The New and Updated Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ Thread for 2008

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

Hi, All!

I just booked PORFQ for the first time. We've always stayed in Deluxe, villa, or the Swan/Dolphin. It will be our first moderate, but this place looks nice and I heard it's quiet and smaller than some resorts.

First thing - as far as your tea, can you use the coffee pot in the room? I do that at home (for the poster asking about a microwave). I personally have to have my coffee first thing!

Also, the cast member that booked the package for me said they don't have rollaways. I was considering an aerobed twin size so my kids don't have to sleep together. Do they have rollaways? Seems to be conflicting answers.

I was excited - got the free dining package, and our room was still a big discount - used my Disney Visa!

Any other advice for staying here? I am really looking forward to this!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

I think you'll like POFQ, as long as you don't expect room-service, turn-downs, etc! :)

I've heard from others that you can indeed use the coffee pot to get hot enough water for tea, but my DW says it's not ideal because the water doesn't get to fully boiling (we're Brits, tea-making is our thing, humour us :) ). If you want your tea made with fully boling water, pop over to the food court and get some from the dispenser there - but many people seem happy enough to use the coffee makers.

The bed issue may be a naming thing, perhaps they thought you were asking about a trundle bed? (i.e. the ones in Riverside Alligator Bayou, which 'roll away' under the main bed). You should be able to get a fold-up type bed on wheels - or least they definitely have them for the Riverside Mansion Buildings, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange if you need one.

Andre

4. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

Thanks - I'll call about the rollaway bed. Sounds nicer than an aerobed.

I have done this (please no flames, I know it's not really allowed, and I am SUPER careful) but brought a little $10 hot pot with me on trips before. It gets water to a rolling boil very quickly (thus the need to be careful and make sure it's fully cooled off afterwards). It's just a little pot, we have used it to make ramen for a quick snack for the kids. They like it, and sometimes you just want some hot soup. You can pick them up at lots of discount stores.

5. andrewilley

We have a hot pot too (or electric kettle to us Brits :) ), it's in our Owner's Locker as it's not worth carrying it back and forth to the UK. We got one with an auto-off sensor for when the water has boiled.

Andre

6. TigerKat

TigerKat DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I could help! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Yes they do.:goodvibes

7. pamouselover

pamouselover “Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbo

Do all rooms have the trundle bed? If not do you have top ay extra for it?
    Thanks, I have tried to use the cooffe pot in the rooms before, for my tea. It taste awful. :scared: I could be brittish I :love: my tea. We do have a hot shot, that I won at a christmas party last year. :idea: I dont know if we will be able to pack it, due to flying. But I will try. Thanks

8. andrewilley

Only the Riverside Alligator Bayou Rooms have trundle beds, not French Quarter. There's no extra charge for them.

Andre

9. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

There is hot water as well as teabags at the food court. Unless you prefer a flavored tea, you don't need to bring along your teabags and sugar. I used my resort mug for my tea each morning.

Deb
    POFQ, Oct. 2007

10. conny264

conny264 DIS Veteran

Hello
    I have a question and hope somebody can help me.
    At what time does the Foodcourt opens in the morning.
    I checked Allearsnet and it´s the only foodcourt without any times.

Thanks in advance
    Conny

11. andrewilley

Foodcourt should be open 6am-midnight, but not sure if all breakfast options are available at 6am (certainly at Riverside, only bakery items are available before 7am, and the selection is similarly limited to bakery and pizza/pasta after 11pm).

Andre

12. Mozart

Mozart There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me

Just got back from a few nights at POFQ combines with a trip on the cruise line. POFQ is excellent, with my only complaint being that the doors to the rooms really need to be repainted. If they're going for the beaten up French Quarter look, they're doing a really good job. It's weird, though. Only the white doors look horrible, all the ones that are colored look almost brand new.

Andre: I remember from the Scat Cat Lounge that there are definitely 2 tv's in there. If you're sitting at the bar facing Elliott Dyson there is one on each side of the room. I remember because I was watching the football games at the same time.

13. jsoren11

jsoren11 All the adversity I've had in my life, all my trou

:confused3 What are the busses like from POFQ in the AM? Is there a character breakfast bus we can get to MK, Contemporary and AK? Does it stop at POFQ first? Is it crowded usually in Feb?
    Thanks in advance

14. lucas

lucas °o°

Is there a FAQ thread for POR Riverside? I can't find it.

15. caryrae

caryrae Mouseketeer

16. lucas

lucas °o°

17. soupercb

soupercb Earning My Ears

Hi all

This is a great forum. We just booked our first trip back to WDW in 6 years after getting sidetracked with cruises. I'm so excited to be going back!

My question is, when we were there and stayed at POFQ the beds were incredibly uncomfortable. Have they changed them at all? I sure hope so!

Thanks for your help.

18. TigerKat

TigerKat DIS Veteran

Just got back and the beds were very comfortable!:goodvibes

19. BibbidiBobbidiBOO

BibbidiBobbidiBOO <font color=green>AKL is my new favorite<br><font

We are back from our third stay at POFQ, have stayed at Riverside 5 times. Love them both. I'll post some pics here a little at a time. Here are a few from this past weekend. We were in building 4, 3rd floor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the bounceback clock on table.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ruthma

ruthma WISH I WAS TINK

What was the bouceback that they were offering?

21. BibbidiBobbidiBOO

BibbidiBobbidiBOO <font color=green>AKL is my new favorite<br><font

a few more pics. These are in the foodcourt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The price of the 3 and 6 piece serving of Beignets had gone up since our visit in March.
    [​IMG]

I'll post more later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.