The Search for My Wits: a Solo TR - 7/13 UD

LegoMom3

WDW vet now exploring "Walt's Park!"
"I have been chosen. Farewell, my friends. I go to a better place."

The time has come, at long last....

for my solo trip to Walt Disney World!!!!

:woohoo:

Well, the planning of it, anyway.

When you're a SAHM to three active boys and also happen to home school, 60 seconds alone in the bathroom is a luxury.... A long weekend away is heaven on earth!:lovestruc

I am also married to THE BEST man on earth, as he is willing to grant me this time away to find and gather my wits. Keeping in mind we have three boys, you know they'll have a major "guy's weekend" at the same time I'm off smelling roses and having tea and doing all sorts of other girlie-girl stuff (which is unusual for me since I would not describe myself as a girlie-girl). I'm also reminded of the recent tv spot for the minivan, where the mom is sitting inside in her robe, chatting with her BFF of the phone, doing her nails and such....and she tells the camera that her husband likes her to spend time in the van because it makes her more relaxed and she gets less headaches.....:rolleyes1 So it wouldn't be fair to say that my darling DH is entirely innocent in his granting my time away for a Disney solo.:lmao:

This magical journey to solo bliss will begin in May. And, it happens to fall over Mother's Day weekend, which is apropos. Or not, depending on your point of view....after all, I wouldn't be a mother without kids, but yet I'm celebrating Mother's Day, in Disney World, without them.

Discuss....

:rotfl:

Originally this trip was going to happen in January (I actually started this PTR back in October, which explains the oddly-placed comment that follows this post!). Then I moved it up to late August, hoping for Free Dining again. Finally, after watching the "Yard Crashers" episode on DIY Network where they went to the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival, the little gears in my head suddenly starting turning. I knew Disney was offering some discounts for spring travel, so a few mouse-clicks and some Fuzzy Disney Math and voila!....I now have a May trip and will get to see the F & G Festival! It's also a good way to "convince" the kids that they would be bored on such a trip and explain why mom is going alone.

Yeah, right.

You know, there are LOTS of TRs and PTRs on the DIS boards. I would be honored if you chose to follow along with mine.:flower3: I like to think I have some talent in writing, but I'm also pretty good with the camera so I do promise that if you stick around, your eyes will be treated to some pretty nice photographic pixie dust (more so in the TR that follows, but I'll toss some in here now and then as a teaser....:rolleyes:).

And so it begins......

Chapters to follow here:

-----------------------------------------------

Great!...Now I have guilt!
Don't Forget to Pack....
And in case you get hungry...
Caution: Mom on Vacation
You did WHAT??!
Six more sleeps!!!
Segway (no, not the ride)
It's HERE!
Is this food legal??
Is this food legal?? - Part 2
The Best Mother's Day EVER!!!
The Best Mother's Day EVER!!! - Part 2
My Inner-Commando Takes Over -- Part 1

Woo-HOO!!!!!!!!! Mama's writin' another PTR!:banana:

This PTR is unique for me in that I have never, ever written a PTR for a SOLO trip!! Can I write for 2 months, about a trip that is shorter than the norm and only involves one person?!....

You betcha, baby!:thumbsup2

This is my long-awaited solo trip to the World. Pure heaven. I can hardly slow my mind down long enough to get the thoughts straight! So much to do!.....no taking a vote on anything!....Where to go?...what to eat?!...who to meet??!! (which kind of begs the question....is it weird to be a solo adult and still want your pic taken with the characters?....). I can hear some of you now – You're a mom, and you're going without your kids??! Why YES!...as a matter of fact I am!

Do I feel the least bit of guilt? Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do.... You can't help it. If my kids didn't care much for Disney (oh perish the thought!!) it would be different. But they love it. Totally and completely. As of this writing they don't know about Mom's little get-away. I intend to put off that news as long as possible! But they've been before and they'll go again. This is Mom's trip.

This trip is my chance to see the magic in my own way, to take in details that I never have time to stop and see when my family is with me. To do whatever I want, on my own schedule. The only thing I can tell you without a doubt that I will not be doing is sleeping in!....lol! I'm looking forward more than ever to those early morning coffee walks. Of course I won't be at Port Orleans Riverside this time...but all Disney resorts offer their own flavor of the Disney magic so I don't expect to be disappointed by my walks around Pop. It'll just be different.

But I'm ready for different. So, so ready....!

Woo-HOO!!!!!!!!! Momma's writin' another PTR!:banana:

And I'm first! :banana::banana::banana:

This PTR is unique for me in three ways: 1) I have never started a PTR more than 2 months out from the trip; 2) I have never written one at this time of year, so I have no idea how the anticipation of a Disney trip will mesh with all the holidays going on at the same time; and 3) I have never, ever written a PTR for a SOLO trip!!

Oh, you are gonna have fun planning something just for you! I promise!

Can I write for a longer period of time, about a trip that is shorter than the norm and only involves one person?!....

I'll be ahead of you, so I'll show you how.

This is my long-awaited solo trip to the World. Pure heaven. I can hardly slow my mind down long enough to get the thoughts straight! So much to do!.....no taking a vote on anything!....Where to go?...what to eat?!...who to meet??!! (which kind of begs the question....is it weird to be a solo adult and still want your pic taken with the characters?....). I can hear some of you now – You're a mom, and you're going without your kids??! Why YES!...as a matter of fact I am!

Uhm, no, it's not weird. It's perfectly normal. Yeah--Normal! I said it.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :rolleyes1

Do I feel the least bit of guilt? Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do.... You can't help it. If my kids didn't care much for Disney (oh perish the thought!!) it would be different. But they love it. Totally and completely. As of this writing they don't know about Mom's little get-away. I intend to put off that news as long as possible! But they've been before and they'll go again. This is Mom's trip. And in my defense, we already have a reservation for Thanksgiving next year.

That makes it all better--knowing there's a plan for everyone else in the near future.

This trip is my chance to see the magic in my own way, to take in details that I never have time to stop and see when my family is with me. To do whatever I want, on my own schedule. The only thing I can tell you without a doubt that I will not be doing is sleeping in!....lol! I'm looking forward more than ever to those early morning coffee walks. Of course I won't be at Port Orleans Riverside this time...but all Disney resorts offer their own flavor of the Disney magic so I don't expect to be disappointed by my walks around Pop. It'll just be different.

Pop Century truly is a fun resort! You will enjoy it--we did!

Congrats on the solo trip! You deserve it, Legomom! :thumbsup2 (uh--I almost blasted out your real name on the Dis, lol) :rotfl2:

I just realized that due to the original date on this puppy, it's still waaaaay back in the archives, despite my recent update.

So I'm "commenting" on myself to knock it back up!

As you were....pirate:

I just realized that due to the original date on this puppy, it's still waaaaay back in the archives, despite my recent update.

So I'm "commenting" on myself to knock it back up!

As you were....pirate:

Is the "oddly placed comment my comment? I was just follwoing the new rule. (Which is probably an old rule by now, so does that make it the old new rule?)

I wanna see the flower and garden festival, so you better take plenty of pictures, missy.

ETA: and once in a while we should comment on ourselves.

(Plus I needed to fix a "typing in the dark snafu")

Now this is something I need to be part of. Going back to read. :goodvibes

Is it wrong that for Mother's Day all I really want is my husband to take my son out to breakfast and give me a few hours of peace? :lmao:

So I'm down with the Disney solo trip, believe me. :thumbsup2

"I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes just in case."

Aahhh, packing. I think people either love it and can't wait to start (even though their trip is still 412 days away....) or they hate it and are frantically stuffing things into suitcases the night before their 6:00am flight. I would say I fall into the first category and have to hold myself back. Now granted, my trip is now officially less than two months away :banana:, but I simply cannot start packing just yet. Mostly. Sort of.

People who love to pack usually also have a bit of a love affair with luggage. Brand names, matching sets...the whole nine yards. I'm not much of a brand-name person myself, but I did find this little gem at Walmart:rolleyes1

100_2384.jpg

For short trips I do not like to check bags. I have become a master at fitting everything I need into one carry-on. It's a challenge, not unlike trying to make the Size 6 pants fit after the holidays.....Actually, I don't wear a size 6 anymore, but I digress. Anywho, when I saw this nifty little piece on the shelf at the store, the bright red color caught my eye. (I like colors. Black is for the timid. Be bold! Be wild!) But my good fortune did not end there, my friends, for tucked neatly away inside this bag, I found....

100_2385.jpg

If there are luggage angels or you-just-scored-a-deal angels, they sang. Inside the already-cool rolling carry-on were a smaller duffel type bag and a cosmetic case! I'm so buying souvenirs on this trip.

And yes, I have started filling my lovely red bag. All my little travel-sized toiletries (LOVE those!) are already in the cosmetic case. And my official Disney poncho is neatly folded and in the front zipper compartment. And....well, that's it, really. But it's a start! And rest assured, I will pack anything and everything I could possibly need, for 4 days, into two little red bags: shirts, shorts, sweatshirt, toiletries, guide books, an extra pair of shoes....

Oh, and my angry eyes.....just in case. ;)

I totally get it. I'm a SAHM with twin boys. I don't homeschool, but my DH is a pilot, so I am often the only adult around for days at a time. I often want a day to myself for Mother's Day - a weekend at WDW sounds great! :thumbsup2

Love, love, love the red luggage. And the interior bags were just a bonus!

Nice job. :thumbsup2

Mrs. Potato Head:...And if you get hungry, here's some cheese puffs and a key. I don't know what it's for, but you never know.... And crayons in case you get bored, and some blue Play-Doh ..... And a dime, call me, and monkey chow.

Mr. Potato Head
: Monkey chow? For what?

Mrs. Potato Head: Well, for the monkeys, of course! Come on, monkeys!

This is it!.....the food chapter!!!! :banana::banana:

Now in the past, our trips have been in September for Free Dining, and, especially with a week's worth of ADRs to decide on and make, there was always something food-related about the trip. I'm a little concerned with myself for still being so ramped up over the food, on my little 4-day solo, that only involves one ADR! (well, technically two, but one isn't a “meal” per se). But I'm on the Quick Service plan this trip, and yes, I'm still thinking (intently....) about the places I'd like to eat while I'm in the World.
So. Sad. :sad2:

I mean, who gets this excited about the food part of a Walt Disney World trip?! Honestly....! Well, um....I do. :flower3: I think it may have something to do with the fact that at home, we don't eat out all that often. So I'm not spoiled and eating out remains a treat. Eating out at Disney is an extra-special treat, and is, in my little world, a reason to get ramped up!!

So without further ado, allow me to delve into the food planning part of my trip!.....

Day 1 – Arrival Day: Assuming I have no delays anywhere, I should be at my resort and ready to head to the parks by 1:00-1:30pm. I plan to spend this day in Epcot, and I have a mid-afternoon ADR at San Angel Inn in Mexico. This is one of two out-of-pocket meals I'm doing. I love the inside of this pavilion and am really looking forward to this meal! The pictures I've seen of the restaurant make the tables appear a bit close together, so I'm not sure how that will be with me dining solo, but hopefully I'll be seated in a corner somewhere and not smack between two large groups!:scared: If I'm suitably hungry by the time I return to the resort at night, I would like to try the food court. Really??, you ask. Why, yes! Truth be told, I love those little individual pizzas that you get at the Disney resort food courts. Not decided on the Tie-Dyed Cheesecake yet....I love me some cheesecake, but all that intense food coloring.....not so much. Double-chocolate cake on the other hand!!!.....wow.

