• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The One Where I Forget to Take Pics - A December 2015 Dining Report - COMPLETED, 2/8: Boma

The reason I ask is because I made a 16x9 pan of a wonderful creamy cheesy potato casserole, and it sounded similar. My recipe had shredded frozen hash browns, bits of ham, a huge amount of cheese, and some cream of chicken and cream of celery soup to make it creamy. I ate the whole darned thing myself!
Wow, that DOES sound delicous!! I wouldn't share that either! YUMMM! :cutie:

Wait, what? You can have Ohana delivered to your ROOM now?!?! BRB, going to change my reservations from Beach Club to the Polynesian....
I don't think the advertise it very well, but they offer it for at least 2 people I believe. You get a sampling of all the Ohana items for something like $40 a person, which I think is more than the actual restaurant but hello it comes to your room ; )

We need to talk about that potato casserole for a moment. OH. MY. GOD. It was absolutely delicious! I would go back to Akershus JUST for that! I know I put in a re-order of it, and may have eaten it all by myself! SO GOOD! (I think I got more waffles, too... Because MICKEY WAFFLES.)
We didn't enjoy our experience here as much as you, but the high point was definitely those potatoes. The Norwegians definitely know what they are doing in the potato department. Though I had no idea you could get waffles. That would have helped our meal immensely ; )

Another first for me! Aside from the crushing about of crowds in this place and the fact that I pretty much had to shank somebody to get a table for us, it was a really enjoyable experience!
I hope to try this for the first time on our next trip too. Since we'll be at beach club I figure a breakfast in Paris is warranted

Grilled Chicken & BBQ Spare Ribs - Served with a double order of baked beans. (Normally it comes with coleslaw, which I don't love, so I asked for a second order or beans instead, and they were happy to accomodate me!)
That is a lot of food and looks oh so good. I don't know what it is about Disney beans but we've always had really good ones. Whispering Canyon still has the best I've ever had

Joining in! Greetings from the December board! Everything looks delicious so far. I just started a dining report with no pictures, and am too lazy to even google any, so consider yourself a pro writer with that extra step!

I don't think the advertise it very well, but they offer it for at least 2 people I believe. You get a sampling of all the Ohana items for something like $40 a person, which I think is more than the actual restaurant but hello it comes to your room ; )
That sounds amazeballs!!! :eek:

We didn't enjoy our experience here as much as you, but the high point was definitely those potatoes. The Norwegians definitely know what they are doing in the potato department. Though I had no idea you could get waffles. That would have helped our meal immensely ; )
I would have had NO IDEA about the waffles either if I hadn't read it here on the DIS. At Akershus, you absolutely CAN get Mickey waffles! You just have to ask for them. But your server won't tell you that! It's so weird! :confused3

I hope to try this for the first time on our next trip too. Since we'll be at beach club I figure a breakfast in Paris is warranted
Seems legit. :thumbsup2

That is a lot of food and looks oh so good. I don't know what it is about Disney beans but we've always had really good ones. Whispering Canyon still has the best I've ever had
I loved everything at Whispering Canyon! And yeah, Fairfax Fare was a ton of food, but it was fine, since I'm always STARVING. :rotfl:

Joining in! Greetings from the December board! Everything looks delicious so far. I just started a dining report with no pictures, and am too lazy to even google any, so consider yourself a pro writer with that extra step!
Haha, I'm usually all on top of taking food pics during my trips. I was seriously slacking this time, so I have to make up for it somehow! :goodvibes

Kona Cafe
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Monday, December 7, 2015
Breakfast

This was a last-minute addition to my ADRs for this trip. I've read about that Tonga Toast for years here on the DIS, so breakfast there has been on my bucket list for a long time.

20151207_113151-1.jpg

Kona Coffee Pressed Pot. Yes, I took the photo of it being pressed... why not?) This totally lived up to the hype. SO very rich and delicious. I loved it!

20151207_114120-1.jpg

The little dish they brought out with maple syrup, strawberry compote (for my Tonga Toast), butter, an ketchup. (Apparently I was really on the ball with the picture-taking this morning!)

20151207_115239-1.jpg

Tonga Toast (Banana-stuffed Sourdough French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage), pre-strawberry stuff. It came with two sausage links, but I ate one. WHOOPS! Couldn't help myself... The breakfast sausage they serve at Ohana and Kona is the best on the whole property. Sooooo good!

20151207_115445-1.jpg

Tonga Toast with the strawberry compote poured over it. This also lived up to the hype. It was SUPER delicious!!!

20151207_115248-1.jpg

However! THIS is the dish I would order if I ever find myself at Kona for breakfast again. Oh. My. God. This is the Samoan (Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash), and it was TO DIE FOR. I'm still dreaming about this, it was so good!

20151207_115252-1.jpg

My uncle ordered this thing of beauty: The Big Kahuna (French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage). He was QUITE pleased with this!

20151207_115306-1.jpg

My aunt ordered the Steak and Eggs (A Char-grilled New York Strip Steak served with Two Eggs and Home-fried Potatoes). I have absolutely zero idea why they brought the potatoes in a separate dish, but it sure makes her steak and eggs look awful lonely, doesn't it? I'm also seeing that it says two eggs, but that sure does look like one egg on her plate. Hmm.

20151207_115309-1.jpg

She also ordered a fruit cup to go with hers It's the same fruit assortment you get at breakfast at Ohana. Pineapple, Honeydew, Canteloupe, Grapes, and I think there might have been some Watermelon in there, too.

Overall, this was an AWESOME breakfast, and I'm so glad that I worked it into our schedule. All three of us left happy and FULL! My only complaint was the service... Our server was VERY nice, but also very slow. And even though we told him not to charge it our Dining Plan, to do it as a room charge, he put it on our Dining Plan anyhow, which created issues later in the week. Doh!

My recipe had shredded frozen hash browns, bits of ham, a huge amount of cheese, and some cream of chicken and cream of celery soup to make it creamy. I ate the whole darned thing myself!

Sounds sooooo delicious!!!!

Kona Cafe
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Monday, December 7, 2015
Breakfast

I've been waiting for this one. So excited to read on

This looks mouth watering, lip smacking good.

Tonga Toast with the strawberry compote poured over it. This also lived up to the hype. It was SUPER delicious!!!

This makes me soooo happy!!!

Overall, this was an AWESOME breakfast

It certainly looks like it! Glad you remembered to take pics this time

I'm loving all of your reviews! They are very insightful and descriptive.

I love taking food pics too, and have even "trained" my family to do the same- DH will take pics of his food before he starts to eat and reminds me to when I forget, and DS went with his girlfriend last month and kept texting me food pics!

You have me dreaming of Tonga toast now. I found out they serve it at Capt. Cook's too so we're going to pop in on the way to MK on our next trip. DH and DS got the Big Kahuna when we did Kona breakfast too. That macadamia nut butter is scrumptious!

Can't wait to read more about your eating adventures!

I should not be reading this review at breakfast time when there is nothing but cereal and 5 day old bagels in the house ; )

So happy you loved Kona as much as we do and fell in love with the amazing Samoan. I've never even tried the Tonga Toast, because I can't tear myself away from the beauty that is the Samoan. Best breakfast dish ever and I'm not even a big breakfast fan ; )

And your service issues are the norm there. The food is great but service is always slow and not quite as friendly as most disney CM's. I like to think of it as the diner of the resort ; )

Kona's food looks amazing. I realized I have a free breakfast time when the kids are at the pirate adventure, but we're at GF, so I think we're going to try the Grand Floridian Cafe, rather then Kona.

I have been wanting to try Akershus for the princesses and the potato casserole alone LOL. I just can't justify the price tag for Justin and I - someday we'll get there. If my mom and I go I'm sure she'd go with me. :) Sounds like the cheesy potatoes that we always have at holidays in our family!

I LOVED KONA. LOVED. Like I don't know if I can go back to WDW without eating there. I am struggling because we want to go to WDW in April and I don't know if we'll get there. But I NEED those pineapple macadamia pancakes and now you have me convinced I also need the Samoan. Need. :rotfl2:

Les Halles is a favorite of mine. Usually I just grab pastries for the next day, I've only actually eaten there once but looks like we definitely need to again. So much yummmmm in there.

My super delicious lunch! The sandwich was: Croissant Jambon Fromage (ham, cheese and bechamel in a croissant). It was so warm and gooey and the croissant was so soft and just mmmmm!

THIS LOOKED AMAZING!

I think you just know what to order... everything looks good

However! THIS is the dish I would order if I ever find myself at Kona for breakfast again. Oh. My. God. This is the Samoan (Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash), and it was TO DIE FOR. I'm still dreaming about this, it was so good!

This looks delish! I think I have to do breakfast at Kona in August just for this. And the coffee. Wonder if they serve that coffee to go elsewhere at the hotel. :scratchin One of these days I'm going to bring my aeropress with me just so I can make my own coffee on the trip. It's always so hard finding good coffee.

My only complaint was the service... Our server was VERY nice, but also very slow. And even though we told him not to charge it our Dining Plan, to do it as a room charge, he put it on our Dining Plan anyhow, which created issues later in the week.

Oh, that's too bad. I hope you got it straightened out.

Great update as usual!

My super delicious lunch! The sandwich was: Croissant Jambon Fromage (ham, cheese and bechamel in a croissant). It was so warm and gooey and the croissant was so soft and just mmmmm!

The dessert: Cafe Liegeois (coffee and cream mousse with chocolate). Lovedddd this! I'm not usually a mousse person, but I love coffee-flavored desserts, so I decided to give it a try. Oh lord have mercy, sooo smooth and light and delicious!

The croissant sandwich looks delish, but it's the coffee mousse that I'm dying over!! I'm a tiramisu freak so that looks right up my alley!

The chicken was VERY good. The ribs were too, but a little too saucy for my liking. (I prefer dry rub or lightly sauced). The shining star, surprisingly, were the beans! THEY WERE SO GOOD. I remember they

I agree with you, the ribs look a little saucy for me too.

I went with the Banana Parfait, with vanilla wafers and Heath bar crunch. There wasn't anything super remarkable about it,

Yum! I think that looks good but I'm a banana pudding and vanilla wafer girl...

I'm so happy to read about Kona Cafe!! All the pics I see of Tonga toast look yummy but is it heavy or dry? I guess I'm just a sauce kinda girl and the strawberry compote kinda scares me, I'm not a fan of any kind of cooked fruit :crazy2:
I know I'm weird...

This is the Samoan (Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash), and it was TO DIE FOR. I'm still dreaming about this, it was so good!

This!!!!!! :worship: Yes!!!!

Just reminded me that I need to get to Kona's...I really would love to try that Tonga Toast...Do you think ADR's are necessary? Going Feb 9-12?

Joining in! Everything looks so good! We ate at Kona for breakfast last year and I think I have to stay at the Poly sometime in the near future, just so I can eat everything on that menu. I had the Tonga Toast and it was fantastic, but everything looked so yummy!

Kona Coffee Pressed Pot. Yes, I took the photo of it being pressed... why not?) This totally lived up to the hype. SO very rich and delicious. I loved it!

Ok, so I really want to get this but two things.

1. Is it too much for one person? I do love coffee and drink about 2-3 cups with breakfast. I'm not sure if it would be overkill for just me to get it.

2. Um, I don't know how to work a French Press. Do I need to do anything? Just pour? I would hate for me to have a coffee disaster in the middle of Kona!

20151207_115445-1.jpg

I would literally crawl to the Polynesian to taste this right now. It looks AMAZING!

20151207_115252-1.jpg

My uncle ordered this thing of beauty: The Big Kahuna (French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage). He was QUITE pleased with this!

Ok, see this looks like perfection too. I want this and Tonga Toast but could never eat both at one meal. Would it be crazy to have 2 Kona breakfasts?

It sounds like a great experience! And I've read amazing things about the Samoan!!

we have been to Akershus a few times with our kids and their kids..and I am the only one that didnt like the potato casserole that everyone raved about...I loved everything else and especially the area with cold items...delicious place and great interaction with the princesses

I've been waiting for this one. So excited to read on
It's a good thing I remembered to take photos, then! :cutie:

This looks mouth watering, lip smacking good.
It was crazy tasty!

This makes me soooo happy!!!
I'm very happy to hear it!

It certainly looks like it! Glad you remembered to take pics this time
Yeah, me too! :laughing:

I'm loving all of your reviews! They are very insightful and descriptive.
Yay, I'm glad to hear it!

I love taking food pics too, and have even "trained" my family to do the same- DH will take pics of his food before he starts to eat and reminds me to when I forget, and DS went with his girlfriend last month and kept texting me food pics!
Haha, that's awesome! By the end of the trip, my aunt and uncle were reminding me to take my food pics before digging in!

You have me dreaming of Tonga toast now. I found out they serve it at Capt. Cook's too so we're going to pop in on the way to MK on our next trip. DH and DS got the Big Kahuna when we did Kona breakfast too. That macadamia nut butter is scrumptious!
Just keep in mind that, from what I understand, the Tonga Toast at Capr. Cook's doesn't come with the strawberry compote. I dunno if that's a deal-breaker for you or not!

Can't wait to read more about your eating adventures!
I can't wait to share them!

I should not be reading this review at breakfast time when there is nothing but cereal and 5 day old bagels in the house ; )
I have a bad habit of reading your reviews when I'm stuck at work and my lunch break is still a distant blip on the horizon.

So happy you loved Kona as much as we do and fell in love with the amazing Samoan. I've never even tried the Tonga Toast, because I can't tear myself away from the beauty that is the Samoan. Best breakfast dish ever and I'm not even a big breakfast fan ; )
I had to try the Tonga Toast just to knock it off of my list. And it WAS good, but you're right, the Samoan was amazeballs for sure!!!

And your service issues are the norm there. The food is great but service is always slow and not quite as friendly as most disney CM's. I like to think of it as the diner of the resort ; )
In our case, the guys was plenty friendly. Just was slow, and then didn't charge us correctly. Boooo.

Kona's food looks amazing. I realized I have a free breakfast time when the kids are at the pirate adventure, but we're at GF, so I think we're going to try the Grand Floridian Cafe, rather then Kona.
I've heard good things about Grand Floridian Cafe, too!

I have been wanting to try Akershus for the princesses and the potato casserole alone LOL. I just can't justify the price tag for Justin and I - someday we'll get there. If my mom and I go I'm sure she'd go with me. :) Sounds like the cheesy potatoes that we always have at holidays in our family!
Honestly, the princesses and the potatoes really are the best parts!

I LOVED KONA. LOVED. Like I don't know if I can go back to WDW without eating there. I am struggling because we want to go to WDW in April and I don't know if we'll get there. But I NEED those pineapple macadamia pancakes and now you have me convinced I also need the Samoan. Need. :rotfl2:
You do need the Samoan. Trust me on this. It's DELICIOUS!

Les Halles is a favorite of mine. Usually I just grab pastries for the next day, I've only actually eaten there once but looks like we definitely need to again. So much yummmmm in there.
It definitely surpassed my expectations!

THIS LOOKED AMAZING!

I think you just know what to order... everything looks good
It's that fat girl sixth sense that I have... I PICK GOOD FOOD. :rotfl: :thumbsup2

This looks delish! I think I have to do breakfast at Kona in August just for this. And the coffee. Wonder if they serve that coffee to go elsewhere at the hotel. :scratchin One of these days I'm going to bring my aeropress with me just so I can make my own coffee on the trip. It's always so hard finding good coffee.
Not sure about the coffee, honestly! It's definitely delicious, though!

Oh, that's too bad. I hope you got it straightened out.

Great update as usual!
We did on our final night, but it still bugged me. Do your job right, people! :laughing:

The croissant sandwich looks delish, but it's the coffee mousse that I'm dying over!! I'm a tiramisu freak so that looks right up my alley!
I loooooove tiramisu also, so I can totally relate!

I agree with you, the ribs look a little saucy for me too.
Yeah, but obviously I ate them anyhow. :rotfl:

Yum! I think that looks good but I'm a banana pudding and vanilla wafer girl...
It was a nice little dessert, no complaints here!

I'm so happy to read about Kona Cafe!! All the pics I see of Tonga toast look yummy but is it heavy or dry? I guess I'm just a sauce kinda girl and the strawberry compote kinda scares me, I'm not a fan of any kind of cooked fruit :crazy2:
I know I'm weird...
Does it help to know that the strawberry compote isn't hot? It's cold. It reminded me of the strawberry soup at 1900 Park Fare, but thicker.

This!!!!!! :worship: Yes!!!!
SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

Just reminded me that I need to get to Kona's...I really would love to try that Tonga Toast...Do you think ADR's are necessary? Going Feb 9-12?
Hmm, not sure how necessary they would be. You're talking to the girl who makes ADRs for everything! I did manage to get my Kona ADR pretty late in the game, though! Maybe a month before my trip, if memory serves!

What she said!

images
Deeeeeeeeeeiciousness!!!!

Joining in! Everything looks so good! We ate at Kona for breakfast last year and I think I have to stay at the Poly sometime in the near future, just so I can eat everything on that menu. I had the Tonga Toast and it was fantastic, but everything looked so yummy!
It was really hard to choose (hence why I decided to be a big pig and order two entrees!). I'm not so impressed by their lunch/dinner menus, but breakfast is AWESOME!

Ok, so I really want to get this but two things.

1. Is it too much for one person? I do love coffee and drink about 2-3 cups with breakfast. I'm not sure if it would be overkill for just me to get it.
I think we got 3-4 cups out of our pot! So one might be just right for you!

2. Um, I don't know how to work a French Press. Do I need to do anything? Just pour? I would hate for me to have a coffee disaster in the middle of Kona!
Just pour! Your server will do the actually pressing part!

I would literally crawl to the Polynesian to taste this right now. It looks AMAZING!
It would be worth the crawl, trust me!

Ok, see this looks like perfection too. I want this and Tonga Toast but could never eat both at one meal. Would it be crazy to have 2 Kona breakfasts?

It sounds like a great experience! And I've read amazing things about the Samoan!!
Not crazy at all! It's your vacation, do what makes you happy! :goodvibes

we have been to Akershus a few times with our kids and their kids..and I am the only one that didnt like the potato casserole that everyone raved about...I loved everything else and especially the area with cold items...delicious place and great interaction with the princesses
I thought the cold bar was a really neat option to have in addition to the hot offerings that are brought to your table!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter