The Sea Witch Stole My Voice! Our Two Week Land and Sea Adventure! COMPLETE 4/12

Yikes! :scared1: That's scarey that your cards blew out - glad your license got rescued! I'm so excited to see your Tortola pics - it has such a pirate: sound to it - "we're going to TORTOLA!" Can you hear the pirate emphasis in my voice?:rotfl2:

:laughing: I always thought it sounded piratey too! I guess it is appropriate that we had our pirate party that night. ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I get that. Did you ever find yourself thinking during your trip.."Oh, this is going to make a great story for the TR?"
could not be truer jordan.

even the embarasing stuff, which we still share:thumbsup2

are those houses, or hotels on that island, those are ginormous.

Hey! Love your pics! I think its great that you woke up so early to see that! Hopefully I can manage to do that too! :laughing:

So glad your drivers license got saved!! I can't imagine how terrified you must've been!

could not be truer jordan.

even the embarasing stuff, which we still share:thumbsup2

are those houses, or hotels on that island, those are ginormous.

Most of them are houses. Tortola is not as developed/touristy as some of the other islands.

Hey! Love your pics! I think its great that you woke up so early to see that! Hopefully I can manage to do that too! :laughing:

So glad your drivers license got saved!! I can't imagine how terrified you must've been!

My heart was racing! I was very careful with my belongings up on deck 10 from that moment on.

Beautiful pictures! I'd love a vacation home there. :thumbsup2

Bless the person who sabed your license!

As for the sunrise pics. The only time I could catch those is if I was still up from the night before. :rotfl:

Lessa-WOW! Those pics are amazing! You definitely got some great shots! I especially love the ones of the sun streaming through the clouds-just beautiful!!!

I can't wait to read more about your day in Tortola...It really looks like such a neat place!:thumbsup2

Lessa-WOW! Those pics are amazing! You definitely got some great shots! I especially love the ones of the sun streaming through the clouds-just beautiful!!!

I can't wait to read more about your day in Tortola...It really looks like such a neat place!:thumbsup2

Glad you liked the pictures!

I wonder if Disney will someday make Tortola a regular port?

Thanks for getting up early and taking those great pics! Hope the sun came out for your Tortola day!

PS I started my PTR....

Wow Lessa what awesome morning pix !!! That was a close one with your Drivers License!!!!

I am busy planning my 2010 trip with another Grannie :thumbsup2so have been busy with that and am WAY behind on my threads !! Tonite is catch upnite !!:)
1. Catch upon Lesssa ..... done;)

Wow Lessa what awesome morning pix !!! That was a close one with your Drivers License!!!!

I am busy planning my 2010 trip with another Grannie :thumbsup2so have been busy with that and am WAY behind on my threads !! Tonite is catch upnite !!:)
1. Catch upon Lesssa ..... done;)

I am jealous! Our next trip seems so far away!

Your photos are beautiful Lessa, sunrise is such a gorgeous time of day, just wish I could get up to see it more often :rotfl:

Thank goodness you caught your drivers license!!!

Could you imagine all the pain of getting a new driver's license. Well not as hard as getting a passport :)

Your photos are beautiful Lessa, sunrise is such a gorgeous time of day, just wish I could get up to see it more often :rotfl:

Thank goodness you caught your drivers license!!!

I love sunrise as well, in the summer time when I am working the midnight shift I get to see the sky pink up right outside my window.

Could you imagine all the pain of getting a new driver's license. Well not as hard as getting a passport :)

It wouldn't have been too big a pain as I would have still had my passport for id purposes and the day before we left on vacation I had renewed my license so a new card was already in the mail. So I would have been without a license for a few days max. It was the adrenaline of the moment, seeing my license flying through the air, you just start to panic.

So we were finally docked in our first port, Tortola, British Virgin Islands. Tortola was a new port for Disney the summer of 2009 and we were only the second sailing to stop here on their special itinerary. The first sailing had been the previous month (April) and unfortunately there was precious little information/feedback on the boards about the port. A few people posted random thoughts here and there but there was no in-depth info like I had been hoping for. So needless to say we were excited and also a little nervous as we were not sure what to expect with this being our first cruise and in a new port to boot!

Mom and I got ready for our excursion, I decided to just wear my swimsuit under my clothes as I did not want to waste time changing once we arrived at our destination. I threw on some shorts and a tank top over my suit. Also I dug out my sneakers from the closet, usually I would have just worn a pair of flip flops to the beach but we were not going to any ordinary beach and I had read that proper footwear was strongly advised for certain parts of the excursion, many people who have gone to where we were going with just flip flops deeply regretted it later.

So all dressed and our bag for the day packed Mom and I decided to go up to Topsiders to grab some fruit and to stroll the deck and take in the view.

Eventually it was time to meet with our excursion group. According to the navigator we were set to meet our group in Rockin Bar D at the nice early hour of 8:45. This early meeting time didn't bother us as we were up early anyways. There was a similar excursion that was leaving later that day at 12:45. I had chosen the earlier time though as we like to get an early start and we also figured the earlier you get somewhere the smaller the crowds.

When we arrived at Rockin Bar D they had cruise staff there handing out towels that you could take on the excursion with you. These are the same towels that are provided at the pools on board. They are just regular sized bath towels so if you like to have a nice big beach towel then it is best to bring your own but know that it is not necessary and it can save you a lot of room in your luggage.

I grabbed a couple towels for Mom and I and then we grabbed a seat and waited for our instructions. David, a CM from Canada, soon welcomed us and explained how things were going to work. First one person from the group needed to get in line and show the excursion tickets to the staff member from the company running our excursion, they would then provide us with wristbands, a food voucher (lunch was included in the excursion price) and a transportation ticket. A Disney CM also gave you a sticker, for each member of your party, that you were to wear in a prominent location on your body so they could easily identify you. Our group this day was "Blue Belle".

Once everybody was checked in and stickered up they raised a placard with "Blue Belle" on it that matched our stickers and then led us off the ship. As we left the ship they scanned our key cards. They do this every time you get on and off the ship so they know exactly who is on/off the ship at all times.

We were the only cruise ship in port that day which was of course very lucky, it would mean low crowds.

Our destination was on another island so we had to get on a smaller ferry boat for our 30 minute ride over to Virgin Gorda which is also part of the British Virgin Islands.

Mom and I made sure that we were towards the front of the group so that we could grab the primo spots up top in the open.

The Speedy's ferry/shuttle boat that we were taking was docked right alongside the Magic so literally we stepped off the Magic took a couple steps across the pier and we were on the ferry, very convenient! As we boarded they checked our wristbands to make sure that we were with the excursion.

Mom and I had the unfortunate luck of getting some silly girls sitting behind us. First they were arguing about the length of time one of them takes to shower. After they argued about that for a bit they moved on to arguing about Jon and Kate Plus 8, this was right when the divorce scandal was just starting up. What a joy it was getting to listen to them bicker back and forth, they were very annoying!

Luckily once we started moving they quieted down. On the way over our guide gave us a history of the area and various islands as we passed them, of course we were up top in the open instead of inside so we couldn't hear her 100% over the wind but we were still able to make out some of what she said.

D11082.jpg

D11083.jpg

D11084.jpg

D11086.jpg

This nice big house is apparently owned by a televangelist, nice to know where their money goes.....

D11087.jpg

D11090.jpg

We saw lots of sailboats on the ride over

D11091.jpg

D11092.jpg

D11095.jpg

D11096.jpg

D11097.jpg

D11098.jpg

D11099.jpg

D11100.jpg

D11102.jpg

Just look at that water! Unfortunately the cloudy skies prevented the water from truly sparkling. Imagine what it would look like with the sun shining brightly down on it, the colour would be much more vibrant. Unfortunately the camera just couldn't capture the true colour without the sun so you will just have to take my word for it that it was beautiful.

D11103.jpg

D11104.jpg

D11105.jpg

D11106.jpg

D11107.jpg

D11108.jpg

I was so excited as we got closer and closer to Virgin Gorda. Virgin Gorda means "Fat Virgin" and was named by Christopher Columbus as he reported that the island looked like a fat woman lying on her side when he first viewed it from the horizon.

Our ferry docked in the main town, Spanish Town, and then we were loaded onto some waiting open air safari buses that would take us on a mini-island tour and then deliver us to our ultimate destination.

Our ferry

D11109.jpg

One of the buses and one of our guides

D11110.jpg

Click here to continue

Lessa--I love how you include so many details and tips in your TR!! Thank you!! The island looks beautiful--can't wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter