The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June

Is it true that the Grads have to be at DCA by 10:00pm or they aren't allowed in? That would be great because then we would have DL from 10:00pm - 12:00pm teen free!
This is an excellent question... I think the answer is yes but I'd love to have someone else weigh in...

That is why we have always done March, May, October (still hot for my preference, but MHP was fun) and November trips. does early June tend to already be hot already ? I realize it can vary widely
Not to me but it really depends on your version of "hot". Others here are more familiar with the weather as I visit from out of the area (from the San Joaquin Valley, where it's commonly over 100 in the summer). So, my version of hot is gonna be quite different from yours ;) Whenever we've done June it was always pool weather and water rides have long lines by afternoon but people aren't complaining all over the park about how hot it is. It's always shorts during the day and jeans at night for me. Since you want to go in summer, June is your best bet, the heat doesn't really kick into high gear until Jul-Aug. You may find this link to be of help to get an idea of what is usual and what is possible temperature wise in Anaheim for each month. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=6

Is it true that the Grads have to be at DCA by 10:00pm or they aren't allowed in? That would be great because then we would have DL from 10:00pm - 12:00pm teen free!

That's supposed to be the rule. However, we went in 2013, and they were 'flexible' with it to say the least. Grad Nighters shut down Disneyland and THEN hopped over to DCA. We had issues and actually got tickets to go back. We were not the only ones they did this with. I'd have to imagine that with the new rule changes on who can attend, and money lost on customer service fixes, that they should be enforcing the 10PM start this year.

That's supposed to be the rule. However, we went in 2013, and they were 'flexible' with it to say the least. Grad Nighters shut down Disneyland and THEN hopped over to DCA. We had issues and actually got tickets to go back. We were not the only ones they did this with. I'd have to imagine that with the new rule changes on who can attend, and money lost on customer service fixes, that they should be enforcing the 10PM start this year.
What are the new rule changes?

What are the new rule changes?

I don't remember them exactly but it was something regarding who could sign groups up. Before, I believe that a parent could technically chaperone a group, but now the school has to be on board and do more. It helps with accountability.

Whoa. Don't like heat AND don't like crowds? June will be better than Jul-Aug but you could still be quite unhappy. Grad nites have crowd impacts but more important (just my opinion) is that the beginning of June will have all of the lower tier pass holders squeezing in their last visits before being blocked out for the rest of summer & every week after Memorial brings more families into the parks as more schools get out for summer. There were reports of light crowds mid-end of June but your likelihood of hotter weather increases. Might want to consider going May again as it doesn't all calm down crowd wise until the kids are back in school and the weather doesn't cool back down until Fall.

Wait - ACK! I think you are saying Late June would be better? crowd-wise? Is that so? Which weeks in June 2016 would you suggest, if I may be so bold :)

Wait - ACK! I think you are saying Late June would be better? crowd-wise? Is that so? Which weeks in June 2016 would you suggest, if I may be so bold :)
The reports from last summer had the crowds calming down a bit after local Annual Passes were blocked for summer before July. The current AP calander on the DL website is only for 12 months so you can't know when precisely AP wise until closer in & grad Nite dates don't release for longer (4-5 months maybe? I don't quite remember). So no specific week suggestions here, sorry.

Last edited:

The reports from last summer had the crowds calming down a bit after local Annual Passes were blocked for summer before July. The current AP calander on the DL website is only for 12 months so you can't know when precisely AP wise until closer in & grad Nite dates don't release for longer (4-5 months maybe? I don't quite remember). So no specific week suggestions here, sorry.

I looked at grad night dates for 3 years, and came to the conclusion that they could be all the way to the weekend of the 18th, since other years were into the 20's. What weeks traditionally are the AP's blocked after? Where would I find that?

I may just be willing to risk it and start on the 13th regardless and just go mornings for rides and evenings for walks.

I looked at grad night dates for 3 years, and came to the conclusion that they could be all the way to the weekend of the 18th, since other years were into the 20's. What weeks traditionally are the AP's blocked after? Where would I find that?

I may just be willing to risk it and start on the 13th regardless and just go mornings for rides and evenings for walks.
That's always a good plan, fist thing in the morning the parks are always the quietist. Here's the current info on APs https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/ You're supper planning ahead, so you'll know what to expect and you'll be able to enjoy yourselves quite a lot! It's summer, not Christmas ;) Busy, but not unmanageable as long as you take advantage of first thing in the morning. That's how we do it!

I have friends that are wanting to take their 3 young kids to disneyland on June 3rd and 4th. This is going to be their 1st ever trip to disneyland and wouldn't you know, it's during Grad Nights. Do you think they should go another time??? I would love anyone's opinions!

IMO grad nights are not a problem at all if you plan right. How small are your friends kids? If they are little than they likely wouldn't stay that late in the parks?

In my experience Grad nights weren't any different from any other day in the parks until later in the afternoon. And the trip I took with grad nights in it the crowds seemed bigger on the days without grad nights. My theory is that more people stayed away from grad nights.

Mornings are still the best time to get things done in the parks whether it's a grad night or not. Then as the park gets busier go to the smaller less thrill ride attractions that the teens will be less inclined to go to in droves. See shows, do the kiddie rides etc. Use FP like always and there is no reason they can't have a great time even with the grad nights.

I was there last week, and even though there weren't grad nights the days I went, there seemed to be many high school and college grad groups roaming about making their own "grad night". So I think late may/early june is always grad packed. Space mountain seems to have especially long wait times on official grad nights, like tonight, but other rides don't seem so bad. 2 of the days I went had early closures of one park though, so maybe forcing everyone into 1 park after 6 caused it, along with the leadup to the 24 hr anniversary event.

IMO grad nights are not a problem at all if you plan right. How small are your friends kids? If they are little than they likely wouldn't stay that late in the parks?

In my experience Grad nights weren't any different from any other day in the parks until later in the afternoon. And the trip I took with grad nights in it the crowds seemed bigger on the days without grad nights. My theory is that more people stayed away from grad nights.

Mornings are still the best time to get things done in the parks whether it's a grad night or not. Then as the park gets busier go to the smaller less thrill ride attractions that the teens will be less inclined to go to in droves. See shows, do the kiddie rides etc. Use FP like always and there is no reason they can't have a great time even with the grad nights.
They are 3, 7 and 10 years old. The want to stay late enough to see the parade and fireworks too though......

I was at the parks on the first Grad Nite of the current season and it was very noticeable that it was Grad Nite. That Wednesday afternoon/evening compared to the Wednesday the week prior was very crowded. Week prior rides were practically walk on with longest waits at 20-30 minutes, on Grad Nite most walk-ons were averaging 15 minute waits and other rides had 45+ waits.

Do the grads tend to care about the parade? Trying to decide if we could watch Paint the Night on a grad night or if it would be better on a non-grad night. I know the general consensus is they are there to ride rides, not see shows. Wasn't sure if this carried over to the parade.

We went yesterday for a few hours and it was packed, there were grads everywhere ! Not doing that again.

We went yesterday for a few hours and it was packed, there were grads everywhere ! Not doing that again.

OH NO!!! I have 3 Grad Nights when I'm there next week. I really don't need to hear this, I'm stressed out enough. I really wish that I could have taken my trip at a different time but I couldn't.

OH NO!!! I have 3 Grad Nights when I'm there next week. I really don't need to hear this, I'm stressed out enough. I really wish that I could have taken my trip at a different time but I couldn't.

Don't freak out! Tons of things can cause the parks to be full - some you can plan for, some you can't. I think a lot of locals steer clear of grad nights so I personally think it all evens out. I have been to many grad nights and I have never had any big issue. But I treat grad nights like pretty much any night - I try to really do the thrill rides in the morning and I try and stay flexible about my evening plans - hop between parks, etc. Although that doesn't really work for parades and fireworks. But I don't see teens wanting to sit still for a long time to save a good seat either.

I've said on many grad night threads and I'll say again that the rudest people I have run into at DL have been adults, not grads. And luckily I haven't run into many and I do my best to ignore them - or pity them for being so grumpy!

A few years ago my trip ended up being during the opening of Cars Land. One day DCA was shut down and another was the Cars Land opening. I was beyond anxious (it was a trip planned well ahead of these dates being announced) I was sure the day DCA was closed would be a nightmare - and it ended up being the best day of the trip!

I hope you have a great trip!

Don't freak out! Tons of things can cause the parks to be full - some you can plan for, some you can't. I think a lot of locals steer clear of grad nights so I personally think it all evens out. I have been to many grad nights and I have never had any big issue. But I treat grad nights like pretty much any night - I try to really do the thrill rides in the morning and I try and stay flexible about my evening plans - hop between parks, etc. Although that doesn't really work for parades and fireworks. But I don't see teens wanting to sit still for a long time to save a good seat either.

I've said on many grad night threads and I'll say again that the rudest people I have run into at DL have been adults, not grads. And luckily I haven't run into many and I do my best to ignore them - or pity them for being so grumpy!

A few years ago my trip ended up being during the opening of Cars Land. One day DCA was shut down and another was the Cars Land opening. I was beyond anxious (it was a trip planned well ahead of these dates being announced) I was sure the day DCA was closed would be a nightmare - and it ended up being the best day of the trip!

I hope you have a great trip!

I was there the week Cars Land opened, I planned my trip before they scheduled the opening. I understand how busy it was I was there!!! Next week is also the last week for the SL pass holders to go before they are blocked. So, I don't think the locals are going to pay much attention to the Grad Nights. They are going to want to get in and see the 60th Anniversary stuff before they are blocked. It's just going to add to the chaos of next week. Just like when Cars Land opened I will have to deal. I just have bad luck when it comes to planning the timing of my trips!!!!

I was there the week Cars Land opened, I planned my trip before they scheduled the opening. I understand how busy it was I was there!!! Next week is also the last week for the SL pass holders to go before they are blocked. So, I don't think the locals are going to pay much attention to the Grad Nights. They are going to want to get in and see the 60th Anniversary stuff before they are blocked. It's just going to add to the chaos of next week. Just like when Cars Land opened I will have to deal. I just have bad luck when it comes to planning the timing of my trips!!!!

My trip is right after yours - maybe we should check in with each other before we plan anything else :) You are probably right about the SL pass holders - I don't have a good concept of how many people that accounts for. I know some So Cal pass holders will be blocked for my trip but not all of them. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter