The HHI report that reads like a novel...

Hi Gopherit! I am posting a big thank you from me and my mom, who is a big time DIS lurker :rolleyes: :goodvibes :teeth: We both loved your HHI trip report and I pointed out your links on your siggie to her so she can read the "13 days..." trip reports also! I really liked your HHI novel :sunny: I can really relate to that whole wild lifeguard thing and how you felt when the comments were made to you and your DS. We have some similarities of spirit there... :blush:

Thanks again for a great read!

Thank you so much for such a great report....we are hoping to go to HH for the first time in July 06 but can't book until 7 mnths so fingers crossed!!! Lets see the photos!!!
Debsx

:rotfl:

I LOVED your report. It does read like a novel!!!

Also, having just returned from Rehoboth Beach last Saturday, I knew exactly what you were talking about... at least about the Delaware part. I have yet to go to HH, but I am hoping to go in the next couple years. :sunny:

Thanks for the great read! :thewave:

Great report! I peeked in here at lunch and saw that you'd posted your HHI report and promptly canceled my plans for the evening to go home and have dinner in front of the computer and read it! It made me sorry we missed our HHI trip in June, but we'll get there one of these days. Very enjoyable read; thanks for taking the time.

That is one long trip report. :teeth:

Glad you had fun! :sunny:

I noticed that you booked at the 7 mnth mark.........did you book day by day or in a block? Did you get want you wanted straight away or were you on a waitlist?
Can't wait to see the photos!
Debsx

What a great trip report. I enjoyed every minute of it. We're headed for HH in October for 5 days and this makes me all the more excited about it. We were thinking of doing a dolphin cruise - so I really appreciate your advice about that. I may save this post as a favorite and print it out before we go and read it along the way to refresh my memory. Thanks for taking the time to post.

What a terrific trip report! DH and I have plans to go for a few days at the beginning of November. Neither of us has been to HH before, so your report has got me itching to go! Thanks! :sunny:

Debs Hill said:
I noticed that you booked at the 7 mnth mark.........did you book day by day or in a block? Did you get want you wanted straight away or were you on a waitlist?
Can't wait to see the photos!
Debsx

Yes, I booked day-by-day -- although I nearly screwed up the whole ressie, LOL! I had no problems getting the first 3 days of our ressie. Then we had a bit of a family crisis and - gasp- in the chaos of dealing with that, I forgot to call! I recognized my error two days later, and called on the third day to book the remaining days of our trip. Horror of horrors -- they could give me every day EXCEPT THursday the 11th! Right smack dab in the middle of our trip, there were no 2BRs left! I was all set to go on waitlist and hope for the best, and made a comment like, "Oh man, I feel so guilty now about not calling earlier! Of all the days to be missing, too! That is our actual 15th anniversary!" WHich it really is! THe CM says, "Hold on just a minute" and next thing I knew, about 5-10 minutes of holding, and her coming back on the line and saying, "Areyou still there? Just hang on!" she gets back on and says she has a 2br secured for us. I have no clue what she did -- I do know they put that one night under a different ressie number and linked them -- not sure why. I do know that once we checked in, it was seamless to us!

BTW, as others have noted before -- the best bet at the 7 mos window is a 2BR -- that's the most plentiful room at HHI. Studios and 1BRs are much harder to get, especially at peak season. If that's your goal, you may want to consider trading pts with a HHI owner or something like that.

Good luck getting a ressie -- it's worth it! :teeth:

jekjones1558 said:
Photos, I need photos! Forget about that unpacking and backed-up mail. I need PHOTOS! :wave:

And wouldn't I love to do just that, LOL! Seriously, I AM working on it -- I would much rather do that then face reality! But Shutter fly isn't being very nice lately -- I think I've labeled my pics 3 times over now and the darn system keeps timing out and not saving my uploads and such... those turkeys! :mad:

I hope to have them in and posted this weekend -- bear with me! :goodvibes

Keep everything crossed for me when I start ringing day by day in December! ha!ha! We have decided that we will take whatever we can get, so if it means splurging on a 2 bed then so be it!!

What sort of food is available at the resort? Are there many restaurants within easy walking/biking/driving distance?

What was the weather like for your trip?

love
Debsx

Another great report, gopherit! Your writing style is perfection....we like long-winded here! :teeth:

Debs Hill said:
Keep everything crossed for me when I start ringing day by day in December! ha!ha! We have decided that we will take whatever we can get, so if it means splurging on a 2 bed then so be it!!

What sort of food is available at the resort? Are there many restaurants within easy walking/biking/driving distance?

What was the weather like for your trip?

love
Debsx

There are worse things than being in a nice 2BR villa, LOL! Good luck with the ressies!

Our weather was as can be expected in a southern US summer... hot and humid! Actually, let me recant -- it really wasnt' that humid! I've had much much worse up here in the lovely mid-Ohio valley. ANd by comparison to the temps they had in HHI the week before we got down there, not that hot, either! They had been experiencing temps in the 100s the week prior, but the week we were there, I think it was 80s to low 90's. ON the beach, it felt very nice - very cool. We rode bikes to the beach in the evening and I don't ever recall thinking "UGH! It's too hot for this!" It was quite pleasant, actually. I went out on the balcony at dusk and didn't think it was too heavy out there then, either. We only had rain mainly on our first full day there -- just some spotty thunderstorms. BUt that's to be expected in the coastal areas that time of year. Nothing to ruin our day -- just come-=and-go thunderbumpers, as we call 'em!

As for food -- I was truly AMAZED at how close Shelter Cove is. VERY EASY WALK. Even faster by bike. Hardly worth moving the car for - you could press the gas pedal once and coast there, LOL! There are many restaurants right within walking distance, and hundreds more a VERY short drive away. At Shelter Cove, we ate at Scott's (seafoood, on the water -- good food, good ambiance!) Also ate at San Miguel's (it was ok -- decent mex food, although I hear from others we should try Santa Fe cafe next time a few miles down the road.) At the resort, however -- the nibbles are limited. We ate at two summer events sponsored weekly at the resort : the barbeque (this year it was every tuesday evening, under the shady trees by the pool area) and also the Shrimp Boil (low country seafood fare like gumbo and such; held at the beach house). Both of these were good. THe only other "food" places in the actual resort are Tide Me Over (over near the pool; it doesn't have indoor dining at all -- it's counter service and there are some tables under a covered awning to eat at, if you wish) and Signals (at the Beach House. It does have indoor dining, in addition to numerous tables under shelter and also out in the sunshine.) The food fare at both is quite similar: burgers, sandwiches, finger foods. We had lulnch at Signals and thought it was fairly reasonable in price and pretty good, as far as that sort of food goes! (Grilled cheese sandwiches, fries, and chicken tenders, etc.)

The island is LOADED with restaurants - your biggest dilemma is which place to try! SOme on our list for next visit, based on advice of others or our own interest: Sea Shack (it's a locals-thing!), Santa Fe (as noted already), and Old Oyster Factory (we're curious... it's a touristy thing, but what the hey. We're tourists!)

Happy dining -- let us know how it goes and where you eat! ;)

Gopherit, I really enyoyed your trip report. I gave up watching Oprah today to finish it! Haven't been to HHI yet, but it's on my list. We may try to go in Sept or October next year. Our youngest son will be stationed at Kings Bay Naval Sationed starting in December and going to HHI and visiting him will be a good combo trip. I also suffer from the singing gene. Drives my family crazy. :confused3
Mary

If I missed this info, please excuse the question.

How did you know the 17 year olds were on their own and if so how did they check in? You have to be at least 18 and have photo ID.

Hi Gopherit. We were there the same time frame as you guys, but just at the end of the week. In response to your human observation #2, it's funny...I think I know just the 17 year olds you are referring to. Now, I don't know that they were on their own, but there were two couples that age range hanging out around the beach pool. While we were there, I guess one couple got into a fight and the guy was yelling at the girlfriend as loud as he could, causing everyone at the pool to stop what they were doing and watch what was going on. I don't really remember any bad language used, but boy, it wasn't pretty.

I'm glad you didn't mention a Human Observation #6 -- crazy mom going down the slide, hurrying past kidos and making a fool of herself. :guilty:

We were the family that also had the crazy kid (DS) who was waving from the pool deck to all the people coming off the beach, and the one dancing in his own little world... profile of the crazy kid, tall, nine year old, tow-headed, big head (seriously) , big mouth but a big, big heart!

Sammie said:
If I missed this info, please excuse the question.

How did you know the 17 year olds were on their own and if so how did they check in? You have to be at least 18 and have photo ID.

I only knew that one of them was 17 - the other 3 may have been any other age. And as my DH and I also discussed, it was possible that there was some adult SOMEWHERE that was accountable for them - but if so, they never accounted to that person in public. Never saw another adult body in their party the entire week (and it's a small place - we saw a lot of these folks!) I'd like to think that if there were an adult present, the kids would have toned down on the PDA.... or the adult might have told them to.

But hey, as DH and I ALSO discussed, we're livin' in a glass house... our kids aren't teens yet, and we can't speak to what stuff they will do in the years to come despite our best efforts, LOL! And we're not such old poops we can't recall being teenagers, either...My mom never let me bring boyfriends on family vacations, but DH's did... but when his girlfriend got too "friendly" on the beach, his mom and dad let him know in no uncertain terms that was not acceptable!

gopherit said:
I only knew that one of them was 17 - the other 3 may have been any other age. And as my DH and I also discussed, it was possible that there was some adult SOMEWHERE that was accountable for them - but if so, they never accounted to that person in public. Never saw another adult body in their party the entire week (and it's a small place - we saw a lot of these folks!) I'd like to think that if there were an adult present, the kids would have toned down on the PDA.... or the adult might have told them to.

But hey, as DH and I ALSO discussed, we're livin' in a glass house... our kids aren't teens yet, and we can't speak to what stuff they will do in the years to come despite our best efforts, LOL! And we're not such old poops we can't recall being teenagers, either...My mom never let me bring boyfriends on family vacations, but DH's did... but when his girlfriend got too "friendly" on the beach, his mom and dad let him know in no uncertain terms that was not acceptable!

Very good advice, never say never until you have been there. ;) Usually you have to wait until the kids get older than 17 for them to want to be seen in public with you so it is possible that an adult was in the group, just not hanging out with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter