The Saga of our Disney Dream home - It's about time!

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
I’m starting this thread because what I thought (silly me) would be a relatively simple process, has turned into an incredibly long and drawn out, aggravating struggle. Since I want to keep my PTR mainly about our upcoming trip to WDW with a little appetizer of a quick trip to DLR, I’ve decided to post here about the future of our Disney Dream home.

For those who are not up to speed here is the history in a nutshell. This is the story of me (Alison) & Fran (my Disney Spouse and partner of over 15 years).

1) About a year ago, two investments that we inherited from my FIL sold. Fran and I decided not to reinvest them and took the money. While the IRS was happy to relieve us of some of that financial burden, we were still able to keep a nice chunk of the cash.

2) In September 2012, we started to work with an architect for plans to build a second story on the residence of my deceased FIL. Concurrently we also looked to see if there were any already built homes on the market that would meet our needs. We could use the funds we had set aside for building the addition as our down payment. If that happened we could rent out the FIL’s house (which we recently remodeled prior to learning that the investments would sell).

3) No homes met our needs so we proceeded with the plans for the addition. The house was in a historical district and had to pass a hearing where the neighbors would be allowed to air their grievances. Well they had PLENTY of grievances, and after the hearing we vowed that we wouldn’t live on that block if you paid us a million dollars! That was July 8th, 2013.

4) So about four weeks ago we kicked our search for a house into overdrive. Within the first week, we found a perfect house. In a five day period, we had viewed the house three times. In less than a week, we put in an offer, and then had to go through the process of pre-approval for a loan. This took another five days. When we could finally present the offer to the seller, her DIL went and had a baby, postponing the appointment. :headache: In the meantime another offer came in.

5) Originally we were approved for a loan of 49% with us putting down 51% as a down payment. When we heard about the “other offer” we told our realtor we would have to “walk away” since we didn’t have any more money. Then they told us they could come up with additional money to give us some room for a counter offer. So late last night we were again printing, signing, scanning and emailing yet another offer to be submitted today with the competing offer.

6) So the offers were presented today. They were identical! The seller countered with “Best offer to be accepted”. Now we didn’t’ have any more money since we used up all the money that we were told that we had from the loan broker. However “magically” the loan broker was able to come up with another amount equal to the one that he gave us last night. I don’t like this loan broker.

Luckily, Fran and I are not strangers to the loan broker field, and we actually have our own broker who helped us out a few years ago. This morning she called him and had him look into some financing options. We are going to send him paperwork over the weekend and see if he can do better for us. We now have two counter offers in with our agents. One of them is $1 above the asking price of the house, the other is $10,000 above the asking price.

I decided that I needed to do a little bit of Columbo work and asked our agent if they knew anything about the competing buyers. Evidently, they are a straight couple, the husband is a doctor and he really is meh on the house. The wife is in love with the house. Also our agent says that in his experience in Real Estate, Doctors tend to be very tight with their money. I am hoping that his “meh-ness” will help him to underbid on the house and we won’t have to pull out the big guns offer.

So that’s where we stand tonight. Supposedly we will hear something tomorrow, but I’m going to hope for Sunday. The other thing is that the Doctor is NOT prequalified for a loan and we are putting down a much larger down payment, so over all we look a whole lot better on paper. Cross your fingers folks!

I’m not posting any pictures of the house here yet so as not to jinx the thing. I’m already too attached and am afraid if we don’t get it. Believe me, if we get the place you will get blow by blow details of the move in and decoration. So much so that most of you won’t need to come to the housewarming party! :rotfl2:

If you’re interested in hearing more about the house, this is where I will be posting it so as not to hijack my WDW PTR any longer with chatter about our house! If we don’t get it, I will continue my saga on the search for our Disney Dream home.

And anyone who is new here, the reason that it will be a Disney Dream home is that we have been collecting Disney artwork, figures and anything else Disney for decades. We have been on the lookout for over a year to find a big enough house to display all of our cool Disney stuff!!!!

This is going to be the next best Disney place in Southern California, well next to DL, the Archives at the Studios, and in Glendale, maybe a few of the Disney stores…and so on and so on! But you get the idea! :lmao:

Links
The Walk in Fridge
The Cul de Sac and Yard
Pool and Tiki Bar
The Family Room, Our Main Living Space
We Found a Dining Room Table
We got some Mickey Chandeliers
The House is all Ours
Starting Work on the House
Closet Work
Closet Work, Part 2
Our First Piece of Furniture in the House
Some Knick Knacks for the House
Electrical Work
The Completion of the Bedroom Closets
The Master Bath Toilet is More Comfortable Now
The First Disneyfication of the House
Progress in Olga's Wing
New Chairs and a Kitchen Upgrade
The Haunted Mansion Room Begins to Take Shape
Rough Sketch of the Haunted Mansion Room
Some Decorations for the Haunted Mansion Room
Another Decoration - Dead Men Tell No Tales
Plans Finally!We have a matching Bedroom Set!
Moving Plans and more details
We're Finally Moved in Part 2
First home cooked meal in the house and small organization
Mega Cabinets moved
Pantry Done, TVs mounted and Tub Fixed
KVC Preview

I'm here and marking my spot in line to spend the night with Olga when I come visit. :)

Good luck on the counter offer!

Jill in CO

I'm in! Really hoping this works out for a wonderful couple very deserving. But if it doesn't then at least the next one might have the ability for a HM movie room! There is always a silver lining on the disboards! :-) right we ya Alison and Fran. Paula xx

Fingers, toes, eyes crossed that everything works out! I've been following on the other board and have finally had time to stop and post and send you well wishes. Good luck!!!!

I was meaning to reply on the other thread yesterday, but ran out of time. So I will do so now on here. I can't believe that they did not tell you that there was another option for the loan, too. I am sorry that you now have to compete with another offer. I hope that you hear soon and that it is good news. This is nerve-wrecking for me so I can't even imagine how it is for you.

Corinna

Oh good luck to you! I know how nerve-wracking this process can be. I'll be watching for updates.popcorn::

Fingers crossed!! When you get your house , please give us the details...# of bedrooms, # of baths, square feet , yard etc. Im so excited for you guys and a teeny bit jealous. Post lots of pixs. Prayers said.

Oh my goodness! How could it be exactly the same :faint: nobody who's meh about this beautiful house should be able to live there.

I'm here and marking my spot in line to spend the night with Olga when I come visit. :)

Good luck on the counter offer!

Jill in CO

Olga will be happy to share her room with you, as long and you don't mind drool!

I'm in! Really hoping this works out for a wonderful couple very deserving. But if it doesn't then at least the next one might have the ability for a HM movie room! There is always a silver lining on the disboards! :-) right we ya Alison and Fran. Paula xx

Yep! Let's hope! Fran plans to build a room on the second story for a HM Movie room.

Fingers, toes, eyes crossed that everything works out! I've been following on the other board and have finally had time to stop and post and send you well wishes. Good luck!!!!

:welcome: for coming out of lurkdom!

I am here. I managed to read a page...:lmao:

Good for you Usunz! Glad to have you! I guess by posting on the CB you're bound to come in!

I was meaning to reply on the other thread yesterday, but ran out of time. So I will do so now on here. I can't believe that they did not tell you that there was another option for the loan, too. I am sorry that you now have to compete with another offer. I hope that you hear soon and that it is good news. This is nerve-wrecking for me so I can't even imagine how it is for you.

Corinna

Yes it does suck. I hope that they don't want it as much and aren't willing to offer as much. We'll just have to see. This realtor really wants us to get it, and he also REALLY wants to visit a certain fine dining establishment! :rotfl2: Plus being a Disney nut, he wants to see all of our collectibles in the house. I haven't received the form for the second offer yet, so need to sign that before anything happens.

Hope it works out, keep us updated!

Thanks! :goodvibes and :welcome:

Oh good luck to you! I know how nerve-wracking this process can be. I'll be watching for updates.popcorn::

Thank you very much, it sure is nerve-wracking! and :welcome:

Fingers crossed!! When you get your house , please give us the details...# of bedrooms, # of baths, square feet , yard etc. Im so excited for you guys and a teeny bit jealous. Post lots of pixs. Prayers said.

I can't believe that I didn't include that. It's four bedrooms, five baths (one is in the pool house). About 3300 sq ft and the yard is like 12,000 square feet. I'll put a link to the photo collage that everyone on my PTR saw earlier.

Oh my goodness! How could it be exactly the same :faint: nobody who's meh about this beautiful house should be able to live there.

EX-actly! I hope that they don't get it, we NEED this place!

Here is a link to the photo bucket story that I created on the house.

Dream House photos

" meh" on THAT house :furious: we're all with you kid and very protective of you & Fran and that HOME I like that he is NOT pre-qualified I also LOVE your Columbo skills....good thoughts good thoughts

OK, I'm in...now I need to go catch up and read everything.

" meh" on THAT house :furious: we're all with you kid and very protective of you & Fran and that HOME I like that he is NOT pre-qualified I also LOVE your Columbo skills....good thoughts good thoughts

Thank you! You are so sweet.

OK, I'm in...now I need to go catch up and read everything.

Glad that you made it over here.

UPDATE:

I'm not exactly sure where we are actually at. Let's just say that I don't want to really talk about what we're in the middle of on an online in a public forum. I'm REALLY hoping that we will get this place, but things took a rather strange turn today. Let's just say that if things work out, it was a very EXPENSIVE turn of events! I'm still waiting back to hear a final answer.

Thank you! You are so sweet.

Glad that you made it over here.

UPDATE:

I'm not exactly sure where we are actually at. Let's just say that I don't want to really talk about what we're in the middle of on an online in a public forum. I'm REALLY hoping that we will get this place, but things took a rather strange turn today. Let's just say that if things work out, it was a very EXPENSIVE turn of events! I'm still waiting back to hear a final answer.

This tale has more twists and turns than Lombard St. Here's some major pixiedust: for you and Fran.

Jill in CO

This tale has more twists and turns than Lombard St. Here's some major pixiedust: for you and Fran.

Jill in CO

Yeah, I'll be happy to relate the story in 3D with anyone who stays in Olga's wing! Provided we have one, but better not to post stuff online! :lmao:

Is this more difficult than most folks? Because I wanted to puke about an hour ago! :rotfl:

Yeah, I'll be happy to relate the story in 3D with anyone who stays in Olga's wing! Provided we have one, but better not to post stuff online! :lmao:

Is this more difficult than most folks? Because I wanted to puke about an hour ago! :rotfl:

:grouphug: Yes, your situation seems way more difficult than anything I've heard of. The universe is really making you work for this....but it will totally be worth it in the end! Hang in there! You can always PM or email or FB if you need to vent privately.

Jill in CO

Still keeping my fingers crossed.pixiedust:

At least that's what I'll blame all my typos on.:rotfl:

:grouphug: Yes, your situation seems way more difficult than anything I've heard of. The universe is really making you work for this....but it will totally be worth it in the end! Hang in there! You can always PM or email or FB if you need to vent privately.

Jill in CO

Thanks, and I hope it works out! At least sort of. We will not find a better place, but the price went through the roof! Crazy, but I will love living there if we get to!

Still keeping my fingers crossed.pixiedust:

At least that's what I'll blame all my typos on.:rotfl:

Thanks, we'll see! Once we actually give the down payment, I will call it real!

I am here and the pictures of the house looks very nice.

Thanks Bret! I hope it ends up working out! I have been so busy with this stupid house, I haven't been able to keep up with others, TRs I need to catch up on yours since you will be coming to the Expo soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter