• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Going to disney, and haven't had genie+ before. I'm reading the stacking rules.

Am I right that it's probably smart to get your first fast pass of the day such that it takes place AFTER the park has been open for two hours, so you can have two fast-passes to work with the whole day? or is it best to just get whatever time is available for the big rides?

I was thinking that it would probably be best to say, if the park opens at 9, try to get your first fast pass for 11, so you have two fast passes most of the day and can double your lightning lanes.

Someone with a lot more experience than me could verify this, but it is my understanding that this loophole has been closed.

Going to disney, and haven't had genie+ before. I'm reading the stacking rules.

Am I right that it's probably smart to get your first fast pass of the day such that it takes place AFTER the park has been open for two hours, so you can have two fast-passes to work with the whole day? or is it best to just get whatever time is available for the big rides?

I was thinking that it would probably be best to say, if the park opens at 9, try to get your first fast pass for 11, so you have two fast passes most of the day and can double your lightning lanes.
The Genie+ "rules" were dramatically changed last November, shortly before Thanksgiving. Ignore anything written before then. Strategies involving double and triple stacks no longer work.

The Genie+ "rules" were dramatically changed last November, shortly before Thanksgiving. Ignore anything written before then. Strategies involving double and triple stacks no longer work.

Can you explain? I saw recent articles saying you could double and triple stack.....what changed? You can only have one at a time now? Even just recently they said you can get a new one after two hours or using your reservation, whichever comes first

I found articles and think I get it now. What Im not sure about is if its best to stack, or to start the day by just doing all the early ones quickly. There must be a point where its nice to just do a bunch of easy rides with immediate fast passes, but Im not clear on when to do it

I found articles and think I get it now. What Im not sure about is if its best to stack, or to start the day by just doing all the early ones quickly. There must be a point where its nice to just do a bunch of easy rides with immediate fast passes, but Im not clear on when to do it

It depends on the park and it depends on what attractions you want to do.

For example, if you don't book Remy or Slinky Dog first, they will gone by the time your are ready to book again.

Using early return times works best at Magic Kingdom. Stacking works best at Hollywood Studios.

Can you explain? I saw recent articles saying you could double and triple stack.....what changed? You can only have one at a time now? Even just recently they said you can get a new one after two hours or using your reservation, whichever comes first
You can still have a stack that has two, three, or more G+LL reservations. You create it by making new reservations at the 2-hour mark. Prior to the November change, you could get a new G+LL whenever you tapped into any of those reservations, allowing you to get one at the 2-hour mark and then another when you tapped into your older reservation. That meant you could quickly have two or more and then continue to have two, three or whatever number you had when you started tapping in, for the rest of the day. Tap into one, get another. Now, you can only make a new G+LL after tapping into your most-recently-booked G+LL (or by waiting for two hours after your most recent booking, or by canceling your most recent booking, or having your most recent booking expire or be converted to an anytime pass). This has made it tougher to maintain a large stack. Eventually, you will use a reservation that is not your most-recently-booked one and you won't be allowed to replace it. I consider a "triple stack" strategy (before the change) to be where, once you had three, you could continue to have three the rest of the day by replacing them on a one-for-one basis. Others may use the term differently. I did not mean to say you can no longer ever have three at one time. You still can. But you can't replace the older ones once they are used, canceled or expire.

Last edited:
At Mk, I think the optimal strategy is trying to target one Genie+ for the first hour of park opening and then super refreshing to get at least 2 more before breaking for lunch (12:30-1). After 11:00 am (for a 9 am opening), most passes will start getting into the 3 pm range (keep refreshing; I cancelled a POTC 2 pm for 12:30; the option to cancel (3 dots on the right of a booked LL) didn’t show up for a good 15 mins). Around 12:30 we take a lunch break (usually takes longer due to peak lunch hour) before heading to the resort.

I usually wait until things start going into the range that I want to start stacking (around 2 pm some passes are into the 6 pm
range), we expect to be in the park around 6 pm and book an early dinner at 5 pm or late post fireworks (CRT releases late hours when hours are added 2 weeks prior).

We usually have SDMT booked for the evening and then 3 Genie+ before fireworks. Around fireworks we can usually book 2 more Genie+ LL (Haunted Mansion/Small World) and after 10 pm everything has low/manageable waits.

Make sure you setup your preferences in the free Genie+ (On the main MDE page) to be able to ‘pin rides’ to the top.

If you hit ‘LL’ on a ride (details screen after clicking on a ride on the tip board), the tip board will jump to that ride when you pull down to refresh the page (vs manually scrolling down to the ride while refreshing).

Last edited:

For HS, we try to be more flexible. We book SDD first and then book MMRR (kids not interested in MFSR) and then super refresh for TOT/RnRc. Usually we can get TSMM as well.

One day we had a relaxing breakfast at Topolinos and chose to just go to HS in the late afternoon/evening. Due to the ADR conflict, we had MMRR changed and later TOT. It was still hectic to exit, walk all the way down to the taxi pickup (end of bus line) and get to our ADR and we cancelled Topolinos dinner on Hs day 2.

475C59FA-8276-49EB-A1E6-997C1B534D1F.jpeg
6ECF5484-4FAF-40CE-A08E-67D9B02540A1.jpeg

Make sure you setup your preferences in the free Genie+ (On the main MDE page) to be able to ‘pin rides’ to the top.

If you hit ‘LL’ on a ride (details screen after clicking on a ride on the tip board), the tip board will jump to that ride when you pull down to refresh the page (vs manually scrolling down to the ride while refreshing).
Hi, can you please explain again if I have to add to Genie free only the ones I need for Genie+ and ILL the day of my visit to each park? I'm not sure how it works when you refresh the page. You do this in My board or My Day?

Going next week with toddler for the first time and very tempted to just say forget Genie+ and let the chips fall where they may. When just the two of us used to go for years we planned everything perfectly and were in the parks open to close. I have no idea what this trip is going to be like and we may barely even be in the parks very long to justify buying it. Who knows what rides or how many toddler will even go on. Will probably have to take many breaks and we also have many ADRs planned just to sit and eat. Any opinions on this? Would I basically be paying $45 a day just to maybe grab Peter Pan or something like that when we can just as easily stand on line for Aladdin or Dumbo or Tiki room? I can always do single rider if I can sneak away just for some fun right? I have zero idea what to expect not only with a toddler now but also in this post pandemic weirdo money grab over crowded Disney.

I’m not sure if this has been asked yet because there’s so many pages in this thread, now that they made it to where you have to book the same day every day which is absolutely ridiculous are people waking up at midnight to book? Is there still availability to get genie plus if you wait until like 6 AM. I really cannot understand the reasoning and as why Disney would force people to do this 😒

I’m not sure if this has been asked yet because there’s so many pages in this thread, now that they made it to where you have to book the same day every day which is absolutely ridiculous are people waking up at midnight to book? Is there still availability to get genie plus if you wait until like 6 AM. I really cannot understand the reasoning and as why Disney would force people to do this 😒
Last weekend I woke up at 6:50 am to purchase G+ and at 7:00 am I booked my first LL. At 7:01 am I rolled over and went right back to sleep. No issues with purchasing it that late.

To date I don't believe we've had any reports of guests being unable to purchase Genie + at any point during a day. If they are capping sales, I don't believe they've ever reached that cap since it was put in place.

Has anyone experienced being unable to purchase or, have a reliable source stating sale caps were reached on a certain day?

To date I don't believe we've had any reports of guests being unable to purchase Genie + at any point during a day. If they are capping sales, I don't believe they've ever reached that cap since it was put in place.

Has anyone experienced being unable to purchase or, have a reliable source stating sale caps were reached on a certain day?
OK that’s great because I remember reading that they changed their verbiage to limited availability so that had me a little worried and curious if it would sell out every day. We are early risers anyway so I have no problem waking up at like six but I was not too thrilled with the idea of having to wake up at midnight every night to ensure that we get Genie-+

I don't believe that has happened yet. It still might happen on the next update to MDE

Hi, can you please explain again if I have to add to Genie free only the ones I need for Genie+ and ILL the day of my visit to each park? I'm not sure how it works when you refresh the page. You do this in My board or My Day?
This video might explain things better. Basically you have to set your preferences in the free Genie portion of the app (the rides you want to get a Genie+ for; you can always add more) and then your ride selections show up on the top; refreshing refers to the tip board to reload new times available (usually by pulling down the ‘tip board’ page):

This video might explain things better. Basically you have to set your preferences in the free Genie app and then your ride selections show up on the top:

Thanks! I will check the video to learn how it works before our trip. For instance if I have a park pass for AK 2 october and want to make my first genie+ selection at 7. Do I have to go to my day or to my board? Now they are showing on My Board tab. Sorry for the silly questions but I am a bit anxious about the whole process. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks! I will check the video to learn how it works before our trip. For instance if I have a park pass for AK 2 october and want to make my first genie+ selection at 7. Do I have to go to my day or to my board? Now they are showing on My Board tab. Sorry for the silly questions but I am a bit anxious about the whole process. Thanks again for your help!
To setup the selections, you have to go to ‘My Day’ tab and select ‘get started now’.
C4370386-86F3-4973-B325-D88B95804889.jpeg

This is also where you purchase Genie+:
79158734-C491-45F6-9365-035EC0DEC8BD.jpeg
For selecting rides once you purchase Genie+, you have to make selections on the ‘tip board’.

Allears has further details:

https://allears.net/2021/10/08/everything-you-need-to-know-before-using-the-new-disney-genie/

Thanks. I noticed in the video that once you made your selection, they appeared at the top of the Tip Board so it is easier to see available genie+. That was the info I was missing. Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter