SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Awesome - thank you!

Another question... Does anyone know - can I purchase the military tickets (I know they aren't released for next year yet, but when/if they are), I can purchase them by calling SoG at any time, right? And to do FPs, I have to have them purchased at least 30 days (preferably more) before our arrival date? Then SoG will hold them there for us, Correct? There is just so much to know about staying at SoG now, compared to other resorts, it would be nice if we could have an FAQ about it. :)

TIA! :)

D~

Shades of Green will actually send you an email about two months out to pre-order your tickets. I've never done this before because we live on a military base and I can just go to the ITT and grab the tickets, so I'm not sure they give you the voucher numbers to link to MDE, maybe someone can chime in with their experience with ordering the tickets.

However, since SOG is not Disney-owned unfortunately guests cannot make Fastpass+ reservations more than 30 days out from their first park day. You must also make your reservations at 1am EST each night (everyone says midnight, but my experience it didn't open until 1am EST), you cannot make them all in one booking unless you choose to wait until your last day opens up, which your fastpasses will be severely limited. I would prefer Disney and SOG to get on their game and offer us 60 day FP+ (they offer it to Swan and Dolphin and they're not owned by Disney!:headache:).

Shades of green is an amazing resort though with the few cons that it does come with (no free parking, FP+ only 30 days out).

Shades of Green will actually send you an email about two months out to pre-order your tickets. I've never done this before because we live on a military base and I can just go to the ITT and grab the tickets, so I'm not sure they give you the voucher numbers to link to MDE, maybe someone can chime in with their experience with ordering the tickets.

However, since SOG is not Disney-owned unfortunately guests cannot make Fastpass+ reservations more than 30 days out from their first park day. You must also make your reservations at 1am EST each night (everyone says midnight, but my experience it didn't open until 1am EST), you cannot make them all in one booking unless you choose to wait until your last day opens up, which your fastpasses will be severely limited. I would prefer Disney and SOG to get on their game and offer us 60 day FP+ (they offer it to Swan and Dolphin and they're not owned by Disney!:headache:).

Shades of green is an amazing resort though with the few cons that it does come with (no free parking, FP+ only 30 days out).

Thank you. :) Yes, it's such a bummer that we have to wait until 30 days out, since I normally stay on Disney property - this is a hard one to swallow... but regardless - this won't be our first trip, or our last... So we will make the most of what we can do. :) I am more concerned about our dining reservations... There are some that I'd really like to get, but I am certain I am going to have to stalk for them, I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get them right away. :scratchin

Dd and I are so excited to stay at SoG again though... We loved it when we stayed there in 2008, and now with the updated pools, I think it's going to be even better. ::yes::

D~

They will send you a copy of the actual tickets you will receive when you check in and you use those numbers to link with MDE. You have to assign them to each person to make your FP+. Then I brought the copy with us to activate the tickets so I knew which ticket would go with each person.
We had 3 people and 6 tickets, 2 4 day tickets each for 8 days. When we got to the park to active the tickets, Since we still hadn't decided about MagicBands I asked them to give us each 1 8 day pass each instead of having the 6 tickets. We did decide by the MagicBands and liked them.

We had no issues with only booking at 30 days. Then only FP+ I couldn't get was for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train so we stood in line, not a big deal. Our times were sort of late in the day but if you stop at a FP kiosk they can help you switch times.

DMGeurts, if you don't receive the email about purchasing tickets make sure you do contact them. That's what my daughter had to do last year. She had to call SOG for the ticket order form. Also make sure that you write on the order form that you want the ticket numbers listed on your receipt so you can reserve FP. If you don't let them know you just might get a receipt without the numbers. From what I've read on this board, they don't necessarily include the numbers on your receipt. Better safe than sorry.

DMGeurts, if you don't receive the email about purchasing tickets make sure you do contact them. That's what my daughter had to do last year. She had to call SOG for the ticket order form. Also make sure that you write on the order form that you want the ticket numbers listed on your receipt so you can reserve FP. If you don't let them know you just might get a receipt without the numbers. From what I've read on this board, they don't necessarily include the numbers on your receipt. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you very much... :). There's just so much to remember, I sure hope I don't forget anything. Lol

D~

We checked in this afternoon after 3 days at AKL and the rooms are HUGE by comparison. We have 5th floor Palm Wing. We debated doing AKL at the beginning or end and I'm really happy we did beginning.

View from the balcony:

Liz

Super excited! Just booked my daughter's graduation trip... SoG released discounts for our preferred dates in January, so instead of staying for 6 nights, we are staying for 8 - and we still save! :woohoo:

We have not stayed at SoG since 2008, so we are excited to go back!

Question: I forgot to add my room request to my initial booking, is there a place to add that now? Or do I need to call? <----- Too excited to actually see a discount for our dates. :ROFL:

Thanks for all of the recent reviews too. :)

D~

We're staying at SoG in a little over 2 weeks... I emailed them with our room requests. They responded the next day. I found this easier than trying to call, mainly because being on the left side of the country, by the time I remember to call ....they are usually already closed.

I'll try to remember to come back here, and let you know if they were able to honor our requests.
Enjoy your trip.

Awesome - thank you!

Another question... Does anyone know - can I purchase the military tickets (I know they aren't released for next year yet, but when/if they are), I can purchase them by calling SoG at any time, right? And to do FPs, I have to have them purchased at least 30 days (preferably more) before our arrival date? Then SoG will hold them there for us, Correct? There is just so much to know about staying at SoG now, compared to other resorts, it would be nice if we could have an FAQ about it. :)

TIA! :)

D~

If you are staying at SOG you will receive an email from them about 45 days prior to your check in date. There will be instructions and print outs enclosed in the email regarding ticket purchases. You can fill out the ticket form and fax it back to them. Once processed, they will send you an email that includes your ticket numbers so you can link them to MDE prior to your 30 day window. When you check in at SOG you will receive your actual tickets .

We just returned from a terrific stay at SOG with extended family, and I have a mini review. If anyone is on the fence about staying at Shades versus a Disney resort, all I can say is we would not hesitate to book another stay at SOG. We had requested adjoining rooms in the Palm wing, and our request was honored. The rooms were spacious and immaculate, and we were very impressed with housekeeping throughout our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The two pool rehabs were fantastic. The zero entry pool was beautifully done, and the new slide at Mickey pool was awesome, as well as the new kids splash area, and playground. Lifeguards were very attentive, and free life jackets were available at both pools. The kids loved the pools so much they actually asked to leave the parks to go back to the resort! I have to say that Shades really hit it out of the ball park with the pool/ playground improvements. We all enjoyed The Java Cafe in the in the lobby, and the ice cream was a wonderful treat. We had one buffet dinner on carnival night at the Garden Gallery and while the food was not outstanding, it was acceptable. The buffet was very family friendly with cotton candy, candy apples, popcorn and a balloon artist, and we had such fun. The gift shop/ exchange was great for picking up Disney related items, and they had quite a large selection of costumes for the little ones. We did not use SOG transportation; we walked over to the Poly each morning to get an early start, so I cannot comment on Shades busses. Not one person in our group had any complaints, We truly enjoyed the recent improvements, and we hope to return next year.

I have a question about purchasing the park tickets before you get there. The order form was mentioned and someone said to fax it back. How do you pay for the tickets? Do you include your credit card info on the form?

As for staying at SOG--it used to be almost impossible to get reservations. Before the internet reservations you could check availability online, then call. Before that you just had to call. I remember trying on several occasions and the place was always booked. I think availability has opened up now that Disney is offering room discounts with their Salute offers. I've visited SOG to get tickets, but never stayed there. We have our first stay booked this coming November.

I have a question about purchasing the park tickets before you get there. The order form was mentioned and someone said to fax it back. How do you pay for the tickets? Do you include your credit card info on the form?

As for staying at SOG--it used to be almost impossible to get reservations. Before the internet reservations you could check availability online, then call. Before that you just had to call. I remember trying on several occasions and the place was always booked. I think availability has opened up now that Disney is offering room discounts with their Salute offers. I've visited SOG to get tickets, but never stayed there. We have our first stay booked this coming November.

Yes, your credit card # is written on the form. There is a very quick turn around time; we received our ticket numbers the day after we faxed the form. Back in the days before the Palm wing addition, it was more difficult to get a room, but the resort does fill up during busy seasons. I have found that it is still better to call when making reservations.

I haven't visited this thread (or even the board itself) in a loooong time. We went to Disney in July 2012 ... my very first time ever (& I was born in Orlando, how crazy is that!) .... we went with my in laws & stayed at Shades of Green. Had never heard of it ... & my MIL planned the whole trip .... I thought it was great, but really had nothing to compare it to. We just decided about a week ago to go back in July of 2016 & we will be staying at SoG again. My MIL is the best trip planner ... she has been everywhere .... & she said it's still the best value. I don't care where we stay, to me it's a place to eat & sleep. And we all loved the buffet .... especially breakfast. Boys and their endless bacon ...... need I say more?

DH and I will be staying at SOG in Oct with our two grandchildren who will be 5 and 7 yrs old. I am not sure what if any requests that I should make. I don't want to be far from which ever pool is best for kids their age. Also everyone seems to like the Palm wing, why is that? The only thing I know for sure is that I want an upper level floor and a pretty view. So what should I request?

If you need to be close to the pools you should request the Magnolia wing. This is is original part of the resort; the Palm wing was a later addition. The Magnolia rooms are slightly different, I know there is a small partitioned wall that separates the pullout sofa from the room. I don't think we've ever had a bad view at Shades; you are either looking out on the golf course, the pools, or the pretty courtyard with ponds and gazebo. The Palm wing is nice and quiet, but further from the pools, yet we had no problem getting to and from the pools with four children in tow. The Palm wing is also closer to the parking garage. We were just there last week and our rooms, on the top floor of the Palm wing, had a lovely views of the MK fireworks.

I am brand new to this thread. I am in the very beginning stages of planning a 3rd birthday/finished kindergarten trip.

While I think we'll enjoy the property, this will be our first trip not 100% on property. My rational brain knows that the trade offs for SoG are worth it but my Disneyfried brain isn't convinced.

I am ~55 week out still so there is plenty of time for me to learn all the ins and outs. I am excited to be planning a new trip

I am brand new to this thread. I am in the very beginning stages of planning a 3rd birthday/finished kindergarten trip.

While I think we'll enjoy the property, this will be our first trip not 100% on property. My rational brain knows that the trade offs for SoG are worth it but my Disneyfried brain isn't convinced.

I am ~55 week out still so there is plenty of time for me to learn all the ins and outs. I am excited to be planning a new trip

Welcome to the SOG thread. I think many of us have felt the same way; what will I be giving up by not staying at a Disney resort. It is a big decision for sure, especially now that FP+ is a factor. If it will make you feel better, we had a 3 year old with us at SOG last month. He loved the new splash pad/pools so much, we had trouble getting him to leave the resort to go to the parks. Booking FP+ at 30 days out turned out better than expected. The only FP we could not get was for the super popular A&E meet & greet, but by doing rope drop, we only had a short wait to see them. Happy planning!:)

Anyone else see the pics of the renovated rooms in the Palm wing today on FB? Getting excited for our June trip!

Staying at Shades IS 100% on property. We've stayed at a couple Disney properties and Shades and when at Shades we don't miss the lack of "Disney Feel". For my family it is really nice to escape back to Shades and it's tranquility :)

We didn't think FP+ system was a problem either. Only thing we didn't get was 7D Mine Train so we just stood in line.

We are planning to stay at SOG in October. I saw on the website today that they have a promotion of up to 30% off rooms at SOG with free breakfast. I don't see the discount when I try to book online though. I don't see a code to enter either. Do I have to call to get the promotional price?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter