The iPhone Collective

Can anyone recommend a good ($100 or less) docking station? I need one to take to work so I can listen to my iPhone while I am there and still have battery to operate my phone when I leave work.

I have had my itouch for less than a week and loving it. I'm new to apple and resisted a long time because ipods were always more expensive than other mp3 players. However, the itouch is so much more than just a player that I feel it is a good deal.

So far I have:
Blue Block- a "traffic jam" slider puzzle game.

Betty Crocker Cookbook- it has 30,000 recipes in it and you don't have to be online to read them. You can search by ingredients and/or meal.

iheartradio- this one lets me listen to radio stations around the country. I have a favorite, KFI, that I like from SoCal, and now I don't have to be next to my computer to listen. I can take this with me around the house in my iHome2go ( looks like a tiny boombox- sounds great, and you can also hook up mp3 players to it).

Stanza and Kindle- both are book readers. I have to say I've used Stanza more and haven't downloaded any Kindle books. Stanza has a large collection of free book that Kindle charges a dollar or two for. ( Those classics now in public domain) But when I find a book I want to buy I will use Kindle because I trust Amazon more with my purchases.

I will be getting the TSMM game, of course.

I haven't even put any music on it because I've been playing with all these other things.

I'm looking through the apps other people like. It would be nice if they had a little description next to the less obvious ones. Then people would know if that was something they were interested in or not. Anyway, these lists are a good starting point for me. And I would be interested in a good docking station too.

Ok I am not very far into this thread yet.
I will get caught up by the end of the week.

I will have to read this thread more when I have time. I have upgraded my Ipod Touch to the Iphone. I am still getting use to the added features that come with the phone.

I will have to read this thread more when I have time. I have upgraded my Ipod Touch to the Iphone. I am still getting use to the added features that come with the phone.
Congratulations on your purchase Tracey!

For those of you that lock your iphone. How do you do it? Is it something that is already on the phone or an app. My last phone was a palm so I could secure specific entries with a pass word. :surfweb: What are my options? If I use something like this will I have to enter a password to take a call? TIA for any details.

I'm in!!! Got mine last night. Now just can't wait for Project X!

For those of you that lock your iphone. How do you do it? Is it something that is already on the phone or an app. My last phone was a palm so I could secure specific entries with a pass word. :surfweb: What are my options? If I use something like this will I have to enter a password to take a call? TIA for any details.

It's under >Settings >General, near the bottom of the screen Passcode Lock.

You can set up your numeric passcode. IIRC I've taken a call while I had it on, after the call the screen went dark. I put it on at first but then don't bother anymore since it's an extra hassle. However, reading that someone here had theirs snatched away while on public transit :scared1: makes me think I should use it more often :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

You can set up your numeric passcode. IIRC I've taken a call while I had it on, after the call the screen went dark. I put it on at first but then don't bother anymore since it's an extra hassle. However, reading that someone here had theirs snatched away while on public transit :scared1: makes me think I should use it more often :goodvibes

cheers,

Same with me. I had it's locked for a few weeks till I noticed the only person it was keeping out was me.

I use it so much that it was become a hassle.

Same with me. I had it's locked for a few weeks till I noticed the only person it was keeping out was me.

I use it so much that it was become a hassle.

Thanks for the instructions. Maybe I will lock it sometimes. I would only like to lock a few things not really the whole phone, I use it a lot too.

:welcome: to the collective newbies! :grouphug:

Anyone know the workaround for avoiding the Live 365 VIP membership so that I can listen to Dis Radio? I remember someone writing in to the show about it...but can't find the episode...anyone happen to remember? :worship:

I'm using Fstream but it consistently cuts out after 5-10 minutes so it's a hassle to keep having to re-connect. Anyone use Fstream more successfully? :confused3 :rotfl:

cheers,

:welcome: to the collective newbies! :grouphug:

Anyone know the workaround for avoiding the Live 365 VIP membership so that I can listen to Dis Radio? I remember someone writing in to the show about it...but can't find the episode...anyone happen to remember? :worship:

I'm using Fstream but it consistently cuts out after 5-10 minutes so it's a hassle to keep having to re-connect. Anyone use Fstream more successfully? :confused3 :rotfl:

cheers,

I've had trouble with Fstream also, but I think the latest version works a bit better. WunderRadio works very well, but it's not a free app.

The link for DISRadio to put into either Fstream or WunderRadio is:

http://www.live365.com/play/dreamsunlimited?tag=terra

cheers,

Yes, that was me that had mine snatched from my hands while riding the L. The fact that I had the passcode set on it at least gave me a little bit of hope that the bad guys weren't just scrolling through all my information. My only regret is that I had it set to a 5 minute delay - I have it on immediate on my new iPhone. Sure, it's easier for me to not have it lock every time, but I never really thought about a bad person actually stealing it from me before. Now, I'm doing everything I can to be prepared if someone steals it again. It's sad that I have to think that way. Back up often, lock your phone.

Yes, that was me that had mine snatched from my hands while riding the L. The fact that I had the passcode set on it at least gave me a little bit of hope that the bad guys weren't just scrolling through all my information. My only regret is that I had it set to a 5 minute delay - I have it on immediate on my new iPhone. Sure, it's easier for me to not have it lock every time, but I never really thought about a bad person actually stealing it from me before. Now, I'm doing everything I can to be prepared if someone steals it again. It's sad that I have to think that way. Back up often, lock your phone.

If you are concerned about someone stealing your phone and going through your contacts, email and calendar, another option is to sign up for a GMail account and sync your phone with Google for your mail, contacts and calendar.

If your phone gets stolen, log in to your Google account stop the sync. The information goes away on your phone. This only works if you are "pushing" the data from Google to your phone. If you "download" the data, then the data is resident on your phone and this wouldn't work.

I have only had my iPhone a few weeks and most everything works fine. But there is one problem and I hope that one of you experts can help. I set up my email to sync with Outlook. My email is AOL. I love being to sync with my Outlook on my laptop as it is so much easier for these old eyes and fat fingers to add my contacts on the laptop. I got the iPhone to be able to get my email and access the internet while on our vaction to WDW. I was waiting to hear about our DVC resale purchase. And a quote from our Travel Agent on a DCL cruise to Alaska. Of course all this had to be done on the one week we were at WDW. So the easy answer was an iPhone. To make a long story short I received all the messages, but could not reply. It kept telling me invalid email address. I even tried emailing myself and it didn't work. Any suggestions? My DD is my iPhone expert, but she can't figure it out my email problem either. TIA.:worship:

I have already synced my music from my iPod and downloaded several apps. Love The Weather Channel, Bejeweled and Facebook. It is sitting on my desk at work so I can listen to me iPod...and the Podcast.

I have only had my iPhone a few weeks and most everything works fine. But there is one problem and I hope that one of you experts can help. I set up my email to sync with Outlook. My email is AOL. I love being to sync with my Outlook on my laptop as it is so much easier for these old eyes and fat fingers to add my contacts on the laptop. I got the iPhone to be able to get my email and access the internet while on our vaction to WDW. I was waiting to hear about our DVC resale purchase. And a quote from our Travel Agent on a DCL cruise to Alaska. Of course all this had to be done on the one week we were at WDW. So the easy answer was an iPhone. To make a long story short I received all the messages, but could not reply. It kept telling me invalid email address. I even tried emailing myself and it didn't work. Any suggestions? My DD is my iPhone expert, but she can't figure it out my email problem either. TIA.:worship:

I have already synced my music from my iPod and downloaded several apps. Love The Weather Channel, Bejeweled and Facebook. It is sitting on my desk at work so I can listen to me iPod...and the Podcast.

I'm a little confused. Do you use Outlook on your PC to get your AOL mail? When you set it up on your iPhone what type of account did you create it as, AOL?

Also, what error message do you get and when in the process do you get it? After you click send?

If you are trying to send mail but can't, most likely there is a problem with the SMTP account. I checked AOL's web site and they state their SMTP server is smtp.aol.com

Check your iPhone's settings. Go to SETTINGS then MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS. Choose the AOL account the scroll down to OUTGOING MAIL SERVER. The SMTP entry should read smtp.aol.com. (no dot at the end of com)

If you are receiving your email from AOL then your incoming server (either POP or IMAP), as well as your user name and password, has to be correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter