The Non-Foodie Food Report-Deluxe Style 5/22-6/1(Final Thoughts)

I'm so glad I found your dining review. :)

We've eaten 'Ohana dinner once, and while we enjoyed it, I do have to say that the dessert is the best part!

Now, the breakfast at 'Ohana, is a totally different matter. We've been there about four or five times. We LOVE it--It is probably our favorite breakfast at Disney.

Can't wait to read more!

I am enjoying your reviews.

Congratulations on graduating and getting a job! I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and I am always happy to see other medical radiation technologists :thumbsup2

Thanks! DH is even more excited than me. He just happy I am back to work over taking off 2 years to go to school. He is thinking of all the fun things we can do with me having income, like new siding and central air. Ugh. I was thinking of taking another trip to Disney.

I'm so glad I found your dining review. :)

We've eaten 'Ohana dinner once, and while we enjoyed it, I do have to say that the dessert is the best part!

Now, the breakfast at 'Ohana, is a totally different matter. We've been there about four or five times. We LOVE it--It is probably our favorite breakfast at Disney.

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for following over. We loved the breakfast and will go back next trip.

The bread pudding is incredible. I thought I have seen people get it at the Kona Sushia place. If that is true I will definitely head over there next time, since we will probably skip the dinner next time.

Day 3 May 24

A little off topic note: When I was booking this trip I had a tough time picking a resort since I had never really seen them in person. I decided to use the DXDP to try TS places in resorts I might want to stay some day. Plus this would help when I ask DH where he wants to stay next time since he has seen them too.

We had another early ADR today. (I made them all early so DH and DD would be forced to wake up and get moving)

8AM at Boma
Everyone on these boards raves about Boma plus I really wanted to check out AKL so Boma was another last minute addition

We arrived about 1 minute late since DH was taking forever to get up. We checked in and waited a bit even though the place was pretty empty.
Then, our server brought us in and gave us our juice and explained the buffet. While we were getting our food he brought over my jug of coffee. I loved how at all the buffets they would leave the little jug of coffee. DH doesn't drink coffee so it was all mine, and much needed since I was up later than everyone and always the first one up.

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

DD plate- a whole plate filled with pancakes. At least she was eating though.

IMG_0441.jpg

My 1st plate
Choc. chip muffin I grabbed for DD which she did not eat
Goat cheese scrambled eggs-Yummy (I don't really like eggs very much but really enjoyed these)
Bacon- okay, WDW's bacon is pretty disappointing to me. I love crispy bacon without too much fat. This bacon was looks okay but always seemed pretty tasteless to me.
Sausage- same as Ohana's I think, not my favorite but okay. I like thinner sausage or the patties
Choc. chip crossaint- good
pancakes and waffles- good
french toast buried underneath-good
potato wedges-good
As you can see everyone was pretty good, nothing was out of this world spectacular liked I thought it was going to be. Then, again I didn't try some of the more unusual selections they had and maybe those would be awesome?

IMG_0442.jpg

DH's plate
Pancakes, eggs, and bacon
I think he went back once to try the goat cheese eggs but that was all he ate. I told you he is no fun to eat with.
DH told me I was not allowed to take pictures of his food on this trip. He thinks it's a little weird. So I usually took them when he wasn't paying attention or was in the middle of eating his food.
"Did you just take a picture of me eating my food?" Um, no.

IMG_0444.jpg

My 2nd plate
More goat cheese scrambled eggs
Strawberries and pineapple- so perfect, as perfect as they could get
grapes for DD which I ended up eating- very good

Final thoughts: Everything was very good and we would return. It was very quiet and it was nice having a buffet that didn't have characters. I don't know if I would make the trip again though. I would most likely save this one for if we were staying at AKL or maybe on the way to Animal Kingdom if unable to book Tuskerhouse.

After leaving AKL we headed to Islands of Adventure. We stopped at a fast food place in the Superhero section. It was located right under a giant Captain America.
IMG_0469.jpg

This was the worst food of the trip. DH had a burger and said it was alright, not very good.
DD and I each got chicken fingers and fries. The fries were edible but not great. The chicken fingers were awful. There were pieces that were only breading with no chicken in them, and thick pieces with fatty, stringy chicken. DH chose this place since DD loves superheroes and I figured no one can mess up burgers and chicken fingers. I stand corrected. Will never return here.

Followed you over from your TR. We could definately eat together. I feel the same about veggies and am definately not a foodie. Would love a meal of just noodles from O'hana too...mmmm.

Followed you over from your TR. We could definately eat together. I feel the same about veggies and am definately not a foodie. Would love a meal of just noodles from O'hana too...mmmm.

Yum. Those noodles were sooooo good. I kept telling myself not to fill up on noodles but somehow they kept finding their way onto my plate.

Dinner tonight was at the Grand Floridian Cafe. I wanted to check out the GF but DD said no to Park Fare. (No mean characters) There was no way I would go to a signature restaurant with DH. He would complain the whole time about how he doesn't like fancy food.. blah blah blah

So, we were left with GFC. I remember reading Katmark's comments about how her hubby won't set foot in GF. Well, add my DH to that list. He hated it the second we stepped in there. His bad mood had a major influence on this dinner.

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

I loved the rolls at all the dinners we had. I loved the salt on top of the butter. Too cute.

IMG_0504.jpg

I got the onion soup and although he had never had onion soup DH ordered it as well which surprised me.
It wasn't the best I've ever had but pretty good

IMG_0505.jpg

I had the New York Strip with mashed potatoes and seasonal veggies. I remember ready a review about how someone got a NY strip and their hubby got the ribeye, and how they wished they had gotten the ribeye. I couldn't remember at the time if it was GFC so I got my normal fav the strip.
It was okay, but not as good as Le Cellier. There was a bunch of fat running through it. The mashed potatoes were fantastic. I tried a carrot and it was a carrot. Don't know about the green things, you'll have to ask someone who eats them.

While DH was eating the onion soup he got in a very bad mood. DD was acting up and I didn't know it at the time but he told me later he felt like his throat was closing up (he has some food allergies).
For his meal he ordered a regular burger and french fries. The waitress tried to talk him into the GF burger but he is allergic to shellfish and doesn't eat asparagus so that was a no go. The burger looked good but I didn't try it b/c it had mayo on it which I can't stand.
The fries were so good. I wish I had gotten the ribeye with the fries.

DD got some type of beefy macaroni which once again she did not like. She had DH's fries instead.

Service here was awful. We waited forever for drink refills, then for the check. A waitress had a rather large party and said they needed 8 different bills. That really doesn't excuse it though. We skipped dessert b/c we were all pretty miserable.

I would try it again since it does get good reviews. Could have been an off night. DH will never return and would be happy to never sent foot in GF again:confused3

So, we were left with GFC. I remember reading Katmark's comments about how her hubby won't set foot in GF. Well, add my DH to that list. He hated it the second we stepped in there. His bad mood had a major influence on this dinner.

[I would try it again since it does get good reviews. Could have been an off night. DH will never return and would be happy to never sent foot in GF again:confused3

I am LOVING your dining reviews (I'll have to go check out your trip report as well). You have a very good memory about my darling, Mark. And we didn't even eat at the GF--we just walked in the door and roamed around. ;) Haven't been back since that day.

Looking forward to the rest of your dining reviews. :)

P.S. Your daughter is precious.

I am LOVING your dining reviews (I'll have to go check out your trip report as well). You have a very good memory about my darling, Mark. And we didn't even eat at the GF--we just walked in the door and roamed around. ;) Haven't been back since that day.

Looking forward to the rest of your dining reviews. :)

P.S. Your daughter is precious.

:welcome:
I remember reading your comments about GF and I think it stuck with me b/c I knew DH would be the same way. We did have to return later in the week b/c DD had her pirate adventure out of the GF and DH barely complained. He did tell me he would never stay there under any circumstances. I still want to try Park Fare but I guess that is out of the question.

:welcome:
I remember reading your comments about GF and I think it stuck with me b/c I knew DH would be the same way. We did have to return later in the week b/c DD had her pirate adventure out of the GF and DH barely complained. He did tell me he would never stay there under any circumstances. I still want to try Park Fare but I guess that is out of the question.

Here's an idea. On the next trip, book Park Fare for you and DD and let hubby go to the ESPN Club for his meal and to watch sports. This ought to please him (if he's anything like my DH...although we don't have daughters so we never had to do the princess meals).

ahh I think I could eat with you :) i'm a random mix of you with your "green things" and your husband with his allergies and throat closing up, lol. somewhere on day 2 or 3 of my trip I must have got mixed up with an almond somewhere and I was down-right mean for 2 days. thats my fault for not looking too closely or telling them i'm allergic, but it does make you miserable. i have the same "feeling" on the GF after a rather stuffy experience at Narcoossee's. we are however doing the GF Cafe for lunch in November and hoping we have a better experience than you!!! we are on our quest to try everything--and I buy from basin white so we need to go over there anyway.

loving your reviews so far!!!

Here's an idea. On the next trip, book Park Fare for you and DD and let hubby go to the ESPN Club for his meal and to watch sports. This ought to please him (if he's anything like my DH...although we don't have daughters so we never had to do the princess meals).

I'm kind of hoping for a girls only trip one day since DH doesn't want to go back as much as I do. If that happens I'll try to squeeze it it there. Or I could just have Caitlin ask to go, who could say no to that face?

ahh I think I could eat with you :) i'm a random mix of you with your "green things" and your husband with his allergies and throat closing up, lol. somewhere on day 2 or 3 of my trip I must have got mixed up with an almond somewhere and I was down-right mean for 2 days. thats my fault for not looking too closely or telling them i'm allergic, but it does make you miserable. i have the same "feeling" on the GF after a rather stuffy experience at Narcoossee's. we are however doing the GF Cafe for lunch in November and hoping we have a better experience than you!!! we are on our quest to try everything--and I buy from basin white so we need to go over there anyway.

loving your reviews so far!!!

I hope your lunch is better than our dinner. I am sure DH's bad mood and DD inability to sit still made it much worse than it would have normally been. I have seen some great reviews and wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

Here are two snack credits:
IMG_0407.jpg

I got these apples for DD to snack on and I don't think she ever ate them. She asked me why I didn't get grapes? Oops.

IMG_0406.jpg

Magie Cookie Bar from POR. I really wanted to try this b/c my Mom makes a version every X-mas and I wanted to see how they compared. It was good but no better than the kind you make yourself with the Eagle brand kit they sell now. Just bigger, much bigger

Day 4 May 25
It was a sleep in day for DH and DD so I headed over to the French Quarter to try the famous Beignets
My original plan was to grab my coffee and eat the beignets in the food court and bring the rest back to POR. Everything was way too hot so I packed everything up and headed to POR. I didn't manage to get any pictures b/c I was busy trying to figure out how to balance everything I got and carry back.

DH enjoyed his platter and DD enjoyed her grapes. We weren't big fans of the Mickey waffles. I have heard the bigger ones are better and will try those next trip. The beignets were okay. I wouldn't make a special trip for them though. Very hard to eat and a little to greasy for me.

I picked up a Mickey waffle and grapes for DD and a breakfast platter for DH

We had lunch here:
IMG_0551-1.jpg

It was way too dark in there to get any good pictures please we had hitchhikers in the back and I didn't want to use the flash with them so close.

DH had onion rings which were the best of the trip.
I chose the Spinach and Artichoke Dip and our Seven-Bean Chili with Corn Tortilla Chips. I had a huge craving for nachos the whole trip and was hoping this would help. It didn't but a good choice anyway. I loved the Spinach dip and the Chili was okay. I don't like beans and picked around them a little but it was too dark to really see them and I didn't each much. I also stole many onion rings and needed to save room for lunch.

DH and I both ordered a milkshake as our dessert. I ordered the oreo milkshake to come out with the food and DH waited. He originally ordered vanilla but once he tasted mine he changed his mind. The shakes were fantastic. The best of the whole trip. DD got most of DH's and she loved it.

I can't remember what DD had as her meal. Burger and fries maybe? I know she had a lot of milkshake and fries.

For our main course DH and I both got the burger and fries. Very good! The burger is huge and I would either skip the appetizers next time or just split a burger with DH.

We loved Sci-fi. The food and service was good and the movies kept DD entertained. We will be back for sure next trip.

Dinner was at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic package.
This place was packed!

For my drink I had a blue glowtini
IMG_0567-1.jpg

I had really wanted the Sangria but didn't notice that there were drinks on the Mama Melrose menu as well as the drink menu and missed out:sad2:
I picked this b/c I wanted the glow cube
I was a little strong for me and I wouldn't pick it again, glow cube or not

They gave a basket of nice warm rolls. They were so good. I think I ate most of them.

For our appetizer DH and I chose the caesar salad. I am not a big salad person, I don't really like lettuce but I have never had a caesar salad so I gave it a shot. I really enjoyed it and ate most of it. I wish there were regular size croutons b/c it was tough to eat the crostini things. DH thought the dressing was too salty but don’t think he mixed his up much to spread the dressing.
IMG_0568.jpg

DD had spaghetti and tomato sauce. I am so glad they had this instead of that beefy macaroni they serve other places. She loved it.
IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

DH and I both had the chicken parm
IMG_0570.jpg

You can see half a dinner roll on there. I :love: the dinner rolls here (They were the same at CRT too)
The chicken was good. I wish they had better sauce though. It was like everyone has said, very tomato pastey like. I scarfed the whole dinner down pretty quick. DH ate most of his and enjoyed it. It is not the best ever but I would order it again.

I thought I took a picture of the menu but I can't seem to find it. The dessert options were a little different than those on all ears. I know they had the tiramsu gelato on espresso I have seen mentioned on some reviews.
DH chose the choc. armaretti(sp?) cheesecake (DH got a dessert!:scared1: I couldn't believe it) This was going to be my choice but once DH ordered it I wanted to try something else
IMG_0576.jpg

I tried a little and it was very tasty but I was glad I changed my mind and ordered the choc. cannoli cake
IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Very, very good. I could have used a little more filling inside but it was probably my 2nd favorite dessert after Ohana's bread pudding.

We really enjoyed Mama Melrose. The waitress was a little slower getting drink refills, but not as bad as GFC. The place was packed so it was understandable. We will most like return to both Sci-fi and Mama Melrose whenever we hit DHS.

Sometime in the day we took a midday break and on the way out I grabbed a choc. peanutbutter cupcake from Starring Rolls. I didn't take a photo b/c I had it to go and it just didn't look as pretty. I tried it the next day and it was great. It was huge and no one wanted to share so I pretty much ate the middle part with the peanut butter filling and skipped the rest. Next time I will try to eat at at the park so it is nice and fresh.

We are having a late lunch at SCi-fi after MNSSHP night in October..........think appetizer and dessert only may be enough for me with a milkshake.

Wish my DD ate italian food as MM looks lovely.

So glad you enjoyed Sci Fi and Mama Melrose. We love both places. They both take a lot of "hits" for being bad food or bad service, but we've never had either the numerous times we went. We aren't dining at the Studios this trip because we want to try Beaches & Cream which we've never done, but we'll be back to both Sci Fi and MM on our next trip.

We are having a late lunch at SCi-fi after MNSSHP night in October..........think appetizer and dessert only may be enough for me with a milkshake.

Wish my DD ate italian food as MM looks lovely.
I would love to have a meal of just onion rings and milkshakes. The milkshakes alone would be worth a trip for me.

So glad you enjoyed Sci Fi and Mama Melrose. We love both places. They both take a lot of "hits" for being bad food or bad service, but we've never had either the numerous times we went. We aren't dining at the Studios this trip because we want to try Beaches & Cream which we've never done, but we'll be back to both Sci Fi and MM on our next trip.

I love reading dining reviews but it is tough to book something when you see bad reviews. I am glad I decided to try some places others didn't like. Everyone has different opinions but we loved both.
Beaches and Cream is one my list of places I want to try too.

I love reading dining reviews but it is tough to book something when you see bad reviews. I am glad I decided to try some places others didn't like. Everyone has different opinions but we loved both.
Beaches and Cream is one my list of places I want to try too.

Yes, it is. But truthfully you can try a place that people rave about and you end up not liking. We love LeCellier as do a lot of other people, but there are those who don't care for it at all. We went to Whispering Canyon and Brown Derby which gets great reviews. We hated Whispering Canyon and won't go back; Brown Derby was unimpressive and I doubt we'll go back there.

Like you said, everyone has different opinions (and tastes, expectations, etc.)., just like with resorts and not everything is for everyone.

Thanks for sharing your dining experiences - I'm loving your review!

I have to say that I REALLY want one of those choc. peanut butter cupcakes but so many people are disappointed in them... They just sound so yummy!

I want that chocolate cannoli cake as well!! Confirms me decision to add MM to our list for next April!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter