The Groovy New Pop Century FAQ Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tyler, Angela and Stephen for responding to my questions about connecting rooms. Stephen, your map of the layout of the rooms is great, and really gives me a feel for how the buildings are set up at Pop. I am glad to hear there are a lot of connecting rooms here, and that some of the King rooms are connecting as well. Early December is one of our favorite times to visit WDW, but I will keep in mind that it is Pop Warner time, and likely avoid Pop Century if our trip(s) ever overlap with this event. I really had never considered Pop Century before now, but the more I learn and read I am being swayed to give it a try our next trip.

blanq said:
I have never stayed at a value resort before (I have to admit that the deluxes have sucked us in!), however I do like the photos of the rooms at Pop Century and was realizing that two connecting rooms might be a nice option for our family. Also, can anyone tell me the times during the year when the Pop Warner kids take over this place, as I want to make sure to avoid those times of year.

I have to admit to being a "resort snob" and loving the deluxes. Having stayed only in deluxes for many yrs (from 1981-88), then trying CBR - which was quite an adjustment - I enjoyed it so much that I returned 4 or 5 times, with Swan/Dolphin stays in between, returning to Disney deluxe when AKL opened. I was extremely hesitant to try a value and would not ever stay at Allstars - but POP was more of draw, with the lake, location so near to EPCOT & MGM. It was also an adjustment both times. But I was far more prepared this last stay and was able to enjoy it more than the first time.

The rooms are small, but not tiny (larger than a European hotel room) and the decor is understated. The bathroom even has hidden Mickey's in the wallpaper! The POP has allowed an extra trip to Disney (esp with the codes) and being able to stay at a deluxe in between. In September we were at GF - which was heavenly! Not stiff at all - just delightful!

Maybe someone else will know for sure, but I'd read POP Warner go that first week of December. This yr it was 12/5-12/11?

Hope it works out..it is nice to have that extra pocket money for other things or simply not spend as much on a vacation!!

I'll be checking in to POP in three weeks :cool1: for the WDW Marathon. Any suggestions for room request.....what would be the quietest location to request? I'll be beding down early Saturday night and up and out at 3AM :scared1: Sunday morning.

Tyler, are you going to be driving any of the pre-dawn busses to the race start? Or are they going to be using Mears buses like they did for the 10K in October?

Also, I know some of the resorts will have a 'cash and carry' kind of deal in their food courts in the early morning hours on Sunday (race day)....will POP?

OK...that's enough questions for one post!

We were on the second floor (7055 and 7056..next to each other, but not connecting), and two nights MGM was rented out and we got to enjoy wonderful fireworks over the lake. Was it quiet? Gee, did someone say they cheerleaders were there? Wouldn't have known it from our rooms! So close to everything, and yet, so far away from any noise! We do wish we had been in 49-53..that maid was making the most amazing towell animals and Christmas decorations..and we passed them in the windows!

ibouncetoo said:
I'll be checking in to POP in three weeks :cool1: for the WDW Marathon. Any suggestions for room request.....what would be the quietest location to request? I'll be beding down early Saturday night and up and out at 3AM :scared1: Sunday morning.

The hard thing about quiet is that a lot depends on your neighbors. When you arrive you could ask at check-in which room available would be quietest at that time. If you put in a request I wonder if you could just say "quietest area possible" and maybe they'd put you in a room farthest from someone else? Both times I've faced the lake and that alone helps for quiet, I think. An end room might help too - less neighbors. Good luck with the room and the Marathon!!! :cheer2:

Oh, we saw the special fireworks at MGM too - fabulous!!

ibouncetoo said:
Tyler, are you going to be driving any of the pre-dawn busses to the race start? Or are they going to be using Mears buses like they did for the 10K in October?
My guess is that they will be using charter buses. (Mears, or another operator).

As for me, I'm back to being a night owl. :)

chesirekate said:
Christine, I'm much too shy to say anything to any of the Dis'ers I saw last week. I did point out several though, to my husband as we came across them. I figured nobody would no who the heck I was so what's the point? :) I would have said hi to you though, because I would have recognized your name from all of the Pop Century threads:)
I did like the decorations, they were subtle but pretty. I even took a pic of the one in the lobby between the gift shop and front desk. Really I thought the decorations were lovely all over the property that we managed to visit!

Angela,
I'm too shy too - easy for me write here, but in person..no way, unless someone else says hi first - then I'm delighted! My friend wore the DIS pin and was stopped several times...I was too shy to wear even that! Oh, we ran into TiggerandBelle (not sure I got the spelling correct) in the UK in World Showcase - that was great!!

I thought the decorations were pretty too. Cute. :)

I'm in room 3137. It's 50's building #3, main floor corner room. Rooms 3125-3136 (main floor) and second floor is probably 3225-3236 and third floor probably 3325-3336 look to have the best views toward Epcot fireworks. There is some higher foliage landscaping in front of at least the first 2-4 rooms beginning with 3125. I think the best room for me would have been directly behind us in 3136 as we prefer main floor. However, we got into this room before 2:00 pm so we were ecstatic! Check-in was smooth and friendly. The CM welcomed my request for a specific building and took her time searching for rooms we could get right into. Our luggage and grocieries arrived right before we did! The fridge was not in our room, but arrived within 15 minutes. CM's here have all been caring and attentive. I did notice a line at check-in by 3pm. We were first in line when we got here.

We went to MK yesterday just after 4pm and got right in with only our MVMCP tickets. The party was great even tho my DD8 princess: was not feeling well. :guilty: (This is a whole other story..it's a Murphy's Law kind of thing.) Other than my DD8 being under the weather, everything else has been superb! On second thought, it could be 80 degrees too! Oh well, I'm a Michigander and will just have to be happy I'm not at home watching the 6-12 inches falling over the weekend.

Tyler..are you on vacation? I've not seen the Chip'n'Dale Express yet!

northern michigan said:
Tyler..are you on vacation? I've not seen the Chip'n'Dale Express yet!
I just got back, actually.

Although, with over 1,000 drivers, I'm now harder to find.

We just returned from an excellent stay at the Pop Dec 6-9! We had connecting rooms 3442 and 3443! It was a nice quiet area with a view of the fireworks! We enjoyed the short walk to the food court and pools! Our mousekeeper was awesome. The first day she just left my daughter's "dolly" propped up in a cute way on the pillows. I left a little note asking if she knew how to do towel animals because "dolly" had been lonely in the room. I left the note beside the tip. That night we came back to a little mouse and a duck towel animal. Very cute! It was our twins birthday and I had let the front desk know. When we came back from the park there were cards and balloons from Minnie Mouse. Very nice!
The girls and I went to Guest Services to thank them for telling Minnie Mouse it was their birthday and just to say thank you for a really wonderful stay. The gentlemen at Guest Services gave the girls toy paddle balls as a birthday gift. Really nice and certainly not expected - we were just trying to say thank you!
Our stay at the Pop was full of positive memories. On our last day I took our twins around for pictures with Lady and Mickey etc. It was early morning and the girls were wearing their princess dresses. Rachel is a real morning person and she was saying "Good Morning" to everyone we passed. A lot of people were walking with their heads down - still in that waking up mode. And the look on their faces when that little "Good Morning" came bellowing up at them - they couldn't help but smile. I like to think she put a little pixie dust in to people's days and started them off with a smile.
I can't say enough good things about the Pop! Really really really enjoyed our stay!

northern michigan said:
Tyler, what's your route? My two DD's are watching for your animals in the front window. Are they still there? We love POP!
I drive anywhere and everywhere. Unfortunetly Chip 'n Dale don't come out as often as I'd like... typically only when I'm working Magic Kingdom.

WOO HOO!!!

I just want to report that the decade totem poles at the front of Classic Hall have returned. Some of them suffered severe damage during Hurricane Jeanne, and were taken down to be rebuilt and strengthened. All but the 1970s have returned. I'm sure the 1970's (which was hurt the worst) will be coming back soon.

WOW - thats great! I was just there, but did not even notice the icon were missing...hate to say it, but think I liked it better without them..found them a bit of an eye sore on the front of the building. Oh,well...knew there was something I liked better about the front of the resort this time, but could not think of what it was..now the mystery is solved - missing icons!! ;)

Well I am down to hours now :cool1: I can not believe that I will be in the air tomorrow at this time :earboy2: Thanks everyone for all your great information. I have passed this website on to a co worker who is coming to the World next year. I told her that she HAS to check this site out to be sure that she gets all the right information and even get info on things that she may not of thought of. Well I will see you Mickey TOMORROW!!!! :cheer2:

I am staying at POP on the 27th Dec 04 for 2 weeks. As my son has been unwell we will need a fridge for his medecines. I understand that there will be no charge for this? Do i request a fridge when i get there or now? I also need bed rails too - again when do i request these.

I would also like to put in a request for a non smoking 50's building high floor room with a view of fireworks - should I do this now too?

I am travelling from the UK - does anyone have an email address for pop - how should I contact them the best - I don't want to annoy anyone!

thank you very much - I am really looking forward to my holiday!!

jo
xx

jojj said:
I am staying at POP on the 27th Dec 04 for 2 weeks. As my son has been unwell we will need a fridge for his medecines. I understand that there will be no charge for this? Do i request a fridge when i get there or now? I also need bed rails too - again when do i request these.
I would also like to put in a request for a non smoking 50's building high floor room with a view of fireworks - should I do this now too?
I am travelling from the UK - does anyone have an email address for pop - how should I contact them the best - I don't want to annoy anyone!
thank you very much - I am really looking forward to my holiday!!
joxx

Hi, Jo,
I am sure Tyler can answer your questions best, but since I'll share my experience as to what I would do - I've stayed at POP twice and at Disney reosrts more than 30 times.

Your non-smoking request should be on your reservation as a medical request because that is the only way it will be guaranteed - do so asap! I am not sure if they charge when a fridge is needed for meds, but be sure to have that on your reservation as well. Bed rails too, request now.

I would call CRO and ask them to let you speak with guest services for help since your requests are medically related, or they can do so for you. They helped me in December.

It's going to be a very busy time and already crowed when you check-in. 50's & 70's are very popular building requests. Both sections have some views of fireworks (which are in the distance, not like being close. You'll will probably need to go out on the walkway to see them unless your room is just right to see from the small window). The highest floor is 4, so you could request 4th fl, fireworks view in either 50's or 70's - that will give them something to work with. It's such a busy time to check-in that I would try to be prepared not to get the view you request, but be delighted if it works out! :)

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday!!!

hi
thank you christine.

my son has very bad asthma at the moment and is needing the inhalers day and night so a non smoking room is very important. so I should ring up guest services? is that at pop century?

i booked through virgin holidays i have told them i need a fridge.

thank you for all your help

jo
xx

Hi, Jo ~

It's too early to call POP directly about requests, but if you have your reservation number you could call CRO (central reservations) and they can be sure your requests are in your reservation accurately and they can speak with customer service/guest services. Otherwise I think you'll need to call Virgin Vacations and make it clear to them your requests are for medical reasons and that they have that in your reservation request with Disney.

I hope it works out perfectly - Disney is so good about trying to help when it's medical issues. It just helps if they can know in advance.

Happy Christmas! (I was in London a few times during December and loved it!) :wave:

thank you christine - i have called them and I have called virgin too to make my requests!

I love london too!!

thank you for all your help

have a happy christmas too

love from

jo
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter