The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: What did you do for the Super Bowl?

Hung out at home with the family and indulged in some chips & guacamole. I won $100 during the second quarter on my squares and decided to have a celebratory beer, then I fell asleep some time during the 4th quarter. :D

QOTD: Anyone carry items not directly related to running? Protection from animals or people? Where did you get them?

ATTQOTD: Not really. Phone and car key usually. Never really had any issues with animals.

Back from my icey 5k. Soooo cold and sooo hilly and so much sand (yes sand!) But I got 29:20 and 6th in my age. I'm proud of my effort and although not a PR...certainly was the highest elevation change I've ever done and I attacked those hills...those endless hills. We ran from a lake/beach up to a bluff! My hubby beat his last time so we are happy. I feel in a good spot to be even better in more normal conditions this spring :)

Great job! Sounds like you did really well.

Race report:

Woke up to a nice thunderstorm about 2 hours before race start. Luckily it cleared out before the start of the race, but did leave some nice puddles on the roads to try and avoid for the 1st half of the race. It also was not nice running into the sunrise with the wet roads, made for some brutal glare.

Originally, I had planned on a 1:42 race, then was planning on running with a running club member to help her PR a sub 1:45. She had plenty of help today from me and others in the club (she ended up with a 1:44:40). I ran with them through Mile 6. At that point, my legs felt good, and was told to take off and run my race. 1st 6 miles we were averaging right at a 7:56 mile pace. The last 7 miles, I had a 7:33 pace and finished at 1:41:53. Pretty decent negative split. I did run miles 8 and 9 with another running club buddy who was hoping for a 1:30 race. He had a bad stitch in his side and was struggling, so I tried to help him through the rough stretch.

Glad the weather cleared for you and congrats on coming in under your planned time even with assisting other runners. Well done.

Worst race I've had in a while today.

Sorry for the bad race. But, loving that whiskey stop!

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?

ATTQOTD: Last book was A Storm of Swords (3rd book the Game of Thrones series). Started on A Feast of Crows and got bogged down and now can't find where I put the book. LOL

Last movie was The Force Awakens

But while conditions at my race today were borderline miserable still finished faster than expected at 3:11 :) and that included a unexpected water bridge so happy

Sorry conditions were bad, but congrats on your finish time!

I had a good time yesterday at my Groundhog 13.1. It was a nice winter day with the temp around 29 and sunny skies, no wind. My official time was 2:33:56. I ran it slower because the trails were hard packed snow with some ice here and there, so it was harder on the ankles & calves, but the hex screws in my shoes worked great. I also thoroughly enjoyed the hot chocolate, cookies, and beer at the end.
:flower:
Congrats!! I love that beer at the end of a race.

ATTQOTD: Boring for me. Everyone was gone from home but me, so I sat on the couch with my dogs, ate chips and salsa and fell asleep halfway through the 3rd quarter. :)

Homemade pizza and an 8th Sin Black Lager. Sadly my Buffalo Bills weren't in the game, so I watched for maybe 5 minutes...just long enough to see Cam Newton fumble the ball into the end zone for a Denver TD. Apparently that pretty much summed up the game, so it looks like I didn't really miss anything.

Weekend race, as Disneyland_emily mentioned, the weather took a turn for the worse as far as Florida standards go. The short beach run section was re-routed because of surf conditions not allowing running on the hard pack and the wind was in your face for part of the back half of the race. Hit 1:50 goal in spite of the pacer dropping out after the return hill over the bridge around 9 miles, and a nice beach towel in addition to the finishers medal was waiting at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_20160207_092849647.jpg
    IMG_20160207_092849647.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 8
Weekend race, as Disneyland_emily mentioned, the weather took a turn for the worse as far as Florida standards go. The short beach run section was re-routed because of surf conditions not allowing running on the hard pack and the wind was in your face for part of the back half of the race. Hit 1:50 goal in spite of the pacer dropping out after the return hill over the bridge around 9 miles, and a nice beach towel in addition to the finishers medal was waiting at the end.
The pacer dropped out? Was that by design??

What would you consider a fair/normal price would be for a local 5k event? I ask because a race that used to only cost $25 at its non-early registration fee time opened up early registration at $32 and beyond the early phase its $42.

$30+ seems to be the norm for local races these days, unfortunately.

I couldn't agree with you more! The trail running community is awesome. Great support, low key and fun and still some incredible athletes! I have not run an ultra yet. I have done several trail half marathons. They are much more challenging for me, but hard to beat running in the woods. This summer I am running my first trail marathon and then my first ultra in the fall. Excited for the challenge.

Great job on your race. That is a lot of trail miles for 8 hours!

Good luck to you and IamTrike in your upcoming ultras. As I've learned the hard way on more than one occasion, proper pacing is SO important beyond the half-marathon difference! I always try to remember a motto I stole from another ultramarathoner - start slow, and then back off! :thumbsup2

Congrats on hitting your goal! A pacer dropping out is very odd. Sorry that happened and I hope whatever the reason was, the pacer recovers soon. Never good to hear about any runner not being able to finish.

ATTQOTD: I purchased a sack of oysters and shucked nearly all of them eating them raw, chargrilled, and fried! It was a good day.

UGH - so jeaous. That sounds amazing.

Congrats to the racers this past weekend!

@Keels and @WhereInFlorida do you want to share your finish times for the first page update on yalls race this weekend? Or did I overlook it?

I'm just waiting back on a correction from the race organizer on a time discrepancy - the time on my runner tracking texts I got during the race don't match up like at all with what the results page says. Has anyone ever had that happen before?

Anyway. I was shooting for sub-2:00 and missed that, but it was really the first run I've had since Dopey so I can't complain too much.

UGH - so jeaous. That sounds amazing.

Living near the gulf has it's benefits! It's also crawfish season, although they are charging a arm and leg per pound right now. It doesn't help that lent starts this week, but since it's early this year, the time of year when they are bigger is when the prices will be at their lowest! Looking forward to a boil soon.

I'm just waiting back on a correction from the race organizer on a time discrepancy - the time on my runner tracking texts I got during the race don't match up like at all with what the results page says. Has anyone ever had that happen before?

Anyway. I was shooting for sub-2:00 and missed that, but it was really the first run I've had since Dopey so I can't complain too much.

Never had that happened. Hope the issue is resolved soon for you.

This upcoming weekend we have the following folks with a race: myself, @Nole95 , @DOOM1001 , and @gjramsey . Would any of yall like to revise/update your goal for this weekends race?

Race report:

Woke up to a nice thunderstorm about 2 hours before race start. Luckily it cleared out before the start of the race, but did leave some nice puddles on the roads to try and avoid for the 1st half of the race. It also was not nice running into the sunrise with the wet roads, made for some brutal glare.

Originally, I had planned on a 1:42 race, then was planning on running with a running club member to help her PR a sub 1:45. She had plenty of help today from me and others in the club (she ended up with a 1:44:40). I ran with them through Mile 6. At that point, my legs felt good, and was told to take off and run my race. 1st 6 miles we were averaging right at a 7:56 mile pace. The last 7 miles, I had a 7:33 pace and finished at 1:41:53. Pretty decent negative split. I did run miles 8 and 9 with another running club buddy who was hoping for a 1:30 race. He had a bad stitch in his side and was struggling, so I tried to help him through the rough stretch.

Was rereading parts of the thread and talking to a friend of mine and for some reason it just clicked. You got to run a race where history was made this weekend. I am not sure if it was you that mentioned it somewhere else as well, but a new record for a half marathon was set wile pushing a stroller @ 1:11:xx ish. That guy won the whole thing. My buddy also ran that race that day and came out 3rd and was mentioning how he was beat by his friend he runs with on the weekends pushing a stroller. Also noticed Runners World had a article on it as well. Also wanted to say congrats to you and your friend on hitting yalls goals!

Is my use of the word yall acceptable? I use it often without thinking about. Since we have people posting from all parts of the country, it probably makes me look like a hick. I would say my grammar / spelling errors does not help either.

I'm starting to feel like I may be coming down with something so if I don't feel 100% my goal of 1:59 ain't happening.Its only Monday so hopefully how I feel goes away or at least I'll be well enough to have a good run.I'll keep my goal of sub 2 hours and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen,the weather looks positive (highs in the 68-70 range and lows in the 50's so that bodes well.I could finish in 1:55 or 2:30,as long as I finish I'm happy.

I am deeply offended by your use of yall. I much prefer you'uns.

I saw something about the guy with the stroller. WOW is all I can say.

Hmmm, I was just checking to see if everyone (yall) know what I saying when I used it. lol I will try to get a you'uns in there at some point. You laugh, but what one person thinks the meaning of one word could mean something very different in other parts of the country or even within the state. Quick story as an example, when my wife and I where dating I stopped at a gas station / convenient store to purchase some beer. (She is from NOLA and I grew up in Cajun country about 2 hours away) When we pulled up I asked her if she wanted to get down... I got this strange look from her. She was like what, and I did not understand what she did not understand. So I asked, do you want to get out of the car and see if there is anything you would like from inside of the store. Apparently she thought I wanted some kind of risky type of activity in the parking lot of gas station. I still get a good laugh every time I think of that night. I see tomorrows QOTD forming... So I try not to use phrases from my little region to often just not to cause any confusion.

I'm starting to feel like I may be coming down with something so if I don't feel 100% my goal of 1:59 ain't happening.Its only Monday so hopefully how I feel goes away or at least I'll be well enough to have a good run.I'll keep my goal of sub 2 hours and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen,the weather looks positive (highs in the 68-70 range and lows in the 50's so that bodes well.I could finish in 1:55 or 2:30,as long as I finish I'm happy.

Hope you start feeling better soon, running a half sick sucks! Looks like good weather for race day and also noticed you are going for back to back PR's at the distance with one weekend of rest between. You are doing a great job and I think you can achieve your goal! Good luck.

Is my use of the word yall acceptable? I use it often without thinking about. Since we have people posting from all parts of the country, it probably makes me look like a hick. I would say my grammar / spelling errors does not help either.

you = singular
yall = plural

It is a very useful word. "You" being both singular and plural can be problematic, but "yall" clears things up. That being said, I grew up in Texas (although I've been in the Chicago area now for longer than I can remember).

Was rereading parts of the thread and talking to a friend of mine and for some reason it just clicked. You got to run a race where history was made this weekend. I am not sure if it was you that mentioned it somewhere else as well, but a new record for a half marathon was set wile pushing a stroller @ 1:11:xx ish. That guy won the whole thing. My buddy also ran that race that day and came out 3rd and was mentioning how he was beat by his friend he runs with on the weekends pushing a stroller. Also noticed Runners World had a article on it as well. Also wanted to say congrats to you and your friend on hitting yalls goals!

Yeah, Calum Neff is the guy pushing the stroller can flat out fly. He won this event last year, and the Cypress Half that was put on by the same organization last fall. One of the guys I run with (at times) finished 2nd at Katy and was a full 6 minutes behind (or more then a mile). The first 3 miles of the race was an out and back at a mall parking lot, so we saw the leader about just after he made the u-turn and already had a decent lead. I was told that Neff actually used this race as a taper run for the LA Marathon next weekend, and broke the World Record by over two minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts