The Running Thread - 2016

Made it official, I now have a June race to add to page 1. 6/5/16 - The Navy 10 Nautical Miler (11.5 miles) (Goal TBA / N/A)

LSUlakes, cool site! Just another B.R. runner that likes the Disney races!

Thanks! Odds are we probably know one another. Do you happen to run with the Varsity Sports group? I do when I get the chance, just those chances are few and far in between. Miss running with the group though.

Haven't tried either, I just use a good trail shoe, but a lot of people around here make their own "screw shoes". Basically you just add small hex screws to the soles of your shoes and they give you grip on snow and ice. Here's how it is done...

1) Purchase 20 3/8-inch hex-head sheet metal screws (size #8 or #10) for each pair of shoes. (Hex-head screws work best because they have jagged edges.) Total cost will be about $5.

2) Position screws around the perimeter of the outsole—six around the forefoot and four in the heel. Avoid areas that might poke feet upon impact with the ground. (If you’re spiking a pair of shoes with thicker foam midsoles, you can get away with putting spikes directly under your foot, but be careful. You might not feel the tip of the screw when you try them on, but you still might feel it poke through when you’re running hard downhill.)

3) Twist screws into the outsole rubber. (Pre-drilling with a 1/16 drill bit will help.)

4) Run with confidence over anything that is slippery, wet or frozen. (Note: They’re most effective on ice and small amounts of snow on roads or hard-packed trails.)

Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/news/diy-snow-running-spikes_91843

Oh, this has "project for my husband" written all over it. He loves going to Home Depot and getting out his tool kit.

QOTD: Inevitably, people ask me "how far do you run"... of course, it's not the same every day. So what do you say when they ask you that?

I say that I run 3-4 miles most days and longer on weekends. Since it's complicated and, as someone else mentioned, most people are just trying to be polite I don't really think most people are actually all that interested. I figure if they ask follow ups I can go into more detail.

QOTD: Inevitably, people ask me "how far do you run"... of course, it's not the same every day. So what do you say when they ask you that?
I also give different answers depending on the audience. Most people who ask really aren't interested in running or details about running. For them I just let them know that I run marathons, which has me running 30-40 miles per week. I only give more information if they dig - don't want to become "that guy".

When I run across a fellow runner who is really interested, we typically get into detailed discussions like we do here on this board. My answers get more specific, and I ask them as many questions as they ask me. Always looking to learn from a fellow runner.

ATTQOTD: Success doesn't have to be measured in terms of achievement. In most areas of my life I tend to be a perfectionist and I put a lot of pressure on myself to live up to whatever numbers might denote success in various areas. I played varsity basketball through my sophomore year of college, but I lost the love of the game because I didn't measure up to the arbitrary standards I set for myself.

In running I still want to conquer new distances and run for PRs, but my main measures of my success are things like conversations had with people I never would have met, let alone become close friends with, except through running. Or feeling strong and healthy because my muscles and heart and mind have been conditioned over thousands of miles. Or just the pure joy I feel when I'm out on a run when I realize how much I love it and how fortunate I am to be able to run.

This is a great post, and maybe a great future QOTD: Outside of race results and PRs, what are some of the rewards you've enjoyed most from running? Or was this already done and I missed it?

This is a great post, and maybe a great future QOTD: Outside of race results and PRs, what are some of the rewards you've enjoyed most from running? Or was this already done and I missed it?

I have a similar question on the main list, just haven't used it yet.

Anyone ever use stabilicers or yaktrax? I didn't know these existed until I read an email communication from upcoming race. I don't plan on running with anything new this weekend, but wondering just for future Feb/march running outside what people think of these. I've googled to see what they look like. Does it feel like you're are wearing cleats?

I used them while living in Russia. They're very good in the snow, but they do take some getting used to. You don't get the same flex and push off from your running shoes while wearing them.

Anyone ever use stabilicers or yaktrax? I didn't know these existed until I read an email communication from upcoming race. I don't plan on running with anything new this weekend, but wondering just for future Feb/march running outside what people think of these. I've googled to see what they look like. Does it feel like you're are wearing cleats?

I've used them. They do work well, but I find that I can't go more than 4 or 5 miles in them. It just feels stiff or something. My friend just tried the hex screw thing and she says they work great. She did say that you might have to play around with the placement of the screws though, just to find the right fit for comfort. I may have to give that a try too.

Like pretty much everyone else it varies based on the audience. There are a couple of people at work that have taken a keen interest in my goal of doing Dopey and follow up with me regularly to make sure I'm staying on track. Otherwise, with the non-runner crowd I just give a simple answer of rough distance I'm currently running or training for.

I use the Petzl Spiky Plus. They aren't designed for heavy snow, but more for black ice or compacted snow type conditions. They also are very flexible and hardly noticible on dry pavement, with the exception of the clicking sound.

ATTQOTD: I tell people that ask me that question that the mileage varies depending on what I am training for and the day of the week. I let them know that my longest runs take place over the weekend which can range anywhere from 10 to 20 miles and midweek runs can be anywhere from 3 to 12 miles. It just all depends on what event is next.

ATTQOTD: Far enough most days.

ATTQOTD: Something along the lines of "Oh, it varies - short runs from 2-6 miles, long runs anywhere from 10-20 miles."

ATTQOTD - I usually just say "oh like a 1/2 hour or hour" to the common Joe as they really don't get it anyway, but if it's to a running friend that actually cares, I'll be more specific and mention if I'm training specifically for anything.

Made it official, I now have a June race to add to page 1. 6/5/16 - The Navy 10 Nautical Miler (11.5 miles) (Goal TBA / N/A)

Thanks! Odds are we probably know one another. Do you happen to run with the Varsity Sports group? I do when I get the chance, just those chances are few and far in between. Miss running with the group though.

Ha, I ran with them some this year but as the races started up I dropped off. Well, actually haven't been on one since late October. But sounds like we've run some of the same pavement.

ATTQOTD: Sometimes I will answer with I ran an X amount of time. Most know I run long on the weekends. Most will usually ask about a race, if they know I have run or will be.

Generally I just say it varies and that a long run could be 15 miles and a short one 3 miles. Something like that. I like to talk about running and can easily go on and on... so I am always fearful that I am boring someone. So unless there is clear interest I tend to keep it short (or at least think I do).

You will notice a big difference. You get much better purchase with the snowy ground. I had a pretty embarrassing fall last year that motivated me to buy a pair. I felt a lot more stable. But it made my feet much heavier due to collecting snow.

Also you need a true snowy surface. If part of the run will be on the hard ground, especially pavement. Don't wear them. During a run that went from snow and ice to roadway I had to stop and take them off and carry them because it felt so bad. Solely for better traction in snow they work well.

I made a few minor changes to the opening post incase anyone has viewed it recently. Upcoming races will be in green, and updated on each Monday for the next week. At the bottom of the post I added a stat section just to keep count of the different distances we have run as a group, as well as PR's and if a spot for a BQ for those of you blessed to run at that speed. I'm also thinking of adding a total racing miles in there as well. What do yall think? Anything else you would like to see in the OP? Thanks!

I have three races coming up that are spread apart very evenly.

Pensacola Double Bridge 15K on 2/13

Star Wars Dark Side Challenge in April

Hotlanta Half Marathon on 6/12. I have run this race the first two years it has been held, and each time I swore I'd never do it again. Very hilly. Last year it monsooned for almost the entire race. Figured I'd keep the streak going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter