SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

So excited, we're booking our next trip in the morning. Hubby is a police officer so we had to wait to get his vacation dates approved. We're booking 3 rooms because my inlaws are going as well as BiL and Sil and nephews. We loved the SoG when we stayed 2 years ago.
My FiL is a Vietnam vet who suffers panic attacks and he's leary to fly, he wants to take the train - anyone have any experience with it? I would much rather fly.
My hubby and I were both in the Navy and thank God we didn't come out with issues like my FiL did. So sad :(

You may want to look into the Auto Train. It goes from Lorton VA (just south of DC) to Sanford FL (just north of Orlando.) They let you take your car on the train. It is an over night trip so you sleep on the train. You can pay extra for a sleeper car, but we just slept in the coach seats when we went. It is really nice to have your car in Disney. It saves you from having to get a rental car or shuttle. It was a really fun and relaxing way to get to Disney.

I may sound silly but at some of the other resorts I know they decorate the windows or doors...Does anyone at Shades of Green do this?! This is my DS's FIRST trip so I want to make it special!

I've never seen any doors decorated at SOG I know people do it at the values and mods sometimes, but its not something I've ever seen at any of the deluxe resorts. I mean I'm not sure any of the staff members would take things off the door if you put them there, but it's certainly not something that I think is done often at SOG.

If yo want to make it extra special I'd suggest just decorating inside your room, maybe have someone stay with your son in the lobby and go up ahead of time and decorate your room (with ballons, confetti, special disney presents, etc.) then when your son enters the room it'll be super exciting for him!

You may want to look into the Auto Train. It goes from Lorton VA (just south of DC) to Sanford FL (just north of Orlando.) They let you take your car on the train. It is an over night trip so you sleep on the train. You can pay extra for a sleeper car, but we just slept in the coach seats when we went. It is really nice to have your car in Disney. It saves you from having to get a rental car or shuttle. It was a really fun and relaxing way to get to Disney.

This reminded me to let you know that if you do take your car/autotrain. That it's 5 dollars a day to park in the Shades of Green parking garage and then I think 14 dollars for each theme park if you plan on driving to the parks each day.

I've never seen any doors decorated at SOG I know people do it at the values and mods sometimes, but its not something I've ever seen at any of the deluxe resorts. I mean I'm not sure any of the staff members would take things off the door if you put them there, but it's certainly not something that I think is done often at SOG.

If yo want to make it extra special I'd suggest just decorating inside your room, maybe have someone stay with your son in the lobby and go up ahead of time and decorate your room (with ballons, confetti, special disney presents, etc.) then when your son enters the room it'll be super exciting for him!

Ditto. SOG has a nice, serene, feel. It's really a nice escape from the chaos and the excitement of the parks.

So excited, we're booking our next trip in the morning. Hubby is a police officer so we had to wait to get his vacation dates approved. We're booking 3 rooms because my inlaws are going as well as BiL and Sil and nephews. We loved the SoG when we stayed 2 years ago.
My FiL is a Vietnam vet who suffers panic attacks and he's leary to fly, he wants to take the train - anyone have any experience with it? I would much rather fly.
My hubby and I were both in the Navy and thank God we didn't come out with issues like my FiL did. So sad :(

My hubby and I have flown, driven and taken the train from Baltimore. We prefer to drive. The train is fine, if you opt for the sleeper car. But it takes too long for us. Our trip took about 22 hours due to various delays. Driving takes about 17 hours and we have the freedom of stopping whenever we want, getting fresh air, more options for eating and, if we get tired, we can stop and sleep in real beds.

But, no matter how you get there ... you will have a total blast! Shades won't let you down.

I posted on the restaurant thread but maybe someone here can help...

Does anyone know if the buffet restaurant still has theme nights and the schedule? When we were there August 2011 DD loved the carnival night and DH and I loved one of the others but we can't remember it. And can we eat there if we are not staying at Shades of Green? (My dad who is retired military will not be with us this trip and we have only eaten there when we were staying there)

I posted on the restaurant thread but maybe someone here can help...

Does anyone know if the buffet restaurant still has theme nights and the schedule? When we were there August 2011 DD loved the carnival night and DH and I loved one of the others but we can't remember it. And can we eat there if we are not staying at Shades of Green? (My dad who is retired military will not be with us this trip and we have only eaten there when we were staying there)

They do still have theme nights. They have a facebook page and usually post it a few months ahead of time. Also, I don't believe you can eat at SOG if you aren't staying there and/or military/retired military person is not with you.

question - we have a one night stay booked for June and I'll need to buy APs. Something I read on Steve's military tips site said that SOG will email asking about tickets prior to a stay? Is that right?

Do I pay for parking on check-in for that night?
Any reviews on the breakfast buffet? I am considering paying OOP on check out for breakfast before checking into AKL for a week.

We also have a week booked in December at SOG, so I plan to check it out as much as possible.

question - we have a one night stay booked for June and I'll need to buy APs. Something I read on Steve's military tips site said that SOG will email asking about tickets prior to a stay? Is that right?

Do I pay for parking on check-in for that night?
Any reviews on the breakfast buffet? I am considering paying OOP on check out for breakfast before checking into AKL for a week.

We also have a week booked in December at SOG, so I plan to check it out as much as possible.

Yes, the email you to buy tickets prior to your stay, but I'm not sure you'll be able to buy your APs as SOG isn't an official disney ticket counter.

They'll ask you about a car- they'll just add the cost into your total.

The breakfast buffet is fine. We've never had trouble with it. Service can be lousy (and we have gotten up to get food and come back to our table being cleared or having someone else sitting at our table....)

Yes, the email you to buy tickets prior to your stay, but I'm not sure you'll be able to buy your APs as SOG isn't an official disney ticket counter.

They'll ask you about a car- they'll just add the cost into your total.

The breakfast buffet is fine. We've never had trouble with it. Service can be lousy (and we have gotten up to get food and come back to our table being cleared or having someone else sitting at our table....)

Good to know...we'll have someone stay at the table while we take turns at the buffet. Thanks for the info on the car.

It looks like (from the SOG website) they do sell the vouchers for APs. I know I'll have to activate them, but I'd rather not stand in that line at SOG if I can avoid it...LOL.

Good to know...we'll have someone stay at the table while we take turns at the buffet. Thanks for the info on the car.

It looks like (from the SOG website) they do sell the vouchers for APs. I know I'll have to activate them, but I'd rather not stand in that line at SOG if I can avoid it...LOL.

Well, you don't have to go that far - the place is empty most mornings, which is why it was so surprising when both situations happened to us. LOL.

Oh and the online order is simply a PDF document that you fill out and email back. But a real person looks at it - so if you have questions you just talk to that one real live person through email. I don't see APs on the form anywhere but I'm sure they'll be able to help you especially if they do sell the vouchers. :)

this was the form I received http://www.shadesofgreen.org/RevisedPreorderTicketForm2.pdf

Is Steve's military tips on the disboards or a website? Sounds like a great source of info.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/

We've never had our table cleared while we've been up at the buffet. But we probably always leave a personal item. Usually sun glasses since we always leave right after breakfast without going back to our room. Generally we only eat the Shades buffet when its part of a special and we get it free and it does get pretty busy for breakfast. We've finished and walked past a lobby full of people waiting for a table. We usually pass on the supper buffet even if it's free.

Sigh! We stayed at YC for our last visit and now my parents don't want to return to SOG because they love the Epcot location so much. Guess we'll have to wait until our next solo trip to return...or until they stop offering military discounts at the regular Disney resorts. I will admit that I love the Epcot/HS location as well but I love the prices at SOG and the relaxing feel. Dying to go back now that they have renovated (or are still renovating?) the pools.

Sigh! We stayed at YC for our last visit and now my parents don't want to return to SOG because they love the Epcot location so much. Guess we'll have to wait until our next solo trip to return...or until they stop offering military discounts at the regular Disney resorts. I will admit that I love the Epcot/HS location as well but I love the prices at SOG and the relaxing feel. Dying to go back now that they have renovated (or are still renovating?) the pools.

the next time we go to Disney our family won't need the added room and ability to have each kid have their own bed /couch, that we love so much about SOG's rooms. Whenever it is going to be next I'm sure we'll only have our son with us.

So my head says stay at SOG again, because we love how convenient it is, how roomy, how quiet, how cheap. My heart keeps saying "there are so many beautiful places we could stay...." I'm so torn.

the next time we go to Disney our family won't need the added room and ability to have each kid have their own bed /couch, that we love so much about SOG's rooms. Whenever it is going to be next I'm sure we'll only have our son with us.

So my head says stay at SOG again, because we love how convenient it is, how roomy, how quiet, how cheap. My heart keeps saying "there are so many beautiful places we could stay...." I'm so torn.

We love SOG and stay there most of the time.. If they renew the military discount we are stayin in WL in Dec to celebrate our 30th anniversary.. If not its back home at SOG..::yes::

DOES anyone know if you can upgrade the Magic Your Way park passes you can purchase at a discount at SOG to a DVC annual pass? Since they are cheaper than gate price and no tax....it would save us on the upgrade to a DVC pass. I know people buy park passes at Under Cover Tourist because they are cheaper than gate price...then they use the ticket ONCE...then get the upgrade and Disney will bring that discounted park ticket up to grade price and apply that value to the upgrade so you save more. We can't get the special salute tickets for our trip in March...they have the dates blacked out this year. :( Last year.....they only blacked MK out the week of Easter. Anyway....since we will have to plunk down some bigger money for tickets for this trip....we my as well upgrade to DVC and if we can save some money by starting out with SOG MYW park passes....I would like to do that. THANKS for any advice/tips.

The fam and I are planning our trip in July and are going to be staying at SoG. We are hoping to do the Red, White and Blue package that includes breakfast and dinner. How are these buffets? I'm thinking about just getting them and if anything have nicer lunches planned in the parks.

Also, for those that have stayed in the past, we will be renting a car since we are driving from Jacksonville. Is it better to just drive to the parks or wait for the busses? And just how far is the walk to the Polynesian to grab the monorail there?

So much to think about and I am just getting started! DH just surprised me with this idea a few weeks ago since we have a possible free airflight down there so long as the sequester doesn't ruin it. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter