The Goofy Identity (Just whose side are you on anyway?) - Compleated!

Chapter 8: Redemption

C08-301_zpscvdi2ex1.jpg

Part : 3 - Deciding to get on the train…

Just another way of saying that you’re going to follow along.

You might be starting off on a new adventure, continuing onward with a known one, or just agreeing to be part of the group. All apply here. Philosophically, we’re rejoining the group of misguided soles that count themselves as Disney fanatics. Yes, we’d strayed to the Dark Side, and truth be told, we could fall of that wagon again. But it’s here that we feel at home. Here that we spend long hours recounting previous trips and plotting out future ones.

We’re on that train.
Or maybe monorail might be a better analogy.

Regardless, the journey continues and despite a few setbacks and some general inconveniences, we’re quite comfortable with our choices.

And I’m perfectly happy to get back to telling the story.

Oh, and by the way…
This bit of the tale is kind’a short (reading wise), so there’s even something here for you to be happy about.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Back to Earth

I might have mentioned in the last chapter that Mother Nature had become just a tad bit… ummmm… quarrelsome. I might also have mentioned that we considered this a possible cue that maybe we ought’a consider wrapping up our afternoon explorations of the World Showcase (least we become caught up in a potential deluge). Well the longer we considered these points the more questionable things became.

C08-302_zpsh7qgfy92.jpg

Time to get a move on. The hope was that we could outrun the approaching storm.
And we’d have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for those meddling kids and their dog…

I mean…
if we’d have run at a dead sprint

But that’s not something that suited either of our sensibilities. As it was we did manage to get about as far as the “Fountain of Nations”…

C08-303_zpsafti5how.jpg

…before the skys commenced to open up.

Tamara had one of those clear ponchos in her bag and quickly pulled it out.

I, on the other hand, had no such contrivance.

What I did have was a guardian angel named Tamara. She opened hers up and threw the thing over both our heads. Good thing it was clear or we’d then have been playing a rather odd variant of Blind Man’s Bluff.

The nearest shelter from that point just happened to be an Umbrella. The “Electric Umbrella” to be exact. A significant crowd had reached a similar conclusion a mite quicker than us so we merely hopped onto their thought train and joined the crowd hunkered down inside to wait out the monsoon.

It took maybe fifteen minutes or so for that heavy band of rain to pass over head. One good thing about all that wind we encountered is that it meant the storm was moving along pretty quickly. There was a slower and steadier rain following along behind it but that’s something we were unaware of at the time.

When things did calm down, we headed out once again in our poncho built for two toward the front of the park. As we cleared the front of Spaceship Earth, there were two more clear observations presenting themselves…

C08-304_zps7ozvzawe.jpg

First was that conditions were again deteriorating a bit.

And second…
that there was virtually no line for Epcot’s original primer attraction.

The choice seemed blatantly obvious.

We got onboard another kind of train…

C08-305_zpszugntauh.jpg

I miss Uncle Walter telling the story of communication and honestly I’m not a fan of the little interactive “build your future” game/distraction that they’ve added to the mix, but the experience as a whole still keeps SE ranked as one of the better dark rides around.

It’s long enough to allow one to relax and rejuvenate a bit
(which is also why I like to hit this one later in the day).

It tells a good story and plays effectively on your senses in doing so.

And it has that hard to quantify notion of wonder about it.

I mean, who’s not moved at the point where your “time machine” reaches the top of the sphere and everything opens up to the image of our home world and the vast star field beyond it.

I tried to get a couple of images from the inside and none of them turned out all that spectacular.
Not surprising to be sure, but I did get one of them to at least be somewhat discernible…

C08-306_zpsnuxacbdl.jpg

A vision of my past.

When I first started off in the world of working stiffs, it was in a room that looked very much like this, magnetic tape drives and all. A major part of the day’s work was spent running for and loading hundreds of those reel to reel storage tapes fast enough to satisfy the demands of the applications that were running our business.

Oh but we did have direct disk storage as well
(we weren’t completely archaic, I’ll have you know).

No, there were banks of some the best IBM disk drives available at the time.
Here’s an idea of what the rest of the room looked like…

C08-307_zpsmwimqi8d.jpg

There were banks of “3350” mass storage unites; twenty eight of them if I remember correctly and in our computer room those behemoths were supplemented by a set of slightly older series “3330” unites as well.
All that hardware combined to offer up a mindboggling storage capacity of just under 1 gig.

Yes I said a gig.

Unum… ένας … uno… einer… une… один …
ceann… אחד … ett… một…

One single solitary gigabyte

I carry a small thumb drive in my pocked on a daily basses that will hold twenty-eight times that, cost me less than $20 and is already considered to be old and clunky technology these days.

Lord I’m old…

Wait a minute…Did I just go off on a tangent again?

Lord I’m old.

Ok, we were just getting off of Spaceship Earth. I think. Well that’s where I’m going to pick back up on this unnecessary part of this unnecessary TR.

So if you’re goofy enough to still be following along, then that’ll just have to be good enough for ya’.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Pictures for no good reason…

As I was sayin’…

Once hopping off that train, we quickly determined that the storm had moved on; which was a good thing.
We also determined that it had been replaced instead by a steady light drizzle…

C08-308_zpsuvn3e0le.jpg

…not such a good thing.

So now what?
How about hopping on a different train then?

Done.

Time to hit the Epcot Monorail.

Is far as I’m concerned, a couple of turns on Disney’s monorail system is a moral imperative. Riding all three lines is also a fine idea but if you’ve got to pick only one (and bless your heart if that’s the case), I’d choose the Epcot line. My reasoning is simply because it’s the longest, and in the midafternoon it’s generally not too crowded either. That second condition makes the ride that much more enjoyable.

We climbed aboard the first train bound for the TTC and set back to enjoy the ride. The rain gave a different and maybe a somewhat gloomy look to the scenery, so pictures weren’t a bright idea. At least not at first.
By the time we got to the TTC though, I’d changed my mind…

C08-309_zpsqu4wwllw.jpg

And being as the ride back to Epcot offers a famously tantalizing sneak peak of Future World to those that have never seen it before (and to those that have seen it for that matter), I kept snapping pointless pictures.

As such I now intend to inflict said pointless pictures on you.

Suckers!!!

(or you could just scroll on down, ya’ know.)

C08-310_zpsxnksw0sr.jpg

That crappie picture there illustrates the one flaw with this plan
(well, maybe just the first flaw, but certainly a flaw),
that being you actually don’t get a particularly good view of the park’s icon from the monorail.

This is partly due to proximity as the track basically hugs the outline of the Spaceship Earth. It’s also partly due to the fact that every other site is best seen from the right hand side of the car and I therefor had forced myself to shoot across the cab just to capture any of it at all.

But since I’m just showing you pointless pictures in the first place…
making sure that their crappie as well just adds to the total effect of this section.

Don’t ya’ think.

But, if you are looking out the other side of the car (and past all the rain water beading up on the windows), then right off the bat you end up with a rather nice view of Mission Space…

C08-311_zpsbjqats7v.jpg

Followed by the new façade of Test Tron…
errr ummm… I mean
Test Track

At the apex of the loop you get your first glimpse of the American Adventure
Commanding its spot at the heart of a rather soggy World Showcase…

C08-312_zpsz7ynmnhq.jpg

Swinging around to the west side of the loop you encounter the Jumping Fountains with
Journey into Imagination looming in the back grounds
(somewhat pitifully, but looming none the less)…

C08-313_zpsqhdxbgxf.jpg

Then in quick succession you catch site of The Land pavilion peaking up through the canopy of trees like a distant glass mountain…

C08-314_zpslmlzkpfo.jpg

And The Seas, stoically tucked into its cozy corner…

Next stop…
Back to the monorail station and the end of this day’s visit to Epcot.

Time for just one more “ride”
A short trip on another type of train…

C08-315_zpsetietkbz.jpg

To rest our feet a bit more we climbed aboard the tram and let it haul us back out into the parking lot.
After that, it’s but a short drive over to Riverside and a refreshing break back in our current home in the Bayou.

Time to wait on the guys and get organized for our final bit of park time.

Wonder where that should end up being?

Meanwhile, back on the bus…

Now as I recall, the boys weren’t with us during the taking of the showcase.
No, they had headed off to catch a movie.

An opening day viewing of this one I do believe…

C08-316_zps3lhhatwi.jpg

I figured that I should add their side trip to the TR, because their experiences were most certainly part of the overall journey. I did quiz them on this side mission afterward. That resulted in a hand full of mostly monosyllabic answers and descriptions. But to help with the process they did have a sum total of zero pictures that I could also use in the telling of the adventure.

So now what?

Well I think I’ll just enlist some of the folks up there in that last picture to help tell the tale then.
Surely they can do as good a job of it as I could.

So let’s get started then…

C08-317_zpsjolgingg.jpg
?

Now if I remember correctly it is possible that the guys encountered a just bit of trouble navigating the bus system, but it truth that didn’t really set them back all that much.

C08-318_zpsgsbvwgk5.gif

Well… that’s not entirely true.

Actually the bus did end up having a hand in interfering with their plans somewhat.
But it had nothing to do with the rout or schedules or the like.

No, the trouble came in the form of a repeat performance.

All was going smoothly at first. They’d sorted out their problems catching the right bus pretty quickly, got to DTD, and made a bee line for the theater. On the way one of them thought to make a quick check of the time to ensure sure that their scheduling was till good. For folks their age (and most everyone younger than me for that matter), checking the time means reaching into one’s pocket to retrieve the ever-present cell-pho…

Wait a second, It’s not here!

What’s not here?

Dude… I think I left my phone on the bus.

C08-319_zps4yabxegs.jpg

Again!

Seriously!

Yep… seriously.

Toncy had succeeded in re-misplacing the same phone that he’d only recently retrieved after having initially misplaced it just the night before.

I honestly do not know what we’re gonn’a do with that boy.
Sully had a good suggestion on the subject though…

C08-320_zpsh5gof7oz.jpg

The two of them quickly spun around on their heels and sprinted back to the bus stops, hopping beyond hope that they could find and catch the ride that had just dropped them off.

Not likely right?
Well, as it turns out the bus in question was still sitting there.

Inconceivable!

The only problem was that when they got to it, the driver was gone. Driver shift changes often take place at DTD, and that’s exactly what was happening here. The new wheel jockey listened to their tale of woe and happily allowed them to search the bus. To no avail, though. It was then suggested that the other guy may have found it as they generally make a quick sweep of the vehicle looking for such wayward items before turning it over to the next driver. If that were the case, then he may also turn it in to DTD’s Lost and Found.

So now they had to trek down toward the Market Place part of Downtown to find Customer Service.

Upon arrival it was determined that none of the drivers had brought anything in recently, but even if someone had or might later on, everything would be forwarded on to the main location over near the TTC at the end of the day. The best bet was going to be inquiring about it tomorrow morning.

Instead of the phone, all they had to show for the retrieval effort was one of these…

C08-321_zpsplrrchnr.jpg

This unplanned odyssey also caused them to miss the start time on the film that was the goal of the entire expedition. Being opening day and also being on the grounds of the place that was behind the film in the first place did ensure that it was showing on multiple screens though. That said, they still had a bit of time to kill at this point so they poked around a bit in the single most ridiculous and over the top gift shop on the property…

World of Disney

They didn’t buy a thing, but that’s actually an accomplishment when one ventures into one of the ultimate eye-candy stores for the Disney fanatic. And it allowed them to pass the time rather painlessly.

After a while they did finally get back over to the recently renovated theater…

C08-322_zpsodd3w6da.jpg

…and found that there was a healthy line just to get in the front door.
Apparently they weren’t alone in deciding this was a good idea.

I asked them what they thought of the updates to the theater.
The reaction was something close akin to…

C08-323_zpsrffhr2mt.jpg

Wow, indeed.

To get an idea of want they were on about, here’s a publicity photo of one of the theaters with the dining tables built into each of the rows…

C08-324_zpsi8wmz5mk.jpg

All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good way to relax and enjoy a film.
Not cheap, but we’re talkin’ Disney here, so that’s par for the course as well.

That leaves only one more question then.

So guys…
What did ya’ thin of the movie?

C08-325_zpsiu7b8xdh.jpg

And I’m not surprised one bit.

Next up: The last hurrah​

Last edited:
I think it worse for the long time park vets. Knowing what should be going on at the various stages of the drive makes the updates version more jarring. You still go through the two breaking tests, but there is no explanation as to why you’re doing so… you still crash through a wall before heading out on the high speed track, but there is no back story that gives you a reason for the effect. It just kind’a happens. The ride it still great, but the story got lost. Not very Disney.

Just looking at a ride-through video on YouTube, I suspected I'd miss the storyline. This confirms it.

Like I said: newlywed…
I was on a different kind of ride at the time.

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Thank you sir.
Sounds to me like y’all need a no-kids trip down there.
So do I for that matter. I need to work on that.

Well, I think I mentioned it before, but my wife and I were planning that as a big 40th-birthday celebration last year. And then Drew happened.

So, we thought, well why not do a big 41st-birthday celebration in 2015? I seem to be in line for a big promotion that would easily cover the cost, and...

Um...

42nd Birthday Spectacular, maybe?:confused3

The Trolls must have messed with your memory as well.

No, I just could never make any sense of that ride.

All is not completely lost here.
If nothing else it will include at least one stop at a place that at least one of my readers may actually find familiar…

photo04241502zz-jpg.91228

Uh oh. This is when I get nervous that I'll hear from one of my buddies: "Hey, I tried that place you recommended, and it was awful! Never going back!":rotfl2:

What I did have was a guardian angel named Tamara. She opened hers up and threw the thing over both our heads. Good thing it was clear or we’d then have been playing a rather odd variant of Blind Man’s Bluff.

Good thing she still likes you!:thumbsup2

And second…

The choice seemed blatantly obvious.

Yeah, I would agree that it's a no-brainer there. Now, if you were stuck in the rain next to Journey Into Imagination...well, the rain might be preferable.

There were banks of “3350” mass storage unites; twenty eight of them if I remember correctly and in our computer room those behemoths were supplemented by a set of slightly older series “3330” unites as well.
All that hardware combined to offer up a mindboggling storage capacity of just under 1 gig.

Yes I said a gig.

Unum… ένας … uno… einer… une… один …
ceann… אחד … ett… một…

One single solitary gigabyte

And we still landed a man on the moon!:thumbsup2

Is far as I’m concerned, a couple of turns on Disney’s monorail system is a moral imperative. Riding all three lines is also a fine idea but if you’ve got to pick only one (and bless your heart if that’s the case), I’d choose the Epcot line. My reasoning is simply because it’s the longest, and in the midafternoon it’s generally not too crowded either. That second condition makes the ride that much more enjoyable.

I could not agree more! I love the fact that the Epcot monorail gives you a look inside the park. On the occasions when I've been in Disney World but didn't have park admission, I'll still take a spin on this line just to enjoy the sights.:thumbsup2

What’s not here?

:eek::faint: I mean...

Not likely right?

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good way to relax and enjoy a film.
Not cheap, but we’re talkin’ Disney here, so that’s par for the course as well.

That looks pretty cool, actually. I wouldn't mind catching a flick with my meal just to see what it was like.

I might also have mentioned that we considered this a possible cue that maybe we ought’a consider wrapping up our afternoon explorations of the World Showcase (least we become caught up in a potential deluge). Well the longer we considered these points the more questionable things became.
Too late! Just hunker down in the nearest hole in the wall in the nearest country.

Tamara had one of those clear ponchos in her bag and quickly pulled it out.

I, on the other hand, had no such contrivance.
Of course you didn't.

And second…
Well, that's a good way to wait out another potential rain storm.

I miss Uncle Walter telling the story of communication and honestly I’m not a fan of the little interactive “build your future” game/distraction that they’ve added to the mix, but the experience as a whole still keeps SE ranked as one of the better dark rides around.
::yes:: Agreed

:eek: :crazy2: :faint: You're old...

I carry a small thumb drive in my pocked on a daily basses that will hold twenty-eight times that, cost me less than $20 and is already considered to be old and clunky technology these days.
::yes::

Lord I’m old…
I'm glad you agree.

Definitely the best monorail ride you can get. But you've got to make sure you're coming from the TTC to EPCOT.

And being as the ride back to Epcot offers a famously tantalizing sneak peak of Future World to those that have never seen it before (and to those that have seen it for that matter), I kept snapping pointless pictures.
Because this single detail is, hands down, the best part of the WDW monorail system. With the short bit of track through the Contemporary a close second.

Time for just one more “ride”
A short trip on another type of train…
Leaving a monorail for a tram... brutal.

I figured that I should add their side trip to the TR, because their experiences were most certainly part of the overall journey. I did quiz them on this side mission afterward. That resulted in a hand full of mostly monosyllabic answers and descriptions. But to help with the process they did have a sum total of zero pictures that I could also use in the telling of the adventure.

So now what?
Well, you could be like @Captain_Oblivious and just make it up as you go.

What’s not here?

Again??? Seriously???

Again!

Seriously!
Yeah, that's what I said.

The two of them quickly spun around on their heels and sprinted back to the bus stops, hopping beyond hope that they could find and catch the ride that had just dropped them off.

Not likely right?
Well there's one lucky break. You know, until the phone wasn't there.

Instead of the phone, all they had to show for the retrieval effort was one of these…
:sad2:

Did Max do his due diligence again and spam the text folder on the phone?

Wow, indeed.

To get an idea of want they were on about, here’s a publicity photo of one of the theaters with the dining tables built into each of the rows…
That is awesome. I have a hard time considering the idea of spending quality time in a movie theater at Disney World. But I think I could handle that. I think I just came up with an idea for something to do when I attend my conference in Orlando next year if spending money to enter a park doesn't seem like a great idea... :rolleyes1

du fortsetter som bestilt. Forseglingen er matet parot
Pingvinen flyver ved midnat, medmindre andet instrueret

Ulertuta …
Ezin oraindik zebra konfidantzazkoa dugu?

Well, I think I mentioned it before, but my wife and I were planning that as a big 40th-birthday celebration last year. And then Drew happened.

So, we thought, well why not do a big 41st-birthday celebration in 2015? I seem to be in line for a big promotion that would easily cover the cost, and...

Um...

42nd Birthday Spectacular, maybe?:confused3

Life does that…
42nd for sure then.

Actually, I just last night got “permission” to “research” the “possibility” of taking my bride down there - “maybe” - in late September for the F&W (something we’ve never experienced). If we were to stay off site and only stay a few days we just might be able to pull it off. Of course renting points and staying on site would be far more magical, but I’d have to convince either friends or family to join in and split the costs there; something I don’t see that as being very likely.

Uh oh. This is when I get nervous that I'll hear from one of my buddies: "Hey, I tried that place you recommended, and it was awful! Never going back!":rotfl2:

Not to worry…
I’ll go ahead and spoil the drama by tellin’ ya’ that you done good.

But I do know what you mean.
When I like a place, I also like to tell folks about it.
But not everyone has the same tastes, so there is always that risk.

Good thing she still likes you!:thumbsup2

Ain’t it though…
For some odd reason, she keeps not throwing me out.
Doesn’t seem to be in her best interest, but I’ll count myself lucky.

And we still landed a man on the moon!:thumbsup2

And that equipment was positively Neolithic compared to the now archaic stuff that we had just ten years later.
The total effort that it took to pull off that entire operation is still completely awe inspiring.

I could not agree more! I love the fact that the Epcot monorail gives you a look inside the park. On the occasions when I've been in Disney World but didn't have park admission, I'll still take a spin on this line just to enjoy the sights.:thumbsup2

It should probably be listed as a Man Law.

:eek::faint: I mean...

All I can say is :sad2:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I knew I could count on you.

That looks pretty cool, actually. I wouldn't mind catching a flick with my meal just to see what it was like.

It does actually. The way to use it would be to catch a late show on a non-park day.

Or maybe if - perchance - you just happened to be at DTD just for a day and - just by coincidence, mind you – also had been forbidden by – ohhh, I don’t know… maybe your significant other - from even considering entering a park…
Then a decent film caught at this venue, might be a mighty fine idea indeed.

Of course you didn't.

Hay…
I’ve got a guardian angel.
At least until she comes to her senses, I know someone will be lookin’ after me.

Well, that's a good way to wait out another potential rain storm.

Yep…
And not a bad way of escaping the heat either, so it’s got that going for it.

:eek: :crazy2: :faint: You're old...

I’d argue the point, but it’d be a pointless argument.

I'm glad you agree.

What were we talking about?

Definitely the best monorail ride you can get. But you've got to make sure you're coming from the TTC to EPCOT.

Yep.
Either that or a round trip (or two… or three…)

Because this single detail is, hands down, the best part of the WDW monorail system. With the short bit of track through the Contemporary a close second.

I’m not so much agreeing with my nemesis here as just noting the obvious by saying…

Yes… yes it is.

Leaving a monorail for a tram... brutal.

Had we not already been in the park that day, and been on-world all week as well…
It certainly would have been.

But we’ve got a bit more time coming up yet.

Who says I didn’t?

But Mark is the master, ain’t he.

Again??? Seriously???

Yeah, that's what I said.

It’s what all of us said. :sad2:

Did Max do his due diligence again and spam the text folder on the phone?

Alas, no.
That would have been priceless.

That is awesome. I have a hard time considering the idea of spending quality time in a movie theater at Disney World. But I think I could handle that. I think I just came up with an idea for something to do when I attend my conference in Orlando next year if spending money to enter a park doesn't seem like a great idea... :rolleyes1

My thoughts exactly when they told me about the plan.

As for your plan to consider it during a conference…
That one makes far more sense. You should pencil that one in.

Admit it, you guys like the horse-riding ambush story more than the actual details.

Not to worry…
I’ll go ahead and spoil the drama by tellin’ ya’ that you done good.

Whew!

But I do know what you mean.
When I like a place, I also like to tell folks about it.
But not everyone has the same tastes, so there is always that risk.

That's just the worst feeling in the world when it happens.

Or maybe if - perchance - you just happened to be at DTD just for a day and - just by coincidence, mind you – also had been forbidden by – ohhh, I don’t know… maybe your significant other - from even considering entering a park…
Then a decent film caught at this venue, might be a mighty fine idea indeed.

I'd take Scotty to see the new Avengers movie, but I think I'm forbidden from doing that without the rest of the family present too. In short, the only thing I have permission to do is buy stuff (not experiences) for the rest of the folks.

I'd take Scotty to see the new Avengers movie, but I think I'm forbidden from doing that without the rest of the family present too. In short, the only thing I have permission to do is buy stuff (not experiences) for the rest of the folks.

Chances are that there are other films being shown there as well. It's a pretty big place.

Better yet...
Have everyone else go see the Avengers film in town while y'all are traveling (I'm sure the rest of the young'ens would enjoy an evening out) and then you could take Scotty to see it during the trip (just to be fair since all his other siblings were getting to see it).

Chances are that there are other films being shown there as well. It's a pretty big place.

Remember that Bruce Springsteen song that went, 57 channels and nothing on? That's kind of how I feel about the other movies in theaters right now.

Better yet...
Have everyone else go see the Avengers film in town while y'all are traveling (I'm sure the rest of the young'ens would enjoy an evening out) and then you could take Scotty to see it during the trip (just to be fair since all his other siblings were getting to see it).

I'd have to convince my parents to see it, too. Or leave us alone for a couple of hours. That could take some doing.

Chapter 8: Redemption

C08-401_zpswoqyihsn.jpg

Part 4: Things that go Boom

It’s a guy thing.

Well most of the time it is anyway. Moments of high velocity rapid oxidation

It’s the kind of thing that just grabs and holds our attention.
In much the same way as bacon, beer, sports, fart jokes, bad puns or ridiculous April Fools jokes do.

Oh and Disney, let’s not forget that.

Yah, this analogy doesn’t apply to all guys. But it surly applies to enough to ensure the stereotype.
So what bearing does this have on the price of tea in China?

We’ll nothing (and it’s not my job to track of the exchange rate between the buck and the yuan anyway),
but it does have bearing on this chapter.

It’s one of the main reasons we’re going where we’re going.
Well, that, copious amounts of confections and of course, the irresistible draw of the crown jewel WDW parks.

So let’s get going.

Off on a Tangent…

As I mentioned at the end of the last part of this mess of a TR, We decided to head back to our spot in the Bayou. The plan was to relax for a bit, wait for the guys to show up and then invade a different Kingdom later on. When we arrived at our room the “Mouse Keeper” had been through just like every other day and things were nice and tidy just like every other day. But for the first time during this expedition we were left with an extra little present…

C08-402_zps6szoehaa.jpg

Oh look… It’s a Butt!

OK. That’s a bit of an inside joke.
On a prior trip that included a nice ground floor dwelling over at CBR, we received a similar such towel critter, but that one had been left setting on the a/c unit. As such, we saw it through the window as we were headed toward our room that day. Or more rather we saw the back side of it through the window since it was facing into the room. Not recognizing that orientation at first we stopped to look at the curious offering and discussed what type of contrivance it might be…

“What’s that?”

“A towel animal of some kind”

“Well, yah, but what is it”

“Well, from here it looks pretty much like a butt…”

Needless to say, this event now sticks in our head and every time since then, when we found that we’d been presented with a similar elephantine offering, our response has always been to laugh and remember our first impression of such.

Sorry, about that, but I had to tell you that story. It just makes a good lead in to the next picture.
This was our guest’s take on the proper use and application of an elephant towel animal…

C08-403_zpskkc27uqx.jpg

Well played sir.

And now we have even more reason to laugh when someone leaves one of those critters in our room.

Lost and Still Lost

After a rest, some calls back home to friends and parents, and maybe a little bit of rum for good measure…
It was time to head out toward our last park incursion of the mission.

Once again we loaded everyone into the car and headed for the TTC where once again I met up with my good buddy Zurg (the villain in charge of our particular parking lot this evening). The tram dropped us off at the Center and we immediately made a detour over to WDW’s main Lost and Found building
(remember, we had a wayward cell phone to deal with again).

Lost and Found is a separate structure off by itself over in one corner of the TTC complex. A structure which up until now, I’d no idea existed. But it does exist and for the time being, that’s a good thing.
Unfortunately the device we were in search of was not amongst the contents of their warehouse
(which I’m pretty sure resembled the Area-51 deep storage buildings from the Indiana Jones movies).

Obviously this was disappointing…
but a bit of research on the part of the CM uncovered details on a phone similar in description to our piece of hardware had actually turned up over at DTD.

Well that was promising at least.

She said she’d put in a requisition to have the thing transferred back here to the main center and that we should come back in the morning to check on it.

Good work on her part, I must say.

And now at least we now knew what we were going to be doing before breakfast tomorrow.

If you’re keeping score, that’s one unsuccessful mission objective down. Time to get back to the master plan; a plan which involved commandeering a monorail. Turns out though that the Express was headed toward our primary target anyway. So we simply hopped on board like the rest of the rabble.
A move that maintains our cover as well

Next stop, the Magic Kingdom…

C08-404_zpsashzlfca.jpg

Oh look, more rain…

Yeaaaaa…

The Rain in Moline

Obviously that rain we first encountered over at Epcot never really gave up the ghost; at least not yet anyway. The effects of this were plainly reflected in the fairly small crowd on Main Street and the larger number of folks headed out as opposed to in…

C08-405_zpsmbvbvylb.jpg

The low crowd led me to consider that maybe we should have taken this park on in the same way as we’d done Universal; wearing swim gear and purposely heading out at the height of the rain storms. I suspect that the standby lines were pretty short all afternoon given these conditions. Seriously, this may well be the closest to empty that I’ve ever seen Main Street in the summer time…

C08-406_zpsfgrekusg.jpg

OK, back to the job at hand.

Our first mission critical target for this park was actually a little bit of diner. Something counter service-ish in nature and with a fairly straight forward menu would be ideal.

Standing in the rain on Main Street that could only mean one thing…

C08-407_zpsm52v3nlq.jpg

Casey’s Corner

We ordered up a varied selection of hot dogs (chili, BBQ, foot-longs ect…), nachos, corn dog nuggets, fries drinks and even some cracker jack. Then the searched was on for a defendable spot to sit and consume. Being as it was still raining, the dining room was full, but there was a vacant table outside which came equipped with its own umbrella so that would do. Of course the direction of the wind ensured that what water dripped off said umbrella, would invariable drip down the back of my shirt, but really that’s kind of a First World problem to have (and par for the course as well). What I sould’a done was to lead every one over to the usually vacant Tomorrowland Terrace to savor our meal in dry and relatively uncrowded conditions. We’ll make a note of that thought during the post-operational debriefing and have it added into future incursion planning.

After consuming our rations, the order to move out was passed down the line. The next mission objective was situated due north of our position, but first we had to negotiate the barrier. A rather imposing fortress that had been put up as the primary guardian of our intended destination…

C08-408_zpsdhwbqozq.jpg

After studying the plans at length, it appeared that the simplest way to breach the walls of this defensive position was going to be driving straight through the main gates. We began moving cautiously through the main plaza toward the castle…

C08-409_zpsxzphxpzu.jpg

All those low hanging clouds combined with the setting sun and the fact that the “search lights” had not yet been activated, gave the imposing edifice a rather gloomy appearance. But the rain had finally subsided by this point, so conditions were actually much improved from here on.

So as to maintain our cover, we behaved like typical unsophisticated tourists by first snapping unnecessary pictures of the various bits of statuary in rather poor lighting conditions.

Starting with the representation of the founding fathers…

(Ok, so one’s a mouse… sue me.)

C08-410_zpsyymcz3gf.jpg

And of course, that last one is a nice shot of our organization’s patron saint.
Can’t be forgetting him, now can we?

Now… to breach the castle walls (which was actually a simple process).
We just fell into formation as the rest of the guards and marched smack through the main gate.

And remember to chant along to the guard’s cadence while undertaking this operation…

“Oh-WEEE-yo – Eee-YOOO-ohhh… Oh-WEEE-yo – Eee-YOOO-ohhh”

(yea, I know, wrong movie)

Something Old, Something a bit less Old

With the battle line shifted forward and the fortification secured, we advanced into new territory.
Directly into…

“Old Fantasyland”

C08-411_zpsrn7mixjt.jpg

Looks like we found that crowd we first thought had vacated the park.
Rain stops… people come back out… who knew?

Bogie at 9:00…
Just off to the left there, I have a positive ID on the current mission objective…

C08-412_zpssl0ttyzv.jpg

Mickey's PhilharMagic

The PhillharMagic is the fourth different theater/stage attraction to reside within the confines of this specific show building…

C08-413_zpsd0ial4lo.jpg

During opening day of the Magic Kingdom back in 1971, you’d have been giving up one of your precious
E-Tickets to see the Mickey Mouse Revue in this theater space.

That show ran up until 1980 and then the facility set dormant for quite a spell until
Magic Journeys moved here from Epcot in 1987.

Journeys was later replaced in turn by
Legend of the Lion King in 1994 and then by the current offering in 2003.

C08-414_zpsuufdqfhz.jpg

The other thing those three attractions have in common besides the venue is that I never saw a one of ‘em.
Not even once.

Now, getting back to the story…
If you have a photographic memory, you’d know that in truth, we’d already seen the PhilharMagic earlier in the operation. It’s a favorite of ours though and the guys had requested specifically to see this in particular once more before heading out in the morning.

How could I resist such a request?

That was all we’d planned on getting into as far as Old Fantasyland was concerned. The only remaining part of the Magic Kingdom that had yet to be explored (by us at least) now lay dead ahead …

C08-415_zpshdcxumk4.jpg

New Fantasyland!

(otherwise known as the: “FL Expansion”, or “FLX” in Dis-Board parlance)

C08-416_zps1llzeocm.jpg

(This shows you just how far behind the times I am in getting this dossier completed;
no one still refers to this part of the Kingdom as “new”).

First stop… Gaston’s.

Mostly we just wanted to take a look inside of want we’d heard was a well themed little counter service location. And it did not disappoint. Now, since we were there, and since the line was short, Max also decided to see what all the fuss was about in relation to another new offering here. One that’s generated a lot of talk with folks pretty evenly divided on its merits.

That being: “The Brew” or more correctly: LeFou's Brew.

The tavern’s own description of this concoction
(just in case you’ve been living under a rock for quite some time now)
describes it thusly:

“Frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow and topped with passion fruit-mango foam.”

We decided to forgo the souvenir mug/goblet in favor of just trying the potion itself. The cup got passed around among the members of the raiding party and we - in an uncharacteristically unanimous verdict – came down in favor of the stuff. I’d gladly have some more please. Now honestly I’m a fan of apple cider anyway, so this wasn’t all that far afield, but it was that “passion fruit-mango foam” bit of it that I believe really set things apart.

In fact! I believe it was this unexpected treat that caused the boys to become so distracted and drop their guard so far down that they willingly allowed us to take a picture of them. Moreover, they even posed for said picture. And then is a fit of hitherto unwitnessed reverie, allowed that pose to be a silly one. The net result of all that unbridled youthfulness was the embarrassing photo that would become the lead image for this entire TR.

This one here…

C08-417_zpsrzu0pz4e.jpg

Gaston and LeFou never looked so good.

So now what.
Easy!

Time for a new attraction.

I mean completely new.

Not repurposed and rethemed, but scratch built…

C08-418_zpsqlowypya.jpg

Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid

That’s the plans for the show building highlighting the various scenes and of course Disney’s long vaunted Omnimover system. It doesn’t illustrate the exterior or queue area which at MK is designed in general to mimic “Prince Eric's” castle and the surrounding cliffs. The actual “hard queue” is supposed to give you the notion of entering into the castle through an underground cavern at low tide. It is quite long so as to hold one almighty passel of folks at a time. However, it’s also quite elaborate so there are things to keep one occupied during that wait.

But then again, we got here pretty late in the day so for the most part the queue looked to us much like this…

C08-419_zpsbbillzbu.jpg

I like empty queues, and fast loading rides.

Oh, and by the way, the attraction itself is a winner too. A very nice diversion and well executed.
But we’re talkin’ Disney here, so we’d expect nothing less, now would we?

Things that go “Boom” in the Night

C08-420_zpsag0gzifk.jpg

Once we returned from under the sea, we resolved to just enjoy the scenery and impeccable theming for a bit. The 7DMT was under construction during our visit, so that wasn’t an option. The rebuild of Dumbo was amazing to see but not worth the wait. Not for us at least. Both young’ens in the group are already adults and as of yet have not frumped up any grandkids (and let it be known that they don’t need to be in any hurry on that account neither). A similar analysis could also be applied to the only remaining remnant of the old Toontown area: The Barnstormer. So basically we were just walkin’ toward tomorrow.

Tomorrowland that is.

Time was starting to run out on us here but there was certainly enough of it left for one more laugh.

Meaning: a return visit to the Laugh Floor.
(think we did that one three different times this trip; we must like it or something)

Once again, none of us succeeded in becoming “That Guy”, but it’s still a great bit of entertainment.
I’m pretty sure that Roz is still watching us. No matter though… it’s time for some desert.

As a bit of a lark and one last treat for our traveling companion, we’d gotten ourselves invited to the…

Wishes Dessert Party

This takes place at the Tomorrowland Terrace and costs a fee for the invite.
That fact alone will put most folks off.

The first potential upside to this is the obvious one.
The chance to stuff your face with as many desert type offering as you can cram into your maw.

C08-421_zpsgfzhrbhy.jpg

Now to be sure, that’s a really crappy picture…
But it does illustrate the potential for unabashed gluttony on offer here.

Nothing is more than a couple of bites so it’s easy to try a lot of different things. For the same reason, it’s also easy to leave anything that doesn’t quite hit your spot sitting on the side of the plate. Heck, you just go back for more of what you do fancy. All of it was good and a few things were quite good, but I will say that nothing was drop dead fabulous. If you’re picky, that might be another strike against for this party.

The other benefit of this add on is that they limit the total number of folks on the terrace from around 150 to 180 guests. Then you’re asked to stay and enjoy the Wishes fireworks extravaganza well away from the mosh pit in front of the castle.

The view from here is a bit off-center as far as the show is concerned, but still quite good.

C08-422_zpsotmmhzki.jpg

C08-423_zpsgddiyqvq.jpg

Since there is a roof over the Terrace you will have to stand at the rail to see the fireworks, but the minimal crowd here make this a fairly pleasant compromise. Some folks will also be disappointed by the skewed viewing position, but if you’ve seen the show a few times it’s not all that jarring.

You’ll absolutely get a good clear view of Tinkerbelle as she descends along the wire from the top of the castle directly toward you. So clear a view in fact that you may just be surprised to find that sometimes Tinkerbelle might actually be Tinker-Bill.

So…
Is this party for everyone?

No

Would I do it again?

Likely, but not every trip.
It’s the kind’a of thing where you can do it once, say that you’ve done it, and then move on.
Pleasant and filling even, but not a necessity.

The last few reports from the last few shells signaled quite profoundly that our time at the Happiest Place on Earth has basically come to an end.

Mission complete, time to evacuate.
We waited a bit for the crowds to squeeze out of the park and then final walked through the gates ourselves.

The ferry was waiting and so I got me just one more ride on ship to keep me satisfied for a while…

C08-424_zpsjez91sya.jpg

A decent view of the Contemporary from the decks of the ferry.
I probably need to stay there or in the tower just once.

Someday… someday.

Before we knew it, time was up and we were boarding a tram destined to return us back toward all the other villains.

C08-425_zpstv8dfobz.jpg

How appropriate.

Next up: Saying our goodbyes​

Off on a Tangent…
Aren't you always off on a tangent?

Oh look… It’s a Butt!
Now you sound like my 5 year old. :rotfl2:

Well played sir.

And now we have even more reason to laugh when someone leaves one of those critters in our room.

Unfortunately the device we were in search of was not amongst the contents of their warehouse
(which I’m pretty sure resembled the Area-51 deep storage buildings from the Indiana Jones movies).
I bet they've even got some ancient relics like this in there somewhere.

Obviously this was disappointing…
but a bit of research on the part of the CM uncovered details on a phone similar in description to our piece of hardware had actually turned up over at DTD.

Well that was promising at least.

She said she’d put in a requisition to have the thing transferred back here to the main center and that we should come back in the morning to check on it.

Good work on her part, I must say.
Well, nice that the CM at least put in the effort. Stinks that you have to come back though.

And now at least we now knew what we were going to be doing before breakfast tomorrow
I certainly hope that someone else will be getting their butt out of bed to go to the TTC before breakfast. :rolleyes1

What I sould’a done was to lead every one over to the usually vacant Tomorrowland Terrace to savor our meal in dry and relatively uncrowded conditions. We’ll make a note of that thought during the post-operational debriefing and have it added into future incursion planning.
Yeah. I never even thought about that one until I saw people hauling food from Casey's over there on our last trip.

The other thing those three attractions have in common besides the venue is that I never saw a one of ‘em.
Not even once.
You know, I'm not sure that I ever saw any of them either. I can say with certainty I didn't see the Mickey Revue or the Lion King shows. The other one I could have seen when I was little and don't remember.

(otherwise known as the: “FL Expansion”, or “FLX” in Dis-Board parlance)
I always thought it was referred to as NFL on the boards. :confused3

(This shows you just how far behind the times I am in getting this dossier completed;
no one still refers to this part of the Kingdom as “new”).
Um... well, some do. You know, when differentiating from the rest of Fantasyland.

My how the plans changed during the course of construction...

Mostly we just wanted to take a look inside of want we’d heard was a well themed little counter service location. And it did not disappoint. Now, since we were there, and since the line was short, Max also decided to see what all the fuss was about in relation to another new offering here. One that’s generated a lot of talk with folks pretty evenly divided on its merits.
Pork shank!!!!

That being: “The Brew” or more correctly: LeFou's Brew.
Oh yeah. There's that too.

In fact! I believe it was this unexpected treat that caused the boys to become so distracted and drop their guard so far down that they willingly allowed us to take a picture of them. Moreover, they even posed for said picture. And then is a fit of hitherto unwitnessed reverie, allowed that pose to be a silly one. The net result of all that unbridled youthfulness was the embarrassing photo that would become the lead image for this entire TR.
Um... I thought LeFou's Brew was non-alcoholic. :confused3 :rotfl:

So now what.
Easy!

Time for a new attraction.

I mean completely new.

Not repurposed and rethemed, but scratch built…
Scratch built, cloned from Disneyland, same difference.

The rebuild of Dumbo was amazing to see but not worth the wait.
Not worth the wait? There was a wait? I'm not sure I've seen a wait for Dumbo since they moved it!

As a bit of a lark and one last treat for our traveling companion, we’d gotten ourselves invited to the…

Wishes Dessert Party
Awesome! Something I've always thought looked like fun. Just not something we've ever tried. Now that they've basically doubled the price I'm not sure we will.

You’ll absolutely get a good clear view of Tinkerbelle as she descends along the wire from the top of the castle directly toward you.
Wire? What are you talking about? :confused3

So clear a view in fact that you may just be surprised to find that sometimes Tinkerbelle might actually be Tinker-Bill.
:eek: :scared1: :faint:

And there you go.

Ruining the magic.

And causing nightmares.

decent view of the Contemporary from the decks of the ferry.
I probably need to stay there or in the tower just once.

Someday… someday.

Aren't you always off on a tangent?

Worse…
I’m generally off on a crooked line.
It’s those tangents that actually get me to focus on anything at all.

Now you sound like my 5 year old. :rotfl2:

Never grow up!!

I bet they've even got some ancient relics like this in there somewhere.

::yes:: Pretty sure they’re on the same shelf with Walkmen and Kodaks

Well, nice that the CM at least put in the effort. Stinks that you have to come back though.

I certainly hope that someone else will be getting their butt out of bed to go to the TTC before breakfast. :rolleyes1

Could’a been worse...
We were leaving The World in the morning anyway and L&F happened to be along my chosen route.

Yeah. I never even thought about that one until I saw people hauling food from Casey's over there on our last trip.

Didn’t think of it either.
May have picked it up from your observations actually.

You know, I'm not sure that I ever saw any of them either. I can say with certainty I didn't see the Mickey Revue or the Lion King shows. The other one I could have seen when I was little and don't remember.

When I was a kid, they still used tickets. At that age I couldn’t justify an E-Ticket on a theater show. After that there was a long dry spell before I got back down there and by then, the place was in one of its dormancies.

I always thought it was referred to as NFL on the boards. :confused3

You may be correct…
I should probably travel through more of the various forums then I do.

Naaaaaaaaa…

My how the plans changed during the course of construction...

Wait, what!!!
We stole the wrong plans?!?

Pork shank!!!!

Would’a, could’a, should’a

Um... I thought LeFou's Brew was non-alcoholic. :confused3 :rotfl:

So far as we know.
Maybe there something in it that only effect adolescents

Scratch built, cloned from Disneyland, same difference.

I didn’t say it was original, only that it wasn’t rethemed.
Next you’ll be telling me that TriceraTop Spin and the Magic Carpets are nothing but clones.

Not worth the wait? There was a wait? I'm not sure I've seen a wait for Dumbo since they moved it!

Really? Hummm…
That’s interesting…

Awesome! Something I've always thought looked like fun. Just not something we've ever tried. Now that they've basically doubled the price I'm not sure we will.

Don’t know that I pay more for it either.
Was nice, but not to die for.

Wire? What are you talking about? :confused3

Utilitidors, costumes and soapsuds… Oh, my!

Bonus Feature 1:
Planes Trains and… ummm…
Horse Drawn Wagons.
B01-101_zpsmuz5frff.jpg

I’ve recently noticed a couple things.

Firstly that a number of the TR’s that I follow have taken to including “Real Life Updates” that are just as entertaining and just as enjoyable as the recounting of the trip itself.

The second thing I noticed is that this TR does not yet include any Bonus Features.
Not a one.

This gives me an idea (or maybe it’s just an excuse). Being as there is nothing “real” in my life that could be considered worthy of an “update” (or as entertaining) I think instead, that I’ll offer up something that recently occurred which is at least somewhat travel related (if not Disney related) as a bonus.

Or maybe as a punishment.

That said, y’all know how Bonus Features work around here, right?
So if you read any more of this foolishness…
I’ll not be held responsible.

Nuf’ said.

Anyway… a couple weeks ago, my lovely bride took a few days to go on a girl’s only trip with a good friend of hers. Since I was not along for the ride, I can’t really comment on that one too much other than to say that it appears that they had a great time. I’ll certainly offer her the opportunity to write something about it here at some point if the mood so strikes her, but it is probably best that I don’t go makin’ up stuff on her behalf (partly because, there are folks better at makin’ stuff up than I, and partly because I don’t want her getting’ any more angry then usual about something stupid I may have done or said).

So instead, I’ll make up stuff on my behalf.
(an easier prospect all around)

Since my boy was also still away at school during this time frame, the theory of least astonishment clearly postulates that I must have been left to my own devices for several days.

That is both true and likely a bad decision of somebodies part.
In any case though, I had time

More than enough to get into trouble.

Road Trip

B01-102_zpsv7omrnsj.png

Given that I’m generally no good on my own, I decided to use up some of this excess time by staying busy. A road trip would most certainly keep me busy. And… I could use the trip to explore some things that might either turn out to be less than expected, or may be something that the others in my household might find…

shall we say…
somewhat less then enthralling.

Since they didn’t have to tag along, they were spared such unpleasantries.
You on the other had will not be receiving similar consideration.
Unless you just go on ahead and click that little “x” up there in the top right corner
(And that was your final warning ya’ know)

So, early the next morning I broke out my various lists of “places I need to explore at some point”, and quickly found a good main destination and a decent secondary one. Both were only a couple hours off in total so this would be an easily doable day trip with time to make maybe a couple extra stops. I then checked my listings of recommended fine dining establishments looking for something new and got into the Roadside America website searching for other (and more obscure) offerings that might be easily accessed along the way.

In no time flat, I made a general plan, scrawled a list of five or six highway numbers on a scrap of paper (we don’t need no stinkin’ Sat-Nav), grabbed our new camera to test out as well and jumped in the car.

As you can see form the map back up there my route for the day was roughly a square and each leg turned out to be just about an hour-ish to traverse. To reach the first stop I headed due south along I-77 and then picked up west bound SC-34 until I reached this place here…

B01-103_zpsljnthcsp.jpg

This was my secondary point of interest, but it was easily on the way toward the main goal.

I’m a huge fan of large machines that move quickly.

Cars, trucks, plains, trains, ships, rockets…
You get the idea. My family indulges my fascination with such things up to a point, but they don’t necessarily share that same desire to go see or climb all over said contraptions. So this was a perfect day for the exercise. The only problem was that when I got down there, the museum and offices were closed.

It did not occur to me that the place was only open on Saturday’s.
Today was Friday though.

Stupid, stupid, stupid…

Well, I wasn’t going to get into very much here but I could at least walk around and check out a few of the pieces of rolling stock that were just out on the sidings and easily open to the public. The best example of what was available at the time was this engine here…

B01-104_zpst3ocs72z.jpg

A Baldwin 4-6-0 "Ten-Wheeler" built in January of 1927 for the Hampton & Branchville Rail Road. This old work horse spent its entire career in SC hauling timber in the low country and along the ways known as the Wire Road. It was finally retired in 1959 at which point, all the tubing was pulled out of her boiler. The hulk was then used as a storage tank holding fuel oil for the diesel engines that replaced it.

A rather ignominious end, but had it been scraped outright, then there’d have been nothing to be preserved here later on.

All engines and locomotives are intriguing to me, but I particularly love the steam powered examples. They are one of the few classes of machinery where the bulk of the moving parts are on the outside of the device and completely visible….

B01-105_zpsmtglglzo.jpg

You actually get to see how it’s put together and the ways in which it’s intended to operate.

There were a number of other cars and a couple older diesel-electric yard locomotives, but without being able to get into them or access anything that was beyond the locked gates of the actual museum, this one was really the only thing that was catching my interest at the time.

If you happen to be traveling down I-77 in SC toward Columbia, and have a little time to kill, and it happens to be a SATURDAY!... This might not be a bad stop off. However I know from experience that there is actually a far, far better rail museum in North Carolina. That one, known as the NC Transportation Museum, is off I-85 in the town of Spencer about half way between Charlotte and Greensboro. Trust me when I say, that one is
Well worth the detour.

Obviously, my first stop on this expedition has turned out to be a bit of a bust. But directly across the street from the Rail Museum is another roadside oddity that I ran across in my research. Heck if you were driving by here it’d be hard to miss, unless of course you had your head down staring at a cell-phone or were watching a movie or such. It’s the site that I used as the first picture in this feature.

It’s a small low-wing airplane.

In a tree.

I did not know that they grew in trees until now.

Here’s a better look at the critter…

B01-106_zps4o8uca0n.jpg

There are also several bicycles hanging in this particular tree, and as for the dummy, hanging from that telephone pole there… I’ve got no clue as to its significance or to what the entire installation is attempting to symbolize. According to the write-ups in Roadside America the property is owned either by an certifiable eccentric or an artist (which is generally the same thing). Given that, the whole thing is likely just the guy’s street sign and means no more then: “Hay! Look at me!”

Ninety Six

B01-107_zpsep7yy1fh.jpg

Time to get back on the road. I continued following Route-34 westward. Nice drive actually. Well, except when a dump truck pulled out just ahead of me. Following one of those on a two lane over hilly terrain can be a might frustrating. But after a while we got into a town large enough to have a way around the beast and then all was cool again. After a bit I reached my primary destination for the day.
A little town called…

“Ninety Six”

No really…

That’s the name of the place. It’s actually quite old as settlements in South Carolina go and served as a colonial district capitol (of sorts) for what was then the back country. The town was along the “Charleston Road” that ran from the coast northwest across the colony toward what was then still Native American lands. The crossroad outpost got its name for supposedly being ninety-six miles away from Keowee, a major Cherokee settlement at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

There are a couple other possible explanations for the odd name…
but that’s is the one sited most often.

B01-108_zpsymhi5ccx.jpg

It appears to be much like any other small rural town bypassed by the Interstate highways, but it’s got a few distinctions that set it apart. The one in particular that caught my attention happened to be this place…

B01-109_zpshsaozvfu.jpg

The Ninety Six National Historic Site

This small 1,022 acre park was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973 and it endeavors to preserve the original site of the town and its Revolutionary War Battlefields.

Battlefields you say?

Why yes, I do say.

Don’t suppose the phrases, “Battle of Ninety-Six” or “the Siege of Ninety-Six” came up when you were studying the American Revolution back there in junior high school, now did it?. But two separate and significant conflicts took place around this backwoods trading post; one at the beginning of the war, and one toward the end. It is home to the remnants of one of the oldest preserved earthen fortifications in the US and the spot where the first conflict of the rebellion outside of New England took place.

The first thing you’ll encounter upon arrival is a small museum and visitor’s center…

B01-110_zpsgd4qa5ln.jpg

Fairly typical for National park sites and the obvious first stopping point for most folks arriving at such. Which means that it’s the last place I visited during my explorations here. No, the cabin in the back ground there is what caught my eye so that’s where I headed off to first.

Known as the Logan House…

B01-111_zpso0lrwfla.jpg

…it is typical of colonial-era backcountry building. For a long time park officials had a sign hanging on that arm there out in front proclaiming it to be “The Black Swan Tavern”. The idea being that it gave you a pretty good idea of the scale and amenities available at a common tavern along a backwoods trading route. The interior is still arranged to suggest more of a gathering place then a residence…

B01-112_zpscwqqy4py.jpg

The structure is authentic though and dates from the late 1700s. That said, it’s not original to the site. Rather it was moved here from a nearby town after being discovered inside another building…

B01-113_zps2givi8o2.jpg

Yep… I said: “inside”.
It made up the central core of this house but was hidden under siding and obscured by alterations and additions from much later periods. But all those changes also ensured that the structure was well preserved.

While I’m stopped here, let me make a note for anyone considering stopping by this little park
(and I highly recommend that you do if you can.).

In actuality, these sites that I’m showing you now are the last pieces of the puzzle that I should have encountered here. I was working my way backwards around the one mile long interpretive trail, but since I didn’t stop at the visitor’s center first I didn’t know that yet. I was just following the path toward what my eyes thought seemed most interesting at the time.

The various signs and displays tell the main story they’re focusing on here a little more clearly if you head off in the other direction, but doing it this way didn’t really detract very much.

So being me…

I’ll just continue telling the story in reverse.

In general, this entire park is beautiful and well maintained. A great deal of work has been done on this whole site to preserve, restore or recreate some of the major structures relevant to the history here.

B01-114_zps3ba04npf.jpg

My next stop at what from this distance looks a bit like a rickety fence across the field there will be at an example of the last of those conservation efforts.

It also represents this old town’s first brush with national destiny.

The Siege of Savage's Old Fields
(Revolution Comes to the South)

B01-115_zpsyvymgpbx.jpg

It is generally agreed that the “official” start of the American Revolution was on April 19, 1775. Specifically this was when “Minutemen” clashed with English Regulars at Lexington and then again at Concord in Massachusetts. A month later on May 10th a force lead by Ethan Allen would seize Fort Ticonderoga. One month after that on June 17th the somewhat misnamed Battle of Bunker Hill would take place.

Three months… Three battles…
all of which you’ve likely heard of and probably studied at least a little bit in school.

The next major conflict however would not occur in New England. It also wouldn’t take place near a major population center, nor would it involve a single regular British soldier. And chances are quite good that you’ve never heard of it. This encounter was between neighbors and would be about choosing sides and settling old scores. It would also set the tone for some of the ugliest fighting that occurred during the Revolution and in truth for quite some time after its “official” end.

B01-116_zps2fgcrkeg.jpg

At the top of a hill and overlooking the spot where the original town of Ninety-Six once stood, the NPS has recreated one of the two different fortifications that have commanded this high ground. Because it is part of the larger story being told here, the current recreation follows the foundations and accounts of the 1781 structure which is generally referred to as either “Holmes' Fort” or more often just as the “Stockade Fort”.

B01-117_zpsxyh2usgn.jpg

But in 1775, six years prior, a similar stockade was hurriedly put together using fence rails, baled hay, and beef hides, to surround a barn and a few smaller structures on what at the time was part of the Savage family’s plantation. That small stockade would become known as Williamson's Fort, and it is here that the first siege of Ninety-Six would take place; the point where the revolution began in the southern part of the colonies.

*** Warning ***
Boring stuff Alert issued
Boring stuff is about to be discussed
Scroll down! Scroll down!
*** Warning ***

Once news of the fighting at Lexington and Concord reached these parts, the local militias split into two camps: Loyalist and Whig. Much of this division was influenced by bitterness left over from the “Regulator” period. Regulators were basically vigilantes and being so far removed from the government on the coast, they set themselves the task of deciding what the law should be and how it ought to be implemented. As one might expect, there is divided opinion on just how fairly and evenly this “justice” would be spread. The need to get a handle on all that tension throughout the back country ultimately led to the establishment of several court houses and jails being built. One of those was here in Ninety Six, and that in turn led to this small outpost becoming one of the more important settlements in the back country. But even with this implemented civility, many families and other communities had plenty of old scores to settle with their neighbors.

The appointed Royal Governor of SC fled Charleston after the rebellion started and the colony was being nominally run by a “Committee of Safety” that reported to the membership of the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia. In October, 1775, the committee sent a convoy of wagons caring supplies - and more importantly - 1000 pounds of gun powder toward Indian Territory. This was intended as a gift to the Cherokee (a bribe, if you will) in return for their neutrality. But since people were involved, rumors began spreading through the backcountry. The one that got the more conservative folks in a furor was the notion that the actual intent was to arm the Cherokee and have them begin attacking area Loyalists. Not considering the point that the tribes were already well armed and could attack anyone they chose at any time in the first place, this conspiracy theory took hold and the shipment was seized near Ninety Six on October 31 by a force of about 150 men.

The local Militia commander, Major Andrew Williamson, mustered a force of about 550 men and moved toward Ninety Six, intending to retrieve the stockpile. Loyalist forces though had swelled to near 1500 so the outgunned militia established their fort on the rise west of the jail and overlooking the town and prepared for a siege.

On November 19, Loyalist commanders Captain Patrick Cunningham and Major Joseph Robinson arrived with nearly 2,000 men, moved into the town, fortified the jail as a stronghold and then demanded that the fort be surrendered. When that order was refused, the battle began and continued for three days.

A truce was reached on the 22nd, when lack of water forced the militia forces to turn over their heavy arms and leave the area. The agreement made illustrates the uncertainty of the times in that both sides agreed to make no farther hostile moves until each could contact their superiors (that being the royal Governor for one side and the Council of Safety for the other) and receive farther instruction. All were hoping that these disputes could be resolved and that everyone and everything could return back to the way it used to be.

Obviously, this would not be the case and there would be considerably more fighting to come.
In fact there were more individual, skirmishes and larger battles in South Carolina, then in any other colony before all hostilities ended.

*** End Boring stuff Alert ***
*** End Alert ***

For now at least…

In fact, I still intend to discuss the remainder of my encounter at the historic sit, so the truth of the matter is that the boredom will indeed continue, I just won’t go into quite as much detail (at least not right now anyway). And if you think all that mess was dry as old bones, then give this link a click…

Chaos in the Backcountry

My story telling is pitiful compared to the stuff offered up by actual historians.

Speaking of “old bones”, there is a monument set off on this hill top as well…

B01-118_zpsoag7jzcg.jpg

This was placed here to commemorate the first “Patriot” casualty in the southern theater which occurred during that same conflict when James Birmingham died from a gunshot wound. Though it does give the appearance, this is not Mr Birmingham’s actual grave site. While there is no “documented” site for where he may have been interred, during the early 1970’s (before the land was declared a national land mark) an archeological excavation was conducted on a number of areas across this site.

B01-119_zpscabnfn5x.jpg

These included the grounds of the old stockade and a grave was discovered at that time…

B01-120_zps7vb5ajdf.jpg

The recovered skeleton was removed and is currently stored at the Institute of Archeology and Anthropology in Columbia, South Carolina. So far as I’m aware, it still has not been positively identified. I suspect as well that a lack of funding over the years has insured that no one is currently working to do so either; a fairly sad point no matter who this individual actually was.

Crossroad

B01-121_zpss277mqwx.jpg

As I followed the interpretative path farther along in the wrong direction, the next “site” I came to was the actual town of Ninety Six…

B01-122_zpskkpvipcc.jpg

Impresive, eh?

The“town” is long gone but there is still a good bit of evidence authenticating its existence. The archeological work I was telling you about just a moment ago turned up many artifacts from across this otherwise empty field. A good number of those ephemeral bits and pieces are on display in the small museum back over at the visitor’s center. This research also identified evidence of building foundations and post holes that show where the area had been fenced or stockade in the past as well. The white posts in the distance on that last image there mark one of the more important foundation’s parameter; that of the jail house (more on that in a bit). The rangers also let the grass grow taller along the old fence lines so that you can see where they were and get a sense of the scale of the place. That said, tall grass in an open field can be a bit ambiguous, so how about an artist’s representation to give you more of a visual…

B01-123_zpszamvyvux.jpg

Not all that large to be sure but considering the time period and rural local, it was a fairly sizable bit of civilization. Apart from the buildings and defensive stockade works the most recognizable features are the roads. It’s those roads that explain the existence of the town in the first place.

There were not many actual defined roadways during the settling and colonial eras, and especially not in the backwoods portions of the various colonies. That being the case, points where two of these thoroughfares might cross were almost certain to become fairly impotent gathering points and landmarks. Three roads actually met up here. “The Charleston Road” (the super highway of its day) lead from the Capital port up to the highlands and into Cherokee land. “The Island Ford Road” began here and crossed the Saluda River heading toward Camden and the more navigable Santee River. And what was in turn called either “The Whitehall Road” or “The Hard Labor Road” heading farther inland toward Augusta, on the Savannah River and into Georgia.

These roads were so well traveled that in many places you can still clearly see the warn roadbeds cutting their way across fields and through forests.

Not surprisingly then, there are parts of all three of the roadways I just mention that can be found within this well preserved park…

B01-124_zpswyzla7ih.jpg

That one is part of the Island Ford Road. This spot is a bit farther along the park trail but it was the most definitive example I had to illustrate what I’m on about here.

With three roads and a couple of even older foot trails all converging on this spot, it’s no wonder that a few trading posts would spring up here or that taverns, tradesmen, inns and even a few residences would follow soon thereafter. But the thing that turned this into a respectable place to be and made it the de facto capital of a district that covered about an eight of the colony’s lands was that Jail I mentioned. Well, and the courthouse too, but that building was fairly simple and built of wood and timbers like every other structure here. To build the multiple story jail-house though, folks actually carted in bricks and that was no small proposition at the time.

The Regulators who took care of the policing in these sparsely populated areas were replaced by appointed law officers and a circuit court system in 1769. As the largest town in the area, the courthouse and jail were constructed soon afterward and a judge from Charleston would arrive twice a year -- in April and November -- to hear cases and impose sentences.

Being fortified structures, the buildings were also an important part of the town's defenses and an obvious draw for establishing military outposts during the Revolutionary War.

B01-125_zps6frd7qiz.jpg

With this part of the colony being more of a loyalist strong hold, it is also not surprising that English soldiers would eventually turn up here to establish control over the area.

It’s that last bit there that explains what I was next to encounter; the remnants of some easily disregarded mounds of earth that are now the main feature of this park. Innocuous at first glance, those mounds are the reason why this little town was destined to be embroiled in another major battle; one that despite an apparent favorable outcome (from the loyalist’s point of view) would end up costing the residents everything.

And just think!
I’m only halfway through this mess.

Part-2 coming up momentarily!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter