The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: From where do you buy most of your running gear? Do you support local stores? Do you buy online and which sources? Do you need guidance or do you already know exactly what you want? If you shop online, how could a local store bring you in? How much does the sale price vs. personal attention affect you?
I buy at Dicks after doing research on my own. I live in the middle of no where and there are no local running stores. Heck, we don't even have fast food or a Walmart. Dicks will let me return something if it isn't what I expected, and I probably spend about $1k/yr there on running gear.

One note - running shoes. I get my initial pair at Dicks, but when it is time to buy the other 3 pair if I like them, I look for the best price. With my Dicks discount, it is generally there, but not always when you have on-line stores.

Anyone have any tricks when motivation is lacking… the bed magnet is incredibly strong or you don’t feel like going for other reasons? What keeps you going? What do you think of to make you determined to get out there?[/QUOTE said:
I sign up for a distance race. It really is the only thing that motivates me to run...especially in the winter when it's cold and snowy. I also run with a running group on weekends, which they have their own Facebook page. The group also helps with motivation.

[B said:
QOTD: [/B]From where do you buy most of your running gear? Do you support local stores? Do you buy online and which sources? Do you need guidance or do you already know exactly what you want? If you shop online, how could a local store bring you in? How much does the sale price vs. personal attention affect you?

We actually have several running stores and I try to use them as much as possible. One in particular I do most of my buying from. On occasion I will buy from the others. I pretty much know what I want, but they make sure that I am fitted properly especially if it is a new item that I am trying.

ATTQOTD: I'm a mix of local running store and online. I'll use my local store to try on shoes and get a feel for them, buy a pair there and then go online and buy my second pair at a lower price. Nutrition usually comes from the local sporting goods chain or Costco.

For apparel I like to hit the expos even if I'm not running the event. Generally the local run shops will have good deals on stuff.

QOTD: From where do you buy most of your running gear? Do you support local stores? Do you buy online and which sources? Do you need guidance or do you already know exactly what you want? If you shop online, how could a local store bring you in? How much does the sale price vs. personal attention affect you?

I buy just about everything online from Road Runner Sports. Back in the early 1990's, I lived in San Diego for a while, and I fell in love with their headquarters store there (which I believe was their only store at the time, but I may be wrong). At that time, they were different that any other shoe store: you could try shoes on, take them for a run outside, and repeat as many times as you needed until you found the perfect running shoe. After I moved away, it was simple to call them, order with their knowledge on how much to size up (shoe size + 1/2, etc), and if you didn't like what you got, they made the returns easy as well. Then, when everything went online, they made it easy to filter through the shoes (I prefer neutral plus shoes), and continued to denote what size compared to your street shoe size as well as maintained a very relaxed return policy (which I very seldom use, but it's never a problem).

I used to buy almost all of my shoes online from Running Warehouse...they only ship to the US but we are only an hour from Michigan so I would just get them shipped there. No sales tax, no duty and WAAAAAAAY cheaper than in Canada. But now our dollar sucks and it isn't worth it for me to pay 40% exchange :( The last few pairs I have bought have been from the local independant running stores as well as one pair from a big box sports store. I do enjoy the local shops, they are always interested in what I have going on and I've gotten to know a few of the employees in there over the years.

My purchasing is a mixed bag. Most of my apparel and training fuel is purchased locally at either Dick's or REI. I purchase shoes online from whatever site has the best deal on last year's model (eBay, 6pm.com, brooks.com, etc). That's an advantage to having one model of shoe and knowing exactly what size I need. Accessories, I generally purchase from Amazon (running belts, headphones, etc) due to the cost advantage.

I am very particular about my gear, apparel, etc. It's very difficult to get drawn into a local niche running store because their inventories and selections are very limited. I research my gear extensively online and then buy it where I can get it cheapest. I've yet to find a store clerk who knows as much about the products and alternate options available as I do, so visiting them can be very frustrating. This isn't limited to running, either, try buying a TV or a car with me sometime!

I am relatively low maintenance runner. My primary expenditure is on shoes, Clif Bloks, and I add some apparel here and there. I wear the Asics Gel Noosa line exclusively for running. They retail at $140 when they first release, but settle into the $70-80 online after about 6 months. I buy the older model until the newer one falls into the sale range, currently I am running in the 10's although the 11's released last month. Will probably buy another pair of 10's before moving to the 11's. I do most of my shopping on Amazon for both shoes and Bloks. I also get Bloks at expos. Apparel is usually from soccer.com (I tend to get sale compression shirts when I purchase my yearly Barcelona jersey) or Dick's. Sales aren't necessarily important on apparel, but I have a price range that I am not very flexible on when it comes to shirts, shorts, etc. I know, in general, what I have paid for items I've liked in the past and am unlikely to expand beyond those price points.

I have never been to my local running store. I think it is around 20 minutes from my house, but it is not near anything I frequent and I've never really felt an urge to search it out. I do feel a slight bit of guilt at not supporting the local business, but I don't purchase enough running gear to feel like I am really hurting them. If I ever feel like a new model of the Gel Noosa are not working for me I would probably go in to do a fitting before choosing a new shoe.

My sister has had bad experiences at running stores with elitist sales staff that have not treated her well, so that is probably another reason I don't feel a strong urge to search one out.

I have a Road Runner store close to me so that tends to be where I buy my shoes for the most part and some clothes. I'll buy shoes on Amazon if I see a good sale and that's where I get my nuun and clif bloks. I buy a lot of work out clothes from Target and Old Navy.

ATTQOTD: All over! Shoes, socks, hats/visors/ water bottles, Nuun and gels come from Running Warehouse online. Tights and capris from Athleta online. Tops from Dick's, either in-store or online, or RRS online. Sparkle Skirts online. Bras and miscellaneous tops/jackets from Target C9, online or in-store.

There's only one local running store within 30 minutes of me and I was thoroughly unimpressed with their service the one time I went so I've never been back.

I avoid "expert" guidance like the plague because, per my sports med doc, I have "very complicated feet." Running store people always want to put me into something that's not right for my weird mechanics because I don't fit neatly into any of their categories. I only like Under Armor short sleeve tops, and Asics singlets - I Google search for the best deals on them, which usually ends up being Dick's or RRS.

I buy most of my gear at expos and online. I've been using the same shoes for years (though some models don't work for me & get skipped) and buy several pairs at a time to put in the closet. I find expos to be the cheapest and online to be most convenient. I've got enough shirts that I don't buy many at all anymore. Same is true for fuel, socks, etc., though I did just buy a new Garmin watch from a discount site in England.

I like to support my local running store when I can. They have the gels I use (E-Gel) and most of the other things I like. They tend to be a bit more expensive but they've cut me breaks before and have a customer loyalty program so it gets close to even. When I buy online its typically at running warehouse. Sometimes I can get a few pairs of shoes for the same price that I can get a single pair at the local place. When that happens I go online. The other place I shop online is a small company called Feed Your Crazy that I like to support. They're based out of Colorado and I like their more edgy designs.

QOTD: Anyone have any tricks when motivation is lacking… the bed magnet is incredibly strong or you don’t feel like going for other reasons? What keeps you going? What do you think of to make you determined to get out there?

ATTQOTD: Sometimes I wind up bagging a run then doing it later in the day. Knowing skipping a run doesn't get me out of it can keep me motivated. A group of running partners definitely helps too

ATTQOTD: It depends. I probably buy 2 or 3 pairs of shoes in store every year. I buy my gu in store. I've bought hydration stuff both online and in store. I tend to by most of my running clothes at target in store. I buy my socks online. I'm price sensitive on shoes. I wear a couple of different models that range from 120 to 160. I usually buy them on clearance online and there usually 50% of more off. I'd definitely be willing to pay more in store, but it's a struggle with shoes. I went into my local fleet feet to ask about shoes last weekend. They only had one of the 3 types of shoes I was interested in and they were full price. I purchased them online that afternoon for half off.

It is a little bit from here, a little from there. Most my clothes I buy online or at Sports Authority or similar big box type stores. For shoes, I tend to visit local running stores to find something that works and then buy them online when I need replacements. Online shopping just makes things so much easier.

@LSUlakes could you add another race for me to the first page?

Run the Rock 6 mile race No goal time or anything special. Here's the description...

Can you rock the rock? Come join us for this 6 mile run at Top of the Rock in Ridgedale, MO where you will challenge your endurance and mental grit while experiencing exhilarating, scenic views you won't find anywhere else. This course is one of the most challenging, rewarding runs you will ever complete. You'll never see Top of the Rock the same way again. This course is for experienced runners and is not designed to be someones first 6 mile run. Be prepared to run over several different surfaces including but not limited to gravel, road, trail, wet rock, metal bridge(s), water and dirt. While this course is hilly and challenging, participants will experience waterfalls, a cave, scenic overlooks and absolutely beautiful surroundings. Spectators will have limited viewing options along the course. The best spots to cheer for your runners will be at the start and finish lines.

We skipped this one last year and after I saw pictures from participants, I knew I wanted to do it. It's really a gorgeous course! As mentioned though, it's insanely hilly, so I'm just looking to finish and enjoy the views!

ATTQOTD:
Short answer: If it has a size I buy in person, if it is not apparel/shoes then I buy online (usually amazon prime.)
Long answer:
My shoes are from Running for Kicks which is a local store about 20 min from my house. It's next to one of my favorite local restaurants...so I can easily blow through $$$ if I go. They sometimes put coupons for discounts in local race packets too ($25 off $125.) I like the help and attention from their staff. They literally run around outside with you if you want. I'll probably always try on shoes and not buy online...my feet are shrinking again after getting giant post pregnancy (TMI?)

My clothes are mostly Target & Sports Authority's clearance rack. I've bought one pair of Nike shorts from Fleet Feet (chain in Chicago) but it was painful to pay that much. I love finding Nike compression stuff on clearance at SA.
I've bought a few Sparkle Athletic skirts online just for race costumes.

And a BIG chunk of my training wardrobe is tech shirts from races I ran. Might as well use them. I hate the cotton ones, bleh.
Oh and I get a sweaty band at the expos for each major race I run as my momento.

@LSUlakes could you add another race for me to the first page?

Run the Rock 6 mile race No goal time or anything special. Here's the description...

Can you rock the rock? Come join us for this 6 mile run at Top of the Rock in Ridgedale, MO where you will challenge your endurance and mental grit while experiencing exhilarating, scenic views you won't find anywhere else. This course is one of the most challenging, rewarding runs you will ever complete. You'll never see Top of the Rock the same way again. This course is for experienced runners and is not designed to be someones first 6 mile run. Be prepared to run over several different surfaces including but not limited to gravel, road, trail, wet rock, metal bridge(s), water and dirt. While this course is hilly and challenging, participants will experience waterfalls, a cave, scenic overlooks and absolutely beautiful surroundings. Spectators will have limited viewing options along the course. The best spots to cheer for your runners will be at the start and finish lines.

We skipped this one last year and after I saw pictures from participants, I knew I wanted to do it. It's really a gorgeous course! As mentioned though, it's insanely hilly, so I'm just looking to finish and enjoy the views!

Will do! This event is on 9/10? If it isn't let me know and I will change it. Sounds like a challenging run, good luck!

ATTQOTD - I buy mostly online now (amazon). If I decide to change shoes again I'll go to a store to try them on and buy from them. For clothes I love Skirt Sports and they aren't sold locally so have to buy online at amazon, sierratrading or REI outlet. I do like Danceskin and so buy those clothing items at good ol' Walmart or sometimes have found stuff at Target, like some Champion tech long shirts marked down. Clif Bars are bought at the grocery store buy I order my Clif Gus from Amazon. I bought my running belt and handheld water bottle from amazon.
So a mixed bag I suppose :)

My running shoes were runDisney New Balance ones so theres that. As for clothes I don't really have running shorts I just use athletic shorts for now which are from places like Kohls. Shirts I have a lot of Nike and Under Armour wear which is what I like best but of course its expensive, otherwise I will wear tech shirts from my past Disney races. My mom still buys a lot of my clothes so I am not worrying a ton about prices yet.

ATTQOD: If I find a pair of shoes I like locally, I will buy multiple on-line for that version (running warehouse), or the previous at 1/2 price (Brooks Outlet). Shorts are mostly from Target. At this point, I have way too many race shirts, and will be thinning the herd in the near future.

I buy my shoes from my local running store. They have been so helpful and have really helped my running. The store runs an injury clinic that I have used in the past, as well as running form classes and running groups. They hold semi annual sales and I am able to purchase shoes at a reduced rate. Tend to buy three pair at once. It is a pretty good savings. In general I think good running shoes can be cost prohibitive; especially when mileage builds up in a training program. So the semi annuals are a win-win.

I do buy my gels on line, deals to good to pass up (I am stocked for a year!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter