The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,

We are going to the Poly in Dec and right now we are in a gv room and I keep thinking about upgrading to the CL. Is this something that you can do with a phone call? Or make a new reservation? I tried to go online and it says there are no rooms avail for CL the time we are going. DO they give certain rooms for CL? Is it possible that they are really sold out? Maybe I should just give them a call......???? Any thoughts on the upgrading thing in general or what to do about it? (btw, we are on the ddp w/park hopper tickets, maybe with the ddp, CL isnt worth it?) Or here is a thought, is CL worth more than the DDP? and we should ditch the DDP and use CL. But then there is the thing about not spending that much time at the resort, and spending alot of time in the parks.....Oh my!!! SO much to think about!

I seen something in your post that I have questioned myself. If you are staying CL is the dining plan worth it? I booked my trip withou and was considering the new Quick Service Plan they have available next year. Really only my younger son is the only one in the family that eats alot (he is 6 feet 5 inches tall) and the other 3 of us can survive without much. I priced out some counter service meals and thought I would come out ahead paying out of pocket. Any thoughts?

My camera battery died on me so I apologize for the photo quality. SeaSpray, if you want to link to this post or want me to consolidate these photos into my other post, let me know. :goodvibes

P8270192.jpg

Breakfast menu. I noticed the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks tasted 'lighter' than that at Kona. Still very good!

P8270197.jpg

Soda dispenser #1. This one has Minute Maid Apple Juice and Hi-C Fruit Punch.

P8270198.jpg

Soda dispenser #2. This one has Barq's root beer, Vault energy drink and Coke Zero!

P8270199.jpg

Dole Whip machine! The CMs told me that I won the 'Dairy Queen' award for how much dole whip I managed to get into the little cup. LOL!

P8270200.jpg

Bakery case. So many yummy options! And yes, they do count as a snack or as a dessert option on the DDP.

Just a few more things. There are two dispensers for NesCrapFe (uh, Nescafe coffee), iced tea and coffee creamer. There are take out bags, plastic covers for the kids Mickey plates and adult platters available. There is also a toaster oven and a microwave available. Both times that we dined at Captain Cooks there was someone there constantly cleaning. :thumbsup2

I seen something in your post that I have questioned myself. If you are staying CL is the dining plan worth it? I booked my trip withou and was considering the new Quick Service Plan they have available next year. Really only my younger son is the only one in the family that eats alot (he is 6 feet 5 inches tall) and the other 3 of us can survive without much. I priced out some counter service meals and thought I would come out ahead paying out of pocket. Any thoughts?

We originally booked LV with the DDP. Thinking about breakfasts and snacks, my kids have to be eating constantly, I upgraded to CL. Not sure if that will end up being too much food or not but I can let you know soon ..... we leave in 3 days !!! :yay:
Sorry, I know that's not much help to answer your question but I'm basically going through the same scenario and will find out soon how it turns out.

We originally booked LV with the DDP. Thinking about breakfasts and snacks, my kids have to be eating constantly, I upgraded to CL. Not sure if that will end up being too much food or not but I can let you know soon ..... we leave in 3 days !!! :yay:
Sorry, I know that's not much help to answer your question but I'm basically going through the same scenario and will find out soon how it turns out.

Thanks, I can't wait to hear your answers!!:banana:

You're right, MSB. No milk or oj with the mugs. Last I noticed, apple juice was a choice though.

Have fun and enjoy Captain Cook's tomorrow....lucky duck!:goodvibes

Thanks BCV. We had a great time! I will say, Captain Cooks was packed to the gills for breakfast. :scared1: We wound up eating at a table outside but that was okay. Had to keep away the ducks, birds and cranes who thought we would feed them. LOL!

I just got back from the Poly and I have to say that these Polynesian chips are horrible. Stale and inedible IMHO. Everything else was fine!

Different strokes for different folks because I absolutely love the Polynesian chips. I think there are some that are fried sweet potatoes and they're yummy! :goodvibes

Just a few more things. There are two dispensers for NesCrapFe (uh, Nescafe coffee), iced tea and coffee creamer. There are take out bags, plastic covers for the kids Mickey plates and adult platters available. There is also a toaster oven and a microwave available. Both times that we dined at Captain Cooks there was someone there constantly cleaning. :thumbsup2

MSB, thank you so much for all the great photos and info! So helpful. :goodvibes

Sweet Mother Above !!- so you mean that I can order lunch at Cptn cooks and get one of the scrumptious looking cupcakes or brownie for dessert! OHHH hold me back!

Thanks, MsStinkerBelle, for all the Cptn cook photos! I notice there is only 1 Dt Coke dispenser. I sure hope they keep it fresh and filled cuz I LOVE my Diet Coke morning, noon and night! hehe

MSB, thank you so much for all the great photos and info! So helpful. :goodvibes

You're very welcome! Definitely glad to help. :thumbsup2

Sweet Mother Above !!- so you mean that I can order lunch at Cptn cooks and get one of the scrumptious looking cupcakes or brownie for dessert! OHHH hold me back!

Yes, you definitely can--at least for adult meals! LOL!!! I usually rotate between having a brownie, a dole whip and then a cupcake as dessert selections. :thumbsup2

Thanks, MsStinkerBelle, for all the Cptn cook photos! I notice there is only 1 Dt Coke dispenser. I sure hope they keep it fresh and filled cuz I LOVE my Diet Coke morning, noon and night! hehe

You're very welcome! I'm also a Diet Coke addict and I haven't seen the dispenser at CCs go dry yet. ;)

The CMs told me that I won the 'Dairy Queen' award for how much dole whip I managed to get into the little cup. LOL!

:rotfl: That's hilarious! I tried doing that once but I think I embarassed my DF. I think half the fun is trying to fit as much as you can in the cup.

Thank you for your help!! I thought maybe this post got burried or forgotten! I have not tried Narcosee's yet.... there is always next year!:lmao:
Yes, I think we might pay oop for this. I am going to do the math on our other planned meals to see if it make sense. I have more TS meals booked then I have on the program. (I have 3 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 4 dinners set up for TS... I only get 5 of those for free... the luau would use 2ts meal points leaving me with only 3 for the rest of the trip. SO maybe I use 3ts dinners 1ts lunch and 1 ts breakfast. pay for the 4th dinner which is the Luau and the 2 other ts breakfasts) LOL I am so laughing at myself right now:lmao:
Does this even make sense to anyone but me!! ??:laughing: Is anyone still reading this?:rotfl2:

Lastly, Can I get Chocolate chip pancakes at Capt. cooks? Dh will be really sad iff he does not get his chocolate chip pancakes like the ones we got at POR FQ;)

:rotfl: Yes we are still reading your post. :) I wanted to second BCV23's recommendation for Kona's. It is wonderful food. They have wonderful breakfasts and they try so hard to please the guests. I imagine they would be happy to add chocolate chips to the pancake batter. We usually eat breakfast there at least once during our vacation and we ALWAYS have dinner there. I personally like it better than Ohana's.

Be sure to let us know how your trip goes when you get back. Remember we all love pictures and stories. :thumbsup2

HI,

We are going to the Poly in Dec and right now we are in a gv room and I keep thinking about upgrading to the CL. Is this something that you can do with a phone call? Or make a new reservation? I tried to go online and it says there are no rooms avail for CL the time we are going. DO they give certain rooms for CL? Is it possible that they are really sold out? Maybe I should just give them a call......???? Any thoughts on the upgrading thing in general or what to do about it? (btw, we are on the ddp w/park hopper tickets, maybe with the ddp, CL isnt worth it?) Or here is a thought, is CL worth more than the DDP? and we should ditch the DDP and use CL. But then there is the thing about not spending that much time at the resort, and spending alot of time in the parks.....Oh my!!! SO much to think about!

When are you going in Dec? The reason I ask, I have ressies for LV Club level for Dec and unfortunately it's looking like I'm going to have to cancel. :sad1: Our dates are Dec 12-19. If this works for you, pm me and I will let you know if we decide to cancel for sure. I sure would like to pass the room on to another DISer if I can't use it!

Hi guys! I got back about a week ago and am still in post Disney depression (pdd). I LOVED the Poly and can't imagine staying anywhere else. I know it's strange but I love the smell of the lobby when you walk in after a day at the park. Anyway........after researching the Poly from this thread, I was armed. I had requested long ago a 3rd floor room in Fiji. When we checked in, she gave us Room 3311 and I had a bad feeling based on what I learned on these threads. But I thought, no, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and go check it out. As we're walking around the marina, I look up and see that yes, the balcony view is half obstructed by trees! Oh, come on. I stopped my dh in his tracks and told him that I did not book that far in advance with such a specific request for that- so he told me to go back and see if we can get another room (while he planted himself near the marina with the kids). I go back and after 15 minutes of checking, the best they can do is move me the next day to the other side (facing the GF) to room 3306. This time, I pulled out the Fiji room guide that I know I got off this thread or Tikiman's site, and knew right away it was a good view. So, I agreed and we went to Room 3311. It's not a bad room except for the half balcony view obstruction. Many people would be happy with this! Here's the kicker. First we open the frig, and it's full of food from the prior attendant. So, I call mousekeeping and tell them that we'll bag it and leave it in the hallway for them to come get. No biggie. Then, I remember, I had groceries delivered by gardengrocer so I call bell services to bring it up. He says he'll be right there. ONE HOUR LATER and after about 5 calls to Bell Services, we finally get it. As a result, we missed the first half of the water electrical parade. UGH! It was a pain that we couldn't really unpack that night b/c we had to put all our luggage AND FOOD in storage with bell services the next day while our room was switched, but it was well worth it. After the switch, it was pure luxury and no hitches. The room was huge. We had a blow up bed with us and there was plenty of room for that and the double stroller packed with our goodies for the next day. There were 6 of us and we loved it - plenty of room. And can I say, not one peep of noise from anywhere else. Mousekeeping was great and would make a mountain of stuffed animals for the kids to come "home" to. The grounds are beautiful and clean. The torch lighting ceremony is great and you should take your kids if you are not doing the dinner show. The arcade was fun, Capt. Cook's good (except those awful stale Polynesian chips), and the pool unbelievable. My kids went down the volcano slide about a thousand times! Like I said, I'm depressed I'm back but if you have any questions let me know! By the way, the Pina Colava is a must!! SeaSpray, I may have to borrow some of your pics from the beginning of this thread, b/c we were hit with Fay at the end of our trip and I couldn't get resort photos like I wanted. Thanks again for this thread!

In most of the photos of the Volcano Pool it looks super crowded. Is it a small pool in relation to other resort pools? How big is the quiet pool in relation to the Volcano pool? Any info on the pools appreciated:)

Did you by any chance eat breakfast there? If so, how was it and what would you suggest?

Going in Nov. and pretty nervous about the breakfast there. After staying at the Riverside, whose quick service was awesome, we're afraid we're going to be let down. We're planning on eating all our B-fast there for 8 days.

Any honest opinions?

I did not eat breakfast there. My dad had the breakfast sandwich from Captain Cooks and he enjoyed it. We had two character breakfasts and the other days we just fed the kids in the room. I never did try the tonga toast.

My camera battery died on me so I apologize for the photo quality. SeaSpray, if you want to link to this post or want me to consolidate these photos into my other post, let me know. :goodvibes

P8270192.jpg

Breakfast menu. I noticed the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks tasted 'lighter' than that at Kona. Still very good!

P8270197.jpg

Soda dispenser #1. This one has Minute Maid Apple Juice and Hi-C Fruit Punch.

P8270198.jpg

Soda dispenser #2. This one has Barq's root beer, Vault energy drink and Coke Zero!

P8270199.jpg

Dole Whip machine! The CMs told me that I won the 'Dairy Queen' award for how much dole whip I managed to get into the little cup. LOL!

P8270200.jpg

Bakery case. So many yummy options! And yes, they do count as a snack or as a dessert option on the DDP.

Ms StinkerBelle Thanks for the awesome photos and info. Thats my first peek at where to get the famous Dole Whip when we're staying at the Poly:) .

In most of the photos of the Volcano Pool it looks super crowded. Is it a small pool in relation to other resort pools? How big is the quiet pool in relation to the Volcano pool? Any info on the pools appreciated:)

The volcano pool can be crowded but it depends on the time of the year, day of the week and time of day IMO.

The quiet pool is perhaps a little larger and very rarely crowded. It has very nice seating around it too.

I did not eat breakfast there. My dad had the breakfast sandwich from Captain Cooks and he enjoyed it. We had two character breakfasts and the other days we just fed the kids in the room. I never did try the tonga toast.
Thanks for the reply. The kids will be depressed they can't get their mickey waffles (we're on the dining plan & they're on the kid's plan) Oh well, they'll survive.

Thanks for the reply. The kids will be depressed they can't get their mickey waffles (we're on the dining plan & they're on the kid's plan) Oh well, they'll survive.

Wait! I'm confused. We were on the ddp and my kids had Mickey waffles at Captn' Cook's one morning. I had the cheese danish and coffee and my dh had - wow, I can't remember. In fact, I took pics of the Mickey waffles they were so cute!

I didn't find it that crowded. We were able to get a table and chairs and the kids spend time in the volcano lining up or in the water spray area. In fact, I never once thought to myself that it was too crowded and frankly, forgot all about the quiet pool. IN fact, I never even saw it the whole time we were there. Please don't worry about that!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter