The Official 'WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER' Thread

I'm assuming that they'll have a big grand opening for this. Do you think they'll do a soft open first and then a grand opening later? I know this is usually how they do these things, but with this being so anticipated, I didn't know.

I'd like to be down there for the opening. ;)

I've been tracking the progress on mugglenet.com its a fansite that keeps pretty much on top of all things Potter. They even had some photos of the progress so far somewhere in their site. I can remember where. I have started saving up for a solo trip down for openning. I've never stayed at universal so I have to start my research.

I've been tracking the progress on mugglenet.com its a fansite that keeps pretty much on top of all things Potter. They even had some photos of the progress so far somewhere in their site. I can remember where. I have started saving up for a solo trip down for openning. I've never stayed at universal so I have to start my research.
If you have questions, please feel free to ask...we are here to help!

Thanks for the offer. My main concern is transportation. I hate renting cars. Disney makes it so easy, guess I'm spoiled. Anyways does Universal offer transportation from their hotels to the parks or are you on your own? Also are there any shuttles from the airport and back or are you on your own with that? Also I saw their hotels offer smoking rooms and pet friendly rooms. Are you able to book rooms specifically away from those sections? My asthma is horrible now and I can't even be near smoke.

Thanks for the offer. My main concern is transportation. I hate renting cars. Disney makes it so easy, guess I'm spoiled. Anyways does Universal offer transportation from their hotels to the parks or are you on your own? Also are there any shuttles from the airport and back or are you on your own with that? Also I saw their hotels offer smoking rooms and pet friendly rooms. Are you able to book rooms specifically away from those sections? My asthma is horrible now and I can't even be near smoke.
The hotels are close enough to either walk or take water taxis or rickshaws...no need for other transportation. I think you will be surprised at how close they are to the parks. You are on your own for the airport transfers but there are several companies the homies use. They will have to answer that question for you since I never go to the airport. I believe you can request a non-smoking room but you might want to call explain your situation directly. I'm sure they will work with you.

Just passed the park and saw them working on the roof the big building they put up...I also heard that they're using robot arm technology to use as a ride through all the books and it's climax will be in the Chamber of Secrets. Anybody know anything about that?

I'm assuming that they'll have a big grand opening for this. Do you think they'll do a soft open first and then a grand opening later? I know this is usually how they do these things, but with this being so anticipated, I didn't know.

I'd like to be down there for the opening. ;)

i am hopeful that there will be a special opening for all AP holders.
in the past, there have been special events for AP holders when new rides open up. maybe the AP holders will get that special perk for the new island.

Also I saw their hotels offer smoking rooms and pet friendly rooms. Are you able to book rooms specifically away from those sections? My asthma is horrible now and I can't even be near smoke.

HRH is smoke free
PBH and RPB does have some smoking rooms

i am hopeful that there will be a special opening for all AP holders.
in the past, there have been special events for AP holders when new rides open up. maybe the AP holders will get that special perk for the new island.
Let's hope so too and have it on a weekend so I won't have to miss work to go. :sad2:

I was thinking Poseidon's Fury could be re-themed as the Chamber of Secrets as I was re-watching that movie the other day. Has anyone heard mention of this?

That is a great idea...poseidon's fury is great and everything...but now that the large waterway is being turned off (the best part of the attraction)...there is really no reason why they shouldn't update it with something new. The Chamber fo Secrets is possibly the best idea that i've heard in along time.

That is a great idea...poseidon's fury is great and everything...but now that the large waterway is being turned off (the best part of the attraction)...there is really no reason why they shouldn't update it with something new. The Chamber fo Secrets is possibly the best idea that i've heard in along time.

Hmm, sorry but this sounds like Disney's reasoning behind changing things...they let something get outdated, start limiting effects and upkeep until people don't even want to go on it anymore, then say "here are how bad the attendance numbers are" as the excuse to green-light a replacement.

I'm not saying that they couldn't use something new, I just think that's not a good argument.

Poseidan's Fury is an attraction we hardly go to see anymore. I wish they would do something with it that makes you want to see it everytime you go.

We are HUGE HP fans here. Because the kids are younger, mostly, we haven't gone to Universal yet. But with a 2010 opening, I forsee an Orlando trip that's not Disney, but rather US and Sea World coming up.

I have to wonder how hard Disney will fight back for the business - HP is huge, and it's going to drag away a lot of the crowds.

I wish Diagon Alley was going to be part of it, but it doesn't sound that way.

I keep thinking about the centrepiece attraction and I can't figure out what it would be - Quidditch doesn't have enough players to make that make sense...some horrible adventure through the Forest?

I think so too, and thought if I had that idea surely Universal Creative has considered it. Poseidon's Fury was neat once, but really had no desire for repeat visits but my husband really likes it so we always do it once during our visits. But if it were the Chamber of Secrets that would probably hold more interest for me. I didn't know they were turning off the spinning water, why?

We are HUGE HP fans here. Because the kids are younger, mostly, we haven't gone to Universal yet. But with a 2010 opening, I forsee an Orlando trip that's not Disney, but rather US and Sea World coming up.

I have to wonder how hard Disney will fight back for the business - HP is huge, and it's going to drag away a lot of the crowds.

I wish Diagon Alley was going to be part of it, but it doesn't sound that way.

I keep thinking about the centrepiece attraction and I can't figure out what it would be - Quidditch doesn't have enough players to make that make sense...some horrible adventure through the Forest?

I just assumed Diagon Alley would be a central walkway with shops and such, that would be so neat. I'm really sad to hear it is not in the plans, it just makes sense to have that area with shops and restaurants, at least to me.

That robotic arm thing does seem like it would be conducive to a flying ride, maybe it will take us through different scenes, quidditch, flying car, through the dark forest, into the lake, by the whomping willow etc.

I believe they are having an area with a restaurant and shops, but it will be Hogsmede Village with The Three Broomsticks for a restaurant. From the pictures I've seen the whole village is going to be covered in "snow"

Not a Harry Potter fan but it will be interesting to see what Universal will do with it and knowing Universal it will be cool :thumbsup2

Do you think it would be ready by the end of August 2010 or would 2011 be a better bet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!