SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We are taking a last minute trip the coast. DH wants to take kids to KSC and Shades has tickets less expensive. Can we go to Shades and visit the ITT office and maybe have lunch?? I have always had a reservation in the past.

Trying to book April 27 to May 2. One night (thursday) is booked up. Only large suite available. Anyone cancelling that week pm me? Four days left to 30 day window for cancellations. Last minute, I know but got great flights so....

Oddly enough we booked these exact dates a few days ago. The website showed no availability but when we called there was room. I think their website is wonky sometimes.

We are taking a last minute trip the coast. DH wants to take kids to KSC and Shades has tickets less expensive. Can we go to Shades and visit the ITT office and maybe have lunch?? I have always had a reservation in the past.

You'll need your Military ID at the security checkpoint and to buy your tickets. Other than that you should be fine.

I saw some talk about Evergreens not having food. That confuses me because we sat with our DS last October while they ate a late dinner on their arrival day. (We were staying elsewhere and were on the Disney Dining Plan) It was typical "bar" food but they seemed to enjoy it. Have they stopped that since October?

Looking forward to our upcoming visit!

Liz

Snagged my reservations this morning. Already had a flight booked so I am relieved. See you April 27th! Now to update the timeline signature...

We were there in December and they were serving food at Evergreens. You can view the menu on the SoG website. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/EVERGREENS_web.pdf

Thanks! We usually just have breakfast at Shades but it is good to know there are additional options still available.

Snagged my reservations this morning. Already had a flight booked so I am relieved. See you April 27th! Now to update the timeline signature...

Glad you got your dates! Here's to hoping it isn't crazy hot in late April! pixiedust: I might just have to check out the new pool if it is.

Liz

We're considering a stay at Shades in September of next year. Hopefully they'll be running the same special they have this year, with the free breakfast buffet. I've read that the buffet can get crowded and slow. Has anyone had issues making it to park opening after the buffet breakfast? We'll have two toddlers with us and want to get to the parks early every day.

Yes you can visit, buy tickets and stay for lunch.

We're considering a stay at Shades in September of next year. Hopefully they'll be running the same special they have this year, with the free breakfast buffet. I've read that the buffet can get crowded and slow. Has anyone had issues making it to park opening after the buffet breakfast? We'll have two toddlers with us and want to get to the parks early every day.

My experience is that it takes longer to get seated (folks tend to line up before the restaurant opens in the mornings) than it does to actually eat. Luckily we usually don't rush around anymore so the wait isn't a big deal for us. Both the Quick Service counter and the buffet open at 7 am so you "should" be able to make rope drops and/or Magic Hours. I actually prefer arriving about 15 minutes after park opening so I'm not standing in another line!

The Sunrise Special isn't exactly a "free" breakfast. They add a slight amount onto the cost of the room, in our case $16 per night. It could be different for each Rank/Category that Shades has. We've also asked for and gotten it even when it wasn't an advertised special.

Hope this helps!

Liz

I would have to say that any meals that we have had at SOG are rather slow. You will find that Shades is NOT in hyperdrive like Disney restaurants who need to move people out quickly; in comparison, Shades is very laid back. If you have a non park day, breakfast would be fine, otherwise I would grab breakfast elsewhere to save time.

Both the Quick Service counter and the buffet open at 7 am so you "should" be able to make rope drops and/or Magic Hours. I actually prefer arriving about 15 minutes after park opening so I'm not standing in another line!
That's actually a great idea. Everyone stresses getting there super early, but I wonder if standing around the entrance wouldn't backfire with a two year old and a three year old. Especially now that there's no running to grab fast passes.

One thing I remember from Disney resorts from my last trip (in 1998 :o) was how mousekeeping would arrange our stuffed animals and make towel animals. Does housekeeping at Shades get in the spirit? Are there trip reports from the resort so we can know what to expect? I've read all the MilitaryDisneyTips pages. I just love to see as many opinions as possible. :)

We were there in December and no towel animals. I don't know about arranging stuffed animals, we didn't have any. Housekeeping was very friendly though.

Thank you! I'm not sure how much of the "magic" we're going to miss. But I can always arrange the Tinkerbell Gifts for the littles, so they won't even know the difference. It's such a great deal for the resort, even with a little less magic. It seems like such a relaxing place. The kiddos are going to love the pool with the splash area!

What it lacks in towel animals, it more than makes up for in quietness, cleanliness, room size, price, etc. Your kids aren't going to notice anything unless you point it out to them.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm not sure how much of the "magic" we're going to miss. But I can always arrange the Tinkerbell Gifts for the littles, so they won't even know the difference. It's such a great deal for the resort, even with a little less magic. It seems like such a relaxing place. The kiddos are going to love the pool with the splash area!

There is also the Exchange (BX,PX depending on military branch ;) with greatly reduced prices for the little pirates and princesses! We don't have little ones so I can't help with the towel animals. Also if your little one is a Tinker Bell fan, be sure to ask the Cast Photographers to take "Tink" pictures in the parks. There is a pose for her sitting in your hand for each park. :tinker:I'll see if I can dig one up from our October trip. I'm actually considering getting the Memory Maker again for the April trip. I've framed so many from the last trip that to me it is worth it.

What it lacks in towel animals, it more than makes up for in quietness, cleanliness, room size, price, etc. Your kids aren't going to notice anything unless you point it out to them.

Totally agree with this! These are the largest rooms on Disney property excluding suites. The savings on the room can help make a Magical Moment somewhere else!pixiedust: For us, its all about the food.

Liz

PS here is a picture. Not one of the best but I'll look for some more.

Thanks! We usually just have breakfast at Shades but it is good to know there are additional options still available.

Glad you got your dates! Here's to hoping it isn't crazy hot in late April! pixiedust: I might just have to check out the new pool if it is.

Liz
Well the ten day forecast shows temps in the 90s. I can deal with a LITTLE less heat. It's snowing right now in Buffalo! Pool might be an option down there.

Hi. My name is Sarah and I'm new here. Just wanted to pop in and say Im stalking this thread. Seems to be less info on sog than any other disney resort. Not sure why but I'm hopeful I can learn allot before booking at my year out window in December (I've got a long wait ahead of me before we get to experience some disney magic :( )

Hi. My name is Sarah and I'm new here. Just wanted to pop in and say Im stalking this thread. Seems to be less info on sog than any other disney resort. Not sure why but I'm hopeful I can learn allot before booking at my year out window in December (I've got a long wait ahead of me before we get to experience some disney magic :( )
The pool of people who can stay at SOG is far smaller than the pool of people who can stay at a WDW resort. And of those people eligible, only a small fraction stay there. But that is why m any of us like SOG - it's quiet, it's relaxed and it's got things to offer that other WDW resorts don't. It also lacks some things that WDW resorts have, but for many of us, SOG fits the bill.

The pool of people who can stay at SOG is far smaller than the pool of people who can stay at a WDW resort. And of those people eligible, only a small fraction stay there. But that is why m any of us like SOG - it's quiet, it's relaxed and it's got things to offer that other WDW resorts don't. It also lacks some things that WDW resorts have, but for many of us, SOG fits the bill.
All were looking for is a reasonably priced place to rest our head in the evening :) a pool is a plus :) we like the idea of quiet hallways and such. Sog seems to fit the bill for us. I cant really understand why more eligible people dont utilize it! My brother was excited at cheap, large rooms He could secure due toto his service :)

All were looking for is a reasonably priced place to rest our head in the evening :) a pool is a plus :) we like the idea of quiet hallways and such. Sog seems to fit the bill for us. I cant really understand why more eligible people dont utilize it! My brother was excited at cheap, large rooms He could secure due toto his service :)
Many people simply don't know about it. And even when they do know about it, they somehow assume it's going to take away from their Disney experience. And they don't understand that it literally is on property.

Many people simply don't know about it. And even when they do know about it, they somehow assume it's going to take away from their Disney experience. And they don't understand that it literally is on property.

No offense to anyone, as I think SOG is great resource and cost effective and as a military family of 23 years, we are well aware of it.

But, for us, just us, we don't utilize it, because partly, we want to escape the military while on vacation. I know that doesn't make sense to a lot of people, and we would never diminish anyone else's decision on where they stay, it's just us. We live on base, we shop the comm and exchange, right before we take our next trip this August, my husband will be returning from a deployment. So, staying at a Disney resort, is just a bit of escapism for us. We save for it, and use the military discounted room rates. Being in the highest paying bracket for SOG, and not being able to use the DDP, it's not that much more for us to stay on "on property".

I hope you have a fabulous stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter