• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Quest For 15K & 18 FP+ ~ A Marathon Weekend 2016 PTR - TR Link, Page 18

Just reading about your running stuff exhausts me! :crazy2: Maybe someday I'll get in shape and try to make a runDisney event a goal... They do look like so much fun! :cutie:

You think reading about it is exhausting ... try running it!
I really think you would love a runDisney race. The standing around waiting alone parts might not be so fun, but the empty parks and the character opportunities would be really fun for you (especially because the characters don't really talk, it's just in and out for a picture ... so you don't have to worry about what to say to them). I don't know how much your health situation would affect your ability to do the races, but I think you should talk to your doctor about getting into walking/running shape for a race!

Your plans are looking awesome, lady! :thumbsup2

Thanks! :)

Yay for Beth running again...good shoes always help!

Yup! Although she's been having problems with the shoes over the last week or so and we might end up returning them ... but at least she's back to running!

Your day 4 looks great...race days always are exciting and bring their own little twists to the day!

Thanks! Yeah, the race always adds some fun twists to the day!

Daily Plans:
Day 5, Saturday 1/9
Since it’s Shabbos and we won’t be going anywhere in the morning (again, consult my religious FAQ post if you’re confused), we finally get to sleep in this morning! Our alarm will probably go off around 9ish (although whether or not we sleep until then is a question mark – last year we were both up before the alarm). I’ll probably eat breakfast while Beth is still asleep, and then we’ll both get dressed, say our morning prayers, and then hang out a bit.

We’ll probably eat lunch somewhere in the 11:30-12ish range, and then it’s time for our Shabbos afternoon nap (aka my favorite part of the week). Not sure yet when the afternoon alarm will go off, but it’ll have to give us some time to have a snack before going out for our …

Pop1.jpg

Pop2.jpg

Pop Century exploration walk! No pictures, because it’s still Shabbos, but we wanted to take some time to enjoy just walking around the Pop Century and Art of Animation area. Shabbos ends at 6:29 PM, so we’ll head back to the room somewhere after that so that I can say my evening prayers and then head to the nearest stairwell for Havdalah (no smoke detectors … if there’s a smoking area closer than a stairwell, we’ll likely go there). Then it’s time to change, pack up, and head out to see …

electrical-water-pageant-00.jpg

Image Taken From: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/electrical-water-pageant/

We’ve talked about seeing the Electrical Water Pageant a few times, but never really had time for it. I think it’ll be a nice, relaxing, and hopefully enjoyable Saturday night event.

How we do it is a different story. Here are some options I’ve got (feel free to share any other ideas you may have!):

1. Bus from Pop to Disney Springs. Stop at Ghirardelli for ice cream and/or hot chocolate. Do some shopping if we have time, and then about an hour before we need to be there, hop a bus to the monorail resort of our choice (probably either Contemporary or Polynesian). Watch the Water Pageant, explore the monorail resort (and maybe some other monorail resorts), then take the monorail back to MK and hop a bus to Pop Century (MK closes at 11 that night, so there will be buses running until at least 11:30).
  2. Same as #1, but take a bus back to Disney Springs after the Water Pageant (and maybe some resort hoping), grab more Ghirardelli and/or do more shopping, then take a bus back to Pop Century.
  3. Bus from Pop Century to Magic Kingdom. Monorail resort hop (possibly stopping for a beverage of some sort (not necessarily alcoholic) somewhere) until it’s time to catch the Water Pageant. Finish monorail hopping until we get back to MK, and take a bus back to Pop Century.
  4. Same as #3, but instead of going back to MK, take a bus from our last monorail resort to Disney Springs. Get some Ghirardelli, do some shopping, and hop a bus back to Pop Century at the end of the night.

So … those are our ideas for Saturday night. Saturday is our least planned day, but I’m sure we can find something to do. Mostly we'll just play it by ear. Disney Springs is always a good time filler for us, and if we somehow finish everything there and the Electrical Water Pageant and monorail hopping and we still have time … we can check out Boardwalk or another resort or something. Seriously, no shortage of things to do at Disney.

And that’s day 5. What little we have planned for it. Stay tuned for day 6 plans … which will certainly more than make up for the lack of day 5 plans. I think. There will definitely be a princess or two (or three or four …)

Daily Plans:
Day 5, Saturday 1/9
Since it’s Shabbos and we won’t be going anywhere in the morning (again, consult my religious FAQ post if you’re confused), we finally get to sleep in this morning! Our alarm will probably go off around 9ish (although whether or not we sleep until then is a question mark – last year we were both up before the alarm). I’ll probably eat breakfast while Beth is still asleep, and then we’ll both get dressed, say our morning prayers, and then hang out a bit.

We’ll probably eat lunch somewhere in the 11:30-12ish range, and then it’s time for our Shabbos afternoon nap (aka my favorite part of the week). Not sure yet when the afternoon alarm will go off, but it’ll have to give us some time to have a snack before going out for our …

Pop1.jpg

Pop2.jpg

Pop Century exploration walk! No pictures, because it’s still Shabbos, but we wanted to take some time to enjoy just walking around the Pop Century and Art of Animation area. Shabbos ends at 6:29 PM, so we’ll head back to the room somewhere after that so that I can say my evening prayers and then head to the nearest stairwell for Havdalah (no smoke detectors … if there’s a smoking area closer than a stairwell, we’ll likely go there). Then it’s time to change, pack up, and head out to see …

electrical-water-pageant-00.jpg

Image Taken From: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/electrical-water-pageant/

We’ve talked about seeing the Electrical Water Pageant a few times, but never really had time for it. I think it’ll be a nice, relaxing, and hopefully enjoyable Saturday night event.

How we do it is a different story. Here are some options I’ve got (feel free to share any other ideas you may have!):

1. Bus from Pop to Disney Springs. Stop at Ghirardelli for ice cream and/or hot chocolate. Do some shopping if we have time, and then about an hour before we need to be there, hop a bus to the monorail resort of our choice (probably either Contemporary or Polynesian). Watch the Water Pageant, explore the monorail resort (and maybe some other monorail resorts), then take the monorail back to MK and hop a bus to Pop Century (MK closes at 11 that night, so there will be buses running until at least 11:30).
  2. Same as #1, but take a bus back to Disney Springs after the Water Pageant (and maybe some resort hoping), grab more Ghirardelli and/or do more shopping, then take a bus back to Pop Century.
  3. Bus from Pop Century to Magic Kingdom. Monorail resort hop (possibly stopping for a beverage of some sort (not necessarily alcoholic) somewhere) until it’s time to catch the Water Pageant. Finish monorail hopping until we get back to MK, and take a bus back to Pop Century.
  4. Same as #3, but instead of going back to MK, take a bus from our last monorail resort to Disney Springs. Get some Ghirardelli, do some shopping, and hop a bus back to Pop Century at the end of the night.

So … those are our ideas for Saturday night. Saturday is our least planned day, but I’m sure we can find something to do. Mostly we'll just play it by ear. Disney Springs is always a good time filler for us, and if we somehow finish everything there and the Electrical Water Pageant and monorail hopping and we still have time … we can check out Boardwalk or another resort or something. Seriously, no shortage of things to do at Disney.

And that’s day 5. What little we have planned for it. Stay tuned for day 6 plans … which will certainly more than make up for the lack of day 5 plans. I think. There will definitely be a princess or two (or three or four …)
Great day despite staying at the resort. Sometimes those are the best days.

I like option number 3 I am a big resort hopper. I love going to explore the different resorts around WDW. While I haven't stayed at all of the resorts I have been to a lot of them.

Can't wait to hear about day 6!

Great day despite staying at the resort. Sometimes those are the best days.

Thanks! We've never really done a full no-park day before (all of our no-park days have been arrival or departure days in the past), but I think it'll be a nice chance to relax after the busyness of the races and spend some time enjoying the amazingness of Disney outside the parks.

I like option number 3 I am a big resort hopper. I love going to explore the different resorts around WDW. While I haven't stayed at all of the resorts I have been to a lot of them.

Thanks for the input! I think that no matter what we end up doing, I really want to make sure to stop at Contemporary and Poly for at keast a few minutes each (we've been to the Grand Floridian before, so I don't need to go back there). If we can have more time at those two resorts and maybe even get a chance to take a boat over to Wilderness Lodge, that's even better.
We love exploring resorts when we stay there, and I think it'll be nice to get a chance to see some resorts that are a little bit outside of our price range!

Can't wait to hear about day 6!

:)
Day 6 will be an exciting one ... hopefully I'll have the update ready early next week.

Looks like a nice day of just laying low. I'm glad you're going to finally get a chance to see the Electric Water Pageant and I think any of your transportation/evening plans surrounding it look good!

• Bus from Pop to Disney Springs. Stop at Ghirardelli for ice cream and/or hot chocolate. Do some shopping if we have time, and then about an hour before we need to be there, hop a bus to the monorail resort of our choice (probably either Contemporary or Polynesian). Watch the Water Pageant, explore the monorail resort (and maybe some other monorail resorts), then take the monorail back to MK and hop a bus to Pop Century (MK closes at 11 that night, so there will be buses running until at least 11:30).
  • Same as #1, but take a bus back to Disney Springs after the Water Pageant (and maybe some resort hoping), grab more Ghirardelli and/or do more shopping, then take a bus back to Pop Century.

I'd go for any option that include 'more Ghirardelli'. ;)

Thanks for the input! I think that no matter what we end up doing, I really want to make sure to stop at Contemporary and Poly for at keast a few minutes each (we've been to the Grand Floridian before, so I don't need to go back there). If we can have more time at those two resorts and maybe even get a chance to take a boat over to Wilderness Lodge, that's even better.
We love exploring resorts when we stay there, and I think it'll be nice to get a chance to see some resorts that are a little bit outside of our price range!

This is why I love eating at other resorts. Getting to sample them all in a relatively low cost way.

Loving your plans! I definitely think a total no park day is an awesome idea. You will be recharged for the next busy day and have some time away from the crowds etc. Also...I like the sound of all that Ghiradelli :)

I hated this update because I know it will be my last night in the parks. Haha! No really....I love your plans to just have a resort touring evening. Since you will have already had time at Disney Springs (right?) my choice would be to do the resort touring before the Water Pageant. Then afterwards if you feel like you are still enjoying the resorts, continue....or if you are "done" then head to Disney Springs. Plus, It keeps with the relaxing theme. Once you add Disney Springs to the mix that changes everything!! ;)

Hi Sarah,

I noticed that you were going to be at WDW at the same time we will be there, so I started reading your trip report and discovered you are going to run the 5K and 10K. I've run the Disney half marathon way back in Jan of 2002 with my sister. We had a great time. Then my husband and I ran the 5K a few years later. In spite of the many years between then and now, Disney still does a lot of the things the same way as when I ran the races. It is fun for me to read about people's experiences. So I spent all afternoon catching up with your trip. :)

We've actually been at Disney for marathon weekend four times now. We originally started going during that time period when the kids were in college and they had the long break before going back to school. It was a great time to avoid the crowds and most of the trips had good weather. Only one of the four trips was cold and rainy, the trip when I ran the half marathon. So we decided to book this trip for this weekend in hopes that we would get warmer weather then we have been getting at the end of January. We are also going back in February and accidentally picked the Princess half marathon weekend. I didn't realize it was race weekend when I booked the trip. ;)

Allegedly they're starting the "Season of the Force" additional Star Wars stuff on January 5th. So I'm interested to see what that entails.
If only so that I know how much of the park I need to avoid. But there may be something fun for Star Wars fans like you.
I'm very excited for the Star Wars stuff that is supposed to start in January. I've heard rumors of special Star Wars themed fireworks. If they are anything like the Frozen fireworks, then they should be worth seeing.

Brooks Defyance 8s
I've been wearing Brooks shoes for a long time now. But I did have to return a pair I had bought because they hurt my feet. The running stores are great about taking back shoes that aren't right. I hope your sister finds a pair that work better for her.

I think the thing I hate most about Disney in the winter is packing clothing - I don't know if it will be cold or warm, so I don't know what to pack. Hopefully when it gets closer I'll have a better idea.
January is a very tricky month to pack for. I've found that a fleece jacket is nice, since it is really light weight and easy to throw in a bag when it gets warm out.

I think the reason that they do the pacing is because they need to be able to reopen roads at a certain time. 16:00 min/mile is actually not a bad pace relatively speaking - a lot of races require faster paces.
My husband is a true couch potato but when he decided he wanted to run the 5K, he went into serious training. He had always planned to walk the race, so we set out to practice walking fast enough to make the 16 minute cutoff. It was rather cute to see how intense he was about training for this race. He actually broke into a run during the race, he was that into it. We had a great time. I've done lots and lots of 5K races , some 10K races,and two half marathons, so it was all old hat for me. But it was a big deal for him. :)

Bus from Pop to Disney Springs. Stop at Ghirardelli for ice cream and/or hot chocolate. Do some shopping if we have time, and then about an hour before we need to be there, hop a bus to the monorail resort of our choice (probably either Contemporary or Polynesian). Watch the Water Pageant, explore the monorail resort (and maybe some other monorail resorts), then take the monorail back to MK and hop a bus to Pop Century (MK closes at 11 that night, so there will be buses running until at least 11:30).

Here is the schedule for Jan 9th. The water pageant will be on the marina side of the Contemporary, facing Fort Wilderness.
The Most Magical Viewing Places
Discover some of the best places to watch the Pageant across Walt Disney World Resort! Locations include:

I would probably go to Disney Springs and eat at Ghirardelli's. If you want to resort hop from there then I would just grab the first monorail bus that comes by, either Contemporary/ Wilderness Lodge bus or Polynesian/Grand Floridian bus. That way you can be flexible with the monorail tour. If you have lots of time you can get off at the Wilderness Lodge. It is a beautiful resort, and take the boat to the Contemporary or to MK from there.

Wishes is scheduled for 10pm on Jan 9th right now.

Looks like a nice day of just laying low. I'm glad you're going to finally get a chance to see the Electric Water Pageant and I think any of your transportation/evening plans surrounding it look good!

Thanks for the input! We're definitely excited to see the Electric Water Pageant!

I'd go for any option that include 'more Ghirardelli'. ;)

Yeah, I totally get that...

This is why I love eating at other resorts. Getting to sample them all in a relatively low cost way.

Eating at the resorts doesn't really work for us much, but I love just being able to go in and walk around. I may never be able to see the rooms at most of these resorts (unless they decide to start charging significantly less), but seeing the common areas is still pretty cool!

Loving your plans! I definitely think a total no park day is an awesome idea. You will be recharged for the next busy day and have some time away from the crowds etc. Also...I like the sound of all that Ghiradelli :)

Thanks! We've never really done a full no-park day, and I'm excited to see how it helps us recharge after three long days!

I hated this update because I know it will be my last night in the parks. Haha! No really....I love your plans to just have a resort touring evening. Since you will have already had time at Disney Springs (right?) my choice would be to do the resort touring before the Water Pageant. Then afterwards if you feel like you are still enjoying the resorts, continue....or if you are "done" then head to Disney Springs. Plus, It keeps with the relaxing theme. Once you add Disney Springs to the mix that changes everything!! ;)

Aw, sad that it will be your last night, but at least you know you're going back in April!
Thanks for the advice. We'll make it a game-day decision, but you make a good point about doing the resort touring because we will have already been to Disney Springs.

I noticed that you were going to be at WDW at the same time we will be there, so I started reading your trip report and discovered you are going to run the 5K and 10K. I've run the Disney half marathon way back in Jan of 2002 with my sister. We had a great time. Then my husband and I ran the 5K a few years later. In spite of the many years between then and now, Disney still does a lot of the things the same way as when I ran the races. It is fun for me to read about people's experiences. So I spent all afternoon catching up with your trip. :)

:welcome:
Thanks for taking the time to read. It's always nice to hear from someone who has done the runDisney weekends! And its so exciting that we'll be there are the same time (and our trips are coming up so soon!)

We've actually been at Disney for marathon weekend four times now. We originally started going during that time period when the kids were in college and they had the long break before going back to school. It was a great time to avoid the crowds and most of the trips had good weather. Only one of the four trips was cold and rainy, the trip when I ran the half marathon. So we decided to book this trip for this weekend in hopes that we would get warmer weather then we have been getting at the end of January. We are also going back in February and accidentally picked the Princess half marathon weekend. I didn't realize it was race weekend when I booked the trip. ;)

I'm glad to hear you've found low crowds and good weather - I'm hoping we get both this trip.
We did Princess Weekend last year ... it was a little chilly the first few days, but for the most part the weather was great, and the crowds were mostly okay.

I'm very excited for the Star Wars stuff that is supposed to start in January. I've heard rumors of special Star Wars themed fireworks. If they are anything like the Frozen fireworks, then they should be worth seeing.

I saw something on the Disney Parks Blog on Friday about nightly fireworks starting on December 18th. I'm hoping they're pretty great, because we may try to find time to see them!

I've been wearing Brooks shoes for a long time now. But I did have to return a pair I had bought because they hurt my feet. The running stores are great about taking back shoes that aren't right. I hope your sister finds a pair that work better for her.

We're planning to head to the running store in a few days, so hopefully they'll take back the shoes and we can find a different pair that work great for her!

January is a very tricky month to pack for. I've found that a fleece jacket is nice, since it is really light weight and easy to throw in a bag when it gets warm out.

Thanks for the tip! I definitely think layers will be the key, so I'll have to check if I have a fleece jacket to bring along, because I think that will be a great idea.

My husband is a true couch potato but when he decided he wanted to run the 5K, he went into serious training. He had always planned to walk the race, so we set out to practice walking fast enough to make the 16 minute cutoff. It was rather cute to see how intense he was about training for this race. He actually broke into a run during the race, he was that into it. We had a great time. I've done lots and lots of 5K races , some 10K races,and two half marathons, so it was all old hat for me. But it was a big deal for him. :)

I know the feeling. When I first started training for my first 5K, it was such a huge deal for me to get to a good pace. These races really create a lot of enthusiasm!

Here is the schedule for Jan 9th. The water pageant will be on the marina side of the Contemporary, facing Fort Wilderness.
The Most Magical Viewing Places
Discover some of the best places to watch the Pageant across Walt Disney World Resort! Locations include:

I would probably go to Disney Springs and eat at Ghirardelli's. If you want to resort hop from there then I would just grab the first monorail bus that comes by, either Contemporary/ Wilderness Lodge bus or Polynesian/Grand Floridian bus. That way you can be flexible with the monorail tour. If you have lots of time you can get off at the Wilderness Lodge. It is a beautiful resort, and take the boat to the Contemporary or to MK from there.

Wishes is scheduled for 10pm on Jan 9th right now.

Thanks for the tips and schedules! We'll make a decision when we're there, but you make a good point about grabbing the first monorail bus that comes - it gives us a lot more options to be flexible!

I love resort hopping...and the water parade is a lot of fun to watch (my experience has benn with a great glass of wine at Narcoosee's) ! But chocolate and more chocolate in Disney Springs sounds inviting too...I am trying so hard to be a go with the moment type of DISer now...so I say you have options and go with the one that sounds the best at the time.

Catching up on Days 3-5,

The mornings really are crazy early, but the races are so much fun! And I also struggle with bib pinning. The pins are so small and I can never get the bib straight.
It will be nice to sleep in on Saturday after the two early mornings.

Electrical Water Pageant is on my wish list. I have caught bits and pieces here and there, and it enjoyed what I have seen. I saw the sea monster outside Magic Kingdom one year.

Glad Beth is running again! Hope her foot continues to improve.

I hope you have good weather while you are there. Last February was way too cold, and I guess January was too! I am hoping this winter is better in general.

I like the marvel movies, but I think Iron Man is probably low on my list. I like the avengers and captain america movies better, but I generally like super hero movies.

I love resort hopping...and the water parade is a lot of fun to watch (my experience has benn with a great glass of wine at Narcoosee's) ! But chocolate and more chocolate in Disney Springs sounds inviting too...I am trying so hard to be a go with the moment type of DISer now...so I say you have options and go with the one that sounds the best at the time.

I think that's definitely what we'll do ... we have options, and whatever we feel like doing on Saturday night, that's what we'll do.
And I'm always all for a great glass of wine ... except that they don't have wine I can drink at Disney :(

The mornings really are crazy early, but the races are so much fun! And I also struggle with bib pinning. The pins are so small and I can never get the bib straight.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with the bibs! I actually have a running belt that has thingies for the bib, but I've never used them ... maybe I'll try them in January ...

It will be nice to sleep in on Saturday after the two early mornings.

Yes. I'm already looking forward to it!

Electrical Water Pageant is on my wish list. I have caught bits and pieces here and there, and it enjoyed what I have seen. I saw the sea monster outside Magic Kingdom one year.

We've never seen any of it, but one of Beth's friends saw it and recommended it, so we really want to see it! We never want to take away park time for it, though, so I think seeing it on a no-park day is perfect.

Glad Beth is running again! Hope her foot continues to improve.

Thanks! So far she's been getting better, which is great.

I hope you have good weather while you are there. Last February was way too cold, and I guess January was too! I am hoping this winter is better in general.

Yeah, I do not want to repeat last February's 5K. We've been having a pretty warm winter here in NY (WHERE'S MY SNOW???????), so I'm hoping Florida is having a warmer-than-last-year winter as well!

I like the marvel movies, but I think Iron Man is probably low on my list. I like the avengers and captain america movies better, but I generally like super hero movies.

Based on what I've seen from trailers and clips and whatnot, I really think I might like Avengers and Captain America. But Beth has a friend who is really into the Marvel movies and he says we have to watch them in a particular order ... and it'll be a while until we get to those.

Daily Plans:
Day 6, Sunday 1/10

It’s Marathon Sunday! We won’t be running the marathon, so we get to sleep until a normal time, but we’ll be sleep-cheering for some DIS friends who are running. We can take a little bit of time getting ready and eating breakfast, because our first plan for the day doesn't open until 10AM. What is that plan, you ask?

Fantasia_Gardens.jpg

Image Taken From: http://www.wdwfanzone.com/2012/12/how-to-defeat-chernabog-with-a-golf-club/fantasia_gardens/

Fantasia Gardens Mini-Golf! Last trip we said we were going to do Mini-Golf. We didn’t. This trip … I think it’s really going to happen.

With the road closures, I’m not 100% sure what the best way to get there is, but I’m thinking it’s still bus to DHS, boat or walk to Swan/Dolphin, and then cross the street to mini-golf. I’m thinking based on the map I saw of the marathon course that we may have to cross a sea of runners, but I assume there will be a way to do that … in my experience they’re pretty good about getting pedestrians across the runners with minimal problems.

Hopefully we won’t have to wait long and we’ll have plenty of time to take many pictures of every hole. After 18 holes, I will have lost, probably by a lot. And Beth will probably have made fun of me a little. There’s a reason I don’t like mini-golf … but Beth wants to do it, and I’d like to see the course, so I’ll survive.

Once we finish our golfing (well … putting), we’ll head back to the Epcot resort area, where we’ll either walk or take a boat over to …

Day14.jpg

Although we’ll be approaching it from a different location. This will be our first time entering through the International Gateway (non-race).

Plan for the day is to start with some UK friends (aka Mary Poppins, Alice, and Pooh & Tigger), then walk through World Showcase looking for princesses. Obviously this is an unusual plan for us because everyone knows we hate princesses. See below for evidence:

PrincessCollage.jpg

(Yes, I know one of these pictures us not from Epcot … it’s hard to find good pictures to fit into the bottom squares!)

At some point we’ll boat across the World Showcase Lagoon (yes, I know that it’s slower than walking … we’ll do it anyway for the experience), then head for our first FP+ some time between 2:35 PM and 3:35 PM:

Day120.jpg

Next up we head to the front of the park for a journey through the history of communications on …
Day110.jpg

This journey will take place between 3:35 PM and 4:35 PM. And will begin with a journey through the FP+ line.

After learning more about our future, we’ll search for our good friend Nemo before meeting with a few other good friends …
CharacterSpot.jpg

As per usual, we’ve got a FP+ for this – from 5:10 PM to 6:10 PM. We’ll likely do it somewhere early in the window, but we’ll see what we’re up to.

Once we’ve said goodbye to our friends, we’ll head back to Test Track for a second ride (most likely single rider … unless the standby line is short and we’ve got enough time for it).

After taking our newly designed car(s) for a drive, we’ll head back into World Showcase, taking a boat ride with some Mexican friends before heading over to our 7:00 PM dinner at …

dining_location_image_49.jpg

Image Taken From: http://allears.net/dining/location/akershus-royal-banquet-hall

Yay! Dinner with Princesses! We’ll eat our food and chat with our princess friends, and once we’re done, we’ll head next door to Mexico to see if have time for another trip on the Gran Fiesta Tour, starring our favorite Three Caballeros. Once we’re done with that (or if we don’t have time for it), we’ll stake out a good spot to see …

illuminations-reflections-of-earth-00.jpg

Image Taken From: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/epcot/illuminations-reflections-of-earth/

We haven’t had the best luck with Illuminations lately (we’ve had bad views and/or scheduling issues on our last few trips that stopped us from seeing all of Illuminations), so I’m really hoping we can get a good spot and a great view of this awesome show!

Once Illuminations is over, we’ll head back to Pop Century. And that will be the end of our night … we’ve got our last early morning the next day, so we can’t stay up too late!

I have never done mini-golf at Disney. I would think the way you mentioned is the best way to get there otherwise the only other way would probably be taking a taxi or Uber.

If your legs are still in good shape I would just walk from the epcot resort as that is usually quicker than taking the boat.

I have never taken a boat in world showcase as like you said it is longer than walking.

FPs look great!

Depending on time since your last stop would be Mexico I suggest viewing from right between Mexico and Norway for Illuminations. I viewed from there the last two times and it was a great spot. We did however stake out the spot 30 or more minutes prior to the show tho.

LOL at sleep-cheering! That's awesome! :laughing:

Your time at Epcot on Day 6 sounds fantastic. I can totally get behind your ride selections, Akershus and Illuminations! In fact, I've planned them all for my Princess trip myself. ::yes::

You're a saint to do mini-golf for Beth during your Disney time, just FYI. I'm glad to hear her foot is getting better!

Love your PTR and I also had the pleasure of reading your November 2014 TR after being linked to it. As fellow meshpucha (though I am not as observant as I do not keep kosher outside the home and do not observe Shabbos as much as I should), I am always excited to meet fellow Jews on Disboards! :D I am also from New York and live in Central Nassau, about 30 minutes northeast of JFK. It is pretty amazing to see how observant you are as I love learning about kashrut (I'll admit, Disney does a pretty good job and was first at it if I'm not mistaken) as well as observing Shabbos while traveling. Happy Hanukkah and I look forward to being in WDW too from 1/10-1/15/2015 (sorry I will probably miss you due to dates), but I hope you ladies have a magical time! :D

Looks like a fun filled day 6!

I haven't played mini golf in Disney but I do love mini golf but I am horrible at it....

:rotfl2:<---- hating princesses, I was like wait? what? really? You won't fool me again!

Illuminations is so gorgeous the only thing that annoys me is since it's so low and on the water you do need a decent spot...I hope you get a perfect one!

I have never done mini-golf at Disney. I would think the way you mentioned is the best way to get there otherwise the only other way would probably be taking a taxi or Uber.

This will be our first time doing mini-golf, and we're excited. Hopefully our idea to get there will work, and if not ... we'll just take an Uber.

If your legs are still in good shape I would just walk from the epcot resort as that is usually quicker than taking the boat.

Thanks for the advice - I think that's what we'll end up doing, but we'll see how we feel. Walking also allows us to maybe stop and cheer on the runners for a little bit, which would be nice.

I have never taken a boat in world showcase as like you said it is longer than walking.

We've never done it before either - and we may end up skipping it if we don't have time - but we figured it would be something nice to try!

FPs look great!

Thanks! :)

Depending on time since your last stop would be Mexico I suggest viewing from right between Mexico and Norway for Illuminations. I viewed from there the last two times and it was a great spot. We did however stake out the spot 30 or more minutes prior to the show tho.

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it'll depend on how long dinner takes us, but if we're out of Akershus by 8:15ish, we'll have time for a boat ride and time to stake out a spot. If we don't finish until 8:30 or later ... we may end up just going straight for a spot hoping we can get something good.

LOL at sleep-cheering! That's awesome! :laughing:

It's a lot easier than waking up early and cheering, and I do want to support my fellow runners...

Your time at Epcot on Day 6 sounds fantastic. I can totally get behind your ride selections, Akershus and Illuminations! In fact, I've planned them all for my Princess trip myself. ::yes::

Thanks! If you've got the same things planned for your trip, I'm predicting that you're going to have an awesome Princess trip!

You're a saint to do mini-golf for Beth during your Disney time, just FYI. I'm glad to hear her foot is getting better!

Well ... Beth goes on Space Mountain for me at least once a trip, so we're kinda even.

Love your PTR and I also had the pleasure of reading your November 2014 TR after being linked to it. As fellow meshpucha (though I am not as observant as I do not keep kosher outside the home and do not observe Shabbos as much as I should), I am always excited to meet fellow Jews on Disboards! :D I am also from New York and live in Central Nassau, about 30 minutes northeast of JFK. It is pretty amazing to see how observant you are as I love learning about kashrut (I'll admit, Disney does a pretty good job and was first at it if I'm not mistaken) as well as observing Shabbos while traveling. Happy Hanukkah and I look forward to being in WDW too from 1/10-1/15/2015 (sorry I will probably miss you due to dates), but I hope you ladies have a magical time! :D

:welcome: Nice to see a fellow New York Jew on here (not that there's any shortage of NY Jews ...)! Happy Chanukah!
Disney is pretty great about the Kosher stuff ... much better than a lot of other places. There are some places (like Universal) that don't have kosher options and don't let you bring in food, so you either have to leave the park to eat or hope they'll make an exception and let you bring food in ... so I definitely appreciate that Disney makes it so easy.
I think you picked a great time to visit - we were there around that time a few years ago, and the weather was good and the crowds were great! I think we'll overlap by a day or two, so maybe we'll pass each other in the parks.
Have a wonderful & magical trip!!

Looks like a fun filled day 6!

Thanks!

I haven't played mini golf in Disney but I do love mini golf but I am horrible at it....

I'm horrible at it and I don't love it. But I love taking pictures, so hopefully that will make me feel better about the golfing...

:rotfl2:<---- hating princesses, I was like wait? what? really? You won't fool me again!

I may or may not have done that just to see if anyone fell for it. I might secretly be really mean.

Illuminations is so gorgeous the only thing that annoys me is since it's so low and on the water you do need a decent spot...I hope you get a perfect one!

Yeah, we've had a hard time finding decent spots sometimes, but hopefully we'll get a great spot this time!

Good plans. I'm sure you'll be able to get to mini golf just fine using Disney Transportation. Probably much easier than if someone were to try to drive there on their own. I don't remember the layout there, but I'd say that they'll likely make sure you can get across the race course somehow.

It looks like you might be one of the few who like It's A Small Mexico as much as my kids. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter