The Quest For 15K & 18 FP+ ~ A Marathon Weekend 2016 PTR - TR Link, Page 18

SarahDisney

So ... Yeah
The Quest For 15K & 18 FP+ ~ A Marathon Weekend 2016 PTR

Well, I gave in to peer pressure (and my incessant need to always be talking about Disney) and decided to start a PTR for our January 2016 trip. For those of you who are new to my ramblings, I’m Sarah, and you’ll learn more about my travelling companion (aka sister, Beth) and me later in this PTR (because writing introductions isn’t so much easy for us). For now, here's a picture of two people who may or may not be us:

Day140.jpg

This trip will be another runDisney trip, this time for Marathon Weekend. We really have no interest in the marathon itself, but we’re doing the 5K and 10K … aka 15K (9.3 miles) over 2 days. So that’s the first part of the title.
As for the second part … if you read my February 2015 Mini-TR, you may remember our FP+ quest. If not … it’ll come up eventually.

This PTR will be a combination PTR & Training Journal. I’ll post here when I have a trip update (like when we finally book a hotel) or a major running/training milestone (like if I ever hit 5 miles). Mostly I post about my running over on my WISH Journal, but since the running is relevant to the trip, I will keep you guys updated on the highlights.

One thing to know about this PTR is that (even though I’m on the DIS fairly regularly), I’m not planning to update super frequently. For a few reasons, including the fact that I’m trying not to plan too much for this trip.

Since we’re all good DISers here, I know what you’re all thinking … “What do you mean you’re trying not to plan too much?”

On our last trip, we had 2 MK days (well, one and a half) for the first time ever, and we got so much done in our first (half) day that we really were able to have a spontaneous, mostly unplanned 2nd MK day … and we really loved it! So we’ll be booking our 3 FP+ every day, maybe an ADR or two, but beyond that I think we’ll just play it by ear and see how the day goes. We’ve been enough times that we know what we have to do every trip and what we can live without … and I think we can find a way to do all of the essentials (and plenty of the “extras”) without really planning too much.

I also want to throw in some new experiences (like maybe finally making it to mini-golf …), so those will take a little planning … but I’m going to try to just leave us with options and not make every decision in advance.

But enough rambling for now, let’s get to the PTR. But first, one of my favorite Disney pictures …
Day2293.jpg

Want to know more about us? Introductions will come eventually … hopefully later this week.

Table of Contents
Daily Plans:

Last edited:
Plans

I’m dividing this post into 2 parts – plans we’ve already made & plans still to be made. As I make plans, I’ll move them from “to be made” to “already made.”

Plans Already Made

Cast of Characters: Beth & Sarah (see introductions for more about us)

Races: Walt Disney World 5K; Walt Disney World 10K

Dates: January 5th-12th, 2016

Hotel: Pop Century!

Tickets: 5-Day Tickets (purchased as part of a MYW package from Disney)

Flights: JetBlue from JFK

• Tuesday 1/5: Arrive MCO @ 7:05 PM
  • Tuesday 1/12: Depart MCO @ 7:40 PM

ADRs:

• Sunday 1/10 - Akershus Royal Banquet Hall Dinner
  • Monday 1/11 - Cinderella's Royal Table (Pre-Opening) Breakfast
FP+: All Booked! Check out the daily plans (once they're all posted) to see what we got!

Memory Maker: Purchased!

Plans Still To Be Made

DISMeets: I'm hoping to have my first DISmeets this trip ...
  • Stacy - Those of you who read the comments on here may know Stacy because she's one of my awesome faithful readers (and some of you may also be readers of her fun PTRs & TRs). We have already decided that we absolutely MUST meet up on this trip (she's also down for the races, as well as a big family trip), we just haven't decided on a time/place yet. But it absolutely must happen.
  • Marathon Weekend DIS Group - There's a nice thread on the WISH side of the boards of people participating in the Marathon Weekend races, and I'm really hoping I get a chance to meet up with some of these awesome people!

Last edited:

(and my incessant need to always be talking about Disney)
I get it. Might as well have a PTR just as an outlet to keep things in mind, even if you won't be updating regularly. That's really how I always treat a PTR anyway. To an extent, there just isn't a lot to say at certain stages in planning, but it is nice to just have a place to throw some ideas around and kind of think out loud from time to time.

One thing to know about this PTR is that (even though I’m on the DIS fairly regularly), I’m not planning to update super frequently. For a few reasons, including the fact that I’m trying not to plan too much for this trip.

Since we’re all good DISers here, I know what you’re all thinking … “What do you mean you’re trying not to plan too much?”

On our last trip, we had 2 MK days (well, one and a half) for the first time ever, and we got so much done in our first (half) day that we really were able to have a spontaneous, mostly unplanned 2nd MK day … and we really loved it! So we’ll be booking our 3 FP+ every day, maybe an ADR or two, but beyond that I think we’ll just play it by ear and see how the day goes. We’ve been enough times that we know what we have to do every trip and what we can live without … and I think we can find a way to do all of the essentials (and plenty of the “extras”) without really planning too much.
I definitely approve. I enjoy planning the trips, but in the end, this is my favorite way to tour the parks. I mean, we've all been there enough. We know you can't walk up to TSMM at noon and expect a 20 minute wait. You get a feel of what you can and can't do at certain times so it is nice to just do what you want in the moment sometimes.

I've missed your Disney ramblings so I was super excited to see you started at PTR! Yay!

You forgot under "Plans still to be made": When I will meet up with Stacy. :rotfl:

I am completely on board with the "less is more" style of planning. I would probably be kicked off the Dis if people knew my July trip was within 60 days and I have only made FP's for a few of those days....and didn't stay up until midnight to do it. Haha! I really should get on that though....

The camera thing is something I struggle with every trip. This last time I took no camera and took all my picture with my IPhone. While it was convenient it seemed weird not having a camera at all. BUT I feel like because I have an IPhone 6Plus the camera on it is better than my point and shoot so I either need a new (better) camera or I should just stick with my phone. Decisions!

I'll need to check out your journal too! I've seen people post about those but never ventured over to that area!

FIRST! Woo! :woohoo:

:welcome:
It's easy to be first when you post half an hour after I start the PTR!!

So excited you're doing a PTR, Sarah! :hyper:

Really? I never would have guessed. It's not like you were encouraging me to do it ...
I'm really glad you're there!

I get it. Might as well have a PTR just as an outlet to keep things in mind, even if you won't be updating regularly. That's really how I always treat a PTR anyway. To an extent, there just isn't a lot to say at certain stages in planning, but it is nice to just have a place to throw some ideas around and kind of think out loud from time to time.

Exactly. If I'm going to be thinking about it, it's nice to have a place to write it all down & maybe get some input from others.

I definitely approve. I enjoy planning the trips, but in the end, this is my favorite way to tour the parks. I mean, we've all been there enough. We know you can't walk up to TSMM at noon and expect a 20 minute wait. You get a feel of what you can and can't do at certain times so it is nice to just do what you want in the moment sometimes.

Thank you, Andy, because your approval was what I was waiting for. Now I know it's okay. (Kidding!)
Our first trip we really didn't plan much and probably could have done a lot better - but now that we've been enough, we know how to make it work for us.
And - you totally just changed my plans. I was planning to walk up to TSMM at noon and expect at 20 minute wait. Now I'll have to go at 12:15 for the 20 minute wait.

I've missed your Disney ramblings so I was super excited to see you started at PTR! Yay!

Well you'll be seeing lots of ramblings now!

You forgot under "Plans still to be made": When I will meet up with Stacy. :rotfl:

I knew I was missing something! I'll put it in there when I get a chance (and yes, I'm totally serious ... check back next week and hopefully it will be there).

I am completely on board with the "less is more" style of planning. I would probably be kicked off the Dis if people knew my July trip was within 60 days and I have only made FP's for a few of those days....and didn't stay up until midnight to do it. Haha! I really should get on that though....

I knew you would understand. Your trip in July is over a week, right? I think for a long trip that's a great way to do it ... get FP+ for a few days, but mostly just wing it - you'll have plenty of time to get everything done and you don't feel locked into plans that you made 2 months earlier.
I really want to do one day (probably arrival day) that's totally unplanned - not make any FP+ and decide once we get to Florida what park we want to visit. But it depends on how long we end up going for - we're not making any final decisions until we see park hours.

The camera thing is something I struggle with every trip. This last time I took no camera and took all my picture with my IPhone. While it was convenient it seemed weird not having a camera at all. BUT I feel like because I have an IPhone 6Plus the camera on it is better than my point and shoot so I either need a new (better) camera or I should just stick with my phone. Decisions!

To overcomplicate a simple issue ... I'm a little picky about resolution on cameras (because we print so many pictures), so I don't love using the phone.
I actually opened up images from all 3 cameras in Photoshop to check their resolution. For a picture that is 4.5 in x 6 in, my camera has a resolution of ~600 ppi and Beth's iPhone 4 had a resolutionjust over 100 ppi. My cell phone takes weird sized pictures, but the resolution on a 3.4 x 6 picture is 720 ppi & for a 4.5 x 8 in is 540 ppi. So technically my cell phone has the highest image resolution, but I find that the images still look grainy, and I don't love the abnormal size.
Beth just got the iPhone 6 (the regular, not the plus), and I'm guessing the resolution on that will be somewhere between the old iPhone and the camera. If I get a new camera, I would likely get one with a resolution higher than the current one, but not necessarily top of the line. I don't really know much about resolution on cameras, I just know resolution as it applies to web & print, and for print, anything over 300 ppi will print okay. The biggest problems with the current camera are the screen and the fact that it doesn't have many options. For a basic photographer like me not having options is not the biggest of deals (although it does have some options that I just don't know how to use), but the inability to see the screen drives everyone but me crazy (we had one PhotoPass Photographer last trip who kept trying to clean the dust off the screen ... doesn't work, it's all under the screen!).

Long story short ... I prefer the camera over the phone, so it's complicated.

I'll need to check out your journal too! I've seen people post about those but never ventured over to that area!

I see you found it! I like to hang out on that area of the boards sometimes ... there's a good group of people over there.

Yay! You started! Peer pressure totally got me to do my pre-trip report too.

Also for marathon weekend you may want to look at some of the travel agencies as a couple of them do group rates for the marathon. I did this for all 3 of my runDisney trips and got pretty good rates. (send me a message if you want the names of who I worked with)

I'm here...cant wait to follow along on this journey!

:welcome:
I'm glad you're here to follow along with my journey, Tammie!

Yay! You started! Peer pressure totally got me to do my pre-trip report too.
:welcome:! I'm so glad you're here!
Peer pressure ... it's such a great motivator.

Also for marathon weekend you may want to look at some of the travel agencies as a couple of them do group rates for the marathon. I did this for all 3 of my runDisney trips and got pretty good rates. (send me a message if you want the names of who I worked with)

For now I'm probably going to try to do it all directly through Disney because I'm a bit of a control freak, but I will definitely be messaging you for those names just to have them in case I decide the prices are too high and I want to try to work with a travel agency.

What's this peer pressure stuff ya'll are talking about??? :rolleyes1

If I may offer a few quotes from my February PTR/Mini-TR...

Boooo. I'm going to peer pressure the crap out of you to do a PTR. (Not that I'm great at keeping up with them or anything, but I do like trying!) :laughing: Be prepaaaaaared!

*chants* PTR! PTR! PTR! :rotfl:

Doooo eeeeeet! :hyper: PTR! PTR! PTR!

'Nuff said.

YAY!!!

Glad you are doing this report.

:cool1:
:welcome: Dee! I'm so glad you're here following along!
In case you read this before you leave ... have an awesome time at Disney!

Introductions (OR: Who Is Coming on this Crazy Trip?)

Sarah AKA Me

Day121.jpg

Older than I’d like for the stage I’m at in life. Mostly unemployed, very part-time graphic designer.

General Collection: Keychains
Disney-Specific Collection: Pandora Beads (Yes, I have the Disney-exclusive bracelet. I got it in February as a graduation gift from my parents … despite not actually having graduated from anything, but my parents didn't understand that when I tried to explain that there was no reason to get me a graduation gift)

3 Random Disney-Related Facts:

1 – In my 3-year-old nursery school picture, I’m wearing an Ariel dress. I don’t know if I loved Little Mermaid then, but that dress (and the fact that I see the picture fairly often) is a big part of why I love Ariel now.
2 – For our 2013 trip, we stayed at Art of Animation because I have an issue with hotel showers (especially older ones), and I figured I’d be less likely to have a problem at a newer hotel. Now we’re hooked.
3 – I love the overall feel of Walt Disney World more, but I prefer the parks at Disneyland. The magic there is so much more concentrated. Plus, World of Color. ‘Nuff Said. (And the ease of park hopping, and the history, and so much more)

Beth AKA The Sister

Day136.jpg

Three years older than me. Headed back to school soon for the first time since she graduated college in 2006 (we’re very proud).

General Collection: Pins
Disney-Specific Collection: None, but she really should get one …

1 – Beauty and the Beast was her first Broadway play.
2 – She can recite “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” backwards … in unison with Mary Poppins. It’s very impressive.
3 – She likes Snow White because (until recently) she was the only princess with dark hair. She also always loved Cinderella (and could never decide which of the two was her favorite). Her favorite recent princess is Rapunzel.

Day%203%20024.jpg

Secondary Characters: (People who are not coming with us, but may be mentioned occasionally)

The Parents – Mother, Father … The Mom is more tolerant of our Disney insanity. The Dad doesn't want to hear about it. They vacation once or twice a year, and went to Disney World in January 2015 (and Disneyland on their SoCal trip in 2013). They feel no need to go back to any Disney park any time soon (crazy people). Souvenirs to be purchased for them include a magnet for the fridge, something for The Mom’s kitchen, and we’re never sure what for The Dad (we have the hardest time shopping for him).

The Brother – Hates all things Disney. Likes scotch, poker, credit card points, and growling at me (I’m not kidding, he growls at me). He’s my official consultant for all things flights & credit cards … but I have to ask my questions in ways that seem generic and not at all related to Disney (although it always comes out in the end that I’m talking about Disney). Souvenir to be purchased for him is generally a shot glass, even though he doesn’t collect them (but we bought him one once and now everybody buys him shot glasses).

(Yes, I have the Disney-exclusive bracelet. I got it in February as a graduation gift from my parents … despite not actually having graduated from anything, but my parents didn't understand that when I tried to explain that there was no reason to get me a graduation gift)
Maybe you should have another Un-graduation soon and see what else you can get?

Oooh! Love random facts!

In my 3-year-old nursery school picture, I’m wearing an Ariel dress. I don’t know if I loved Little Mermaid then, but that dress (and the fact that I see the picture fairly often) is a big part of why I love Ariel now.
Cool. Makes sense!

For our 2013 trip, we stayed at Art of Animation because I have an issue with hotel showers (especially older ones), and I figured I’d be less likely to have a problem at a newer hotel. Now we’re hooked.
I'm not sure you can visit that resort and not get hooked.

I love the overall feel of Walt Disney World more, but I prefer the parks at Disneyland. The magic there is so much more concentrated. Plus, World of Color. ‘Nuff Said. (And the ease of park hopping, and the history, and so much more)
::yes:: Agreed!

Beauty and the Beast was her first Broadway play.
Nice choice. And a great Disney connection.

She can recite “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” backwards … in unison with Mary Poppins. It’s very impressive.
:eek: Wow. Yeah. Very impressive.

She likes Snow White because (until recently) she was the only princess with dark hair. She also always loved Cinderella (and could never decide which of the two was her favorite). Her favorite recent princess is Rapunzel.
So has Rapunzel bumped the others down the list?

The Brother – Hates all things Disney.
Oh no. You must disown him from the family. :sad2:

Maybe you should have another Un-graduation soon and see what else you can get?

If only it was that easy ...
There were 14 months of night classes that came before the un-graduation

Oooh! Love random facts!

American children spend about 500 million dollars every year on chewing gum!
(This fact brought to you courtesy of http://therandomfactgenerator.com/)

Cool. Makes sense!

That might be the first time in my life I've been accused of making sense, but ... thanks.

I'm not sure you can visit that resort and not get hooked.

::yes:: Totally agree.

And you haven't even seen World of Color! (You really have to find a way to go back and see WOC)

Nice choice. And a great Disney connection.

I think it was her friend's birthday party, so not her choice, but still...

:eek: Wow. Yeah. Very impressive.

Definitely.
Although I wasn't impressive enough to get it on video.

So has Rapunzel bumped the others down the list?

No, it's just now a three-way tie instead of a two-way tie.

Oh no. You must disown him from the family. :sad2:

I've tried. He just growls at me.

5 Miles & The Waiting Game

5 Miles:
I said I would update when I reached 5 miles in my running … so here’s your update.

I reached my 5 miles on National Running Day (yes, apparently there is such a thing), June 3rd … 5.12 miles in just over an hour (1:00:06). My average pace was 11:44 per mile, which is fast for me (I’m usually in the low 12s), but I was pushing hard, and really felt like I was flying at times.
I did it again two days later (6/5) – also 5.12 miles, in about 20 seconds more (slightly slower pace … like 3 seconds slower per mile).

To show you what this looks like, here’s 2014’s 10K course (I found this faster than the map of last year’s), with the equivalent distance marked off in purple (the red stuff is the rest of the course):
upload_2015-6-10_10-34-45.png
All I’ve got left is most of Yacht Club & Beach Club and Future World (I actually probably got a little farther into YC than what I marked off on the map, but it’s easier to just go with 5 miles than to try to figure out where the extra 0.12 miles would end).

Only about 1.1 miles left until I reach 10K! I really wasn’t expecting to reach 5 miles until at least July, so this is pretty cool. I think the cooler weather last week really helped – I do much better with weather in the 50s & 60s than I do with the warmer weather. I was already a bit slower yesterday, and that’s where I’m expecting my pace to be for the rest of the summer.

But I’ll make sure to update you guys if I hit any more big milestones!

Park Hours:
For the last few weeks, I've been going crazy without having the park hours. I've never planned a trip this far in advance before - normally we know park hours as soon as we book (also, normally park hours don't play as big of a role in our trip dates ... but that's not relevant at the moment).

So, I was trying to distract myself one day last week by watching TV ... and I happened to see that Full House was on Nick@Nite, so of course, I watched. The first episode was Prom Night. A classic episode (really, they all are). And it's followed by the two-part season finale ... at Disney World! So of course I had to watch ... and Danny Tanner makes personalized plans for everyone! It felt like such a DIS moment.

But now they’re up to the next season, I missed the episode I really like (The Apartment), and there’s no more Disney World. So I’m back to impatiently waiting for park hours (which I had hoped would come out early this week, but so far no luck).

Seriously, what do people do while waiting for park hours? I CAN’T HANDLE THE WAITING!!!

Hey Sarah! :wave2: I just noticed you started your trip report so I'm joining in. Congrats on hitting 5 miles! :thumbsup2 I loved how you said you felt like you were flying. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey. :goodvibes

You're doing fantastic with your running! You will be at the 10k distance before you know it.

I am curious as to why park hours play such a role in your vacation planning? Will you actually spend less/more days there depending on the hours? I've never actually given park hours a thought when planning a trip (although we usually travel in the summer where I know the park hours will be long...). Can you look at last years hours?

I know Full House has a following but I am not one of them. Haha! I wouldn't mind watching this Disney episode everyone talks about but I don't care that much to seek it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter