The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you actually stay in this suite?

Is the couch in the living room a pull out sleeper sofa or a daybed (says daybed, but looks more like a pull out couch in pics I've seen)?

How is it being in Tonga building? Is it connected to the GCH (i.e. can you get in there without going outside?)

Is it quiet (I worry about noise from the marina and people walking by on the boardwalk in front of the building, since it faces right onto that).

Is it a pain to go to the Hawaii building to use the concierge lounge there?

Thanks for your input! We only need to sleep 5, and like I said, my MIL may join is but we are staying 8 nights and she will most likely only be able to come 3-4 nights, so it seems like a waste to have 2 connecting rooms that can potentially sleep 10 if we only need to sleep 4-5 max. There are 4 in our immediate family.

I haven't stayed in that room, but let's just say I see it pretty often ;)

The Tonga building is very quiet. It only has 6 suites in it, and that is all. The sliding doors are soundproofed, and even then the people walking by aren't loud at all. It has a small lounge on the 2nd floor with pastries and cereal for breakfast, and chips and other snacks in the afternoon.

I'm pretty sure the couch is a sleeper sofa, not one of the daybeds like in the standard rooms. I'll check on it later for you :thumbsup2

The Tonga building is not connected to the GCH, however the walkway between the 2 is covered so there is no fear of getting wet when it is raining. It's also a fairly short walk to Hawaii, so going over for the evening service is easy. It takes about 3 minutes or so.

Funny story here.....:goodvibes

Dh and I have been talking about going back to WDW in 2009 but we are only doing a 4 night trip and we were trying to decide which resort :confused3

I want either Poly or Contemp. Dh and I were trying to figure it out when my DDs turn on the Disney Channel and "Lilo and Stich" :stitch2: (the movie) was on. I forgot how much I enjoyed that movie and we both agreed then and there it was most assuredly(sp?) the Poly!! I know we aren't going until next year, but I am still excited NOW!!:cool1:

Happy planning, Clarabug!:cool1:

What a super thread! Our first family trip to WDW with our 2 DDs was in 1988 with a stay at the Poly on the old Gold Key Plan. We have been to WDW more than 50 times since then with occasional stays here. My DH looked at me yesterday and said, "I am homesick for the Poly" so I am booking a trip for the 2 of us for September/October! It is nice to have all the updated info right here. Thanks, Terry!

I do have a question about the CL lounge offerings. Is there beer offered in the evenings along with the wines and cordials? Thanks in advance!

Hi All!

We've just decided to stay at the Poly for 3 nights in August with 2 young kids (5 and 2). Our 2 year old is delayed and not walking yet.

What longhouse would be best for us to request? I was hoping that the ground floors would have direct access out to pools etc.

From the map of the resort, Samoa seems central to both pools and the boat launch.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hainer Family
Ontario

Well I think she would do something like that now, a few years later, as she gets less and less embarassed as a side-effect of being married to me. I don't get embarassed, I mean if I can wear this viking helmet and attempt to take over the boat that goes from Future World to the World Showcase along with my dad who had the same helmet on, well I just don't know the meaning of the word. :laughing: We got on the boat and the driver and his copilot played along telling all the other guests that we were taking over and announcing over the boat's loud speaker that we came to "pillage and plunder" as we docked. Hehe....we tried to do our best viking impressions, but mine came off sounding more like the Swedish Chef from the muppets. :lmao:
viking.jpg

LOL! :lmao: That must have been hysterical! People must have thought you were part of some sort of show! I love it!

Hi All!

We've just decided to stay at the Poly for 3 nights in August with 2 young kids (5 and 2). Our 2 year old is delayed and not walking yet.

What longhouse would be best for us to request? I was hoping that the ground floors would have direct access out to pools etc.

From the map of the resort, Samoa seems central to both pools and the boat launch.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hainer Family
Ontario

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most two years old are in strollers at WDW due to the distances between things. Even though the Polynesian isn't as big as the values and moderates, it's big enough that most 2 yos probably aren't walking around it much. I know mine weren't and two of mine were delayed. Samoa is a small longhouse and while convenient, your chance of getting that request probably aren't as good as if you request a larger longhouse. I think they all have advantages actually.

The first floor rooms are convenient but you can't lock the door behind you so someone needs to stay behind and lock the sliding door and exit the through the hall.

Happy planning!

What a super thread! Our first family trip to WDW with our 2 DDs was in 1988 with a stay at the Poly on the old Gold Key Plan. We have been to WDW more than 50 times since then with occasional stays here. My DH looked at me yesterday and said, "I am homesick for the Poly" so I am booking a trip for the 2 of us for September/October! It is nice to have all the updated info right here. Thanks, Terry!

I do have a question about the CL lounge offerings. Is there beer offered in the evenings along with the wines and cordials? Thanks in advance!

Our first stay was in 83 on the Gold Key plan. Wasn't it fun?

As I recall, beer is not out during dessert but people have posted that you can request one. We actually stock our room ourselves even in concierge!

I haven't stayed in that room, but let's just say I see it pretty often ;)

The Tonga building is very quiet. It only has 6 suites in it, and that is all. The sliding doors are soundproofed, and even then the people walking by aren't loud at all. It has a small lounge on the 2nd floor with pastries and cereal for breakfast, and chips and other snacks in the afternoon.

I'm pretty sure the couch is a sleeper sofa, not one of the daybeds like in the standard rooms. I'll check on it later for you :thumbsup2

The Tonga building is not connected to the GCH, however the walkway between the 2 is covered so there is no fear of getting wet when it is raining. It's also a fairly short walk to Hawaii, so going over for the evening service is easy. It takes about 3 minutes or so.

Thank you SO much for this info! If you could confirm the "daybed" vs. "sleeper sofa", that would be fabulous! I haven't yet paid my deposit on my 2 connecting rooms, and if that bed is a sleeper sofa, that will pretty much seal the deal on the 1br Princess suite (assuming it's available, but hopefully it is since we're still 14 months out...). If it was a sleeper sofa, I'd not feel so guilty making MIL sleep on it. ;) I'd feel guilty if it was a daybed, and DH will NOT be cool with sleeping in the same room as his mother (i.e. the other queen bed). He likes to sleep with a bit less than a pair of shorts on, if you get my drift. :eek:

Just wanted to chime in on the Polynesian thread. This is my favorite resort!

We are returning June 21st with my parents and sister and her family in a garden view and then moving over to concierge on the 27th when they head home and we stay with DH's brother and family! Whew! Dh's brother hasn't been to Disney in 20 years and this is our 2 nephews first trip! They are 15 and almost 13. My boys don't know that they are joining us. If you are at the Poly June 27th and you hear squeals of joy, that'll be my kids. :)

This is likely to be our last Disney trip for a bit as we are living in Singapore for a few years. I'm hoping to make it a memorable trip. That's why we chose our favorite resort. :)

Yes, beer is available when they serve the evening cordials. It is usually placed in a bucket of ice near the cordials. There have been nights however when I noticed the beer was not out. Not sure why that was. Either way, beer is available at any time the lounge is open. Actually I haven't tried during breakfast yet! As long as there is an attendant on duty you can request up to 2 beers at a time. I will regularly request a beer (or two!) and place them in the room fridge for later! Gotta take advantage of the perks!

Tinks, hi! Haven't seen you around the boards for some time. It sounds like a great trip and wonderful surprise. Happy planning and good luck in Singapore.

LOL! :lmao: That must have been hysterical! People must have thought you were part of some sort of show! I love it!

;) :lmao:

Quick question.....
How is the food court at the Poly? We might be eating here more than we originally planned. Thanks to our septic system going kaboom, we now have to fork out $3000 to fix it, so we are getting rid of the DxDDP and plan to eat more counter service and snacks. By all means we're still going to have quite a few sit-down meals, but saving a few $$ here and there will be nice.

Does anyone know if the Volcano pool has reopened? The rehab has it closed until the 15th, but a CM told me this morning he thought it was open because it's not popping up as a rehab on his screen anymore.

Hi there, just wanted to say we stayed in the Poly last month and it was WONDERFUL! I'm not sure if we'll ever stay anywhere else at WDW.

We were in the Tokelau building, had a room on the second floor facing the quiet pool. Great location, close to everything. We could even see fireworks from our balcony!

A PP asked about the food at the food court. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. Much better than the food at the food court at Port Orleans. IMHO. The BBQ chicken pizza was really good, although not offered every day.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with what a great time we had at the Poly!

Funny story here.....:goodvibes

Dh and I have been talking about going back to WDW in 2009 but we are only doing a 4 night trip and we were trying to decide which resort :confused3

I want either Poly or Contemp. Dh and I were trying to figure it out when my DDs turn on the Disney Channel and "Lilo and Stich" :stitch2: (the movie) was on. I forgot how much I enjoyed that movie and we both agreed then and there it was most assuredly(sp?) the Poly!! I know we aren't going until next year, but I am still excited NOW!!:cool1:

We watched it when it was on, as well, and I was so happy to see my girls get so excited about meeting Lilo & Stitch, since she never really liked that movie all that well. Secretly, of course, because they don't know we're staying at the Poly...yet!:)

Thanks for posting! I can't believe all the information compiled here, it's making me wish I could stay at the poly. :lovestruc

Hi there, just wanted to say we stayed in the Poly last month and it was WONDERFUL! I'm not sure if we'll ever stay anywhere else at WDW.

We were in the Tokelau building, had a room on the second floor facing the quiet pool. Great location, close to everything. We could even see fireworks from our balcony!

A PP asked about the food at the food court. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. Much better than the food at the food court at Port Orleans. IMHO. The BBQ chicken pizza was really good, although not offered every day.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with what a great time we had at the Poly!

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup2

We put in a request to stay in Tokelau as well, so it's great to hear that you liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter