The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"

sailorstitch

DIS Veteran
Umm.... what?

http://www.businessinsider.com/parents-complain-pixar-movie-scare-kids-2015-11

My mom and I saw it on Sunday. I agree it's not for little little kids. But for the most part it wasn't any scarier than The Lion King or Tarzan. It's not like it's at The Black Cauldron scary level. The kids that were in the theater with me were fine. They were even kind of "meh" on the movie.

Are these helicopter parents or do they think that everything Disney is supposed to be like Disney Jr?

sailorstitch

HAHAHAHA...wow, what a world we live in. I can see why someone under 10 might struggle with the movie, but a 15-year-old? That's a little extreme. Maybe they meant that The Good Dinosaur should not be watched by anyone under 15 because it will potentially ruin a studio that has otherwise had a near-perfect record at the box office. The $39 million The Good Dinosaur made over the 3-day weekend is the lowest debut for any Pixar movie when you adjust for inflation. Maybe the 15-year-olds are just unimpressed.

Kids can understand much more than most people think. We chose to let our DD watch everything we watched and explained things to her at a level she could understand. She even understood tough things like death. Her grandfather whom she adored died just before she turned 4. I had to explain to her that he died and wasn't sleeping and that he was going to heaven and would never come back. I was unsure if she understood. Several months later just after Easter she asked when grandpa was coming back. I explained to her again that he when he died he went to heaven and couldn't come back. You want to know what floored me? She stood there and asked why not, Jesus did? Kids today are overly sheltered and we aren't doing them any favors "protecting" them from everything. Teach them everything at a level they can understand and then watch them learn.

I cannot wait to see this movie, but I'm well over 15..... hehehe! Always fun to read reviews, good or bad. Thanks for posting!
~Darcie
#dvcrentals

I just saw Good Dinosaur today and flame away, I enjoyed it. It's a Classic Western With Dinosaurs. It's not Pixar's greatest, but we can't all be "Up." Loved the T-Rex Cowboy stuff. Got teary when I was supposed to. Really enjoyed the score. Cars 2 is still the only one I thought was really a mess; the only things I liked about that were David Hobbs(cap) and Lewis Hamilton.

Honestly, I don't think this OR Inside Out are really for very young kids - TGD because of intense/scary stuff and IO because it's more cerebral (not meant jokingly). But I'd say most kids would be fine with Good Dino by the time they're 8-ish, depending on the kid.

May I say, I'm really pumped for Zootopia? The sloth gag went on a bit too long (I take it this was a teaser and not a scene from the movie), but I love the main characters and the whole style/concept.

And I really enjoyed "Sanjay's Super Team" - now that was really creative and different.

I took my 7yr old & 5 yr old to see it yesterday and I must say I was disappointed in it and while my kids didn't cry, complain, or get scared at any point, they too were disappointed.

I guess I should have investaged the story line better and knowing what I know now, I would have passed.

It certainly is not a warm and fuzzy feel good Dinsney/Pixar movie that I had in mind.

It was full of hardship, tragedy, violent storms, and death. Yes, the movie had a decent ending, I just wanted cute and warm and fuzzy feel good. This was not it and I left $50 poorer with "meh" feeling kids.

Last edited:

I just re-watched The Land Before Time because I hadn't watched in well over a decade.
redface_001.gif
Found it on our On Demand and rented it. The Good Dinosaur is the Pixar version of The Land Before Time. The similarities are striking. And TGD is no scarier than TLBT.

sailorstitch

We just went to TGD last week and I SOBBED through many parts of it. That being said, I was the only person in the theatre crying. The young kids behind us were adorable and asked little kid questions that were great and showed so much understanding. I thought it was a great movie. It's not going to be a universally loved movie, but I absolutely fell in love with Arlo.

My mom took my DD4 to see this, my DD understands it more than you'd think. She has a good concept of death and she loves the Lion King. Some parts, yes over her little head, but that's okay!

My DH was reading how a lot of the movie was scrapped due to "not being good enough." Makes me wonder what it was like before this release.

I took my two year old and regretted it (although she didn't really get the violence, I don't like exposing her to violent movies). It's my own fault though for not researching the movie. The film is fine for the five and up crowd though. Although, I thought the movie wasn't that great...just meh. The short, "Sanjay's Super Heros" was amazing though.

I enjoyed it, my daughter too. I didn't like Inside Out (my God, it was torture in that theater!) so that may be why. I loved when they ate the rotten fruit and had a
trip!

I just re-watched The Land Before Time because I hadn't watched in well over a decade.
redface_001.gif
Found it on our On Demand and rented it. The Good Dinosaur is the Pixar version of The Land Before Time. The similarities are striking. And TGD is no scarier than TLBT.
Yeah the Good Dinosaur wishes it was The Land Before Time. The former blows the latter away IMHO.

I mean even the ending of TGD sucked to me.

It was like Jungle Book but with nowhere near the emotional connection. Maybe it's me but I just don't think the Arlo + Spot bond was really believably established all that well. I never got the sense that they cared about each other remotely comparable to the likes of Baloo+Mowgli, Copper+Todd, Lilo+Stich, or heck even Buzz+Woody. I mean even the way Arlo was even considering leaving Spot to be bird food for the longest time. Sure eventually he turned around and did the right thing...eventually.

For that matter Arlo leaving his mark felt unearned to me? I mean when his parents and siblings left their mark it was because they accomplished a great feat that benefited their family. Arlo got lost for a few days and came back. Sure he saved "Spot" which was great and all, but his family could have cared less about that. I mean his father wanted him to kill the thief? Really I think we kind of needed a scene where Spot and his family started to aid Arlo's family and work together which would have helped them both to survive the winter and what not. That would have been worthy of a mark, instead they just seemed to go their separate way possibly to never see each other again. LAME.

Speaking of Lame...the ghost of Arlo's father. First he is completely silent almost ignoring his son while trying to lead him away from doing what's right. Then even after Arlo starts to protest a bit he continues to try to steer him away from doing the right thing. At this point I'm thinking that he's just a hallucination of Arlo's representing his fear. I could of bought that no problem. But then once Arlo finally leaves he acknowledge he is proud of him showing that he really was a ghost...but then why the crap was the silent treatment and trying to steer his son towards abandoning his friend. Made no logical sense, and felt something done for the sake of drama.

There's nothing objectionable in this film for a child of any age. Unfortunately, that doesn't keep it from being boring and uninteresting. It's a bad movie, IMHO. It's the worst original film that Pixar has produced. Only Cars 2 was worse, and it was a sequel. These two films just aren't up to the level of the rest of their work.

This is a gorgeous movie. The backgrounds look like photographs, even my 8 yr old DGS commented on the background animation being so lifelike especially the water scenes. I thought parts of it were very scary but they also taught a good lesson about courage. I would not take any child younger than 6 or kids who are fearful of storms or "birds". Both my grandsons enjoyed it and I'm glad I saw it. Earlier comment that it was a "western with dinosaurs" is right on ... just as Bug's Life is a great take on westerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter