The Line for Bag check

I wish women cargo shorts had big pockets like mens do. Then I could go back to not carrying a bag most of the time.

Exactly! I have cargo Capris that I like for other reasons, but it's sure not for the pockets. Two on the cuffs even have buttons, but I'd have to cut my phone in half to be able to use both sides! It's often that way with men's garb, tho--much more practical features.

We can't go bagless because of Epi pen and other medication issues.

I don't know of anything happening at Disney but certainly there have been all kinds of crazies around the country doing stuff, like the shooting at the Federal building in NYC yesterday. I've got no problem with security checking bags. Of course, if someone wanted to bring in a handgun, they just need to not have it in their bag and they'd get through just fine. There are no metal detectors.
Someone at Disneyland was recently caught with a loaded gun in the downtown area. Maybe it's leading to more caution? Since FL is SO much more lax on guns than CA I'd prefer they be extra careful - I remember reading about a loaded gun being found by a small child in the seat on Dinosaur. Thank god nothing serious happened. The legal gun owner said it fell out of his pocket....
Maybe it is time for metal detectors :( Might be faster!

I haven't had the chance to read through the entire thread but a 10 minute wait isn't that bad at all. The bag check is similar to locking your doors at home. It's there to keep honest people honest. If someone really wanted to make bad things happen at any place with large crowds, they will find a way. I do not think the bag checks top priority is guns, although it never hurts to look. I think they are looking for bigger items (Think Boston Marathon) and like others said to give the once over on the crowds. I could be and probably am wrong, but I don't mind the bag check.

The bag check isn't about weapons. It about trying to reduce any number of items that Disney doesn't want in their parks like coolers, glass bottles, bags of marbles, cell phone jammers, and in AK straws. This is why the guy's duct tape was confiscated. It is about protecting the park not the people. I am sure they keep an eye out for weapons as part of the check but that isn't really the main reason they search a 6 year old girl's backpack.

You can easily carry concealed into Disney World and never be detected. I hate to burst your bubble, but many do...
Bag check is about slowing people down so security elsewhere can check them out for suspicious behavior, etc.

A couple of years ago my then 91 year old stepdad had a camera bag with a small pair of scissors in it - the poor CM didn't want to send him back to the car with my Mom in a wheelchair but was really stressing. she made us swear we'd tell NO one that she let him in with them or she'd lose her job!
This was at DL. Btw - there's no 'no bag' line here - again they seem to take this more seriously.

How big of a bag qualifies as a bag? I mean, if I have a wristlet on my wrist does that need to be checked? I supposed I can shove it in a pocket until I'm in the park.....

How big of a bag qualifies as a bag? I mean, if I have a wristlet on my wrist does that need to be checked? I supposed I can shove it in a pocket until I'm in the park.....

They made a woman go through the bag check with her handheld purse - it was about the size of a wristlet purse. Another day a woman with a handheld bag tried to go through no bag, and the security guard just checked it there.

This may be a dumb question....but do have to go through bag check if you have a stroller? We were planning to take an umbrella stroller and were wondering if we would have to stop for them to check it?

Someone at Disneyland was recently caught with a loaded gun in the downtown area.
There are no security checks that you have to go through to get to Downtown Disney at DLR (or WDW). So while it may be unusual for someone to be "caught" with a gun there, people are now walking around in malls all over the place with loaded guns if they are in "open carry" or "concealed carry" states. If you go out shopping in one of those states, odds are, you are going to encounter lots of people with loaded guns whether you notice or not. Many people find this to be horrifying. Many find it to be comforting. Not here to judge. (Well, I do have an opinion, but this isn't the proper or appropriate place for that discussion). Just saying that Downtown Disney is a shopping mall, and there are lots of places in this country where people are packing heat in malls.

This may be a dumb question....but do have to go through bag check if you have a stroller? We were planning to take an umbrella stroller and were wondering if we would have to stop for them to check it?

Are you going to have any sort of diaper bag in it or with you? If you have any kind of bag, no matter how small, then yes you need to go thru bag check.

Are you going to have any sort of diaper bag in it or with you? If you have any kind of bag, no matter how small, then yes you need to go thru bag check.
Thank you for your reply! No, the stroller is for my 2yr old who is potty trained. I plan to take a mesh bag that I can roll up and stick in my pocket. We will put our sunscreens ect. in our pockets too until we are inside in the hopes of bypassing the bag line. I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't have to go through to have the stroller itself checked...

Last edited:
I was stopped and made to have a "bag check" for my camera once because it had a leather case around it. I try not to get mad at the employees just doing their jobs, but come the ... on! It's was a protective cover, and very obviously just a camera.

I was stopped and made to have a "bag check" for my camera once because it had a leather case around it. I try not to get mad at the employees just doing their jobs, but come the ... on! It's was a protective cover, and very obviously just a camera.
Can't tell for sure until you open it up.

This was at DL. Btw - there's no 'no bag' line here - again they seem to take this more seriously.

This is something that bothers me quite a bit. I have to wait in a bag check line, even if I do not have anything resembling a bag. Then, when I get to the front and they see I am in fact bagless, they wave me through without so much as a pat down. Why am I waiting in what can sometimes be a very long line, just so they can instantly wave me through without a second look? I really do not understand why there is no "no bag" line...

I've mention this in other threads, but a few yrs ago, in early Dec, I was stopped and asked what was in my jacket pockets. I had an empty bag in one. You know you buy something, use the item and stuff the bag in your pockets.......I was stopped for that. My DH had the same type of jacket and he wasn't asked to check his pockets.

As far as cargo pants, I've seen a few people that had soooo much stuff in the pockets, you'd think the pants were going to fall down any moment.

Bag check is about slowing people down so security elsewhere can check them out for suspicious behavior, etc.
This makes more sense than believing it's about effectively stopping anything major.... I think there are a lot of undercover cm's watching carefully at that gate area....
Side question...I have a 'running buddy' it's a small flat waistpack (no straps) kind of like would go on a belt,only without the belt loops....think I need bag check for that? It's ment ot hold a phone,etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter