<><> The "Official" DISNEY RECIPE Exchange! <><> 1850+ recipes!

This was the recipe I used last summer and here are my comments from that time:
Cook's Note: "I had to use 2 cake pans (1 – 9” and another 12”) because I didn't have 6” pans. I doubled the amount of berries because they looked very sparse in the cake pan. If one makes this in 4 - 6" cake pans (as this recipe calls for) then ½ cup berries per dessert might work but I think more is better because there’s a fair amount of dough. My pans baked far longer than 15” (more like 45 – 55") and the edges were done well before the middle. The dessert tastes delicious. 4 portions would be a LOT per person. "

According to what's printed in the Delicious Disney Cookbook they use:
1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons baking powder to 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter.

Yes, but I notice that you didn't include any measurement changes in your notes for the cobbler recipe (quoted above). I was just wondering if the measurements in the version that I gave were correct after all.

Last night I made the Butternut Squash Soup from Boma as well as the Durban spiced chicken and Olivia's Key Lime pie. This time I used only boneless thighs and breasts that had been marinated, baked and served over a veggie rice, instead of the whole chicken. This marinade is outstanding and is quickly becoming a standard recipe for me. Last time I used the leftover cold chicken and made a salad using the Chili Cilantro Vinaigrette that's part of the recipe. Delicious. Orginally this is a roast chicken salad but works superbly as a marinade on roast chicken. I've made the key lime pie many times as Olivia's recipe is the best.

Boma: Butternut Squash Soup
2 tablespoons Butter
1 each Garlic Cloves
1 each Onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1 teaspoon Coriander, ground
1 pound Butternut Squash, cut in chunks
2 teaspoons Curry Paste, red
2 cups Vegetable Stock
2 cups Milk
4 tablespoons Sour Cream
2 each Fresh Lemons, juiced
To taste -- Black Pepper and Salt
To taste -- Cilantro Sprigs

In a large pot, heat the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add all the spices, lemon juice, and curry paste. Add squash and cover with the stock. Simmer until squash is cooked.

Puree the soup until smooth and add the salt and pepper to tastes. Return to the heat and add the milk and sour cream. Do not boil. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.

I followed the recipe exactly except I used the juice of 1 1/2 lemons as they were quite large. It tasted very sour (and the milk curdled a little when added) so I added brown sugar and more cumin. It was still too sour for me and my DS to enjoy. Only my Mom liked it as she likes sour stuff. It wasn't on the menu the day I ate at Boma (just a muddy tasting mushroom soup) but others have commented that this soup has a sweet taste and might have had cinnamon and nutmeg. I'll add that tonight plus more brown sugar and orange juice. If I make this again I'll use very little or no lemon juice.
Alton Browne (Food Network) uses no lemon but honey, ginger and nutmeg and the ones at Epicurious.com use many varations with ginger, brown sugar, green apple, Green Chili sauce, orange juice but not lemon.

I think the lemon is a mistake.

Update: When I reheated the soup I added the juice of one blood orange, more brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and DS and I liked it better. Mom prefers the sour version and wants the recipe, LOL.

Tatania - re: O'hana wings - thanks so much for the input - makes complete sense - I'll be trying your recipe next time. I've had the Durban chicken on my list of new recipes to try for a while now, but haven't had much chance to cook lately - after hearing your review, I'm going to move it to the top of my list!

bnf2 - no problem about not remembering for comparison - I've made a few things that I've actually tried at WDW and they have been delicious, but can't say for sure if it was a dead ringer for the original - either way, good is good!

Yes, but I notice that you didn't include any measurement changes in your notes for the cobbler recipe (quoted above). I was just wondering if the measurements in the version that I gave were correct after all.

Sorry, misunderstood what you had asked, hehe. I THINK I used the 1/4 tbsp. salt & 2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder when I made it but since I had both recipes, I'm not 100% sure anymore. The notes I made are under the the one with the tbsp. so I'm guessing I used that.

On page 236 we have a request for the Almond-crusted Cheesecake from Narcoossee's.
We can take that request off the list :)

918narmycheesecake4x4nu1.jpg

Almond-crusted Cheesecake - Inspired by the Year of a Million Dreams and served with Lambert cherry sauce.
Narcoossee's, Grand Floridian
Yield: 10 portions

INGREDIENTS
30 oz Cream cheese
7-1/2 oz Sugar
2 oz Sour cream
4 oz Whole eggs
¼ oz Almond essence
2 oz Heavy cream
¼ sheet Yellow cake or a 1 layer pie dough
15 oz Whipped cream
1 oz Chocolate dust for garnish
2-1/2 oz Semisweet chocolate for garnish
7-1/2 oz Sugared almonds
10 oz White ganache for garnish

METHOD:
Grease individual molds.
Roll out pie dough or cut sponge cake – ¼ inch to ¾ inch thick - and line bottom of molds
Combine cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl.
Blend in heavy cream and sour cream.
Mix until smooth.
Blend in eggs and almond.
Mix until smooth.
Pour mixture into the molds
Bake in a water bath at 300o F. for approximately 2 hours, or until filling is set.
Serve cold and top with sugared almonds

SUGAR ALMONDS

INGREDIENTS:
6 oz Sliced almonds
1 oz Egg whites
6 oz Sugar

METHOD:
Mix all ingredients together and evenly covered with egg whites and sugar. Bake at 250 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown

LAMBERT CHERRY SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Pureed strawberries (from fresh or frozen strawberries)
1 cup Pureed raspberries (from fresh or frozen raspberries)
1 cup Pureed blueberries (from fresh or frozen blueberries)
1 cup Pureed blackberries (from fresh or frozen blackberries)
¼ cup Sugar or to taste
1 tbls Water
2 cups Pureed blackcherries (from fresh or frozen)
METHOD:
Bring fruit purees, sugar and water to a boil
Add cherry puree and stir to incorporate
Let cool before using

For le Cellier: Sweet Potato Puree request is posted on Page 72 post#1072
Steak & Noodle Stirfry request - formerly on the menu as Stir-fried Beef Tips. The Chef wrote to me and said that they no longer have the recipe as it's been off the menu a while now. All he could find was the Spicy Honey Soy Vinaigrette/Glaze recipe they used in it which is posted on page 77.

:wave2: I have changed the page number in the index for the Honey Coriander Wings to page 86 since it includes the one originally posted here on the Recipe Exchange, as well as noting that there are 3 versions...so far. ;)

BTW, llyninpa, if you're updating the request list I'd just like to note that the requests for:
Boma (266: Peanut Rice Sauce & 931: Coconut Pudding? Mousse?) are posted on page 65 #567 for the Peanut Rice Sauce and Cocomisu: post #954.

The Main Street Bakery Citrus Cake - this is probably the Grapefruit Cake as it's the recipe I was sent when I requested it.

Oops! Guess I did not read the recipe for the Peanut Rice carefully enough. I will delete it from the Requested List. :upsidedow

There is a simple coconut pudding/mousse served on occasion at Boma in addition to the Cocomisu. :upsidedow

The Citrus Cake that was served at The Main Street Bakery is not the same as the Grapefruit Cake at The Brown Derby, although I am sure it is just as yummy! ;)

The Citrus Cake that was served at The Main Street Bakery is not the same as the Grapefruit Cake at The Brown Derby, although I am sure it is just as yummy!

I kind of figured that, but I won't bother writing back to them about it. I can't be sure it's on the menu anymore because I didn't see it :confused3

Welsh Dragon
Rose & Crown Restaurant, EPCOT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Ingredients
3/4 ounce peach schnapps
3/4 ounce melon liqueur
1/2 ounce green crème de menthe
to taste orange juice
to taste pineapple juice

Method of preparation:
Mix all ingredients together, blending well. Pour over ice. Enjoy!

Rocky Mountain Mudslide

Coral Reef, Epcot
Glassware: Tear Drop
Preparation: Chocolate on the inside of the glass and in the drink.

Ingredients: Absolute Vodka 1 oz
Kalhua .5 oz
Amaretto .5 oz
*Ice Cream Mix 2 oz
Chocolate Syrup 1 oz
Garnish: Whipped cream on top with a cherry

Presentation: Mixed together with ice cream mix, chocolate syrup and alcohol. Then poured into a glass, drizzled with chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream and a cherry.

*Restaurants use ice cream mixes purchased in bulk. For drink purposes just use melted vanilla ice cream. In case you want to make your own mix:

Regular Vanilla Ice Cream mix recipe

Table cream 2 litres (2 US quarts)
Instant skim-milk powder 350 ml (1.5 cups)
Sugar 450 ml (2 cups)
Gelatin one 7 g (1/4 oz.) pkg.
Egg one med or large
Vanilla 10 ml (2 teaspons)

The mix (unfrozen ice cream) has to be cooked (pasteurized). For pasteurizing the mix, it is best to use a double boiler to prevent scorching.
Place the liquid ingredients (milk, cream or coffee whitener) in the upper section of the double boiler. Beat in the eggs and the skim-milk powder. Mix the gelatin with the sugar and add to the liquid with constant mixing. While stirring, heat to about 70oC. Place the container in cold water and cool as rapidly as possible to below 18oC.

Aging the Mix
The ice cream mix is best if it is aged (stored in the refrigerator) overnight. This improves the whipping qualities of the mix and the body and texture of the ice cream. If time does not permit overnight aging, let the mix stand in the refrigerator for at least four hours. After the aging process is completed, remove the mix from the refrigerator and stir in the flavouring or use in your recipes.

I checked the list on page one, and the request list, and didn't see this one-my favorite dessert at WDW-Narcoossee's Almond Crusted Cheesecake. Could you please add it to the request list? Thanks.

EDITTED-Never mind-I just saw it on page 86. :confused3

And thanks for all the hard work maintaining this thread. :goodvibes

Added-while looking for the above recipe, I turned up a few interesting ones that I don't see listed on page one (unless I'm blind! :rotfl2: )

Here's the first one:
Tie-Dyed (Red Velvet) Cheesecake Recipe
Walt Disney’s Pop Century Resort.

Ingredients for Crust:
1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (or white cake mix with red food coloring), prepared according to box directions.

Preparation:
Pour 1/2 of prepared cake mix into a greased 9-inch springform pan and bake according to the directions on the box for a 9-inch layer cake. Discard extra batter (or make 2).
Allow cake layer to cool completely in the pan. Set aside.

Ingredients for Cheesecake:
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
Food coloring

Preparation:
Preheat your oven to 325 F ( or 162 C.)In a large bowl- beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and almond extract until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add in sour cream.
Divide mixture into 5 small bowls and add the following colors to each one: pink, yellow, blue, green and purple. Pour batters onto cake base in the 9-inch springform pan. Do not swirl too much, so the colors will be clearly visible.
Bake for 35 minutes, until the center is just about set when you jiggle the pan.
Allow to cool completely and refrigerate before serving.
Run a knife the cake to release it before removing sides of pan.

And one more-
DISNEY CRYSTAL PALACE AMBROSIA
From the early 1980s.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup mixed fruit or canned fruit cocktail
½ cup mandarin oranges
½ cup pineapple tidbits
¼ cup crushed pineapple
½ cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup flaked coconut
¾ cup sour cream
¼ cup maraschino cherries, halved
¼ cup red seedless grapes
PREPARATION:
Drain fruits well. Combine with marshmallows, coconut, sour cream, cherries and grapes, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Chill well. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 114 calories (42 percent from fat), 5.7 g fat (3.7 g saturated, 1.4 g monounsaturated), 9.5 mg cholesterol, 1.2 g protein, 16.2 g carbohydrates, 0.9 g fiber, 18.3 mg sodium.

THanks so much for the feedback and I'll add this note to my recipe. Did your DMIL find a litte sweet as that's what I felt this time around - esp. compared to the other dessert I had.

Now that you mention it....DMIL said it was really good, but wasn't sure if the cake was what she remembered. She only had a nibble off my DH's plate, though, and I don't know if she thought it was too sweet. I'll try and remember to ask her when we talk next weekend. Both she and my DFIL liked the results well enough to serve to their friends, though!

Thank you for posting a review of the Honey Crunch Cake, deekaypee! :thumbsup2

No, thank YOU for this thread. It's folks like you and Tatania that keep it going. I hope to be cooking more, with my limited skills, in the near future. (About five pounds from now....)

Seriously, this is a great thread & makes my weekly menu-planning more pleasant, even if I'm just daydreaming! :thumbsup2

I checked the list on page one, and the request list, and didn't see this one-my favorite dessert at WDW-Narcoossee's Almond Crusted Cheesecake. Could you please add it to the request list? Thanks.

EDITTED-Never mind-I just saw it on page 86. :confused3

The recipe was just added this morning-and was taken off of the Request list just this evening! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter