SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Update on my trip. On may 20, they started to check I'd from everyone coming onto the resort. It was our last day so I can't say much, we went out at 8:30 and returned about 7:30, what a down pour we had, they asked for picture I'd, from everyone. Ridiculous to me, they had us all take it out (so you could drop all your other cards and stuff) and that was it, he did not take it in his hand, he did not look closely at it, he did not ask any questions, just show me that you have I'd and you can come on in. What the point is I don't know? My ex was not with us, so no one had military I'd, just licenses.

On Saturday, my dd was walking over to the poly and lost everything, her license, tickets and credit cards, she had pulled out her room key and it all fell out. Luckily we noticed after just a few minutes and was able to retrieve it all. But I wonder, what happens when someone loses there license, and does not get it back in time to catch a flight home.

I understand security, but this was not security, this was take out your license just so I can see you have one, no question as to if we where staying there, no question as to what our business was, no question as to what room we were in, nothing not even a close enough to to see if it was really us on the license or if what our names were. To me a total waste of time. People where saying they were doing it on the buses also, we did not take a bus we where in the shady shuttle, but if they stopped a late bus, with 60 or 70 people every 20 minutes or hour this would seem to cause a huge back up, and all just to see if you have ID but not to really investigate why you wanted on property?

Wonderful trip.

According to the Military Disney blog today, we no longer need to worry about parties selling out before we can buy tickets at the military discount. Military can purchase party tickets even for sold out parties. I love to see Disney extending this awesome courtesy since it has always been stressful for us trying to plan a party into our trip and worrying about a sell out before we arrive. Though, I'm not sure I'd want to attend that badly on a sold out night anyway...:)

According to the Military Disney blog today, we no longer need to worry about parties selling out before we can buy tickets at the military discount. Military can purchase party tickets even for sold out parties. I love to see Disney extending this awesome courtesy since it has always been stressful for us trying to plan a party into our trip and worrying about a sell out before we arrive. Though, I'm not sure I'd want to attend that badly on a sold out night anyway...:)

Yay!!!

And on Facebook they've posted pictures of the AAFES Grand Opening!

Yay!!!

Oh awesome!

We are staying at the Swan for our next trip simply because we are now obsessed with the Epcot/HS adjacent locations but we are planning to head back to SOG sometime in 2014/2015 and are really excited about the pool and AAFES updates. Next up should be major restaurant ownership renovations ;)

Yay!!!

Someone is going to have to comment in person, because in the photos it doesn't look very different at all. They could have at least taken some more photos of the food area, unless of course that area isn't expanded and we now only have a larger gift shop.

Update on my trip. On may 20, they started to check I'd from everyone coming onto the resort. It was our last day so I can't say much, we went out at 8:30 and returned about 7:30, what a down pour we had, they asked for picture I'd, from everyone. Ridiculous to me, they had us all take it out (so you could drop all your other cards and stuff) and that was it, he did not take it in his hand, he did not look closely at it, he did not ask any questions, just show me that you have I'd and you can come on in. What the point is I don't know? My ex was not with us, so no one had military I'd, just licenses.

On Saturday, my dd was walking over to the poly and lost everything, her license, tickets and credit cards, she had pulled out her room key and it all fell out. Luckily we noticed after just a few minutes and was able to retrieve it all. But I wonder, what happens when someone loses there license, and does not get it back in time to catch a flight home.

I understand security, but this was not security, this was take out your license just so I can see you have one, no question as to if we where staying there, no question as to what our business was, no question as to what room we were in, nothing not even a close enough to to see if it was really us on the license or if what our names were. To me a total waste of time. People where saying they were doing it on the buses also, we did not take a bus we where in the shady shuttle, but if they stopped a late bus, with 60 or 70 people every 20 minutes or hour this would seem to cause a huge back up, and all just to see if you have ID but not to really investigate why you wanted on property?

Wonderful trip.

Well, that does sound rather silly. Wouldn't showing a room key for your group make more sense? I don't mind having to show something to board a bus to SOG but if the reason is to restrict bus use to guests and military then room key or military ID makes the most sense to me. But maybe I am not fully understanding?

Well, that does sound rather silly. Wouldn't showing a room key for your group make more sense? I don't mind having to show something to board a bus to SOG but if the reason is to restrict bus use to guests and military then room key or military ID makes the most sense to me. But maybe I am not fully understanding?

Yes, it seemed rather silly. I heard also it was so others didn't take the buses, that seems silly in and of itself since most of us who stay at SoG take the poly monorail, or the poly buses to get around rather than wait for our inconvient buses that only come once an hour and are way out of the way to get to.

Also, many people have business at the SoG, those buying tickets but not staying, can they not come on sight anymore. The whole thing just did not make sense to me. One day before our last day someone did ask us to show room key but not ID, that made a lot more sense to me.

Plus who would be knocking down the doors to get in, you must have military ID to get keys to a room. Things do not cost that much less to go all the way over to SoG, a coke at Disney cost $2.79, at SoG it cost $2 and an hour bus ride to and a wait of and hour to leave. Cost of a Disney meal cost about, $20, cost of SoG about $14 but again the bus ride over and back would take up the cost in time. The food has gotten better but not that much that I would waste 2 hours or more of park time. The store does not sell true Disney stuff and the pools do not have slides so why are people going all the way and wasting park time to get to SoG.the only amazing thing I know of is Johnny at the spa and how good your feet and legs feel after he messages them, now that may be worth a four hour trip to SoG.

I'm going to disagree on the buses. We almost exclusively use the Shades buses. The TTC has buses to AK & HS that are right by the Shades bus stop and we use those a lot and rarely walk to the Poly.

I feel like half of the guests exclusively use SOG transport and the other half use alternate forms or a combination. We love using the monorail or boat to the Poly and then walking back when we visit MK (and sometimes Epcot) but tend to wait out the SOG buses from other parks. It is a little bit inconvenient having to wait for the hour but I like the predictability of the system. It has only been tough when we were suddenly desperate to leave and a bus just left, which has been extremely rare over the years. I do think that the SOG bus back from Downtown Disney is the best of all Disney transport back from that area. Every time we have been staying at another resort, the trip back was a nightmare. (I do think we have exceptionally bad luck in this regard with out of the ordinary things happening.) But, when we stay at Shades of Green, we have always had a drama-free ride back.

Ok, I tried reading through the pages of info here, and am not finding the answer to these couple things. The answers are probably here - I'm just having wayyy too much fun reading these threads and should be getting ready for work!

We are in WDW and staying at SOG for 10 days in July. Yeah!:cool1:

We've stayed at SOG several times before, so I mostly know what to expect, but am wondering:

1) Parking is still $6 a night, correct? My older daughter is meeting us there as she is working this summer in Savannah, GA. Will she be able to park at SOG? We will have our rental car. Is there a cheaper option? Her car will just be sitting doing nothing for the 10 days we are there. Would love to save the $60!

2) SOG guests can still do EMH, correct? Please, please say, "yes"! We love our extra-late nights in the parks!

3) Anyone use the spa services that can share how it compared to other places you've been? Thinking of treating my two daughters to a massage, but a little apprehensive about how worth it it would be.

4) Do SOG guests have to pay to park their car in the Disney park lots? For awhile we didn't, then on one vaca we did.... just trying to plan ahead for those kinds of expenses.

Thank you!!! Can't wait to visit again!!!

:grouphug: denise

Yes, it seemed rather silly. I heard also it was so others didn't take the buses, that seems silly in and of itself since most of us who stay at SoG take the poly monorail, or the poly buses to get around rather than wait for our inconvient buses that only come once an hour and are way out of the way to get to.

Also, many people have business at the SoG, those buying tickets but not staying, can they not come on sight anymore. The whole thing just did not make sense to me. One day before our last day someone did ask us to show room key but not ID, that made a lot more sense to me.

Plus who would be knocking down the doors to get in, you must have military ID to get keys to a room. Things do not cost that much less to go all the way over to SoG, a coke at Disney cost $2.79, at SoG it cost $2 and an hour bus ride to and a wait of and hour to leave. Cost of a Disney meal cost about, $20, cost of SoG about $14 but again the bus ride over and back would take up the cost in time. The food has gotten better but not that much that I would waste 2 hours or more of park time. The store does not sell true Disney stuff and the pools do not have slides so why are people going all the way and wasting park time to get to SoG.the only amazing thing I know of is Johnny at the spa and how good your feet and legs feel after he messages them, now that may be worth a four hour trip to SoG.

I agree that unless you have business as a military member or are staying at SOG, it is unlikely that you would be desperate to use a SOG bus. I mean, were an influx of Poly guests doing the opposite of what my family does and taking SOG buses and then walking to the Poly :confused3? Would absolutely love to know the inside story on this policy. Just because I am really nosy...

As I said, I'm not upset about it or even terribly inconvenienced at the thought, I just can't figure out what purpose it serves. (And I would be annoyed if I was waiting in a downpour for a big group to board and shuffle around for ID's.)

I feel like half of the guests exclusively use SOG transport and the other half use alternate forms or a combination. We love using the monorail or boat to the Poly and then walking back when we visit MK (and sometimes Epcot) but tend to wait out the SOG buses from other parks. It is a little bit inconvenient having to wait for the hour but I like the predictability of the system. It has only been tough when we were suddenly desperate to leave and a bus just left, which has been extremely rare over the years. I do think that the SOG bus back from Downtown Disney is the best of all Disney transport back from that area. Every time we have been staying at another resort, the trip back was a nightmare. (I do think we have exceptionally bad luck in this regard with out of the ordinary things happening.) But, when we stay at Shades of Green, we have always had a drama-free ride back.

We usually don't wait for the Shades buses to leave a park. If it works great but we'll usually hop a TTC bus or any Monorail resort whichever comes first.

Ok, I tried reading through the pages of info here, and am not finding the answer to these couple things. The answers are probably here - I'm just having wayyy too much fun reading these threads and should be getting ready for work!

We've stayed at SOG several times before, so I mostly know what to expect, but am wondering:

1) Parking is still $6 a night, correct? My older daughter is meeting us there as she is working this summer in Savannah, GA. Will she be able to park at SOG? We will have our rental car. Is there a cheaper option? Her car will just be sitting doing nothing for the 10 days we are there. Would love to save the $60!

2) SOG guests can still do EMH, correct? Please, please say, "yes"! We love our extra-late nights in the parks!

3) Anyone use the spa services that can share how it compared to other places you've been? Thinking of treating my two daughters to a massage, but a little apprehensive about how worth it it would be.

4) Do SOG guests have to pay to park their car in the Disney park lots? For awhile we didn't, then on one vaca we did.... just trying to plan ahead for those kinds of expenses.

I can answer # 2 .. YES!!! you can use EMH... and for # 4 ... We could park at the Disney park lots free as long as you show your SOG Tag in your window..;)

I can answer # 2 .. YES!!! you can use EMH... and for # 4 ... We could park at the Disney park lots free as long as you show your SOG Tag in your window..;)

1) yes, you still have to pay to park at SOG. Do not recall the daily parking rate though at this moment. Nothing you can do about it though.
2) Yes, EMH still allowed for SOG
3) Don't know.
4) the previous poster is incorrect. SOG guests noq have to pay for parking at all the parks.

In an "unrelated to current posts" note:

Sniff! Every time I come back and start posting over here, I get nostalgic for SOG and want to change the reservations for our next trip. Unfortunately, it isn't practical this time, but I am excited to plan a 2014/2015 SOG stay :)

In an "unrelated to current posts" note:

Sniff! Every time I come back and start posting over here, I get nostalgic for SOG and want to change the reservations for our next trip. Unfortunately, it isn't practical this time, but I am excited to plan a 2014/2015 SOG stay :)

I know. I don't have a trip planned right now, so all of the talk makes me sad.

1) yes, you still have to pay to park at SOG. Do not recall the daily parking rate though at this moment. Nothing you can do about it though.
2) Yes, EMH still allowed for SOG
3) Don't know.
4) the previous poster is incorrect. SOG guests noq have to pay for parking at all the parks.

Sorry, guess they changed this or I'm not thinking right. I hardly ever do this anymore just use the resort transportion.. :upsidedow

Just stayed last weekend
1) Parking is $5 a nite
2) Yes to EMH
3) Sorry don't know
4)Parking at the parks is no longer free for SOG guests.

Just stayed last weekend
1) Parking is $5 a nite
2) Yes to EMH
3) Sorry don't know
4)Parking at the parks is no longer free for SOG guests.

Sad that they changed the free parking at the parks..:( Don't see any difference in SOG and any other resort.. wonder why they done this????:rolleyes2

I can answer the spa question- we had massages there in November. It wasn't one of the best I've had but it was better than most. I liked mine better than my husband liked his.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter