The "I Can't Come Up with a Catchy Title" Disney Food Review - Updated 12/7!

I'm a little late joining, but thanks so much for these reviews, and happy to see that they'll be some more in Dec....lucky you!:)

We also had such a surprisingly good meal at Yak n Yetti last month, so I agree that we should form our own opinions on stuff;).

That said, think we'll be giving Kouzzina a wide berth along with Tutto...too much salt is pretty unforgiveable in a place that calls itself a restaurant, as is an italian restaurant that can't cook pasta or a tomato sauce!

Such a lovely pic of you and your grandma!

Great reviews so far!!!

Aw thanks!

thanks for the great reviews

My gastronomic pleasure!

I'm a little late joining, but thanks so much for these reviews, and happy to see that they'll be some more in Dec....lucky you!:) I know, I am so lucky to live 4 hours from Disney and be able to afford to go again so soon!

We also had such a surprisingly good meal at Yak n Yetti last month, so I agree that we should form our own opinions on stuff;).

That said, think we'll be giving Kouzzina a wide berth along with Tutto...too much salt is pretty unforgiveable in a place that calls itself a restaurant, as is an italian restaurant that can't cook pasta or a tomato sauce!

Such a lovely pic of you and your grandma!Oh thank you!

We went straight to the WS at 11am on November 2. We picked up where we left off, in the UK pavilion.

Our first booth was Wellington, New Zealand, where we had the Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil:
DSCN0554.jpg

This scallop was cooked to perfection. Tender and delicious with a wonderful crust from the searing, lightly accented with the lemon oil and few herbs. We both thought this was great and would love to see this an entree somewhere! The vegetable slaw was kind of boring, but a nice accompaniment.
Rating: 8.5

We also had the Lamb Slider with Tomato Chutney:
DSCN0553.jpg

This was another wonderful item. The meat was juicy, tender, and flavorful. The chutney was a bit sweet and paired well. It was like a really nice version of those slider mini burgers that are so in vogue right now.
Rating 8.5

A few steps away from the New Zealand booth was the much talked about Cork, Ireland kiosk, where we purchased the Lobster and Scallop Fisherman's Pie:
DSCN0557.jpg

Umm, hello, gastronomic heaven. :cloud9: This was outstanding as most people had been reporting. The top was fluffy whipped potatoes and underneath were substantial chunks of scallop and lobster in a lovely, creamy broth. Luckily, I got this little delight all to myself since it clearly had dairy that Gram couldn't eat. On one hand I felt bad she could try it, but mostly, I was glad I got it all to myself. :rotfl:
Rating: 9.5
The only reason it doesn't get the full 10 is because the lobster chunks were slightly overcooked.

Also from Cork, Ireland, we got the Kerrygold Cheese Selection:
DSCN0556.jpg

This time, Gram was able to partake in all the deliciousness because these were aged cheeses. The plate had pieces of an aged Cheddar, Dubliner, and Ivernia. All three were wonderful, but we both liked the Cheddar the best. These were all fairly sharp, semi-hard cheeses. My only complaint with this selection was that I would have liked to have seen more variety - a proper cheese plate should feature a soft, a medium, and a hard cheese, and preferably a goat selection. At least in my French-taught book. I didn't care for the bread - it was like cardboard to me, but Gram snapped it up and said it was good. The apple chutney was sweet and yummy, a nice contrast to the sharp cheeses.
Rating: 9

Next, we moved on to France. Instead of getting the savory items at the Paris booth, we decided to spend our calories on pastries from the Boulangerie Patisserie.

Gram has the Almond Croissant:
DSCN0565.jpg

This was amazing. Croissant bread with a marzipan-like filling. Delicieux, as they say in France!
Rating: 8.5

I picked the Nid d'Abeille (Bee's Nest):
DSCN0564.jpg

This was disappointing. The cream filling made me a little sick....there was so much of it, and it had that weird after feeling in my mouth that you get from creamy items made with artificial crap and things that aren't supposed to be in it, like soybean oil. I had a few bites and then stole more of Gram's croissant!
Rating: 3

After our vacances a la belle France, our next food stop was Melbourne, Australia, where we split the Grilled Lamb Chop with Red Wine Sauce and Murray River Sea Salt:
DSCN0580.jpg

Gram adored this dish. I wouldn't say I was as enamored by it as she was, but I did like it. I loved the sauce, and the chunks of salt, and the greens under it were delicious. But the lamb chop was cooked well done, and I like my red meat medium-rare, so that spoiled it a little for me. I sopped up the sauce with most of the greens and let Gram have the meat.
Gram's rating: 9
My Rating: 7

Our next booth, well MY next booth, was Bangkok, Thailand. Gram doesn't like Thai so I had these dishes all to myself!
My first selection was the Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp:
DSCN0583.jpg

This was good, but not great. I really liked the green papaya salad....very refreshing on a hot day, and I loved the pairing with the shrimp. But the shrimp were just kind of lackluster. They were cooked nicely, not overdone, but they didn't have any flavor. It was like plain seared shrimp, and for Thai, I was expecting something spicy and flavorful!
Rating: 6

I also had the Chicken and Coconut Soup with Mushrooms, Lemongrass, and Ginger:
DSCN0584.jpg

This gets my award for best item of the festival. Unconventional pick, I know, but it was so incredibly delicious. The flavor of this soup was out of this world good. The broth was a coconut milk base and just teeming with bright lemongrass and ginger aromas. I don't usually like large bits of cooked mushrooms, but the ones in this soup were very good. I found the recipe over on the recipe exchange, and it calls for ****ake mushrooms, so I guess that's what these were. There were also chunks of chicken, and the garnish on the top was more lemongrass. I am about to drool on keyboard thinking about this dish! :rotfl:
Rating: A Perfect 10!

Our last festival booth stop of the day was Cape Town, South Africa for the Seared Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango Barbeque Sauce:
DSCN0585.jpg

This was another favorite of my Gram's, but had the same problem for me as the Lamb Chop did - overcooked! Otherwise it would have gotten a 10 rating from me! The sweet potato puree had some spices in it...I could definitely pick out cinnamon, maybe cloves and allspice? The sauce was sweet and spicy, and two on top of a piece of beef.....yummy! Another thing I wish they would serve at a restaurant so I could get a whole serving and have the beef cooked medium rare. Gram loved the beef and the sweet potato puree, but wasn't a fan of the sauce since it was too spicy for her liking.
We both rated it an 8.

That was the end of our grazing around the world. My eyes were much bigger than my stomach apparently. There were soooo many other items I wanted to sample, but we just did not have that much room. I actually wish the portions were SMALLER (with smaller prices) so I could sample more.

If we didn't have a dinner ADR, we would have stayed, taken a break, and then kept going!

I've only been to the F&W Festival one other time, in 2006, and while some people claim it's gone down in quality, I enjoyed it MORE this time around. Probably because I got to eat more! :rotfl: To truly appreciate F&W, I would say one would need to give it a good 3 days and six meal times.

Coming up next: Birthday Dinner at Citricos!

it's a shame the F&W offerings aren't all, say, $2, with smaller bite size portions...that way you could sample more and fill up on favourites. I love mushrooms, even s@@t ones!

Great reviews and pics - really enjoyed reliving the F&W Festival through your last update. We really liked the tenderloin & sweet potatoes from South Africa ... a very tasty combination. :thumbsup2

it's a shame the F&W offerings aren't all, say, $2, with smaller bite size portions...that way you could sample more and fill up on favourites. I love mushrooms, even s@@t ones!

I know, that would be great if they were one or two bite servings for $2!

I love the flavor of mushrooms, but sometimes I dislike the texture when they're cooked and in whole pieces, so usually chunks of them in soup would turn me off, but apparently I'm ok with ***take!

Great reviews and pics - really enjoyed reliving the F&W Festival through your last update. We really liked the tenderloin & sweet potatoes from South Africa ... a very tasty combination. :thumbsup2

Thanks - I definitely enjoyed sampling everything in order to bring you this review! :laughing:

November 2nd was my Gram's actual birthday. We also decided to celebrate mine on this trip since it was October 27th. We both agreed that we wanted our special birthday dinner to be at Citricos. We ate here back in early April on our last trip and really fell in love with it.

We didn't have time to go back to POP between Epcot and dinner, so we just took the Monorail over to the GF and hung out in the lobby until our ADR time. I love the atmosphere here - it's kind of fancy and upscale, but you don't feel out of place because most people are walking around in t-shirts! We sat on a couch in the middle and listened to wonderful Pianist.

When our ADR time arrived (7:35) we checked in at the podium and I asked if Keira, the waitress we had last time, was working. They said she was, but that none of her tables were free. So we decided we would rather not wait and give someone else a try.

The hostess lead us to one of the few tables in the restaurant that have a partial view of Wishes! I felt like they did they special for us, because when they set down our menus, they were each personalized with our names and, much to my Gram's dismay, the ages we were turning! :rotfl:

We were greeted almost immediately by our server, Nancy. She was a fun bundle of enthusiasm with a very pronounced Minnesotan accent! She talked to us for a bit about Gram's dietary concerns and assured us there would be no problem. I knew I wanted wine with this meal, but hadn't decided on anything yet, so she went and got us some water and bread in the meantime.

We ADORE the bread at Citricos. Everyone in our family is a carboholic so good bread is like oxygen for us! It's baked fresh in house and there's a sundried tomato and a multigrain. I like the sundried tomato and Gram likes the multigrain, so that works out well. :cutie:
DSCN0597.jpg

It's served with nice, real butter, sprinkled with sea salt.
DSCN0598.jpg

We had to ask Nancy for some extra salt since my Gram hogs it all (and also needs it for the rest of the meal).

It's so hard for me not fill up on the bread here!

I finally made my wine selection after we agonized over what food we would be ordering - although I'm a big believer in the "drink what you like" school of wine selection, I didn't want it to totally clash!

So I went with the only champagne they had by the glass:
Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut
DSCN0599.jpg

This was certainly tasty, good champage, but it wasn't my favorite. It was a little too.....toasty on the finish for my tastes. I'm glad I had some bubbly with our celebratory meal, but it's not something I'd want to spend $15 bucks on again.

After we had noshed on some bread, Nancy brought us out an amuse-bouche, compliments of Chef Cory for our birthdays! :goodvibes

It was a Chorizo Croqueta with Violet Mustard Sauce
DSCN0596.jpg

Yum Yum in our tums! We love chorizo. These were just perfect - crispy, hot, soft on the inside, and bursting with an attention grabbing flavor. The violet mustard was tart and really woke up your tastebuds in good way. A perfect dish for an amuse-bouche!

As we were eating our croquetas, Chef Cory came out and spoke with my Gram about what she could eat. Last time they let her order off the kids menu, and she liked what she had so much, she got almost the same dish again! Chef Cory was very sweet and personable with my Gram. He knelt down to talk to her and acted like he had all the time in world and that he wasn't responsible for cooking for anyone except us!

After our consultation with the chef, we decided to split an appetizer of
Arancini- Crispy Risotto with Italian Sausage, Four Cheeses, and a White Truffle Aioli
DSCN0600.jpg

Now this dish normally comes with four of those balls, but they split the serving for us before bringing it to the table. :cutie:

Wow were these little buggers fantastic! Whoever came up with the idea of frying balls of risotto is a genius! I loooved the white truffle aioli - so earthy, a nice flavor for the fall on top of the light cheesy goodness.

Wishes started while were enjoying our appetizer. They don't pipe in the music at Citricos since most tables don't have any view of the fireworks, but it was still awesome to look up from the food and see the fireworks. :)

After we finished the appetizer, they gave us a few minutes before bringing out our entrees. I HATE when your entrees arrive while you're still working on the first course, so I appreciate the effort that goes in to timing this.

Gram had a specially made kid's size meal:
Seared Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Risotto and Broccolini
DSCN0607.jpg

This was a wonderful little 4oz (or so) tenderloin cooked perfectly to Gram's medium rare specification. Just a simple lightly seasoned steak that was delicous and melt in your mouth tender. The mushroom risotto was great, as was the broccolini. Gram adored this meal just like she did last time. One of the best parts? They only charged us $13 for it!

I selected the Roast Chicken Breast - Tanglewood Farms Chicken with Pappardelle Pasta, Wine-braised Artichokes, Grape Tomatoes, Basil Pesto, and a Savory Chardonnay Broth
DSCN0609.jpg

Another wonderful Citricos creation! The skin was all seasoned and salty and the meat was so moist and perfectly cooked. The pasta was obviously house made and just wonderful with the pesto. I don't think I have ever eaten fresh artichoke hearts before....and these were great. None of that tart, tinny flavor you get from the canned kind.

Now....on to the most important part: DESSERT! :woohoo:

Luckily, one of the desserts already on the menu safe for Gram to eat, so that's what she ordered.

Honey Spice Cake with Caramelized Pears and Poached Cranberries:
DSCN0613.jpg

What a perfect autumn dessert this was! The cake was almost wet, but not at all soggy. It wasn't too sweet, and was full of warm spice flavor. The pears were so good. I'm not a cranberry fan, but Gram really loved the whole dish. I liked how it was sweet but not too sugary - this isn't one of those desserts that make you feel too full and heavy afterwards.

For my pick, I had the Lemon Cheesecake with Fresh Raspberry Sauce:
DSCN0614.jpg

Oooooooohhhhh. :cloud9: My. :) This was the the best thing of the whole trip! :rotfl: This was a cheesecake, but the texture was different than any other cheesecake I've ever tried. It was.....smoother, very creamy, but not as heavy as regular cheesecake. And the lemon flavor was outstanding - ever so slightly tart, but mostly just Lemony! I love all the fun garnishes on this dish. The big net piece was like a spun, caramelized sugar. It was really great to break off pieces of it and scoop up some of the cheesecake with! The little sign was dark chocolate, and the blue and white spirals were white chocolate. The red sauce was the raspberry, and I think the yellow was passion fruit. My one little complaint with this dish would be that there's not enough raspberry sauce to advertise it as a real part of the dish. Maybe a little bowl of it would be nice on the side, but the cheesecake is so good by itself you don't need the sauces. They are, however, just as tasty!

The lovely Citricos kitchen I would like to steal and plant in my house:
DSCN0622.jpg

Can I get those all to go please?
DSCN0619.jpg

And our wonderful Chef Cory:
DSCN0621.jpg

I wish I had gotten a picture of Nancy - if you go, you'll know her by the accent right away! :rotfl:

Another wonderful experience at Citricos. This is currently my top restaurant choice in all of Disney. They really make you feel special, and give your tatsebuds something to dance about! :wizard:

Wowza...that meal at Citricos is making me miss our dinner there!

I wish I tried the risotto balls! I had the chicken too and it was insanely wonderful and that honey spice cake, I have dreams about it! :goodvibes

MMMMMMM, that looks so good!

Had a chuckle at the yum in the tum expression....I always say "yummy in my tummy" too!

Wowza...that meal at Citricos is making me miss our dinner there!

I wish I tried the risotto balls! I had the chicken too and it was insanely wonderful and that honey spice cake, I have dreams about it! :goodvibes

I read your recent review and was surprised that we had 2 of the same dishes.

I noticed on your chicken, they put several little dollops of the pesto....mine just had the one and I had to mix it in.

And your cake....what was the whitish sauce that was on it? Creme Anglaise? Gram's didn't have that....I'm guessing whatever it was they just left it off for her?

I had been wanting to try the risotto balls since I first went to Citricos last spring. Like I said over on your DR, when does the next report begin? :rotfl: You have to go back to Citricos and have Arancini!

Tuesday November 3 was our departure day. :sad1: But we decided to say goodbye in style with a character breakfast! :yay:

We had a 10:35 ADR and checked in at 10:15. They gave us a beeper, and as soon as we sat down to wait, it started buzzing!

We were led to a 2 top booth right next to the buffet. Oh yeah. :rotfl:

This was the view from my seat:
DSCN0648.jpg

We waited a little longer than I would have liked before our server came to greet us. But after that, she was very good the rest of our meal. I can't recall her name right now.

We ordered some coffee and OJ and were told to dive in when we were ready, but we were greeted by a visitor before we could make it the 3 steps over to the buffet:
DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

Donald was very cute. I loved watching him walk away because his tail waddles. :goodvibes

I made a preliminary walk around of the buffet begfore picking up a plate. I was pretty impressed by all the offerings. Everything looked delicious, fresh, and didn't have the appearance of sitting out too long.

My first plate:
DSCN0651.jpg

You can obviously pick out the asparagus. Then starting with the little cup going clockwise: REAL maple syrup, Mickey waffle, cheese and pepper omelet, pork sausage, breakfast potatoes, and breakfast pizza.

The asparagus was good, not over cooked, but a little too on the oily side. I liked the flavor though. Just wasn't wild over having it with breakfast, so it's not anything I got more of.

I'm so happy they had real maple syrup. I especially loved that they provided the little cups for it, so you didn't have to get syrup over all the food on your plate.

The Mickey waffles were fantastic as always. They're that good Belgian waffle style - light, fluffy, somewhat sweet, and delicious. One of my favorite Disney foods! They could not keep those things coming out fast enough. People were always waiting around like vultures to attack the platter when they brought out more.

The omelet was great. Really fluffy eggs, not overcooked, not runny...just perfect.

The sausage was good. I liked dipping it in the maple syrup. Wasn't anything to write home about, but if you're wanting sausage, it will certainly please you enough.

The potatoes very nicely seasoned and hot, but they were a tad too oily and could have been cooked more, IMO. I like it best when they're kind of cripsy around the edges.

The breakfast pizza was quite a surprise to me. For some reason, it just didn't look all that great to me, but I wanted to be open and sample it. I'm really glad I did, because I loved it! I'm not even entrely sure what was on it....eggs, cheese, and some sort of light green veggie? I knew the flavor but for the life of me can't place what it was.

My Gram got eggs to order since all the egg dishes already on the buffet had dairy in them. The waffles have dairy in them, but they can make special dairy-free waffles, so this was Gram's first plate:
DSCN0655.jpg

Two eggs over easy, a sausage, and some Mickey Waffles. I tasted the waffles and them seemed a bit less sweet than the regular ones, but other than that, they were just as good. My Gram was very pleased with them and her eggs.

Part of my next trip to the buffer including this fruit plate:
DSCN0654.jpg

I really enjoyed this because everything was so fresh, ripe, and tasty. Alot of times, fruit in restaurants isn't any good....it's just not ripe enough or not high quality but it's all they have to serve because it's what they got shipped. All of these fruits, however, were really good! Especially the watermelon! Usually we don't have good watermelon so late in the season...it peaks in August, so this was a great surprise.

We had another visitor:
DSCN0656.jpg

DSCN0657.jpg

It was about 11am by this point and Cape May was getting pretty empty, so the characters were wondering around and visiting tables 2 and 3 times. So I guess thats the secret for great character interaction - eat breakfast late!

Another plate for me:
DSCN0660.jpg

To the right of the syrup cup is a piece of bread pudding with vanilla sauce. This was pretty good, it was very dense and moist. Not the best, but I liked it. The eggs on this plate were plain scrambled. They were great, a huge step up from the POP food court eggs!

Gram with "Gooshy", as my brother called him when he was little:
DSCN0659.jpg

I had a 3rd plate (can you believe it?) but I got the same items, save for a random little pastry. It was croissant type bread with some chocolate and icing drizzled on it. Good, but the same stuff you could get anywhere at WDW, so I took one bite and then saved my calories for the hot items.

Our server kept our OJ and coffe filled throughout the meal and was quick to get any anything we needed, like extra napkins.

We really enjoyed Cape May. It was still busy and hectic, but the noise level was very tolerable. The characters interaction was great for us. I'm not normally a buffet person because a) it's so easy to overeat, b) I don't feel like I get my money's worth, and c) the food isn't too good. But I like most of the buffets I've been to at Disney. It's a good way to get in some character time without having to wait in line, and the food is quite decent and sometimes great. Even though they can be $20 or more, compared to our other sit down meals, it's a cheap option at Disney.

Overall, we give Cape May a 7.5. Only considering it as a character meal and not pitting it against everything else, I'd rate it a 9.

Thank You for joining in my DR. This is my last review for this report, but I will be back in about 2 weeks with a whole new DR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter