The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back last night. We had a wonderful time even though Fay showed up uninvited.

We did the photoshoot. We ate at Kona Cafe, Ohana's for Breakfast, Captain Cooks and the Luau. I plan to do a review and post it but I took a bunch of pics and here are a couple with information on the Marina Prices. Not sure if these have been posted but here they are. This sign is located outside the hut at the marina.

120634Mikala_Canoe_Club_Web.jpg

120634Mikala_Canoe_Club_zoom_web.jpg

Mind if I add this post to the index in Post #1?? :)

I believe that the wheel-chair/accessible rooms are on the ground floor (but I'm not 100% positive that every single accessible room is on the ground floor. In Tahiti, I believe they are on the ground floor, though). Even so, with a ground floor room, you'll have a great patio that your family can see the MK from, and watch the fireworks from. :)

I have stayed in an accessible room in the Hawaii building, and it was great. Here's a link to my page with pictures and my observations of the accessible features, if you'd like to take a look: http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/html/PolynAccessRm.htm
Thanks, Terry. The pictures are great.

I believe that the wheel-chair/accessible rooms are on the ground floor (but I'm not 100% positive that every single accessible room is on the ground floor. In Tahiti, I believe they are on the ground floor, though). Even so, with a ground floor room, you'll have a great patio that your family can see the MK from, and watch the fireworks from. :)

I have stayed in an accessible room in the Hawaii building, and it was great. Here's a link to my page with pictures and my observations of the accessible features, if you'd like to take a look: http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/html/PolynAccessRm.htm

If you ask me thats how they should make all the rooms. I like the button for the door that would be great when trying to push a stroller into the room. And the doors on the closet are great the way they slide. I love the shower at home we have a handheld and it make it easy to bathe the kids. So yes after typing this I now know I wish all rooms had these features.

DisneyDad in PA, how was the Luau? Debating whether to try it in December.

DisneyDad in PA, how was the Luau? Debating whether to try it in December.

We enjoyed it. We did it in September 06 also. The food is good and the entertainment is good as well. We did Hoop Dee Doo Revue last year and I think we like that a little better than the Luau.

However, it made it a little better since we were staying at the Poly this time. It really went along great with the Polynesian atmosphere.

Is alcoholic drinks served in the Conceirge level? Also, what day do they put the sushi out?

Thanks All!

Brunette

:confused3 For those who've done the Luau.....do you think it would entertain a 2 1/2 and 4 yr old? Can't decide if we should do it or not when we go in Dec. That's the other thing....in Dec, it can be COLD at night. Is it in a covered area? Do they have any kind of heating if it's cold or do you just eat with your coats on?

Is alcoholic drinks served in the Conceirge level? Also, what day do they put the sushi out?

Thanks All!

Brunette

:surfweb:
Yes, you can get alcoholic drinks at the club level lounge. I believe beer is available through out the day (excluding breakfast) and I'm sure that the evening offerings include pretty much anything you could want. Although I don't remember seeing any specialty drinks :stir: (mixes or exotics) I do remember sipping :drinking1 on cognac and scotch and of course, some nice wines.
As for sushi, I'm not sure. but I do know that at either the tikiman site or the beginning of this thread, there is a club level menu posted and it breaks it down by day of the week.
Also, the Kona bar just started serving sushi through out the day.
Tikiman said he is impressed with their offerings.
Hmmm :wave: Hello tikiman...I hope you don't mind me quoting you!

Is there a self-serve laundry? If so, where is it located?
TIA!
:surfweb:
Yes, there is a self service laundry. :laundy: Not sure of the exact location, but it is near the GCH. It is available 24 hours a day, but after normal hours, you need a room key to get in. So...don't carry your laundry there without having your key to save a trip back to your room. There are also vending machines there for detergent, bleach, softener etc.
I also believe there is a TV there to help pass the time while waiting.popcorn::

:confused3 For those who've done the Luau.....do you think it would entertain a 2 1/2 and 4 yr old? Can't decide if we should do it or not when we go in Dec. That's the other thing....in Dec, it can be COLD at night. Is it in a covered area? Do they have any kind of heating if it's cold or do you just eat with your coats on?

We went a couple weeks ago. My girls enjoyed it but they are 8 &6. There were a few younger ones next to us who got up and were running around. When it's time for the fire dancer they say that all kids need to say in their seats. They did go up to the table to ask them to have the kids sit.
I think they are a little too young. It is a lot of sitting. They do go up on the stage in the first half to dance but then they are back in their seats.

I am glad we did the luau. We did HDDR two years ago when the girls were 4 &6. They 4 year old liked it. I know most prefer HDDR but I think the luau one out for me. It's not something I need to do every time a go but it was great!
It's not in a covered area. I don't think there would be any type of heating unless it was a space heater type of thing.

THANKS DancemomNJ....that's helpful info. I think I'll probably hold off on the luau and maybe try it a few years down the line. I'll ahve to see if I can find a YouTube video of HDDR....just seems maybe they are too young to catch onto the humor, from what I can tell. I really want to do the luau but think due to their ages and time of year, I'll hold off. THANKS again!

Thanks All!

Brunette

Monday is sushi night in the lounge. Someone else answered your adult beverage question, but I will add that the dessert service has cordials as opposed to a "full bar" option: cognac, kahlua, Bailey's Irish Cream, etc. You can also get beer and wine until 10:00 too and a spiked punch as well, if there's any left after evening service. ;)

THANKS DancemomNJ....that's helpful info. I think I'll probably hold off on the luau and maybe try it a few years down the line. I'll ahve to see if I can find a YouTube video of HDDR....just seems maybe they are too young to catch onto the humor, from what I can tell. I really want to do the luau but think due to their ages and time of year, I'll hold off. THANKS again!

Your welcome. It's not the same but 'Ohana is our favorite! I didn't know if I would feel the same with the new menu when we went but I liked it even better! The kids can eat what everyone is eatting and also order chicken fingers... They have coconut races for the kids, hula dance (adults too, I did it!). The food is great and it's lots of fun. My kids enjoy it as much as us.

:confused3 For those who've done the Luau.....do you think it would entertain a 2 1/2 and 4 yr old?

It has been about 20 years, but our younger DD, fell fast asleep in her high chair during the luau when she was 22 months old. :love:

Your welcome. It's not the same but 'Ohana is our favorite! I didn't know if I would feel the same with the new menu when we went but I liked it even better! The kids can eat what everyone is eatting and also order chicken fingers... They have coconut races for the kids, hula dance (adults too, I did it!). The food is great and it's lots of fun. My kids enjoy it as much as us.

GOOD to know. We plan to go to 'Ohana as well as Kona while we're there. The girls both love asian-type foods (Hmm, perhaps b/c they are 1/2 vietnamese? :rotfl2: ) and I know they'll totally enjoy 'Ohana's! Do they do the coconut races all the time or is there a specific time we should make our ADR? THANKS again!

GOOD to know. We plan to go to 'Ohana as well as Kona while we're there. The girls both love asian-type foods (Hmm, perhaps b/c they are 1/2 vietnamese? :rotfl2: ) and I know they'll totally enjoy 'Ohana's! Do they do the coconut races all the time or is there a specific time we should make our ADR? THANKS again!
They say every 20 minutes they do something but it's more like every half hour or so.Ask to be seated in the main dining area where you can see all the action.

Is there a self-serve laundry? If so, where is it located?
TIA!

The self-serve laundry is located in the same building as the Neverland Club (the building is right across from the Poly bus stop). It is to the right of the club. I believe it is $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter