The Quest For 15K & 18 FP+ ~ A Marathon Weekend 2016 PTR - TR Link, Page 18

Hi Sarah!! Sorry it took so long to catch up on your report.

I love your ADR choices. So many princesses!! As an aside - I've been watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix and there's a whole arc about Kosher meals at the prison. It made me think of you. ;)

Those shirts that you and Beth ordered are adorable. I don't really shop at Kohl's - I'm more familiar with Target - but now I must. ::yes:: Beautiful bag! I'm glad you love it. :thumbsup2

Your plans sound great! So is the mini golf the new-to-you experience?

Hi Sarah!! Sorry it took so long to catch up on your report.

No worries, I get how busy home renovations can make you!

I love your ADR choices. So many princesses!! As an aside - I've been watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix and there's a whole arc about Kosher meals at the prison. It made me think of you. ;)

Thanks! We do love our princesses ... as I'm sure you've noticed before.
I actually heard that there was a Kosher storyline on OITNB, but I don't watch it so I don't know what it's about (I keep forgetting to ask my brother, who does watch). But I'm glad it made you think of me!

Those shirts that you and Beth ordered are adorable. I don't really shop at Kohl's - I'm more familiar with Target - but now I must. ::yes:: Beautiful bag! I'm glad you love it. :thumbsup2

Thanks! We're Target shoppers too, but Kohl's is closer. We generally do a big Target grocery run before the trip, so we may look around then and see if there's any Disney stuff we want to buy.

Your plans sound great! So is the mini golf the new-to-you experience?

Thanks! Mini-Golf will probably be our new experience, but I also want to see if maybe we can fit in an attraction we have yet to experience (*cough*Splash Mountain*cough*). We're actually hoping to catch Finding Nemo: The Musical on our AK day, so that will be another new thing.

I actually heard that there was a Kosher storyline on OITNB, but I don't watch it so I don't know what it's about (I keep forgetting to ask my brother, who does watch). But I'm glad it made you think of me!

Basically a new inmate to the prison requests a Kosher meal. The other inmates are curious about the food which is way better than the slop the new management of the prison has been dishing out. It results in a surge of inmates requesting Kosher meals and a subsequent investigation by a Rabbi to determine if the prisoners are actually Jewish. It was one of my favorite storylines because one of the inmates ends up legitimately converting and I liked seeing her character develop.

Flights

I’m actually in the middle of writing up two other posts right now, but since we finally booked our flights, I figured I’d update with that information.

upload_2015-7-22_13-47-24.png
Last time I flew JetBlue at night ... very blurry because I'm actually a terrible photographer

We’ll be flying JetBlue in and out of JFK International Airport. LaGuardia is actually slightly (like 3 minutes) closer to us, but we’ve had some problems flying out of LGA, and we like the JetBlue terminal at JFK (other than security, which can be a nightmare sometimes).

Flight to Florida: Leaves NYC at 4 PM, arrives Orlando around 7 PM
This does affect our arrival night plans – it’s now definitely not possible to see Wishes, and not easy to see Electrical Water Pageant. So the new plan is Downtown Disney for a few hours on arrival night and Wishes/Electrical Water Pageant on Saturday night (this is subject to change, especially if they extend MK hours Saturday night).

Flight back to New York: Leaves Orlando at 7:40 PM, arrives in NYC around 10 PM
Since we’re taking a very late flight, we’ve got lots of options for departure day. Current possibilities are DTD breakfast and exploring nearby resorts, DTD breakfast then Mini-Golf (yes, this is in addition to Sunday’s Mini-Golf – we get 4 vouchers & would love to use them all!), or adding on a park day (this will be a day-before decision if we think we haven’t gotten everything done).

The downside of flying out of JFK is that since JetBlue has its own terminal, we won't get another "Air Canada" selfie ... because we'll be hanging out at JetBlue gates.
upload_2015-7-22_13-58-19.png
Air Canada Selfie, February 2015

So … that’s the flight summary. I would have liked a slightly earlier arrival flight, but this is what was cheapest. Since coming down on Tuesday was meant as a way to make the day before the race a little easier for us, I don’t mind that we won’t have much time. And we have a lot of time on departure day, which gives us more opportunities to extend the magic!

Well congrats on the flights. We have yet to book ours, we have been patient looking to see if they will change at all but doesn't look that way so we will probably book within the next week or so. I like the late flight on the last day because it gives you more time than rushing out of the hotel and stuff. Since ME picks you up 3 hours ahead of time an early flight which we had last trip was just not that great.

Well congrats on the flights. We have yet to book ours, we have been patient looking to see if they will change at all but doesn't look that way so we will probably book within the next week or so. I like the late flight on the last day because it gives you more time than rushing out of the hotel and stuff. Since ME picks you up 3 hours ahead of time an early flight which we had last trip was just not that great.

Thanks!
We were also waiting to see if the prices changed, but we decided to just book. There's a decent chance that JetBlue will have a sale in a few weeks just to annoy me, but I'm honestly happy not to have to keep checking flight prices.
The late flight is definitely great in terms of creating a more relaxed departure day. We've done early flights (like 7-8 AM) and those are brutal. We've also done a few mid-afternoon flights and those are usually good, but a little rough if we're planning to do something on the last day (we've had experiences where we were rushing out of parks to make the bus, and that can be pretty rough, which is why I'm not jumping to add the last day as a park day). I think this will give us plenty of time to get ourselves together and packed up, maybe throw in a last activity, and still get back to the hotel in time for the ME bus.

Come up here to Toronto's airport...you could have Air Canada selfies all over the place lol

True, but Toronto is a little far to travel just for a selfie.
Although my brother flew Air Canada Rouge out of Vancouver a few weeks ago ... that's even farther than Toronto!

Great plans!!!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the way the flights worked out.

So … that’s the flight summary. I would have liked a slightly earlier arrival flight, but this is what was cheapest. Since coming down on Tuesday was meant as a way to make the day before the race a little easier for us, I don’t mind that we won’t have much time. And we have a lot of time on departure day, which gives us more opportunities to extend the magic!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :woohoo: Having the airfare booked just makes it feel that much more REAL, doesn't it?

Wow! I'm impressed that you've already booked flights. We just really started discussing flights v. driving (it's an 8 hour drive so it's right on that line of do we drive it or fly it). Also can I just add that I love JetBlue and miss them from when I lived other places that they flew. Nothing like free TV and Dunkin' Donuts coffee to make a flight more enjoyable.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :woohoo: Having the airfare booked just makes it feel that much more REAL, doesn't it?

It certainly makes it feel more non-refundable ...
But thanks, yes, it does make it feel much more real (and not just for my credit card)

Wow! I'm impressed that you've already booked flights. We just really started discussing flights v. driving (it's an 8 hour drive so it's right on that line of do we drive it or fly it). Also can I just add that I love JetBlue and miss them from when I lived other places that they flew. Nothing like free TV and Dunkin' Donuts coffee to make a flight more enjoyable.

Well, driving isn't an option for us, and since we always fly JetBlue ... we figured we might as well. But it's definitely insanely early to have booked.
And I totally get why you would miss JetBlue - I love them too ... mostly. I kinda hate them when my flight is delayed and then the coffee dispenser is broken and they don't serve coffee >:(.

Also, this post is all words because I don’t have the patience to hunt for pictures. And I like words, so its about 4x longer than it needs to be.
:rotfl2: I don't mind at all. Been there myself.

Plans look good and it seems the timing of Shabbos is perfect for you on this trip. You'll really want to rest by then.

So … that’s the flight summary. I would have liked a slightly earlier arrival flight, but this is what was cheapest.
Flight plans look good. It is impossible to find the perfect flight, but seems like it should work and cheap is always good.

:rotfl2: I don't mind at all. Been there myself.

I'm so glad you understand. Sometimes it's easier to ramble endlessly than it is to find pictures.

Plans look good and it seems the timing of Shabbos is perfect for you on this trip. You'll really want to rest by then.

Thanks!
A 25 hour break will be perfect after 2 days of early wake up & then run! I might sleep the whole Shabbos ... (okay, probably not, but it would be nice).

Flight plans look good. It is impossible to find the perfect flight, but seems like it should work and cheap is always good.

Thanks.
Some days I want to get my own private plane so that I can fly exactly when I want. Then I remember that I could take that money and use it for Disney trips ... which is a way better use of the money!

Running Updates

I’ve got a few running updates to share with y’all (some more recent than others)…

Distance Update:
So, here’s my latest distance update (which is almost a month old, and I’ve hit that distance again once since)…
upload_2015-7-29_17-52-34.png

For those of you who are confused … the Mickey Mile is the longest of the kids races. As the name suggests, it’s a mile long. So 5.5 Mickey Miles = 5.5 mile run!

I’m getting really close to that 10K distance … I can almost feel it! Some days I want to just keep going to see if I can hit the 10K, but … I know it’s a bad idea to push myself too far too fast. So it’ll have to wait, but I’m hoping to at least get close by the end of the summer (I would love to hit 6 miles by the end of the summer, but I’ll settle for 5.7 miles (or half a mile less than 10K) because I really don’t do well in the heat).

Pretty Things:

Some of you may have heard of Raw Threads, a company that is often one of the exhibitors at runDisney expos. They make adorable running clothing (partially) out of bamboo. I know it sounds weird, but bamboo clothing is actually very comfy.
A few weeks ago Raw Threads had what they called a “shelf sale,” where they put limited quantities of various items on sale, and then add new stuff when the old stuff sells out. Early in the sale I got myself a shirt for $12 + shipping (regular price: $42 + shipping). Since I know you’re all super curious, here is a picture of my bamboo shirt (henceforth to be known as “shirtboo,” which is a name I stole from my brother):

upload_2015-7-29_17-54-15.png
Note: This image has been Photoshopped to cover some of the evidence that my mirror was dirty (I cleaned it several hours after taking this picture). Also, the darker areas are because of the lighting … the whole shirt is actually the same color.

Isn’t my shirtboo adorable? It’s totally perfect for an Ariel fan like me!
(It’s comfortable, too – when I finish my run it certainly looks like someone poured lots of water on me, but it doesn’t feel like it, which is all that matters to me!)

Hi Feet!:
One of a runner’s most important tools is his/her shoes. The right running shoe can prevent pain, improve performance, prevent injuries, look pretty, etc etc. I’ve been operating on the principle of wearing “whatever Asics were cheapest” for a few years, but was finally convinced to go in to a running store and get fitted for shoes.

I went into a running store in Manhattan and they videotaped me running on the treadmill to get a sense of what I needed in a running shoe and what shoes were right for me. I’m not going to go into the whole process (if you want to know more, I wrote a very detailed recap on my WISH Journal), but I was given three different pairs of shoes to try, and decided on …
upload_2015-7-29_17-54-36.png

Those are Saucony Guide 8 (I keep calling them “Glide” instead of “Guide” … not sure why I can’t get my head around the name). The color is Berry/Purple/Slime … it’s a little darker than I wanted, but still very me. I also looked at them in a different color, but it wasn’t as fun.

I actually hated them the first time I wore them. Seriously, hated, and wanted to return right away. It was a painful run. But I was encouraged to give them another try, and run #2 was much better. I don’t love them yet, but I think I might after a few more runs. We shall see.

I was told that these should last me 400 miles or 6 months. I’m going to try for at least 500 miles and after January. They weren’t exactly cheap (although not as expensive as I thought they would be), so I’d like to hold off on new shoes for as long as I can, but we’ll see how they feel when I hit that 400 miles/6 months mark. And when I get close to January, I’ll start looking for them on sale online and if I see a good sale I’ll buy them just to have for whenever I’m ready for them.

Great update! To be honest I never hit the 6.2 in my training last year but never felt better when I did the race.

I can't say I've ever been properly fitted for a running shoe but I've also never had any problems with mine. Glad to see you got a good pair that will work best for you.

Great update! To be honest I never hit the 6.2 in my training last year but never felt better when I did the race.

I get the impression that a lot of people never hit 6.2 before a 10K. I think that if I had a 10K next week, I could probably do it even without having done it before. The race day adrenaline helps with that :)
For me, I think I'll feel better if I hit the distance before the race. I get very nervous about things like this, so it helps with my nerves if I've done the distance before the race.

I can't say I've ever been properly fitted for a running shoe but I've also never had any problems with mine. Glad to see you got a good pair that will work best for you.

I had never thought about it until recently, and I think that a lot of people don't do it. I might not have done it if I hadn't had some problems with my old shoes. That said, I really enjoyed going through the process and highly recommend it if you ever do need different shoes - but if your current shoes work, there's no reason to go get new ones. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Your shoes are so pretty! And I love Sauconys. Too bad I'm never recommended to wear them when I do the online questionnaire at Road Runner Sports. 'Slime'. Hehe.

All I've worn consistantly since 1995 is Saucony! I try others but my feet are just happy with Saucony. You can sometimes get a sale on closeouts on amazon and DSW usually has a good selection if you have any of those stores near you.

Great job on the running!!

I’m getting really close to that 10K distance

Wahoooo!! That's awesome!! You are doing so well!!

bamboo clothing is actually very comfy.

I totally hear you! I have a shirt too..and it is so soft and awesome.

Isn’t my shirtboo adorable? It’s totally perfect for an Ariel fan like me!

Love it!!!

Your shoes look great too...it can take a while to break them in...sadly though...if you go by what they recommend it seems like as soon as they get really comfortable you are supposed to get a new pair lol. But all that pounding can wear them out and then you can hurt yourself...all this I know viariously through my crazy Ironman hubby lol

Your shoes are so pretty! And I love Sauconys. Too bad I'm never recommended to wear them when I do the online questionnaire at Road Runner Sports. 'Slime'. Hehe.
Thanks!!
Maybe you should go into a running store ... a store might recommend Sauconys!

All I've worn consistantly since 1995 is Saucony! I try others but my feet are just happy with Saucony. You can sometimes get a sale on closeouts on amazon and DSW usually has a good selection if you have any of those stores near you.

I'm glad to hear you've done well with Saucony for so long.
My sister actually got her Sauconys at DSW, so I'll definitely be on the lookout there. And checking amazon is a good idea too, thanks!

Great job on the running!!

Thanks!

Wahoooo!! That's awesome!! You are doing so well!!

Thanks!! Although I'm still nowhere near your DH...

I totally hear you! I have a shirt too..and it is so soft and awesome.

I'm glad to have another bamboo fan on here!

Your shoes look great too...it can take a while to break them in...sadly though...if you go by what they recommend it seems like as soon as they get really comfortable you are supposed to get a new pair lol. But all that pounding can wear them out and then you can hurt yourself...all this I know viariously through my crazy Ironman hubby lol

Thanks. I'm definitely going through a breaking in period, but they're getting better and hopefully will be all broken in soon. And since I'm not nearly as intense as your husband, hopefully I'll have at least 5-6 months until they start wearing out and need to be replaced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter