The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

I'm officially registered for the half... and nervous, but excited. I have done distance walking in the past (two 60-mile 3-day events completed) but nothing where it was geared towards runners. Anyone else from DFW doing this solo?

We arrive at DW on the 2nd, but the rest of my group is planning to leave the day of the race. Wish I could talk them into one more night... :)

I'm looking at the registration for the 5K, and I don't see a stroller division... and when you go to register, it says:

5K: All ages are welcome to participate. Each participant must be able to complete the 5K on their own.

So, does that mean no strollers are allowed for this race? The way it's worded makes me think not, but Just wanted to get another set of eyes on this to see if I'm misunderstanding something!

Thank you!!

Looks like you are correct? Especially since in the past I have noticed an additional fee listed for entrants with strollers. Bummer!

Looks like you are correct? Especially since in the past I have noticed an additional fee listed for entrants with strollers. Bummer!

Dangit - I was hoping I was missing something! That is a bummer, since that means either my DH or I will have to skip it :(

My mom is doing this as her first 5K, so we will at least be at the finish line cheering her on!!

Dangit - I was hoping I was missing something! That is a bummer, since that means either my DH or I will have to skip it :(

My mom is doing this as her first 5K, so we will at least be at the finish line cheering her on!!

What a bummer! Hire a sitter? I know that isn't always a solution that folks are comfortable with or able to add financially to an already pricey trip. If it is your mom's first 5k, I vote that you get to race and your DH can watch the kids ;-).

What a bummer! Hire a sitter? I know that isn't always a solution that folks are comfortable with or able to add financially to an already pricey trip. If it is your mom's first 5k, I vote that you get to race and your DH can watch the kids ;-).

I know he would be totally fine with that! He was just doing the 5K in support of her, but I know he will be all for her and I doing the 5K together! :)

It's going to be a good long day though - 5K, Kids Races, the 13.1 plus yummy food and wine that night! :cool1:

I am registering right now for the W & D, are there any discount codes out there yet? Just thought I would check before I complete mu registration.

PlutoBaby said:
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I only stopped a couple of times, but the Cast Members were awesome about taking pictures with whatever you wanted to give them, phone, camera, sketch pad...:rotfl:

Yippee!!!:cool1::goodvibes You were in last year's picture right? What were you wearing? I'm trying to put faces with names.:goodvibes

BTW-If anyone knows how to use KT tape for IT band issues, please let me know. I'm getting desparate here! Thx!!

Just a thought-have a look at www.kttape.com as there are instructions for lots of different issues. I taped up the length of my IT band from outside of my knee and split it at main point of pain, with another tape that ran perpendicular to this again across the main area of pain. It's hard to describe but I'd say look online for demos might be easier!

I am registering right now for the W & D, are there any discount codes out there yet? Just thought I would check before I complete mu registration.

I called Run Disney today to ask about discounts (the full in Jan. had a Disney Visa discount) and they suggested I email wdwsportsregistration@disney.com.
DH did that and got a response that there were no credit card discounts for W&D 1/2 - but there was a $10 discount for DVC members. He was given a discount code. There were no discounts for the 5K.

We are officially registered - DH for the 1/2, Me and DGrD(9) for our first 5K:thumbsup2

I called Run Disney today to ask about discounts (the full in Jan. had a Disney Visa discount) and they suggested I email wdwsportsregistration@disney.com.
DH did that and got a response that there were no credit card discounts for W&D 1/2 - but there was a $10 discount for DVC members. He was given a discount code. There were no discounts for the 5K.

We are officially registered - DH for the 1/2, Me and DGrD(9) for our first 5K:thumbsup2

Thanks:goodvibes I am not a DVC member, but am Disney Visa. I registered anyway without a code. I searched and found nothing.

Super excited for my first trip to WDW:banana:, even if we are staying at a value and mostly going just for the run. I figure I will get a taste for it and be able to go for a real trip with my kids in 2014.

Hmmmm, must have had a stroller wreck at the January or PHM weekend....

I though the same thing. Curious about why they have changed the policy and if it will be for all races from now on. As much as I would love to run the 5k with the kids and use the stroller, I do understand how it could be a challenge keeping all of the runners safe for large events like the Disney runs. I know how often folks stopped without warning during the ToT and saw it cause some collisions and I can't imagine how hurt someone could get if smacked accidentally by a runner with a stroller.

I though the same thing. Curious about why they have changed the policy and if it will be for all races from now on. As much as I would love to run the 5k with the kids and use the stroller, I do understand how it could be a challenge keeping all of the runners safe for large events like the Disney runs. I know how often folks stopped without warning during the ToT and saw it cause some collisions and I can't imagine how hurt someone could get if smacked accidentally by a runner with a stroller.

That does make a lot of sense... So many people, with only so much room, something's gotta give!

That does make a lot of sense... So many people, with only so much room, something's gotta give!

Honestly, with the insurance races carry there is little wiggle room for the race to deviate from the policy... and most carriers will not allow strollers.

Funny thing as I saw a You-Tube of the 5k for the PHM (I think) and the last corral was let out of the gate behind a ribbon carried by cast members. It looked more parade like than race like.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this one- I would have never thought about it! I had to really dig on the member page to find the code too.

Just a thought-have a look at www.kttape.com as there are instructions for lots of different issues. I taped up the length of my IT band from outside of my knee and split it at main point of pain, with another tape that ran perpendicular to this again across the main area of pain. It's hard to describe but I'd say look online for demos might be easier!

Thanks! :goodvibes I did and went and got the tape last night. How long did it take for you to feel a difference in your pain level?

Do you have the link or could you point me to how to navigate to that page? I've been all over the DVC member site and I can't find it anywhere.

It is under Member Extras, then special offers. I believe they have a $10 dvc discount for every half and full and $20 off for the goofy.

It is under Member Extras, then special offers. I believe they have a $10 dvc discount for every half and full and $20 off for the goofy.

Got it - thanks so much! I saw that before but I had been looking for a link to click. I didn't realize the title was a link until I accidentally moved my mouse over it.

Yes, check out You Tube for instructions on taping the IT band/knee. I found the video they have helpful and it made it easy for me to tape myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter