The McSparklesons are BACK and they are CRUISIN! COMPLETE 10/4

So sweet! I'll be sending healing thoughts to Oreo! We once nursed a tiny sickly kitten for 2 weeks and I know how attached we got so fast. Those little animals give a whole lot of love. Hope she's doing better (the pig, that is!) and you go Ally :cool1: for the organized sale to your Dad!

Kara, we have two of the little critters. I just had to buy a larger cage for them since they have both plumped up so much.

My kids are good with the food, hay and water. They are less good about cleaning the cage. However, since the pigs were actually Dad's idea, he cleans the cage. They each hold their respective guinea pig while he does it.

They love them. Arranging for sitters for them when we go away can be a pain, but my brother in law usually agrees to do it.

Ours are named Haley and Linney!

(We previously had a hamster named Oreo. Let's just say that didn't work out so well and leave it at that.)

I'm glad that Oreo is doing better :)

My boys talked me into getting a dog (Bella) last fall. They had been asking for years and I finally gave in. She has become totally my dog (though Steve seems to think she loves him more) and I love her dearly.

Kristi, I thought you looked great!!!! I know WW is the best way to lose weight, but my doctor recommended ATkins (and before I had my annual, I decided to ask him and do whatever he recommended). It started out fast but has tapered off. So in 6 weeks I've lost a little over 12 lbs. I would like to lose another 19 ideally, but 14 would make me happy...... Not necessarily thong happy, but happy nonetheless......

Thanks! 12 lbs in 6 weeks is great - and the smart way to do it. I need to get off my butt and start doing some exercise - which I HATE, but I think it is the only way I am going to shed the last 20.

Hi Kara! I was wondering what was keeping you - I knew about oreo, just didn't think about the time involved. I'm glad to hear she is doing better and you will get to keep her!

Well, your pirate: meal looks so yummy! All of your choices look perfect for dining in PC! :thumbsup2 We always ask for early dining. It is a little challenge to get ready on time, but then we can enjoy the evening and we like to go to the show after dinner. Congrats on the weight loss!

So sweet! I'll be sending healing thoughts to Oreo! We once nursed a tiny sickly kitten for 2 weeks and I know how attached we got so fast. Those little animals give a whole lot of love. Hope she's doing better (the pig, that is!) and you go Ally :cool1: for the organized sale to your Dad!

I'm thinking of having Ally pitch my proposal for a transatlantic or Alaskan cruise next year.... she seems to do a good job!

Kara, we have two of the little critters. I just had to buy a larger cage for them since they have both plumped up so much.

My kids are good with the food, hay and water. They are less good about cleaning the cage. However, since the pigs were actually Dad's idea, he cleans the cage. They each hold their respective guinea pig while he does it.

They love them. Arranging for sitters for them when we go away can be a pain, but my brother in law usually agrees to do it.

Ours are named Haley and Linney!

(We previously had a hamster named Oreo. Let's just say that didn't work out so well and leave it at that.)

Yikes! I do not wanna know about your Oreo..... :laughing:

I'm glad that Oreo is doing better :)

My boys talked me into getting a dog (Bella) last fall. They had been asking for years and I finally gave in. She has become totally my dog (though Steve seems to think she loves him more) and I love her dearly.

Oh, Steve STeve Steve, bless his heart...... We had a Bella dog, a mini greyhound mix of some sort. Jeff described her as a ketchup bottle on its side, held up by forks for legs. She was interesting..... but definitely MY dog. Until Ally came along and then she got jealous and become Jeff's. Now we have Buckeye, that is definitely Ally's dog. Those two would be lost without each other.

And for the record, Buckeye keeps going to Oreo's cage looking for her...... It's very sweet. Jeff tries telling Buck that he's been traded in for a rat..... :rotfl2:

Thanks! 12 lbs in 6 weeks is great - and the smart way to do it. I need to get off my butt and start doing some exercise - which I HATE, but I think it is the only way I am going to shed the last 20.

I got an elliptical for my bday and we're shopping craigslist for a weight machine or bowflex......

Hi Kara! I was wondering what was keeping you - I knew about oreo, just didn't think about the time involved. I'm glad to hear she is doing better and you will get to keep her!

Well, your pirate: meal looks so yummy! All of your choices look perfect for dining in PC! :thumbsup2 We always ask for early dining. It is a little challenge to get ready on time, but then we can enjoy the evening and we like to go to the show after dinner. Congrats on the weight loss!

It's not really Oreo that kept me from my TR, I just needed a good excuse.....:rolleyes1

But don't tell anyone........

(terrible lies edited out)

Oh, you know I can't let this go without a response. (sorry for hijacking your thread but I can't sit quietly and let these terrible falsehoods go unchallenged)

Bella loves me more. Everyone loves me more. Even your own family likes me more than you. I'm just so darn adorable :littleangel: .

Up and at 'em and time to hit St Thomas!

And as usual, we were up EARLY!!!!

But so were our neighbors....

ImportedPhotos00507.jpg

ImportedPhotos00503.jpg

ImportedPhotos00504.jpg

ImportedPhotos00494.jpg

Captain John parking this big ole Caddie.....

ImportedPhotos00501.jpg

We did not dock at the main port in St Thomas, instead we were away from the dowtown area - how far? $5 cab ride, that's how far! :rotfl2:

And again, I loved watching our neighbors come in.....

Holland America Line,

ImportedPhotos00509.jpg

We knew we had plenty of time before All Ashore so instead of hitting Topsiders for a quick breakfast today, we decided to relax at Lumiere's for a nice sit down breakfast.

Besides, Ally said "her boys" were working there and that is where we had to eat.....

Now I'm not sure how tipping goes for breakfast, when you do not have your assigned dinner servers, but each time we followed our servers to whichever room they were working for breakfast or lunch, they were quick to spot us when we walked in and take us to their section. Is this normal? Or were we just their favorites?

I'm thinking we were just their favorites, but then again, we are McSparklesons.....

No idea what we ate, but here it is!

ImportedPhotos00517.jpg

PB&J pancake!

ImportedPhotos00518.jpg

ImportedPhotos00519.jpg

I needed to run back to the room for a second before we left, and look who I ran into! They were just strolling along arm in arm. I actually felt like I was interrupting a "moment."

Talk about feeling like a 3rd wheel!!!!

ImportedPhotos00521.jpg

But that Daisy is sweet as can be. Unlike the female rodent...... who shall remain nameless.

Soon it was time to hit land again, and head to Magen's Bay for a nice relaxing day on the beach.

ImportedPhotos00523.jpg

And I thought the lizards were creepy in Florida!

ImportedPhotos00524.jpg

We wandered straight through the port area and hit the taxi stand. Within about 10 minutes we were in an open air taxi and heading to Magen's Bay!

ImportedPhotos00525.jpg

ImportedPhotos00526.jpg

Our driver was AWESOME! If he were not as awesome as he was, or lacked in awesomeness in any way, I would have freaked out driving to Magen's Bay.

A) They drive on the WRONG side of the road!!!
B) We drove UP the moutain then DOWN the moutain. Sometimes I think we literally were driving straight up and then straight down.
C) The truck was weighted down and looked like nothing more than an old Chevy pickup that was restructured to hold about 24 adults. That is a lot of weight!!! The truck SOUNDED like it was not happy with this makeup.
D) They drive on the WRONG side of the road!

But due to his awesomeness, our driver warned us about all this before we ever left. He also told us that he drives slower than most of his taxi driving friends, and I was okay with this. Because, did I mention that they drive on the WRONG side of the road????

It was a beautiful drive, and as much as we wanted to get lots of pics heading UP the mountain (Straight up, remember?), Andy Awesome told us he would stop at a beautiful overlook on the way down.

But being antsy, I had to snap away......

Main cruise port right near downtown.

Main Cruise Port - VIDEO

Heading up.....

ImportedPhotos00530.jpg

And up.....

ImportedPhotos00534.jpg

And up.... OMG that truck is driving on the wrong side of the road too!!!!

ImportedPhotos00536.jpg

It took us about 25 minutes to get to Magen's BAy, and when we arrived Arthur Awesomeness set up two different times that he would be back to pick people up for the return trip to our port. Have I mentioned he was awesome???

This is one of the "World's Most Beautiful Beaches" - Top Ten I believe.

ImportedPhotos00539.jpg

ImportedPhotos00540.jpg

ImportedPhotos00541.jpg

ImportedPhotos00542.jpg

Magen's Bay - VIDEO

It was nice. It was crowded. We paid for EVERYTHING! Locker, float, 2 chairs, drinks. Lots of icy cold drinks.......

But it was too crowded for me, and that took away from the beauty of this beach. What makes it so pretty is that it is a bay, hence the name..... duh!

The water was blue, the hilld were lush and green, and the people were EVERYWHERE!

So as far as Magen's Bay goes.... been there, done that. Probably wouldn't go back.

A few minutes before we were ready to pack up, Ally comes running up from the water, "Mama my swim suit broke!"

Oh yes it did! The plastic hook on the back of her top snapped right in half! Thank GOODNESS she had worn a t-shirt and shorts instead of just a coverup! There was a gift shop there where we could have purchased a shirt, but we had to spend a lot of time taking back our chairs, floats, and getting our locker key turned in, so I'm glad we didn't need to shop, too.

Adn what is it with the McSparkleson girls and wardrobe malfunctions????

All aboard was 4:00 today so I believe we had our driver pick us up at 1:00. We knew that would give us plenty of time to hit downtown, do a little shopping, grab lunch, and still make the ship in plenty of time, right?

First, pimp my ride......

ImportedPhotos00543.jpg

ImportedPhotos00544.jpg

Goodbye Magen's Bay! Nice to see you, glad I met you, but you have too many other friends for my taste!

ImportedPhotos00546.jpg

First things first - I want my vote counted for a Jimmy Buffett night on my next cruise!!

I'm really loving your trip report - some of the things you do with your daughter make me think of how we treat our daughter. I know at times she is just mortified to be related to us :rotfl: But we love her anyway!

And Megan's Bay did look beautiful but sooooo busy. At least you got to visit it and now you know you don't need to go back.

and way to go Ally for talking her father into a rat.... I mean guinea pig!!

First, PB&J pancake? For real?! Man, I am always missing the good stuff.

I was wondering about Magen's Bay. We are doing the Eastern on our 7 day in August, but crowded beach for a day is not really my idea of fun. If you went back, what do you think you would want to do instead?

Great updates thankyou :goodvibes
1st Jimmy Buffet night, inspired:thumbsup2 I hope you are listening Disney?
2nd we drive on the left side of the road, it's not the wrong side.;) granted you drive on the right side of the road, it doesn't make it the correct side.

I'm sure that must be perfectly clear now. :rolleyes:

Good wishes to Oreo! Wow, Ally could be a lawyer! DS is liek that too, always has his argument backed up!

Sorry, didn't mean anything about that man-stealing hussy with the you know who remark! :laughing:

Love the update. I too was considering that place for one of our excursions, that and there was another beach place that has an all day one with a cookout and cocktails.

Did you like doing more exploring the island on your own?

That PB & J pancake (minus the J) would be on DH's plate every day! Yummo!

We were lucky enough (ok, no luck involved, because I ASKED for the PLA dining rotation) to be dining in Parrot Cay on pirate night. I mean, the only other awesome dining in Parrot Cay would be on Jimmy Buffet night, but I'm guessing that's on another cruise.......

Yup. it *is* on another cruise...MINE! :rotfl2: Where EVERRRRY night is JB night! :banana:

We also had Lumiere's on Formal Night, and it's by far the most formal of the dining rooms. Even though DCL is the only cruise line I've ever experienced, I love that they have 3 separate dining rooms for rotational dining, as opposed to just one massive dining room on other lines.

See. I'm like you, I like to be in PC on Pirate Night and L on Formal night. And AP the first night. Our last cruise the rotations just did not work out (pesky Western) being in the "wrong" restaurants didn't really negatively affect our experience but for some reason when I think back to Pirate Night on all of our cruises I think first of the ones we had in PC. :confused3

Or as Jeff liked to call all the drinks on the ship, "....another $8....."
:rotfl2:

Silly pirates coming over to interrupt our meal.... Godwin, our head server, was just as great as Dobo and Willy, but he's also the one who told me "no." I don't like to be told "no." That was when Willy had promised me all week that he would get me copies of all the menus. Then mean ole Godwin said, "no."

Surely you jest!!! Godwin was our head server too and he was just the BEST! pirate:

I may have ordered it just because I've never seen "barnacle bottom" in a sentence together! <insert Beevis and Butthead laugh here>

:rotfl:

After dinner the servers each grabbed a child and paraded around the dining room in what must surely be their most miserable time each cruise. Seriously, it's great photo ops for families, but even Ally was like, "what?" :scared1:

Yeah Savannah was sleeping (yes, sleeping at the table..have we no manners) and our guys yanked her right up out of a dead sleep and into the limbo. And boy was she MAD when the music stopped before she reached the bar. :confused3

Servers work all three shifts (breakfast, lunch, dinner) 6 days a week. On the 7th day they only work 2 shifts. When they are not working in a dining room, they may be cleaning up the decks, like we saw Willy one day out by the pool picking up cups and plates that people just toss aside.

It's a very tough life, I'm sure, but if my math is correct, they are compensated pretty well......

Wow....I could never...NEVER do that for months on end...9 months with NO days off? I am ready to send heads rolling by Wednesday at my job.

It was right about this time that my, um, er, "plumbing" got my attention.

All of those 8 dollars need to go somewhere!

So I felt kind of special knowing that I was on THE ship where the fireworks came from!!!! Or maybe that makes me a fool for paying for the fireworks that the others saw free?????:rolleyes1

THINK of the thousands you could have saved. This should be a tip on the Budget Board!

This was a late night for us, as we kind of hung out on deck for awhile after the fireworks. The buffet was going strong but having just eaten (another reason we are doing early dining next cruise!), we couldn't even look at all the food!

Yeah....that's one downside to late dining for sure.

We did not dock at the main port in St Thomas, instead we were away from the dowtown area - how far? $5 cab ride, that's how far! :rotfl2:

Ah, so you were at Crown Bay, the "overflow" parking lot! That's where we will dock next month too because Havensight can't handle the big mama ships.:rolleyes1

Now I'm not sure how tipping goes for breakfast, when you do not have your assigned dinner servers, but each time we followed our servers to whichever room they were working for breakfast or lunch, they were quick to spot us when we walked in and take us to their section. Is this normal? Or were we just their favorites?

I'm thinking we were just their favorites, but then again, we are McSparklesons.....

Duh. ;)

No idea what we ate, but here it is!

ImportedPhotos00519.jpg

Now that looks interesting? Is it a stack of donuts with strawberry sauce? (mmmmmm, donuts!)

I needed to run back to the room for a second before we left, and look who I ran into! They were just strolling along arm in arm. I actually felt like I was interrupting a "moment."

You were. :rotfl2:

But that Daisy is sweet as can be. Unlike the female rodent...... who shall remain nameless.

Harlot that she is. The secret is out Minnie, we are ON to your game!

Soon it was time to hit land again, and head to Magen's Bay for a nice relaxing day on the beach.

Sounds like a good plan!

But due to his awesomeness, our driver warned us about all this before we ever left. He also told us that he drives slower than most of his taxi driving friends, and I was okay with this.

That's what they all say!

It was a beautiful drive, and as much as we wanted to get lots of pics heading UP the mountain (Straight up, remember?), Andy Awesome told us he would stop at a beautiful overlook on the way down.

Maybe yours did drive slower though, we couldn't have dreamed about actually getting pictures from ours. I kept trying but we were either moving too fast, swerving into our out of a curve, bouncing up or down a hill, or swerving to avoid another vehicle, school child, or rooster.

But it was too crowded for me, and that took away from the beauty of this beach. What makes it so pretty is that it is a bay, hence the name..... duh!

Wow, yeah that is waaaay too crowded!! :eek: What a bummer.

I was thinking about going to Magen's ..one of these cruises (but not the next two beacuse we already know what we will be doing the next two years in St. Thomas -geez does that sound pretentious or what?) but maybe not. Of course if you were over at Crown Bay it was obviously a huge crowd in port that day..so maybe it wouldn't be that bad on a less crowded day...?

All aboard was 4:00 today so I believe we had our driver pick us up at 1:00. We knew that would give us plenty of time to hit downtown, do a little shopping, grab lunch, and still make the ship in plenty of time, right?

ooh I sense some foreshadowing here. I wonder if your experience with St.T rush hour traffic was similar to mine.....:rolleyes1

First, pimp my ride......

ImportedPhotos00543.jpg

ImportedPhotos00544.jpg

Wow that is a NICE one. One of ours we rode in was literally in the bed of a pickup truck (as in benches glued (screwed?, who knows) IN the truck bed with a hole cout out of the frame to step up in. And no nice padded seats either! You were right about Adam McAwesomely!

Hope Oreo is doing better!!! :goodvibes

Oh, you know I can't let this go without a response. (sorry for hijacking your thread but I can't sit quietly and let these terrible falsehoods go unchallenged)

Bella loves me more. Everyone loves me more. Even your own family likes me more than you. I'm just so darn adorable :littleangel: .

Ya know, I was just thinking the same thing, about how darn adorable Steve is, and then the drool woke me up from a deep sleep and I realized again...... poor Kristy....... :rolleyes1

First things first - I want my vote counted for a Jimmy Buffett night on my next cruise!!

I'm really loving your trip report - some of the things you do with your daughter make me think of how we treat our daughter. I know at times she is just mortified to be related to us :rotfl: But we love her anyway!

And Megan's Bay did look beautiful but sooooo busy. At least you got to visit it and now you know you don't need to go back.

and way to go Ally for talking her father into a rat.... I mean guinea pig!!

See we are thinking, on one hand, a cruise every year would be great, but on the other hand, where is the money going to come from for Ally's therapy?

First, PB&J pancake? For real?! Man, I am always missing the good stuff.

I was wondering about Magen's Bay. We are doing the Eastern on our 7 day in August, but crowded beach for a day is not really my idea of fun. If you went back, what do you think you would want to do instead?

I don't know what I would do. I would look to see what other ships are in port the same day you are. There were 6 (or 7) in port with us, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the crowd level. It was pretty, but it was also overcast all day, so with sunshine and less people, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a LOT more......

Oh yeah, and on the PB&J pancake? Syrup. Lots of syrup......

Great updates thankyou :goodvibes
1st Jimmy Buffet night, inspired:thumbsup2 I hope you are listening Disney?
2nd we drive on the left side of the road, it's not the wrong side.;) granted you drive on the right side of the road, it doesn't make it the correct side.

I'm sure that must be perfectly clear now. :rolleyes:

No wonder they put you in charge of driving and picking up the coffee and donuts. You know how to drive on the WRONG side of the road!!!! :rotfl2:

Good wishes to Oreo! Wow, Ally could be a lawyer! DS is liek that too, always has his argument backed up!

Sorry, didn't mean anything about that man-stealing hussy with the you know who remark! :laughing:

Love the update. I too was considering that place for one of our excursions, that and there was another beach place that has an all day one with a cookout and cocktails.

Did you like doing more exploring the island on your own?

That PB & J pancake (minus the J) would be on DH's plate every day! Yummo!

We didn't explore STT as much on our own as we did St Maarten. It was okay, but now that I got a feel for it, I might try an excursion next time.....

See. I'm like you, I like to be in PC on Pirate Night and L on Formal night. And AP the first night. Our last cruise the rotations just did not work out (pesky Western) being in the "wrong" restaurants didn't really negatively affect our experience but for some reason when I think back to Pirate Night on all of our cruises I think first of the ones we had in PC. :confused3

I'm bummed about the Western - there is no way to work it out, I'm gonna be a fish out of water, a pirate out of doubloons, a princess out of castle!!!!

Surely you jest!!! Godwin was our head server too and he was just the BEST! pirate:

Must not have told you "No."

Ah, so you were at Crown Bay, the "overflow" parking lot! That's where we will dock next month too because Havensight can't handle the big mama ships.:rolleyes1

Yup, the McSparklesons were "overflow" at best.... so sad.... :sad2:

Now that looks interesting? Is it a stack of donuts with strawberry sauce? (mmmmmm, donuts!)

Ya got me. It looked like sugar with some more sugary stuff on top. I think we topped it with some sugar.....

Maybe yours did drive slower though, we couldn't have dreamed about actually getting pictures from ours. I kept trying but we were either moving too fast, swerving into our out of a curve, bouncing up or down a hill, or swerving to avoid another vehicle, school child, or rooster.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was thinking about going to Magen's ..one of these cruises (but not the next two beacuse we already know what we will be doing the next two years in St. Thomas -geez does that sound pretentious or what?) but maybe not. Of course if you were over at Crown Bay it was obviously a huge crowd in port that day..so maybe it wouldn't be that bad on a less crowded day...?

Oooooh, I wanna be pretentious! I'm gonna go look that thar word up right now so I can be pretentious too.......

That truck does look scary. And I am with you on the corwds. I want some privacy and room to actually move

So far so good, except for the wardrobe malfunction. :eek: We took a similar truck on a tour, with a stop at Maagen's for $4 each roundtrip. We stopped at the top for pics, and 2 mandatory shopping stops. :goodvibes On the way back down around one of those hairpin turns, we saw an accident, and that's when Jim said, "See, that's why you don't rent a car in a foreign country!" He's cured for good! :lmao: I think it was an American who forgot to drive on the WRONG side and hit a bus thingy head on!

First, so glad you get to keep Oreo!! :cutie: Hopefully she is home soon!

Magen's Bay does look beautiful...but those crowds :sad2: that would have detracted from the experience for me as well.

Looking forward to what your afternoon holds...sounds a bit like a cliffhanger you left with us on the time slipping away faster than expected...

;)

That I believe is the Atlantis Tower breakfast dish of layers of French toast and pineapple with the strawberry sauce. I can't wait to try it.

That truck does look scary. And I am with you on the corwds. I want some privacy and room to actually move

First of all, LOVE the mini Mary Poppins in your siggy.... so cute!!! And actually, Abe of the McAwesomes was well, awesome! So it wasn't too scary.

So far so good, except for the wardrobe malfunction. :eek: We took a similar truck on a tour, with a stop at Maagen's for $4 each roundtrip. We stopped at the top for pics, and 2 mandatory shopping stops. :goodvibes On the way back down around one of those hairpin turns, we saw an accident, and that's when Jim said, "See, that's why you don't rent a car in a foreign country!" He's cured for good! :lmao: I think it was an American who forgot to drive on the WRONG side and hit a bus thingy head on!

We McSparkleson gals have some issues with wardrobe malfunctions, and they are not over for this cruise!!!! :scared1:

Yeah, Jeff HATED driving in St Maarten and said Never Again!!!

First, so glad you get to keep Oreo!! :cutie: Hopefully she is home soon!

Magen's Bay does look beautiful...but those crowds :sad2: that would have detracted from the experience for me as well.

Looking forward to what your afternoon holds...sounds a bit like a cliffhanger you left with us on the time slipping away faster than expected...

Uh, yeah, let's call that foreshadowing.....

;)

That I believe is the Atlantis Tower breakfast dish of layers of French toast and pineapple with the strawberry sauce. I can't wait to try it.

Again, I have no idea what that was but I think Jeff ordered it (which is odd because he's not usually a sweets eater, especially at breakfast).

We McSparkleson gals have some issues with wardrobe malfunctions, and they are not over for this cruise!!!! :scared1:

Yeah, Jeff HATED driving in St Maarten and said Never Again!!!

Uh, yeah, let's call that foreshadowing.....

Duh Duh Duh Duh!popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter