The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by SeaSpray, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessMemoriesJeNN

PrincessMemoriesJeNN Love WDW

I am so excited to be going back to WDW in about 2 weeks (free dining too)! I have a few questions about staying at the Poly (the last time I stayed there I was 3, I visited for a few hours when I was 24, and I just turned 35 yesterday - so it has been awhile)!

1. I was thinking about calling to request my GV room to be one of those that you can actually see the lagoon kiddie corner from - any suggestions?

2. We are staying with 5 people (myself, DH, son age 8, daughter age 4, and my mom who just survives breast cancer and skin cancer in the past year). We are making mom's dream come true by allowing her to stya at the Poly with my daughter, just like she did with me when I was little. Well, we couldn't afford the MK view like we had 30+ years ago (only $74 a night then) so I was wondering if the GV rooms that were supposed to be a bit larger in the newer longhouses were really comfortable for 5?

Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. AUDramaQueen

AUDramaQueen DIS Veteran

Thanks! I know staying at the Poly is a dream no matter where. Like someone else said I would be happy if they put me in a closet!

That being said....I don't think it would hurt to look into it now would it?:rolleyes1

4. MamaOfTwoPrincesses

MamaOfTwoPrincesses MNSSHP October 2008

I'm so happy to be posting here.

We were originally booked at the Contemporary for our upcoming October trip. We chose the Contemporary for its proximity to MK and convenience with 2 littles. But it wasn't our dream location. Then, just last week when the October codes came out, my TA said that she could get us into the Poly for $200 less than our Contemporary rate. :banana: :banana: :banana: Sadly, by the time we got back in touch with each other, the Poly was no longer available. But we were able to get that same rate at the Beach Club. :thumbsup2 We jumped at it, knowing what a lovely resort it is, and that the girls would have a blast at the pool. But it was not exactly the location we desired.

So, yesterday, we had to pay the balance on our trip. My TA called again and informed me that the Poly was again available. TAKE IT! we told her. A few hours later, she called back and told us that we were in. :woohoo:

So, now I have a lot of work to do. I know nothing about the Poly, but I plan to spend the evening reading all about it!

Any great tips I should know about? Can I get a recommendation for a standard room location that would be desirable for a family of 4 with 2 little girls? (6 and 3)

THANKS so much!:goodvibes

Oh, also, I really want to eat at Kona now. I do worry about my 6 year old's peanut allergy, as this is an Asian inspired restaurant. Does anyone have any experience eating here with a peanut allergy? (Yes, it's already noted in our reservation and ADRs.) :)

5. krbq

krbq DIS Veteran

Beautiful shots! Can't wait for you to get home from work and post some more!;)

6. PreppyPolyMom

PreppyPolyMom Mouseketeer

In June we are staying CL/LV, what floor is the lounge on? Can it be accessed from all floors?

7. MUFFYCAT

MUFFYCAT <marquee behavior=alternate><font color=deeppink>S

The lounge is on the second and can be accessed from the 3 floors by elevator or the stairs. There is also a second sitting area on the 3rd floor with a TV which usually is for adults. The TV in the lounge will have the Disney channel on all day.

Enjoy, you're going to love CL! :banana:

8. jackdis

jackdis DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,
    We're leaving in an hour and here's my usual dilemma....should I take my hair dryer? Are the ones ok in the room? Thanks......

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc <font color=royalblue>We had a wonderful time, but

The one in my room last week was fine.

10. Me&3

Me&3 DIS Veteran

The one in the room is fine. I think it is a Conair and has a cool button set which is important to me when I use the blow dryer. What is great it is not attached to the wall.

11. jackdis

jackdis DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks!!!!!

12. DisneyDad in PA

DisneyDad in PA Beach Club Fan!!

We just got back last night. We had a wonderful time even though Fay showed up uninvited.

We did the photoshoot. We ate at Kona Cafe, Ohana's for Breakfast, Captain Cooks and the Luau. I plan to do a review and post it but I took a bunch of pics and here are a couple with information on the Marina Prices. Not sure if these have been posted but here they are. This sign is located outside the hut at the marina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Picabo

Picabo "Hi, my name is Picabo & I'm a Disboard-o-holic!!"

WOW what an up and down rollercoaster you've had in regards to yoru hotel! Glad you finally were able to get into the Poly! I've never been (YET) so I have no words of wisdom on the peanut allergy. I would think that disney is used to dealing with this and you shouldn't have a problem.

In regards to room location....are you garden view or what did you book? We booked gardenview and after looking at Tikiman's site in detail and asking several people here on DIS I ended up reguesting Tokelua bldg. Central location, all floors have balconies (or patio), rooms are a TINY bit larger than the others. Some people love Somoa...very close to the Volcano pool and nice views, too. You will get MANY different opionions about 'best location' I'm sure.

CONGRATS!

14. DisneyDad in PA

DisneyDad in PA Beach Club Fan!!

We found its great for drying wet sneakers as well. :)

15. MsStinkerBelle

MsStinkerBelle Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

We went to Captain Cooks for lunch and I took a few photos to show the lunch menu and some of the items in the refrigerated section.

[​IMG]
    Lunchtime Menu

[​IMG]
    The "Market' Refrigerator section

[​IMG]
    A shot of the left case...notice the Silk Soy milk available

16. twinnybelles

twinnybelles Mouseketeer

Thanks for the photos of Capn Cook's MsStinkerBelle - Now if someone could just outline an easy to use primer of how to order for us first timers so we don't look inept at ordering a sandwich - that would be phenomenal !:rotfl:

17. MsStinkerBelle

MsStinkerBelle Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

You're welcome! Since I'm an engineer I found it quite easy however, engineers are not reliable test subjects because of the strange way we think. The user interface really isn't laid out really well and that's my main point of contention with it. Someone making a 'primer' for first timers would be great!

18. maidenfairy

maidenfairy The Force is strong

If you have a Sheetz gas station in your area you can practice on the ordering screens. That's how you order all the sub sands at Sheetz.

19. triplefigs

triplefigs <marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>

My DS is in a wheelchair. We have the MK view booked for our Dec 13-20 trip. My TA is calling special needs services tomorrow to request a HA room in Tahiti for us (on Tikiman's site, it looks like the only MK view HA rooms are in Tahiti). She's also requesting either the 3rd floor for a balcony or ground floor patio. Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms?

20. SeaSpray

SeaSpray Disney World fan since 1976

I believe that the wheel-chair/accessible rooms are on the ground floor (but I'm not 100% positive that every single accessible room is on the ground floor. In Tahiti, I believe they are on the ground floor, though). Even so, with a ground floor room, you'll have a great patio that your family can see the MK from, and watch the fireworks from. :)

I have stayed in an accessible room in the Hawaii building, and it was great. Here's a link to my page with pictures and my observations of the accessible features, if you'd like to take a look: http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/html/PolynAccessRm.htm

21. SeaSpray

SeaSpray Disney World fan since 1976

GREAT pics! Mind if I post a link to them in the index on Post #1?? :cool2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.