The Never Ending Dining Review! Feb/April 2015 Update: Cowish

librarygeek

DIS Veteran
I don't know if it will actually be never ending, but I'm finally getting around to posting my February 2015 trip dining review... and I just realized that I leave for WDW again next week! So instead of doing two separate reviews I figured I'd combine them here. The Feb. dining experiences have already happened and the April ones are yet to come, but here's a look at the places we ate or are planning to eat at:

February
T-REX
Backlot Express
Mama Melrose
Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie
Trattoria al Forno
Everything Pop
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Pinocchio's Village Haus
Be Our Guest
The Leaky Cauldron
Cowfish
Yak & Yeti

April
Captain Cook's/Trader Sam's
Pizza Planet
50's Prime Time
Flower and Garden booths
Biergarten
Sleepy Hollow
Be Our Guest
Leaning Palms

Beaches and Cream
Sanaa

Hope you'll be following along for details on the food and lots of pictures!!

Last edited:
Yaaaay I'm here! Have fun on your April trip. Can't wait to read about all of the food!

Following! I love dining reviews, and I'll be really excited to hear about Trader Sam's. I was talking about it the other day and it went on our list of places to try :)

Following! I love dining reviews, and I'll be really excited to hear about Trader Sam's. I was talking about it the other day and it went on our list of places to try :)

Honestly, Trader Sam's is probably the thing I am most excited about for my trip next week! I'm hoping the wait isn't too long.

T-REX

My new technique when doing Disney trips is not to make a dining reservation on our arrival day, because of the semi-new credit card policy. If our flight got delayed and we missed our reservation we'd get charged, and I'm not okay with that. So the original idea was to just go to Downtown Disney and maybe do Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express. But then DH mentioned that he would really like to eat at T-REX again - and I realized that because T-REX is a Landry's restaurant and you can make a reservation by calling them directly, they don't have the same credit card policy! So that's exactly where we went on our arrival day. After checking into POP and visiting the Princess Half Marathon expo, we were off to Downtown Disney and T-REX.

And yes, we are two grown adults with no children, but for some reason we just really love this place. The atmosphere is fun and their food seems to be better than Rainforest Cafe. They also have the best nachos and fun drinks! So even though I know some people aren't crazy about it, this was our third time visiting. We were seated right next to these lovely creatures - they put up a little bit of a fuss now and then!

I started with the Cosmo Paleo Cotton Candy martini (
Featuring XR Fusion Liqueur, Skyy Infusions Citrus Vodka and cranberry juice):

These cotton-tinis are so fun. You can't tell from the picture, but when they bring the glass out it's full of cotton candy. Then they pour the liquid over it and the cotton candy dissolves into the drink. So it's sweet, but this one with the vodka and cranberry balanced it out really well and it was quite tasty!

DH's drink was the
Caveman Punch - (This drink really packs a punch! A mixture of Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, banana liqueur, DeKuyper Peachtree Schnapps and tropical fruit juices):

This one is very sweet and tropical, which is what DH loves when he's on vacation! It's one of those dangerous drinks that you could just slurp down so quickly. Oh, also worth noting is that these drinks typically come in a souvenir glass for $14, but you can ask for it without the glass (we already have one anyway). So this drink cost $9 without it.

We of course had to split the Colosso Nachos (Start at the summit of this delicious colossal heap of tri-colored tortilla chips topped with seasoned group beef meted queso, black beans, pico de gallo, green onions, Cheddar cheese and sour cream):

When I checked in on facebook that we were at T-REX a lot of my Disney friends commented about the nachos, so we're not the only ones that love them! There's plenty of stuff, real cheese that they don't skimp on. It says the app is for two but it's a lot, so if you don't have a huge appetite and you're each getting your own entree it might be a bit much. We got them once with my parents and between the four of us it made a great appetizer. 9 out of 10.

Because we've found something that works for us, we got the same entree we always get to split: the Paleozoic Chicken sandwich (Fried pizza dough with grilled chicken, lettuce, bacon, Pepper Jack cheese, avocado, tomato and lemon aioli):

The fact that it's on pizza dough is fun and different, and the flavors work very well together. The pepperjack gives it a bit of spice, but the lemon aioli has a great flavor and sweetness to it. And it came with waffle fries, which was crispy and nicely seasoned. This dish gets a 8.5 out of 10.

All in all we love T-REX - or at least, the couple of things we've found that work for us! I keep saying we should try something new but it's hard! So overall the place gets a
9 out of 10 for us.

Here are prices for those interested:

Cosmo cotton-tini: $11.99
Caveman Punch: $8.99
Colosso Nachos: $16.99
Paleozoic Chicken Sandwich: $15.99

Total before tax: $53.96
Total with tax but before tip: $57.46

I do have Tables in Wonderland, but you can't use it here because it's a Landry's restaurant and not on the TiW program.

Last edited:
Can you make a reservation for T-Rex before 180 days?

I'm not sure, I've never tried. It wouldn't hurt to ask. On the other hand, I made the reservation for this trip about a week in advance and got a reservation at the time I wanted without a problem :thumbsup2

Yum! I ate at T-Rex probably 6 years ago for the first time. I remember having the nachos and splitting them with the people I was with. I know this restaurant doesn't always get rave reviews, but your food looks delicious and those drinks.. who wouldn't want a cotton candy martini!?

nice photo of the nachos...MY FAVORITE at any restaurant as long as it looks like this...thanks

Yum! I ate at T-Rex probably 6 years ago for the first time. I remember having the nachos and splitting them with the people I was with. I know this restaurant doesn't always get rave reviews, but your food looks delicious and those drinks.. who wouldn't want a cotton candy martini!?

I'm always sad when I see negative reviews since we enjoy it so much - I think maybe people are hard on it because the prices are rather high for the type of food you're getting... but we've found the portions are so huge we always split a meal!

nice photo of the nachos...MY FAVORITE at any restaurant as long as it looks like this...thanks

I love nachos and highly recommend them here!

Joining in on the never ending party ; )

Your meal and TRex pictures look great. Especially that sandwich on fried pizza dough. YUM!

Just got back from our April trip and it was great! I'll be posting my next review from February soon, but I also went back and added the counter service places we tried to the list for April :)

I'll try to get the next review up tomorrow, but in the meantime here's a little "mini review"!

Starring Rolls - Lady and the Tramp seasonal cupcake:

This was adorable and tasted quite good as well! I really liked the chocolate frosting on top, and the red velvet cake was decent if nothing outstanding. I'd give it an 8 out of 10!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter