The NEW NEW Official Shades of Green Information (YouTube Video Info in 1st Post)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by jusero, Apr 19, 2012.

1. abolanwoski

abolanwoski Not mean, just says what others are thinking!

Not sure what you mean by "scan" but at the AAFES, they will ask to see your mil id (whether you look 19 or 190!) and even if you have a valid state ID/DL that shows you are of purchasing age, you cannot buy at AAFES without a mil ID. This probably has something to do with the lack of sin tax (in addition to sales tax) charged to the military on "vice" products like alcohol and cigarettes.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. jusero

jusero DIS Veteran

Thanks Robin! And I want to hear all about your cruise next year. We want to do the exact same thing some time in the future and would love to pick your brains. :wave2: Are you doing cruise first, then parks or parks first, then cruise? I have been going back and forth on which way to do it. :confused3

4. emksmama

emksmama Mouseketeer

So excited to find a SoG thread!!! This is our first ever Disney trip (well, I went in 1986, but really that doesn't count as I was 15), and we are staying here July 22-27. Dad's retired USAF and there will be 7-9 of us going...SO excited!!

Until I came here, I didn't realize that SoG is ON Disney property, is that right? I knew it was close, but just thought it was nearby. Here's my question. This trip is a surprise to our girls, they think we are going to Michigan with Grammy & Grandpa. (Haven't quite figured out how to keep my 8 & 9 year olds from figuring it out as we drive from central Indiana to Florida...) We would prefer they not know we're at Disney until we board the shuttle bus the next morning to go to MK. Am I crazy to think they won't realize it?

Obviously they'll know we're in Florida when we stop at the state line welcome center (I want my free OJ!!), but we went to Ft Myers Beach last summer, so that's where we thought we'd tell them we're going this year too. Or will they see Disney signs when we arrive at SoG?

5. buffettgirl

buffettgirl The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet.

they actually scan the bar code thingy on the back of the ID.

nope, you go through a HUGE welcome to Disney thing right over the road. And after that point, all the road signs are Disney signs. And there is a giant Mickey in SOGs lobby. And there will be nothing but Disney roadsigns for miles and miles before you even get there. I'm not sure how they'd not realize they were in Florida...

But..what if Dad is driving and "OOPS took a wrong turn! I wonder what's down THIS road...Oh hey, what's that sign say????? "

6. jusero

jusero DIS Veteran

I agree with buffetgirl. Once you turn into Disney property, the gig is up. :lmao: Not only will you go through a huge welcome to Disney World arch, but there will be directional signs to the various parks all along the way. Plus, you will start seeing Disney World highway signs before you even get there. Maybe you can keep them preoccupied until you get to the World, but once you are there ... :lmao:

Anyway, you will have fun seeing their faces as they realize where they are. And welcome to Shades too! It is a beautiful resort and is right across the street from the Polynesian where you can walk to and catch the monorail, if you want.

7. PrincessSuzanne

PrincessSuzanne <font color=red>Guess I will be eating crow tonigh

I don't think you can get on Disney Property anywhere without going under the Welcome signs, you won't even get a chance to get to SoG without them knowing

8. kidsrfun

kidsrfun Mouseketeer

I agree with the others that the girls will know long before you get to SOG. We have done a few surprise trips for our kids. Even if you can't wait till the last minute to find out, you can always find a fun and special way to tell them!! :thumbsup2 One time we wrote the kids letters and made a scavenger hunt for them. Each item that they found was related to the trip or disney in general. Last year, for my adult daughter-in-law, we made a DVD for Christmas (the trip was MLK weekend). My husband and I were Mr and Mrs Claus. The DVD was TWENTY minutes long and we hinted about the trip for the first 15!! She was SO SHOCKED. We have it all on video. It was a fantastic surprise! For your girls, you could either tell them before you leave, or when you get to Florida, or give them something in the car like a letter, or little Disney gifts as hints, or make a dvd if you have a player in your car. No matter what, you can make the surprise special :thumbsup2:cool1::thumbsup2:cool1::thumbsup2

Keep us posted on how it goes. You'll love SOG and WDW is always MAGICAL! pixiedust:

9. sherette7769

sherette7769 Masquerading as a normal person day after day is e

Right there with you ... I've taken the whole week to try to recoup from our trip. Guess I need to add a down day in the middle of our week next time :rotfl:

10. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

I'm so glad there is a new SoG thread! Thanks for starting one. :) We will be at SoG in September, and I can't wait! It seems like forever away, but the time is actually going pretty quickly. We are surprising the kids and I hope I don't slip up over the summer.

Can you see any of the high-up fireworks from there too or just hear them?

11. Piglet4Ever

Piglet4Ever <font color="navy">Navy Wife, toughest job in the

Awesome! I found my way here. We love SOG :)

12. Chris2597

Chris2597 DIS Veteran

Thank you for starting this new thread. We will be at Disney and staying at SOG in about 6 weeks.
    I think there is one correction to the info page of this thread....post #1. The car rental agency is Alamo, unless it has been changed to Hertz within the last couple of weeks.
    How are the restaurants at SOG? I have read that the full service restaurants are very slow.
    How long does it take to walk from SOG to the monorail at the Polynesian?

13. Angel16

Angel16 <b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu

Thank you for the PM to lead me over here. :goodvibes

We are getting so excited about our upcoming trip!

Angel16

14. robin19871

robin19871 DIS Veteran

You actually can see them very well from that location..(Up high that is) I would suggest sitting around the Magnolia pool for the fireworks for a tree free view..:thumbsup2

15. robin19871

robin19871 DIS Veteran

The car rental is Alamo and located right in the front lobby. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the Polynesian when walking from Shades.. We also walked one day from the TTC.. There is a path through the Poly to the TTC that adds on an extra 5 minutes to get directly to the Monorail.. (Epcot)

16. buffettgirl

buffettgirl The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet.

the walk is about 1/2 a mile. So not a bad walk if you do that. We found that 90% of the time we just waited for a TTC bus from Shades unless we really had a lot of energy that day (in the summer it's hot, even in the morning) or if we were REALLY trying to rope drop at Epcot. And sometimes at night the kids just didn't want to deal with waiting for a bus or dealing with the crowds so we just walked and it wasn't horrible.

The restaurants suck mostly. Breakfast at the Garden Gallery is still fine but everything else - pretty much horrible. Take out from the window by the buses is totally fine (good muffins at breakfast and good selection of fruit, yogurt, etc), and there is a tiny window on the golf course next to the quiet pool which also has good food (italian sausage sandwich was great!) , but otherwise, plan your food elsewhere.

17. mmtska

mmtska I dreamed of a wish and it came true!

I'm just going to fix somethings in color :)

18. AlwaysMoving

AlwaysMoving DIS Veteran

I think I also remember hearing someone report there is a new mug program at SOG, although poorly comparable to the Disney hotels. Pay a fee, then each refill is something like a dollar?????

19. jusero

jusero DIS Veteran

Thanks! I cut and pasted to page 1.

20. jusero

jusero DIS Veteran

Can anyone tell me how far in advance Shades sends out the ticket order forms? :confused3 I thought it was two weeks, but I am just 10 days out and have not gotten mine yet and just wondered if I should call them. Thanks!

I really love the part about the 10 days. :banana:

21. jaz0308

jaz0308 Mouseketeer

Hi! What a great thread! I just have a few questions...
    1. what are ticket order forms? Do I need to do this before I go to SOG? Thought I could just go to the counter and buy them. Glad I saw that if I need to do something first!

2. I see that it is a 10-5 min. walk to Poly/ttc. Is this walk well marked and is it on a sidewalk or road? Will be walking with two kiddies in strollers so want to make sure it is a safe way to go!

3. Was thinking of requesting room near lobby to make it easier to get in/out to parks. Has anyone stayed there recently and would you recommend this area? More concerned about convenience to transportation than pool but also want a quiet area.

thank you so much for any info you can give me! Can't wait for our trip this summer!