The Running Thread - 2016

Oh I missed this thread and now I have 38 pages to catch up on!

I have very little concrete planned for the fall so far, but I do plan to run 2-3 halfs then and maybe some shorter ones too. I had big grand plans to run halfs in March/April/May/June but my training isn't going so hot and I've decided to scratch March and April, and do May/June/July instead. I'm trying to qualify for Half Fanatics! My plans last fall got screwed up by W&D being shortened. :(

Here are my plans so far... I am sure more will be added. All of the 5K's I am doing are to fulfill series requirements. I need to do 5 of 8 races for local series Will Run for Beer and 6 of 8 races w/ 2 > 5K for another local series, Seacoast Road Race Series. I decided last year that I preferred running the 8-10K distance and up and I wasn't going to run as many 5K's... and now I think I'm running more 5K's than I did last year just so I can get free jackets again. :D

I feel like I need to explain the "tshirt" goal for my August 10K... there are a fixed number of shirts, and the percentage of shirts awarded in each age group is based on the percentage of finishers in that age group the previous year. So, to use some round numbers, if there's 1000 shirts and 10% of the finishers in 2015 were in the Female 40-49 age group, then the first 100 women 40-49 in 2016 get a shirt, and all the age groups are calculated like that. I would like to win a shirt this year... it might be tough, I think I missed a shirt by like 10 minutes last year (I ran 1:17:xx) in 30-39, but I just turned 40 in December, so I'm in a new maybe a tiny bit slower age group. :D And I already have a shiny new PR of 1:13:xx from a New Year's Day 10K, so... maybe! :)

February
20 - Miranda - Smuttynose Palooza 5K (NG / N/A)

April
4 - Miranda - April Fool's 4 Miler (NG / N/A)
10 - Miranda - Beyond the Rainbow 5K (NG / N/A)
24 - Miranda - North Shore 10 Miler (NG / N/A)
30 - Miranda - Children's Museum of NH 5K (NG / N/A)

May
14 - Miranda - Maine Coast Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)
29 - Miranda - Runners Alley/Redhook 5K (NG / N/A)

June
5 - Miranda - Covered Bridges Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)
11 - Miranda - Market Square Day 10K (NG / N/A)
26 - Miranda - Smuttynose Will Run for Beer 5K (NG / N/A)

July
9 - Miranda - Old Port Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)

August
18 - Miranda - Saunders at Rye Harbor 10K (tshirt / N/A)

September
10 - Miranda - Fox Point Sunset 5 Miler (NG / N/A)

I didn't realize I had so many races planned already until I typed it all out. :o Especially April. :o

So I am at least thinking about running again, and was doing some research on Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. The race is in June and is sold out at this point, but was looking into it as a backup for 2017 if I happen to be close to a BQ. Flights are $700+ from here! Is it because the Duluth airport is small? The flight would be around 50% of the trip if I tried to make it... Anyway, anyone run the marathon or half up there? How's the weather around that time of year and how is the course? From what I have read, it is flat and fast...

Oh I missed this thread and now I have 38 pages to catch up on!

I have very little concrete planned for the fall so far, but I do plan to run 2-3 halfs then and maybe some shorter ones too. I had big grand plans to run halfs in March/April/May/June but my training isn't going so hot and I've decided to scratch March and April, and do May/June/July instead. I'm trying to qualify for Half Fanatics! My plans last fall got screwed up by W&D being shortened. :(

Here are my plans so far... I am sure more will be added. All of the 5K's I am doing are to fulfill series requirements. I need to do 5 of 8 races for local series Will Run for Beer and 6 of 8 races w/ 2 > 5K for another local series, Seacoast Road Race Series. I decided last year that I preferred running the 8-10K distance and up and I wasn't going to run as many 5K's... and now I think I'm running more 5K's than I did last year just so I can get free jackets again. :D

I feel like I need to explain the "tshirt" goal for my August 10K... there are a fixed number of shirts, and the percentage of shirts awarded in each age group is based on the percentage of finishers in that age group the previous year. So, to use some round numbers, if there's 1000 shirts and 10% of the finishers in 2015 were in the Female 40-49 age group, then the first 100 women 40-49 in 2016 get a shirt, and all the age groups are calculated like that. I would like to win a shirt this year... it might be tough, I think I missed a shirt by like 10 minutes last year (I ran 1:17:xx) in 30-39, but I just turned 40 in December, so I'm in a new maybe a tiny bit slower age group. :D And I already have a shiny new PR of 1:13:xx from a New Year's Day 10K, so... maybe! :)

February
20 - Miranda - Smuttynose Palooza 5K (NG / N/A)

April
4 - Miranda - April Fool's 4 Miler (NG / N/A)
10 - Miranda - Beyond the Rainbow 5K (NG / N/A)
24 - Miranda - North Shore 10 Miler (NG / N/A)
30 - Miranda - Children's Museum of NH 5K (NG / N/A)

May
14 - Miranda - Maine Coast Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)
29 - Miranda - Runners Alley/Redhook 5K (NG / N/A)

June
5 - Miranda - Covered Bridges Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)
11 - Miranda - Market Square Day 10K (NG / N/A)
26 - Miranda - Smuttynose Will Run for Beer 5K (NG / N/A)

July
9 - Miranda - Old Port Half Marathon (sub 2:45:00 / N/A)

August
18 - Miranda - Saunders at Rye Harbor 10K (tshirt / N/A)

September
10 - Miranda - Fox Point Sunset 5 Miler (NG / N/A)

Got all your races in the OP. If you decided to add or edit something just let me know and I will fix it. Looks like another Dis member is running the North Shore 10 miler. Thanks for joining in and good luck!

So I am at least thinking about running again, and was doing some research on Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. The race is in June and is sold out at this point, but was looking into it as a backup for 2017 if I happen to be close to a BQ. Flights are $700+ from here! Is it because the Duluth airport is small? The flight would be around 50% of the trip if I tried to make it... Anyway, anyone run the marathon or half up there? How's the weather around that time of year and how is the course? From what I have read, it is flat and fast...

I have never run it, but over the years, everybody I have talked to that has done it has raved about it, so I think it would be a good one. Unfortunately, I don't have answers for any of your specific questions.

As you say it is known to be fast and flat. I have never run it myself, but heard good things from plenty of others. A significant number of Olympic Trial Qualifying Runs were done there for males as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/olympic-trials/a-visual-guide-the-nations-most-exclusive-marathon

Also, 18.7% of runners ran a BQ last year.

http://findmymarathon.com/race-detail.php?zname=Grandmas Marathon

Here is a weather breakdown from previous years:

http://findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=Grandmas Marathon&year=

I'll add it looks like 343/6077 runners ran a sub-3hr. This means you would very likely not be alone in your attempt and would have plenty of people to help carry you to that time. In my book, that is a big plus and something I like to look at when choosing a race based on a time goal.

QOTD: From where do you buy most of your running gear? Do you support local stores? Do you buy online and which sources? Do you need guidance or do you already know exactly what you want? If you shop online, how could a local store bring you in? How much does the sale price vs. personal attention affect you?

We have a couple of LRS here in The Fort, but I only shop at one. It's family owned, it's very small and frankly, it's more geared to women without being "in your face" about being a lady store.

I buy all of my socks, supplements, gear from there - and I order my shoes through them. I go with Brooks specifically because they allow you to order shoes in different sizes (I am a 5.5-6 on the left and an 8.5 on the right) to make a set pair for only $10 more than normal shoe price. I know this still seems expensive, but I used to buy two pairs of shoes and would just donate the unused shoes. I know they use the extra shoes for those with prosthetics and things, so I'm happy to pay the extra per pair so someone other than me might be able to have a great shoe that works for them.

I really fell in love with my preferred LRS when I went in to get fitted for my first pair of TRUE running shoes. I walked in wearing Inov-8s (which I'd done everything prior to W&D/JJ5K in), and the older female owner immediately said "Who is the CrossFitter you know that put you in those shoes?" which, hilariously, was my husband. I see her every week or so when I go in to pick up things, or sign up for local races and whatnot. She would always ask me about my Dopey training - and then actually sent me a congratulations card when I finished.

I was already in Orlando for Christmas and panicked about maybe needing an extra (fourth) pair of shoes, so I called there and talked to one of the gals I always see when I go to shop. They ended up making a pair for me out of current stock they had on hand (they said they'd figure it out with Brooks) and then shipped them to me in Orlando, no charge, in time for me to break them in over New Year's Eve ... and they came in handy after I ran the 10k in my FAVORITE pair of shoes and they got soaked because of the rain.

My LRS is not too convenient to me, so I do not go there often. It's about a 15 min drive away with a bad parking situation. I do go down there occasionally for gels and some odds and ends when I have a $5 coupon from a race, like a handheld water bottle or a reflective vest thing. I get all my apparel and shoes online, though. I feel a little guilty about that, but for apparel, I wear a mix of stuff that you can't get at the store (Sparkle Skirts) and sizes that they don't really carry in any quantities in the store. For shoes, I have no special shoe needs really, and while they do actually carry my brand (Altra), it's hard to pass up the discounts I can get online by buying previous generation models instead of the brand new stuff.

QOTD: Anyone have any tricks when motivation is lacking… the bed magnet is incredibly strong or you don’t feel like going for other reasons? What keeps you going? What do you think of to make you determined to get out there?

For the last 4 years I gave kept all my running logs online and have numerous charts, graphs, and stats breaking down various stuff (I love stats). After every run, adding stuff to all that motivates me when I have times when I lack motivation.

QOTD: From where do you buy most of your running gear? Do you support local stores? Do you buy online and which sources? Do you need guidance or do you already know exactly what you want? If you shop online, how could a local store bring you in? How much does the sale price vs. personal attention affect.

About 95% of all running fuel supplies come from one of two local running companies - Runner's Alley and Maine Running Co in NH and ME (respectively). I try to go local as much as possible. Gear is usually 50/50.

Good morning folks! For those of us with a race this weekend how are you feeling about the challenge? Will the weather be to your liking this weekend? For the non racers, how far is you long run going to be this weekend?
Races this Weekend:
13 - LSUlakes - Mardi Gras Mambo 10k (45:00 / N/A)
13 - @Nole95 - Pensacola Double Bridge 15K (N/A / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Rhythm and Blues Qtr. Marathon (50:00 / N/A)
14 - @DOOM1001 - Ft. Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

Despite not training much the last week or two I am feeling decent about the race tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be ideal. The race starts at 8:00 and temps are forecasted to be around 45, sunny and 6MPH wind from the NE. After the race we will walk over to the farmers market and get some goodies to cook this weekend. Should be a good time. As far as my goal, I think sub 50:00, but no where near my original goal of 45:00.

QOTD: What are the most important features of a race to attract you? Is it distance from you? Scenery? Size of race? Cost? Travel time?

ATTQOTD: I would say it really all comes down to cost. Usually the distance and travel play a large part of the equation. Most of my runs are local are within a hour drive. I do enjoy big races and having nice scenery is nice, but most of the local races follow routes that I run on the weekend. So for those, I usually just concentrate on the task of reaching my goal for that day.

Happy Friday to all and have a good weekend!

If you are looking for a BQ race later in the year you can come run Peak to Creek with me. Flights to Raleigh or Charlotte should be cheaper.

QOTD: What are the most important features of a race to attract you? Is it distance from you? Scenery? Size of race? Cost? Travel time?

ATTQOTD: I would say it really all comes down to cost. Usually the distance and travel play a large part of the equation. Most of my runs are local are within a hour drive. I do enjoy big races and having nice scenery is nice, but most of the local races follow routes that I run on the weekend. So for those, I usually just concentrate on the task of reaching my goal for that day.

Happy Friday to all and have a good weekend!

ATTQOTD: I think the answer is it depends. I do a couple of destination races a year (Disney, Chicago, NY...etc). These are usually bucket list type races. For them it's usually some combination of the locale and the race that's the draw. Most of my races are driven by convenience with location and cost being a minor factors.

Will do! This event is on 9/10? If it isn't let me know and I will change it. Sounds like a challenging run, good luck!

Yes, 9/10. Sorry. From talking to others who ran it last year, it's definitely a tough run, but I hear the scenery makes up for it. :)

I'm trying to qualify for Half Fanatics! My plans last fall got screwed up by W&D being shortened. :(
Ditto for us. It was a real bummer. :(

Good morning folks! For those of us with a race this weekend how are you feeling about the challenge? Will the weather be to your liking this weekend? For the non racers, how far is you long run going to be this weekend?
Races this Weekend:
13 - LSUlakes - Mardi Gras Mambo 10k (45:00 / N/A)
13 - @Nole95 - Pensacola Double Bridge 15K (N/A / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Rhythm and Blues Qtr. Marathon (50:00 / N/A)
14 - @DOOM1001 - Ft. Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

Despite not training much the last week or two I am feeling decent about the race tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be ideal. The race starts at 8:00 and temps are forecasted to be around 45, sunny and 6MPH wind from the NE. After the race we will walk over to the farmers market and get some goodies to cook this weekend. Should be a good time. As far as my goal, I think sub 50:00, but no where near my original goal of 45:00.

Good luck to all the runners this weekend!!! @LSUlakes that weather sounds perfect!!

What are the most important features of a race to attract you? Is it distance from you? Scenery? Size of race? Cost? Travel time?

ATTQOTD: Hmmmmm, there are a lot of factors, but probably number one (with the exception of Disney races) has been distance from me. We don't do much traveling to do races right now. Busy work schedules and three kids at home just make it too tough. We are willing to drive a few hours for a race, but that's about it. We have this eventual dream when the kids are gone and we are retired that we can travel the world and do races at our leisure. :)

ATTQOTD>What motivating tricks do I use?

Health benefits are the reason I started. Not exercising for years can be bad. Running=good for mental and physical health.

The obvious answer is I want to improve, get faster, and better. The more I run hopefully leads to better results. I keep telling myself that.

I also run to avoid getting out of "runner's shape." Not sure what that means to everybody, but to me it's what happens when you take too much time off and your body decides not too cooperate the next time you go out for a leisurely 3 or 5 mile jog. Blisters, pain, soreness all become my friends when I don't stay in shape. Usually I have a 2 1/2 or 3 week window before that happens.

Another huge motivator that works for me is simply having events on the calendar. Having an event to train for makes it easier to get up early in the morning or when it's raining/snowing/sleeting in the winter or 100 degrees with 300 percent humidity in the summer.

For the non racers, how far is you long run going to be this weekend?

10 miles for my long run this weekend.

Size of race and distance to race are my two biggest factors for most races. For 5k's and 10k's, I typically stay away from the really big races.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I am not sure I look at any one thing as being the most important for a race. I have done big and small races, cheap and expensive, small about of bling and pretty impressive bling. Houston area and most of Texas is not very scenic. Travel time might be a factor. Besides Disney, everything else I have done has been driving distance. New Orleans is the farthest race I have done on a Sunday, and drove back home right after the race.

The weekend weather keeps getting warmer and warmer for Sunday morning, humid and 60 to 65 for the start of the race. I think my time goal is the same for my Qtr. Marathon, looking for around 50. If the weather ends up being a little cooler, I might go faster.

ATTQOTD: Features of a race to attract me?

It's hilly where I live, so a flat and fast course can be appealing if I can going after a PR.
Convenience is nice but I really tend to look for something more interesting. Running events are a great way to see a city or experience something new

Airport Runway Race---Fun
Run at the Beach--Fun
Run with the Marines-Patriotic and Fun
Run through Disney Parks-lots of photos and fun.
Run on a Nascar Track-fun
Run through an amusement park and then ride all the rides--- F-U-N!!!

Beer at the end of a race is always appealing too.

QOTD: What are the most important features of a race to attract you? Is it distance from you? Scenery? Size of race?
I think location is big. Local races are nice because you don't have to travel far and Disney races are nice because it's Disney!

I don't think distance matters much as long as it's a distance I'm trained for.

Scenery at Disney is hard to beat, I'm sure other races have good scenery.

I think sometimes charity is good too, I like participating in Susan G Komen races because both of my grandmas had breast cancer.

ATTQOTD: One thing I like to focus on is the course. I'm not a huge fan of out and backs or runs that try and cram the distance into a small or convenient place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!