The MAXI dress... not for me!

I wear maxi dresses all summer long too, i hate shorts and even capris sometimes. the dresses are the closest thing I can get to wearing pj's out and about! i hate my arms too so I wear a little shrug sweater, not too hot or bulky.

im in PA and buy most of them at ross.

I don't like the dresses, but I love the skirts. I was against them for so long until this spring. I found a maxi skirt at Target and it was love at first sight! It looks good on me too. I wear it all the time. I am getting another one this week!

as someone who has terrible spider veins from ankle to knee, I am THRILLED Maxi's are still in style and that I have this option! We have a wedding in July and I can relax knowing my legs won't be an embarrassment to me and my family. I love that I can get a maxi and alter it to ballerina length or whatever I need as well, and not look like an over-the-hill ,wanna be bridesmaid, gone wrong :rotfl2: There are fabrics out there that are more forgiving. I bought this one hopefully for the wedding,it looks like it shows every bump etc, but it really doesn't, the layered effect is especially helpful :rolleyes1 and I can wear a normal bra, not a strapless which is a make or break for me.
$45 (on sale)

FIN Where did you find this dress. I MUST have it. So gorgeous. Please tell me they have it in plus sizes.

Love maxi dresses and skirts. The skirts don't work for me, they easily reach my chest. The flowy material is usually too hard for me to alter and I'm too cheap to have it done professionally.

I found one maxi dress that was in a sleepwear section. I have worn it outside a ton and get compliments nearly every time. LOL.

I am short 5'2" and have a couple of them. I had a hard time finding ones that looked good and I think the trick for me is an Empire Waist. It elongates my body and has a bonus of hiding the spare tire I've been sporting around the middle.

Eliza61 & finfan ~ where did you get your's?

I love getting a maxi style skirt, because it gives me so many options, plus I don't feel comfortable in shorter skirts/dresses.
FIN Where did you find this dress. I MUST have it. So gorgeous. Please tell me they have it in plus sizes.
I found it at Carson's...Bergner's for the East Coast. Here is the link. I hit a sale and then had an additional 25% off

http://www.carsons.com/sc1/women/dresses/maxi-dresses-22250/r-striped-maxi-dress-905322.html

I am extra happy because the bride loves purple and this has purple, but mostly because it reminds me of a sunset over the ocean. I have nude color kitten heel pumps that I am wearing with it, now if I could just find a dirt cheap clutch...I also have a white shrug that I will wear with it for the ceremony, but for July, I think it is nice and colorful and I can dress it down too with flat sandals. Also? So far, no slip or hose required :woohoo: does not appear to be see thru anywhere,even the lighter parts of the material.

here is link to possible coupons
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/carsons.com
so you guys think it is fine for a wedding? Most will be in knee length dresses, but like I said, that won't work for me so hope this is enough on the "fun" side to take away from the length

ETA: I just got an email that the same sale I hit is going again...extra 25% off and if you are a carsons reward member m take $20 off a $50 purchase, some restrictions apply
http://www.carsons.com/sc1/women/

Last edited:

I can't stand them. I know many people love them and think they're flattering but I have never seen one and thought it looked good or flattering. Sorry.

Me either. Saw a really unfortunate example today. I'm sure she thought she looked cute. :crazy2:

I wear maxi dresses and maxi skirts all year long. When they go out of style, I'll still be wearing them. I've always preferred a dress to pants or shorts. I'm 5'4 almost 5'5 and I never feel swamped by the length. I'm pear shaped, so I love the straighter styles that accent the waist, show the arms and minimize the thighs. Maxis are a pear-shaped girl's best friend.

I wear maxi dresses and maxi skirts all year long. When they go out of style, I'll still be wearing them. I've always preferred a dress to pants or shorts. I'm 5'4 almost 5'5 and I never feel swamped by the length. I'm pear shaped, so I love the straighter styles that accent the waist, show the arms and minimize the thighs. Maxis are a pear-shaped girl's best friend.
I am 5'9... but also pear shaped and no matter how many sit ups I do the lower belly is not flattening out. I like that a maxi doesn't put pressure on my back like some jeans do because below the waist is taking up all the "give"
and you're in Austin, the style isn't going anywhere, ever lol:thumbsup2

I am 6'0" so maxis are tricky for me. If they are too short, they look ridiculous. One thing I really hate is this trend of drawstring waists on dresses right now. While I'm not overweight, I have a high, thick, waist, and that style is AWFUL on me. I can't seem to find much else that isn't super clingy! (I hate clingy!)

I'm a shorter (5'4) fat girl and I rock me some maxi dresses. I live in the desert and it gets miserable hot. I need some air flow! Anyways I love maxi dresses and skirts.
It can be challenging to flatter the figure depending on where the waist is but I wear alot of belts and scarves as belts to create a smaller waist if I feel it needs it.

Some one mentioned wanting maxi dresses with sleeves...I just bought a couple! Again it's not the small lady section so not for everyone but here are a couple I bought recently

113659697.jpg
113659547.jpg

Eliza61 & finfan ~ where did you get your's?

I love getting a maxi style skirt, because it gives me so many options, plus I don't feel comfortable in shorter skirts/dresses.
That particular skirt I got at anthropologie.com, it was a little pricey but for a special occasion. I love Macy's and Boscov's. lol truthfully zappos had some really nice ones also.

That's so interesting Miskey because I love them for my thunder thighs
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago for the summer, it covers and hides my thighs so well and it's not clinging.

4120342380008_070_b
I love this! Hibiscus are my favorite flower, and soooo tropical!

I'm a shorter (5'4) fat girl and I rock me some maxi dresses. I live in the desert and it gets miserable hot. I need some air flow! Anyways I love maxi dresses and skirts.
It can be challenging to flatter the figure depending on where the waist is but I wear alot of belts and scarves as belts to create a smaller waist if I feel it needs it.

Some one mentioned wanting maxi dresses with sleeves...I just bought a couple! Again it's not the small lady section so not for everyone but here are a couple I bought recently

113659697.jpg
113659547.jpg

love 'em! Bought from where? online or brick and mortar?

Maxis along with tanks and long skirts, are my favorites from Spring to Fall. I wear them almost every day. We just got back from WDW and I wore either a maxi or tank and skirt to the parks. They're cooler and more comfortable than shorts and tees for me. I think I'm about average @ 5'4" and 125 lbs-size 4-6 depending upon the manufacturer.

I look freakish in them and feel extremely self conscious in them. I'm 5'8" and while not fat, I have a huge chest. I also hate my exposed arms.
Me too! I'm 5'5 & a bigger chest.I usually don't have a problem with my arms but I hate them in maxi dresses.I try them on every year hoping I'll find one.

I have to hem them but I love them. I like how you can dress them up or down.

I love the maxi skirts! I'm tall 5'11" and the longer length is more flattering on me. I look terrible in short things I have ugly knees and no ankles, my lower leg looks like a bowling pin :-( I'm glad these longer lengths are back in style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter