The Future of Epcot...

You know it would never happen, and I for one am happy. A Star Wars land at DHS is more than enough. Epcot is an awesome place that only needs some fill in and refurb.
I don't know if the land in DHS is more than enough but Star Wars definitely should not go in Epcot.

[QUOTE="7series, post: 54542007, member: 544176"A Star Wars land at DHS is more than enough. Epcot is an awesome place that only needs some fill in and refurb.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Epcot has always encouraged unique ideas, and thinking beyond how we see the world. With Finding Nemo at the Living Seas, and Frozen at Norways, I hope Epcot doesn't go too crazy with adding populater characters and movies to endorse different parts of the park. It has always been an original park of it's own category and calaber it comparison to MK or HS. Less Mickey and Minnie, and more Figment and Captain Eo.

I like Epcot and while it could use some freshening up here and there, I am happy when I am strolling through the WC. I enjoy the characters that appear, and I love to snack and shop. And drink. I like that too. I would like the empty pavilions in FW addressed though, and I think that EO need to be gone. It gave me a headache when it first opened, and why it is there now is beyond me.

I am in the minority, but the Frozen thing in Norway is fine, and the Soarin refurb is welcomed. I think that if Disney does this, and focuses on the parks that badly needed attention Epcot can will still draw crowds.

Parks like AK and DHS were really faltering and IMO, could not wait much longer. As much as I can find plenty to do in DHS, many others could not. THE same with AK> When parks are deemed by the majority of guests as 1/2 day parks, then there is something wrong.

I like Epcot and while it could use some freshening up here and there, I am happy when I am strolling through the WC. I enjoy the characters that appear, and I love to snack and shop. And drink. I like that too. I would like the empty pavilions in FW addressed though, and I think that EO need to be gone. It gave me a headache when it first opened, and why it is there now is beyond me.

I am in the minority, but the Frozen thing in Norway is fine, and the Soarin refurb is welcomed. I think that if Disney does this, and focuses on the parks that badly needed attention Epcot can will still draw crowds.

Parks like AK and DHS were really faltering and IMO, could not wait much longer. As much as I can find plenty to do in DHS, many others could not. THE same with AK> When parks are deemed by the majority of guests as 1/2 day parks, then there is something wrong.

You took the words right outta my mouth...

I heard a rumor from 2 different people, one close to a Disney Exec., and the other has a partner that is an Imagineer. Epcot will be receiving 6 more countries and that Brazil is one of them.
Also from the same people, Hollywood Studios will get a Cars Land. No doubt about it.

I heard a rumor from 2 different people, one close to a Disney Exec., and the other has a partner that is an Imagineer. Epcot will be receiving 6 more countries and that Brazil is one of them.
Also from the same people, Hollywood Studios will get a Cars Land. No doubt about it.

I don't buy the six more countries one at all.

DHS is very likely to get another land or mini land cars has been talked about it but isn't for sure at this point.

I'd like to see a high end restaurant go into Odyssey but I know Epcot's not really hurting for food options.

I really enjoyed what they did with the Odyssey during the last F&W festival. They served light snacks and craft beer with many local breweries on tap. If they spruced up the interior and made it a craft/local wine/beer location with light snacks year round that'd be awesome. Not that Epcot needs more places for dumb people to get trashed but, for responsible guests, it could be a wonderful place to relax for a bit and spend more of their money.

United Kingdom needs a tea shop to enjoy some nice English tea and scones!

The UK needs to start serving breakfast! You have to pass through it to get to France anyway, might as well start serving up some delicious, meaty breakfast dishes.

CAPTAIN EO HAS GOT TO GO!!!
EO, sorry he's dead for years.

I like EO if only for how corny it is. I'd love to see a modern day sequel starring modern celebrities. I don't follow celebrity culture much so I have no idea who'd actually be appropriate though. HISTA was stale and too "WHOA 3D MOVIE EFFECTS!" I actually enjoy that EO's 3D effects aren't so in your face about it.

Attendance.
Epcot. 11.5 million
DAK 10.4 million
DHS 10.3 million.

Seems to me that if 1/2 day parks are close in attendance to what is in size a two day park, despite Disney throwing food and wine and flower festivals at the two day park, it's the two day park that is faltering most. What do we have in Epcot beyond the big three attractions plus Illuminations? Not much. A bunch of filler and a glorified shopping and eating mall. Nothing less than a complete overhaul is needed.

Attendance.
Epcot. 11.5 million
DAK 10.4 million
DHS 10.3 million.

Seems to me that if 1/2 day parks are close in attendance to what is in size a two day park, despite Disney throwing food and wine and flower festivals at the two day park, it's the two day park that is faltering most. What do we have in Epcot beyond the big three attractions plus Illuminations? Not much. A bunch of filler and a glorified shopping and eating mall. Nothing less than a complete overhaul is needed.

But is Epcot floundering? I can see that the attendance numbers might suggest that, but if one looks deeper into actual revenues that Epcot generates and then factor that against the expenses and then compare that to DHS and DAK, there may be a reason that Disney has chosen to dump the big money into those two parks and let Epcot sit a while. If people are going to shows and standing in line to enter attractions, they are not spending money. Let's face it, if you are wandering around the Word Showcase chances are pretty good you will shop,eat or drink. If you are in DHS after folks hit the headliners they tend to skedaddle.

I am sure someone here has done some crunching and has a pretty good idea what parks make the most money for Disney vs the costs of running them, I am simply speculating this may be the case. IF so, I do not think that relying on the festivals and special events will be enough in the long term, but while DIsney beefs up those parks that do need more to keep folks inside longer, it may be the best answer.

But is Epcot floundering? I can see that the attendance numbers might suggest that, but if one looks deeper into actual revenues that Epcot generates and then factor that against the expenses and then compare that to DHS and DAK, there may be a reason that Disney has chosen to dump the big money into those two parks and let Epcot sit a while. If people are going to shows and standing in line to enter attractions, they are not spending money. Let's face it, if you are wandering around the Word Showcase chances are pretty good you will shop,eat or drink. If you are in DHS after folks hit the headliners they tend to skedaddle.

I am sure someone here has done some crunching and has a pretty good idea what parks make the most money for Disney vs the costs of running them, I am simply speculating this may be the case. IF so, I do not think that relying on the festivals and special events will be enough in the long term, but while DIsney beefs up those parks that do need more to keep folks inside longer, it may be the best answer.
If Epcot didn't have its two festivals it likely would be in trouble. Those two festivals are what keeps it afloat no problem.

If Epcot didn't have its two festivals it likely would be in trouble. Those two festivals are what keeps it afloat no problem.
I can't argue that. For now I think they will be enough to support Epcot expenses and allow girvdisney to concentrate on DHS and AK. But eventually they need to look at this park

I assume you're kidding. But two more countries would be welcome. I think you could get a country in the Outpost and I would replace the American Adventure with a foreign country. I would replace them with Brazil/Chile and India.
As for Future World, putting something in the closed Horizons Pavilion seems like the obvious first step. Then I'd change Universe of Energy to something a little more up to date. Finally, get rid of Captain EO and fire whoever decided to reopen it.

I think changing FW to a Star Wars expansion with a train to DS is about as likely as digging a tunnel through the center of the earth to connect the Japan Pavilion in WS with Tokyo Disneyland.

I assume you're kidding. But two more countries would be welcome. I think you could get a country in the Outpost and I would replace the American Adventure with a foreign country. I would replace them with Brazil/Chile and India.

And I assume that you're kidding, right? If not, try to imagine the massive amount of anger that would happen if Disney announced they were replacing the American Adventure with a pavilion for another country.

And I assume that you're kidding, right? If not, try to imagine the massive amount of anger that would happen if Disney announced they were replacing the American Adventure with a pavilion for another country.

Well to be fair Disney would get a massive amount of anger from some circles if they changed the design of their napkins...

American Adventure is fine I guess. I mean American's generally like to hear how great they are and it could have been done a *lot* worse. Its really no more stereotypical than any of the other countries. They are none of them exactly deep representations after all, just a little bit of history, a dash of culture and lots of merchandising. I say that as someone who was born in the UK, vacationed in France while growing up and is now a US citizen.

There's not real need to replace one of the countries though. As I understand it there are plenty of unused expansion pads still that could either host more countries or add a ride to just about every country.

Our family loves Epcot! I remember being a kid, visiting not long after it opened, and thinking "this is going to be BORING!" But in fact, it was so much fun. Innoventions and the end of Journey into Imagination (IIRC) had such fun, interactive, experiential exhibits my parents could hardly get us to leave. I wish that Disney *would* make it more educational again - but focusing on imagination, wonder, innovation, dreaming, etc. I don't necessarily know how that would look - but the things my boys enjoy most are designing the cars at Test Track and seeing"how they perform." Designing their roller coaster and experiencing it. Answering the questions at the end of Spaceship Earth and watching the big screen. Maybe make FW more about the future YOU (kids) will create. But, I say all this with the realization that my ideas are only worth the paper they are printed on...o_O

I see this comment that the WS countries are just homogenized versions of the real places so often. I can't see it being any other way. All of WDW is really that way if you think about. Everything is cleaned up and shiny and totally not representative of real life.

I enjoy these versions though. I like the representations (even if overly shiny) of real places and the shops and the CM's and even the food as Americanized as it is. I'm certainly aware that it's not the same as traveling to these places but it's still a slice of another place. I think that this is one reason that the changes in Norway struck such a sour note with me. Representing Norway with a fairy tale land is even more about fantasy and to me not welcome. But that's another topic.

Attendance.
Epcot. 11.5 million
DAK 10.4 million
DHS 10.3 million.

Park attendance is counted from first park of entry right? If DHS and AK are half-day parks for most people, they're heading to either Epcot or MK for the evening. Epcot's internal gate may be much higher than that 11.5M suggests. Anecdotally, it certainly seems to me that the World Showcase fills up fast after 6PM.

Park attendance is counted from first park of entry right? If DHS and AK are half-day parks for most people, they're heading to either Epcot or MK for the evening. Epcot's internal gate may be much higher than that 11.5M suggests. Anecdotally, it certainly seems to me that the World Showcase fills up fast after 6PM.
Also those are TEA estimations we have no idea what Disneys actual numbers are.

It is frustrating there aren't more concrete plans for updating Future World beyond the Soarin' upgrade. Can't see anything happening till after all the updates to HS..so what's that? 10+ years at least before there's a possibility of improvements?

It is frustrating there aren't more concrete plans for updating Future World beyond the Soarin' upgrade. Can't see anything happening till after all the updates to HS..so what's that? 10+ years at least before there's a possibility of improvements?

Depends what you're waiting for. I don't think they'll do a big extension of FW for a while, but filling up the Innoventions centers does not need to cost a lot of money, it just requires locating willing sponsors, and spending something above maintenance money. If you figure they're spending 50+ million on the Soarin' expansion, when that project is done, they comfortably afford to drop 10 or 15 million on updating existing exhibits (EO, it's time to go home my friend), and filling out the carcass that is IW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!