Day 2 – Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom: Ok, there is really only one thing to say about counter-service and AK – Flame Tree BBQ, baby!!!! Woot! On my family's last trip, I was all jazzed about eating here and the day we ended up there...... I wasn't hungry!!! :headache:. Ugh.... So, I'm all fired up again and will be sure that I'm fairly starving by the time they open, for an early lunch! I also love the outdoor seating and the background music that is piped in. I'm gonna get me some ribs and go have a seat out in the veranda and just take it all in....:cloud9:. Later this day is my 2nd OOP “meal,” which is actually the Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian! I'm excited about this on two levels: I've never done anything like this before (kind of hard with a husband and 3 sons in tow), and I've never been to the GF. Can't wait to see this resort! I'm not “girlie” by any stretch of the imagination, but a little “girlie” time in a nice setting like this just seems to fit the bill this trip. I also have two friends who did this tea last year and they rave about it. After tea I'll be heading over to the MK, since it's open until 1am this night!!!!! I love the MK at night and I really love it on an EMH night! Since my big meal at Flame Tree will have been late-morning, and I don't expect to eat a whole lot at Tea, I expect I'll be ready to use my 2nd CS credit for this day sometime this evening. Now, usually at the MK I go straight for Casey's. LOVE me some cheese fries....a little bit of golden gooey heaven on a plate. :lovestruc. But, I was recently clued in to Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and am thinking I'd like to try that. (The self-ordering kiosk is uber-neato, too.)

I should take a moment here to interject a note about Casey's....The last time I ate there, I was in the company of two lovely ladies who I am honored to call friends. It was a gal's weekend away. We were tired and getting punchy. Suffice it to say, I will never, ever be able to eat at Casey's again without thinking of them and the – * ahem * - “conversations" that took place that night.....

But I digress....back to the PTR at hand! So where were we??....oh yeah -

Day 3 – Hollywood Studios and Epcot, I think: So far this day is a big blank in the meal-planning realm. No. Clue. Counter-service is limited at DHS anyway (as far as personal appeal) and nothing is jumping out at me. I may do a full breakfast a Pop this morning and use a snack credit at Starring Rolls or something (and they actually have really good coffee, too!). Or, I might try the Sunset Market area. Seems to me that in the past that wasn't part of the dining plan at all, but I've seen a couple of places there now that do indicate being on the Plan. So we'll see. This day will be a real play-it-by ear day. My late-day plans are very tentative right now. If the weather is nice, I really want to walk from DHS to Epcot. I never knew you could do that and I must try it! So, if I'm hungry at Epcot, I may do the Sunshine Seasons in The Land, or maybe I'll just pop into the Electric Umbrella (I know, I know....standard burger fare but we really like it!). If for weather or other reasons I don't go to Epcot, I'll be heading back to the MK and in that case, it's Casey's all the way!

Day 4 – Departure Day :sad1:: I plan to be up and out first thing this day. I want to check my one bag with luggage services (or with ME if I decide to check it instead of carry-on). Epcot has EMH this morning and I want to be at the gate prior to opening and in the park first thing. I should have one CS credit left at this point so will have to figure out where to use it. Maybe Sunshine Seasons; they have some good breakfast options. Matter of fact, here is a picture of our breakfast there on our last trip....

WDW2008030.jpg

Now, for all those snack credits!....oh where to begin?!! The possibilities are endless, but some of my favorites are:

*Frozen Lemonade
*Ice cream sandwich (the homemade kind with two huge cookies!) *Mickey-head ice cream bars (who doesn't love those?!)
*Rice Krispie treats
*Pastries/cookies

Truth be told, there are so few items that are not considered a snack on the DDP, that the possibilities are just endless. And let's face it, even a simple box of popcorn is something special when you eat it in view of Cinderella Castle, listening to some Main Street ragtime....

Hello my friend :wave:
I'm on my Blackberry, which isn't quote-friendly, and so I shall quote away once I'm home. I just wanted you to know I'm subscribed and SO on board!!! ::yes::

Hello my friend :wave:
I'm on my Blackberry, which isn't quote-friendly, and so I shall quote away once I'm home. I just wanted you to know I'm subscribed and SO on board!!! ::yes::

Here, have some more of these: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: SO glad you're here! I can't believe it's been almost a year since "the" weekend....*sigh*

AHH. . .you are getting park hoppers. Plan on throwing out the plan with those. Trust me. I know. . .

No no, my dear. Herein lies the difference: you had a full week solo. I have exactly 3.4 days.:rolleyes1 There are certain things I want to do in that time and so I need to plan fairly carefully! I would LOVE to be able to just get up and hop on whatever bus came first, but this solo is such a rare treat (and who knows if it'll ever happen again) so I'm being deliberate in my schedule.pirate:
I can save the "throwing out the schedule" for those trips with the kids.:lmao:

Subbing! Your first few posts are cracking me up :rotfl: I have ONE boy and would like more children and to homeschool- but am not sure I can keep up with three boys! I hope my husband is as caring as yours and allows for solo Disney trips!

On your MGM/Epcot day, what about doing lunch somewhere around the Boardwalk area as you walk from MGM to Epcot? We love to do lunch at Beaches and Cream at the BC...not much more than CS for a TS meal...and you can sit at the counter. We love the atmosphere there. Theres also the Fountain at the Dolphin...and lots of CS places around.

Can't wait to hear more!

This magical journey to solo bliss will begin in May.

Seriously...are you channeling your inner Tink? That's only my favorite time to do a solo trip, though I tend to go later in the month than you are. Traditionally I would do it so I was catching F&GF AND Star Wars Weekends.

Fuzzy Disney Math

Oh, you mean like 3a + 2(bx-7) = Disney Trip?

I like to think I have some talent in writing

You are FAR too humble, my friend.

which kind of begs the question....is it weird to be a solo adult and still want your pic taken with the characters?

Ahhhhh....NO. :thumbsup2

The only thing I can tell you without a doubt that I will not be doing is sleeping in

You ARE channeling your inner Tink! I knew it.

"I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes just in case."

OhmiGod. Hands down FAVORITEST Toy Story quote. Ever. In the history of ever.

Pleaaaaase tell me that you have seen the Mr. & Mrs. Tater Head commercial where they're in the car driving on the windy mountain road and she's nagging and he slams on the brakes and her mouth goes flying off the cliff and when they flash back to her she puts her angry eyes in.

Because if not, I need to Google it for you!

Mrs. Potato Head:...And if you get hungry, here's some cheese puffs and a key. I don't know what it's for, but you never know.... And crayons in case you get bored, and some blue Play-Doh ..... And a dime, call me, and monkey chow.

Mr. Potato Head
: Monkey chow? For what?

Mrs. Potato Head: Well, for the monkeys, of course! Come on, monkeys!

Woman, you've made my day by posting the previous and this continuation of the quote in its entirety. Too awesome.

I mean, who gets this excited about the food part of a Walt Disney World trip?!

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!

TINK DOES!!!

I have a mid-afternoon ADR at San Angel Inn in Mexico.

They don't serve it at lunch, unfortunately, but one of my favorite dishes in all of Epicot is served here: Filete Montuleno.

The tables are a little close, but not intimidatingly (is that even a word?!) so. The atmosphere was FABULOUS and the servers were some of the sweetest in the World. I think you'll love it.

I also have two friends who did this tea last year and they rave about it.

Really? You don't say. They must be terribly smart, sweet, intelligent, beautiful, tiara-wearing, Cap'n Jack-lovin' ladies. ;)

I don't expect to eat a whole lot at Tea

Oh, honey, don't kid yourself, depending on what you get, tea can TOTALLY be a full meal. And a good one at that. My favorite parts were the scone with devonshire cream and the Sally Lunn bread with preserves. And I believe I may have gotten the Mad Hatter blend. I'd have to go and double-check though...

I should take a moment here to interject a note about Casey's....The last time I ate there, I was in the company of two lovely ladies who I am honored to call friends. It was a gal's weekend away. We were tired and getting punchy. Suffice it to say, I will never, ever be able to eat at Casey's again without thinking of them and the – * ahem * - “conversations" that took place that night.....

I can't imagine WHAT you could possibly be referring to...coughcrudereferencestoJackSparrowandfriesupandoutthenosecoughsniffle

If the weather is nice, I really want to walk from DHS to Epcot. I never knew you could do that and I must try it!

It's long-ish, but pleasant. I used to do it all the time when I was working for Starwood and staying at the Swolphin for pennies.

Now, for all those snack credits!....oh where to begin?!! The possibilities are endless, but some of my favorites are:

*Frozen Lemonade
*Ice cream sandwich (the homemade kind with two huge cookies!) *Mickey-head ice cream bars (who doesn't love those?!)
*Rice Krispie treats
*Pastries/cookies

Hmmm...

Peeks around.

Wha?

Looks under rug.

No, just dust bunnies.

:scratchin

Where's the Dole Whip on the list?

Here, have some more of these: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: SO glad you're here! I can't believe it's been almost a year since "the" weekend....*sigh*

YOU can't believe it? I think Kat and I might jump ship and head down there because we simply can't stand NOT repeating our girlie weekend this year.

YOU can't believe it? I think Kat and I might jump ship and head down there because we simply can't stand NOT repeating our girlie weekend this year.

Dude.

Is that an offer? I'm so ready.

LegoMom, I love your plans. And the nod to our Casey's meal. It was truly memorable. Actually, when I went in January, I told my mom about it...not in great detail, but you get the gist. :lmao:

Subbing! Your first few posts are cracking me up :rotfl: I have ONE boy and would like more children and to homeschool- but am not sure I can keep up with three boys! I hope my husband is as caring as yours and allows for solo Disney trips!

On your MGM/Epcot day, what about doing lunch somewhere around the Boardwalk area as you walk from MGM to Epcot? We love to do lunch at Beaches and Cream at the BC...not much more than CS for a TS meal...and you can sit at the counter. We love the atmosphere there. Theres also the Fountain at the Dolphin...and lots of CS places around.

Can't wait to hear more!

Welcome!!:wizard: Glad I could make you laugh a bit.....:flower3: I'm thinking hard about what direction to go with the next installment, so stay tuned!

Oh, you mean like 3a + 2(bx-7) = Disney Trip?

EXACTLY!!!:worship:

OhmiGod. Hands down FAVORITEST Toy Story quote. Ever. In the history of ever.

Pleaaaaase tell me that you have seen the Mr. & Mrs. Tater Head commercial where they're in the car driving on the windy mountain road and she's nagging and he slams on the brakes and her mouth goes flying off the cliff and when they flash back to her she puts her angry eyes in.

Because if not, I need to Google it for you!

Woman, you've made my day by posting the previous and this continuation of the quote in its entirety. Too awesome.

YES!...I've seen that ad!! DH and I nearly died laughing the first time we saw it. Classic. And glad I could make your day! I love the Potato Heads in Toy Story 2!!

Really? You don't say. They must be terribly smart, sweet, intelligent, beautiful, tiara-wearing, Cap'n Jack-lovin' ladies. ;)

Indeed....:goodvibes

Oh, honey, don't kid yourself, depending on what you get, tea can TOTALLY be a full meal. And a good one at that. My favorite parts were the scone with devonshire cream and the Sally Lunn bread with preserves. And I believe I may have gotten the Mad Hatter blend. I'd have to go and double-check though...

Yeah, I'm still thinkin' on this one. I was actually looking at the menu earlier today, and wondering if I'd like the British cheese plate. :confused3

I can't imagine WHAT you could possibly be referring to...coughcrudereferencestoJackSparrowandfriesupandoutthenosecoughsniffle

I'll do a little snort*laugh and think of you when I'm there....:rolleyes: And hope nobody's watching cuz that will just look weird.

Where's the Dole Whip on the list?

All right.....you know what? Despite being in the definite DIS-minority around here in my lack of enthusiasm for this frozen concoction, I'm going to have one on this trip......just for my gal Tink.:lovestruc And who knows, I might actually love it after all!:rotfl:

Dude.

Is that an offer? I'm so ready.

LegoMom, I love your plans. And the nod to our Casey's meal. It was truly memorable. Actually, when I went in January, I told my mom about it...not in great detail, but you get the gist. :lmao:

Oh, yeah...I get the gist!!:eek:

:rotfl2:

So dear readers, help me out here....what should I regale you with next in this little PTR? I've done the luggage and packing bit. I've done the food bit (and really, what else IS there?!!...:lmao:). Hmm....must come up with something informative yet witty....:cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter