The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 5 day reservation at the Dolphin for President's Day weekend in February. I think it is a great location but am getting more and more concerned about the reviews that people are posting describing room service trays in the halls for days, basically no housekeeping, spider webs, clogged showers, spiderwebs, roaches and rundown furnishings.

We haven't been to WDW since 2009 and I really want this to be a "nice" trip. I'm not expecting the Ritz but I do want a clean, well maintained, comfortable room (I really do need a comfy bed... :-)) Please tell me that is what I'll get at the Dolphin.. or do I need to look elsewhere?? I will have children with me and I don't want to risk their vacation on a disappointing hotel.

I currently have a 5 day reservation at the Dolphin for President's Day weekend in February. I think it is a great location but am getting more and more concerned about the reviews that people are posting describing room service trays in the halls for days, basically no housekeeping, spider webs, clogged showers, spiderwebs, roaches and rundown furnishings.

We haven't been to WDW since 2009 and I really want this to be a "nice" trip. I'm not expecting the Ritz but I do want a clean, well maintained, comfortable room (I really do need a comfy bed... :-)) Please tell me that is what I'll get at the Dolphin.. or do I need to look elsewhere?? I will have children with me and I don't want to risk their vacation on a disappointing hotel.

We stayed at the Swan in June 2012, and the Dolphin in May 2013. I did not experience any of the things that you mention. I will say the room at the Dolphin had a musty smell, so we opened the door most days.
As far as risking your kids vacation on a disappointing hotel...most kids (definitely mine) are pretty low maintenance when it comes to the hotel. For my kids, if the hotel had a good pool, their vacation was made! So, a good pool and theme parks...I truly can't imagine that you are putting your kids' vacation at risk.

I generally stay at the S/D (Swan usually) twice a year, most recently with my daughter and two young grandsons in April.

I have seen a tray in the hall in the past, though never for a long period, only until the folks who take care of those come by, or are called by the party who did the eating. Dining does request a call when finished eating, to pick up the trays, etc, though some people obviously do not read the note on the dining cart and put the tray in the hall. I have seen similar in every hotel that has room service that I have stayed at in my life.

I have always thought housekeeping to be excellent, responding to any and all additional requests I might have. I have not seen spider webs, nor spiderwebs, have not experienced clogged showers, have not seen roaches nor rundown furnishings.

If I would experience something, I would bring it to the attention of the proper department, or if need be, the resort manager. Never have had to do that yet, and will be back in December.

I wanted to add that I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to stay at either the Swan or Dolphin again. In fact, they have moved up to the top of my list when looking into WDW resorts since the Epcot area is my favorite place to stay. They are so much more reasonably priced than BC/YC or BW (although I also love them as well).

We have stayed at the Dolphin our past six visits to Disney World. We have never had a housekeeping problem. If I want to be certain the room is ready for a return to get ready for dinner, I call as we leave the room in the morning and ask that the room be cleaned early. They have always come through!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hi, BCVNovember. I stayed at the Disney Swan Resort, the sister resort for the Disney Dolphin Resort, for my first time last December 2012 for over a week, and I liked it so much, I am staying for two weeks the December, 2013.

From the time that I drove up to unload my luggage, I was greeted by a friendly faces and helpful staff.

I was so impressed, I ask the valet what is name was again, so that I could write a compliment card for him. Juan even offered to help me put together my mobility scooter, but even though I said no;...I can can be independent or stubborn sometime;...he was right their helping me and I really appreciated his help after a long drive. Juan was so friendly and seemed to care and pay so much attention instead of doing just the minimum and walk away. He even walked my luggage inside to checkin.

The Disney Swan Resort is so beautiful inside, especially with all of the Christmas decorations.

As I headed to the checkin line, I saw three other Swan staff walk out to help checkin folks and the checkin was very short and quick for me.

I met Rose, who helped check me in and I was also impressed with the friendliness and knowledge and helpfulness of Rose, too.

Rose quickly checked me in and said my room was ready and had my luggage sent up. She also called after arriving at my room to see if I needed anything.

The room was beautiful and the Disney Swan bed was so very comfy.

To answer your specific question, BCVNovember, I might have seen a tray once or twice. But as Dan said, I saw them when I left for the parks, but were gone when I came back.

I always called if I used room service and they always came up right away to pick up my tray.

Speaking of call from your room, I had the most pleasant, fastest response when calling for any reason. I don't think that they use the same service as the Disney Resort nor the Disney DVC Resort. I was talking to someone always at the resort and not from a calling center. At least that is the impression that I got. The best customer service that I have ever received anywhere.

I wrote so many complement cards.

The housekeeping was also excellent. My room was immaculate. No spiders or bugs. No spider webs. No dust. And after coming back to my room after a day at the parks, my room was spotless again with fresh coffee, cups, condinments restocked.

When ever I called for anything like extra coffee or help with WIFI or any request or service, the Disney Swan Resort staff quickly came up to my door with help. I was very impressed.

Also I am a late riser in the morning and my favorite breakfast place was the Disney Swan Resort Garden Grove with wonderful staff and food and service.

I loved the large tree in the center of the Garden Grove restaurant. Olivia was the first person to seat me and chose a wonderful spot where I could drive my mobility scooter up the the ramp and park out of the way from every one else and yet be right by my seat.

I think that I am lucky to dine late for breakfast because most of the families have already gone to the parks.

Olivia at the Disney Swan Resort Garden Grove, always remembered me and asked if I wanted to sit in my favorite place.

My servers, Eliza or Kurt were always very attentive and kind every single time, regardless of how busy they might have been. Just wonderful service and food choices.

The breakfast buffet has so much to offer. The chefs, Edgardo or Brad made perfect omelletes everytime and offered different suggestions that I might like.

I hope that your family has as wonderful time as I did.

Ray :)

Thank you for all the quick reassuring responses (although the "musty" comment does give me a little pause). I really want it to a great vacation!

Thank you for all the quick reassuring responses (although the "musty" comment does give me a little pause). I really want it to a great vacation!

Hi, BCVNovember. Speaking for my own experience, I did not have any musty smells on my visit last year.

As Dan said, if you have any issues, I would just call customer service to resolve any issues.

I hope that you have a wonderful time.

There had recently been a lot of rain. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. It didn't bother us enough that we even brought it to anyone's attention. I'm sure it would have been addressed if we had. We were lucky enough to get a wonderful upgrade to a balcony room after paying for a standard room. We just opened the door to the balcony, which took care of it. I don't think there is a hotel in the world that people will not complain about...no matter how nice. As you can see, a number of people quickly defended the Swan/Dolphin, but if you don't feel comfortable with it...book something else. You won't get the Epcot location at a comparable price though.

Just had to comment.

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Dolphin. This was our first time at the Dolphin and the Epcot area resorts. LOVED IT! Booked via Travelocity deal last minute for $129/night. We were upgraded to resort view with balcony after originally booking a standard view (join SPG); incredible deal even after adding resort and self parking fee. Room was great and beds SO comfortable and location FANTASTIC! Yes there was a slight musty smell in one of the hallways near the pool entrance/ laundry, but not in our room. Wifi was good and was able to do work no problem. Room was clean, furnishings good, typical Graves style. Bathroom could use an update but was clean. I really enjoyed the palm trees around the property-- felt like Miami. Pool, playground, surrounding area was wonderful. Kids 7&3 did not miss AKL, which we had just stayed at earlier in the week. Ate at Picabu and must say food was fine but service slow, though very friendly. The only thing we missed was Mickey waffles, but we drove over to CBR for them at the food court. We did not try the bus service but took the boat to Epcot and DHS, which was fun. Boardwalk was pretty at night and we saw Illuminations each night from the lake area if not on the park. We would not hesitate to stay there again, and DH prefers this hotel to the WDW resorts we have stayed at (poly, WL, AKL, CBR, Pop).

Just had to comment.

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Dolphin. This was our first time at the Dolphin and the Epcot area resorts. LOVED IT! Booked via Travelocity deal last minute for $129/night. We were upgraded to resort view with balcony after originally booking a standard view (join SPG); incredible deal even after adding resort and self parking fee. Room was great and beds SO comfortable and location FANTASTIC! Yes there was a slight musty smell in one of the hallways near the pool entrance/ laundry, but not in our room. Wifi was good and was able to do work no problem. Room was clean, furnishings good, typical Graves style. Bathroom could use an update but was clean. I really enjoyed the palm trees around the property-- felt like Miami. Pool, playground, surrounding area was wonderful. Kids 7&3 did not miss AKL, which we had just stayed at earlier in the week. Ate at Picabu and must say food was fine but service slow, though very friendly. The only thing we missed was Mickey waffles, but we drove over to CBR for them at the food court. We did not try the bus service but took the boat to Epcot and DHS, which was fun. Boardwalk was pretty at night and we saw Illuminations each night from the lake area if not on the park. We would not hesitate to stay there again, and DH prefers this hotel to the WDW resorts we have stayed at (poly, WL, AKL, CBR, Pop).

I'm pretty sure Mickey waffles are available at FRESH Mediterranean at the Dolphin. I know for sure they will make you Mickey pancakes! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm very excited to see all the wonderful reviews!! My only past experience staying at Swan/Dolphin was 11 years ago for a convention (just myself). I stayed at the Dolphin...loved the view I had of the lake and the bed was soooooo comfy! Loved the location, wanted to return to the Epcot resorts area and many years later our family stayed at BC then YC (also love those resorts).

My hubby and I are staying at the Swan in October (going to F&W festival for first time). We are looking forward to our stay!!

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We stayed at the Dolphin for the 1st time last October and are returning this October because we had such a great experience. The room was a bit cramp but clean and the beds were absolutely wonderful.

We're DVC members but do not own in the Epcot area which is our preferred choice for the Food and Wine event at Epcot. We looked into doing a cash stay at one of the Disney motels but the Dolphin was so much less $$ that we decided to take and chance. We were very happy - obviously

Thanks Singing Mom and Patty for the info on Mickey waffles! Great to know for future visits! Plus we are AAA members so 20% discount on food hopefully applies there too (not sure but Picabu gave us this discount) :)

Thanks Singing Mom and Patty for the info on Mickey waffles! Great to know for future visits! Plus we are AAA members so 20% discount on food hopefully applies there too (not sure but Picabu gave us this discount) :)

Yes - 20% AAA discount at Fresh!

My family LOVES Fresh! :thumbsup2

Yes - 20% AAA discount at Fresh!

My family LOVES Fresh! :thumbsup2

Only thing is breakfast can be a little slow. ;-). Not a place if you are in a hurry to get to a park early. But SO tasty we always save one lazy morning for FRESH. The homemade jams are fabulous!

I've booked a Dolphin room with points (thanks Starwood AmEx!). Can I upgrade that room with more points - either in advance or at check in? Or can I pay for an upgrade at check in and how much would that be? I would love a balcony with EPCOT view! Thanks!

I've booked a Dolphin room with points (thanks Starwood AmEx!). Can I upgrade that room with more points - either in advance or at check in? Or can I pay for an upgrade at check in and how much would that be? I would love a balcony with EPCOT view! Thanks!

Probably yes to all of the above but I would wait until you checkin to see what room you get first. I booked a standard and was upgraded for free to a deluxe alcove just last week. Didn't even have to ask :)

Probably yes to all of the above but I would wait until you checkin to see what room you get first. I booked a standard and was upgraded for free to a deluxe alcove just last week. Didn't even have to ask :)

Same, in May. Booked a standard room at the Dolphin, and was upgraded to a balcony room. What a wonderful surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!