SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Let's start another topic: What is your favorite part about staying at Shades?

Mine is the peaceful atmosphere with that military discipline and comraderie (sp?). :thumbsup2

Bigger rooms for a smaller price is the best part of staying at Shades for us. On our last trip we stayed at POR and it was really nice but after staying at Shades the year before the size of the room is a disappointment when you can pay less at Shades and get a bigger room and sit out on the little patio and relax.

Room size, fridges, coffee makers, tables and chairs, convenient transportation without pushing and shoving. Truly. Shades of Green transportation is THE best. On time, right there, without a line as long as a football field. :) I also love the covered parking. We usually drive and parking's a breeze. Not so at the other resorts. And I love it that we can walk to the Polynesian and catch the monorail if we want to. Our first night at Shades we always eat at O'Hanas and enjoy the fireworks from the beach.

Our family (5 grown married kids and 9 grand-kids), and between us and our kids, there are 3 military people. We visit Shades at least once a year and book between 6 and 8 rooms. The staff is always, always, so nice about booking rooms on the same floor, many times right next to each other.

The only disadvantage of Shades is not being able to have the meal plan, but that's a small inconvenience compared to everything else.

A few of my favorite things at Shades of Green:
It seems so much calmer at SOG than over at other Disney resorts, even during busy times of year. The buses, surprisingly. We always meet very kind and polite passengers and I am always offered a seat on the Shades buses despite being completely fine and able to stand (unless I am carrying a child.) I really don't even mind that the buses only come on the hour because I appreciate the predictability. And I love being able to walk to the Poly.

I do wish that Shades of Green offered an airport shuttle, even if they had to charge a small fee to operate it.

We are at SOG right now. But leaving this afternoon :( its been a great week! We have loved having a large room for such a low rate, but I have to admit we're not fans of the transportation here. One bus broke down altogether. They did get a rental to replace it by the next day and another bus seemed to have no A/C at all. Otherwise we enjoyed our first stay at SoG

We are at SOG right now. But leaving this afternoon :( its been a great week! We have loved having a large room for such a low rate, but I have to admit we're not fans of the transportation here. One bus broke down altogether. They did get a rental to replace it by the next day and another bus seemed to have no A/C at all. Otherwise we enjoyed our first stay at SoG

Oh no!
Side note: I read new buses in the spring and the old would be retired.

Oh no!
Side note: I read new buses in the spring and the old would be retired.

Yes, they are getting all new buses, but not til next spring. It was on their fb page. We depend on Disney transportation most of the time and definitely will moreso this Nov. We don't mind the walk to the Poly or TTC.

Hi everyone! I am booking my stay at SOG for Feb this week and I am so excited. I have been to SoG many times but never with my ds3 and ds2. My favorite thing about SOG is the room size! I chose SOG for the room size, peacefulness, price, and atmosphere. DH is not a big fan of Disney but the golf courses helped me persuade him!

Just got back from SOG 8-24, :sad:. We had an awesome time. Love the peacefulness and room size there and of course the location. Can't forget the friendliness of the staff. Have to say, we felt the food was much improved since our stay 2 years ago. We ate lunch and a late dinner at Evergreens which we all enjoyed. The breakfast buffet at Garden gallery was good as usual. We ate lunch at Mangino's 3 times and found it very tasty. Sandwiches at the Express cafe by the bus stop were also good. The remodel of the Java cafe was a great idea. You can get anything from coffee and quick breakfast items like yogurt, fruit and muffins, also ice cream...to beer and bar drinks. For those concerned about the pool being crowded because of the remodel don't worry. We were there most afternoons and didn't find it crowded. We used the Sog buses quite a lot and had no issues. The post Disney depression has set in. Hope it won't be too long before we can plan another trip to SOG and Disney. To all of you with trips coming up have a great time!

I understand the Disney vacation blues. We will be there in three weeks and. after a very short two-week visit, back to the post Disney blues too.

I understand the Disney vacation blues. We will be there in three weeks and. after a very short two-week visit, back to the post Disney blues too.

Lucky!!! Wish I could talk my husband into staying that long. Have a great time. :tigger:

Ok, OK ... no more whining from me! :lmao:

But I'm still going to do my count down! :cool1:

By the way ... for those of you who were just there and maybe someone who is still there: Is there a stage up in front of Big Blue at HS? I have been trying for two years to get some night shots of Big Blue and it seems every single time we go, there is a huge stage in front of it. I thought that, since we are going in Sept this year, I would be able to get some good night shots. But then I read that there is a Monster U stage up. Sheesh!!! :mad:

Please tell me is aint so!!!:sad:

Military Disney Tips has photos of concept art for a slide at the Mickey pool and a small child play area in the baby pool on his Facebook page. Hoping this happens! That is the only thing we miss when we stay at SOG... my kids LOVE slides!

Ok, OK ... no more whining from me! :lmao:

But I'm still going to do my count down! :cool1:

By the way ... for those of you who were just there and maybe someone who is still there: Is there a stage up in front of Big Blue at HS? I have been trying for two years to get some night shots of Big Blue and it seems every single time we go, there is a huge stage in front of it. I thought that, since we are going in Sept this year, I would be able to get some good night shots. But then I read that there is a Monster U stage up. Sheesh!!! :mad:

Please tell me is aint so!!!:sad:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...as of last week it is so.::yes::

My daughter (21) finishes a final on Friday afternoon. We will drive to Orlando on Saturday, and she will fly into Orlando on Saturday afternoon. I will PM you. We lived in Rome, NY for 4 years. Never been so cold. How do you do it?

Lol... born and raised in NY... spent some time out of state while my husband was in the military... but even that was in New England.... we are just north of Syracuse so not far from you. How do we do it... we go to Disney two or three times a year.... get out of the cold for even a few days helps give us a spark... Tim and I are going next week with my sister and her husband for 5 days.... can't wait!

I am so tempted to book at that 40% off rate for next September. We'd be out of promotional park tickets, though (using them for our November trip) so I don't think I could convince DH. But, wow, what a deal on rooms that is...

I am so tempted to book at that 40% off rate for next September. We'd be out of promotional park tickets, though (using them for our November trip) so I don't think I could convince DH. But, wow, what a deal on rooms that is...

Yes I'm considering this too....::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!