THE FORCE… THE FOOD… THE FLOWERS… A MAY 2015 DINING (mostly) REPORT - COMPLETE

disnygirl55

Forever Mouseketeer
INTRODUCTIONS

Greetings to all of you! I had such fun writing my very first trip report last year (see my signature if you’re interested), covering a few days at Disneyland followed by a Disney Cruise up the California Coast, that I’ve decided to write a brief trip report for our Star Wars Weekend trip, but will focus mainly on our dining experiences.

First, introductions of our family of three:

SwideckiFamilySanFranciscoWharf052114_zps56be31b3.jpg

Me, lover of all things Disney. Disney Cruises have taken first place in my heart – no better vacation ever!! However, until I win the lottery, I can’t take a cruise every year, so I like to intermix with WDW and Disneyland trips to get my Disney fix. We have such a great time as a family on our Disney vacations, and I enjoy the planning process nearly as much as the trip itself.

DH, loves Star Wars first and foremost, with Donald Duck close behind. He is a kid at heart, and I’m lucky to have found someone that supports my Disney habit. He’s also a pretty great Dad, and our young “Padawan” is feeling the force, and following in Dad’s footsteps.

DS, 13, just as excited as we are. He would choose a cruise over a land vacation if given the choice. Good boy! Now make sure you get a good-paying job and take your mother with you when you vacation as an adult – OK? When on land, he enjoys himself, but it probably feels sometimes like a “forced march of fun”. :rotfl2:He also loves Star Wars, as mentioned, so is pretty excited about this trip. He even asked to go along to Victoria and Albert’s with us, which is amazing that he’d be interested in a four-hour meal. It shows that *sniff* he’s growing up, and deciding to take advantage of experiences he wouldn’t get normally.

We are arriving mid-week before the first Star Wars weekend. We’ve done a Star Wars weekend before – a very quick post-cruise weekend in mid-June 2013. It was a whirlwind trip in the hot June Florida sun, but we still had a good time. It’s been a while since we’ve taken a leisurely trip to WDW, so I hope this turns out to be an especially fun vacation. We are also including several “firsts” during this trip, and with the number of trips we’ve taken, that’s quite a feat!
  • First time staying at the Polynesian
  • First time eating at Kona Café for breakfast (Tonga Toast!)
  • First time staying Club Level
  • First time eating at the elusive Chef’s Table at Victoria & Albert’s (Grand Slam Event – I’ll explain later)
  • First time eating at Flying Fish (the Chef’s Wine Tasting Dinner)
  • First time “Dining with an Imagineer” at the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios
  • First time for DH to attend the “Galactic Gathering” – that’s the name for this year’s Star Wars merchandise event that is held the day before Star Wars Weekends opens
  • First time at Be Our Guest for breakfast
  • First time eating at the new Boathouse restaurant at Disney Springs
  • First time using Fastpass+
  • First time getting MemoryMaker – will it be a hit or a bust?
  • First time experiencing the Outdoor Kitchens at EPCOT during Flower & Garden Festival

As you can see, we’ve got some terrific dining plans, which also include visits to old favorites like Le Cellier. And, the Flower and Garden festival is happening, and I don’t remember food booths last time we were there, so we might spend quite a bit of time in Epcot sampling. The food booths sound so tasty, in fact, that we’ll be eating there once, if not twice, instead of booking dining plans. I expect that this trip report will be very dining heavy, but will also try to include other tasty tidbits about our travels and experiences.

Our plans are to arrive at MCO on Wednesday, May 13, at 12:30ish in the afternoon.

I made reservations with Happy Limo to take us to the Polynesian, and also to pick us up for the sad trip home a week later. We have always been very happy with their service.

We’re less than two weeks away now, all ressies are made, and the only thing left is to pack…. So….. ON WITH THE SHOW!

I loved the way another trip reporter (jabead – AKA Barb) set up her table of contents – I found it so easy to see where she was at in her report, and could skip around. Hopefully I will have the technological expertise to follow her lead without too much trouble. Thanks, Barb! Your dining report was an inspiration – Keep Calm and Go To Disney Indeed!!

DINING REPORT TABLE OF CONTENTS

Wednesday, May 13
Arrival and Check-In – Polynesian Village Resort Club Level - COMPLETE
Lunch at Columbia Harbor House - COMPLETE
Dinner at Be Our Guest - COMPLETE

Thursday, May 14
Breakfast – Club Level Polynesian - COMPLETE
Min & Bill's Dockside Diner at Disney Hollywood Studios - COMPLETE
Dinner at Flying Fish Café Chef’s Wine Tasting Dinner (Just the Adults!) - COMPLETE

Friday, May 15
Star Wars Weekend Fun and Legends of the Force Motorcade - COMPLETE
Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - COMPLETE
Rebel Hangar: A Star Wars Lounge Experience - COMPLETE
Evening at the Polynesian Village and Trader Sam’s - COMPLETE

Saturday, May 16
Lunch at Flower & Garden Festival Outdoor Kitchens Part I - COMPLETE
Dinner at Le Cellier - COMPLETE

Sunday, May 17
Dinner at Victoria & Albert’s Chef’s Table (Part 1) - COMPLETE
Dinner at Victoria & Albert's Chef's Table (Part 2) - COMPLETE

Monday, May 18
Lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby Dine With An Imagineer - COMPLETE
Planned: Dinner at the Boathouse at Disney SpringsActual: A short tour of Disney Springs by water, and dinner bites at the Polynesian Club Lounge - COMPLETE

Tuesday, May 19
Breakfast at Be Our Guest – Pre-Park Opening - COMPLETE
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern - COMPLETE

Wednesday, May 20
Breakfast at Kona Café and Departure Morning - COMPLETE (see previous post)

Final Thoughts
Thoughts on the Polynesian and Club Level
Thoughts on Star Wars Weekends
Thoughts on Fastpass+
Thoughts on MemoryMaker and Photopass

Last edited:
Joining in!! You are doing a lot of the things I want to do on our trip in October so I look forward to hearing about them. Sci Fi is one of them. And way to go for snagging at pre-park opening ADR for BOG breakfast...I want to get one for October if I can....You must be arriving really early in the AM though to have an ADR for lunch in the park on arrival day? Are you flying overnight?

Joining in!! You are doing a lot of the things I want to do on our trip in October so I look forward to hearing about them. Sci Fi is one of them. And way to go for snagging at pre-park opening ADR for BOG breakfast...I want to get one for October if I can....You must be arriving really early in the AM though to have an ADR for lunch in the park on arrival day? Are you flying overnight?

Hi Kathy! I'll do my best to give you good reporting on the dining, especially Sci Fi. Actually, Columbia Harbor House is a counter service (pretty sure). I am craving their lobster roll. The husband and boy may get something at Casey's Corner instead - but that lobster roll is calling my name. We get in at noon-thirty to Orlando, but that first day, we'll still be on Mountain Time, so even if we don't eat until 2:00 in the afternoon, that will be a very reasonable lunch hour. We have our first Fastpasses for 7DMT at 2:30ish. Have you made your reservations yet for your October trip? Good luck with the pre-opening BOG breakfast. My quick tip about that - choose 8:00 AM instead of "Breakfast" when searching for a time. The first time I made reservations, I chose "Breakfast" and it showed me the earliest time choice was 9:30 AM or something like that. I easily modified it to 8:00! (and make sure it's not on a scheduled early entry magic hour.. as that would be counterproductive) :daisy:

Thanks for the tip re: looking for pre-park opening ADR's. I will try that again! I think actually they might still be in a testing phase for the BOG breakfast and aren't letting you make ADR's until 80 days out? That's a message I got somewhere.... That lobster roll sounds yummy. I have got my ADR for Sci Fi so that's set which is great...but I will try your top about putting in a time instead of just "breakfast"...I may try that for some dinner ones I've been trying to get too...

Quick little update:

First, SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!! Second, just when I thought I was done planning, along comes the Rebel Hangar Lounge. So... after much persistence and false information both given TO (from their strange computer reservations system) and received FROM several agents at WDW-DINE.... I finally this morning managed to secure a table for 4:00 on Friday, right after Stars of the Saga. I just have to say Disney DOES have some of the nicest reservation agents. Each one tried SO hard to get me what I was looking for, but sometimes their computer systems just would not let them efficiently do their jobs. It took five phone calls to five different agents.... and there was a time I just didn't think it was going to happen.... but finally, success.

I like the choices of snack-type foods at the RH Lounge. Cheese and grape skewers, Darth Maul Hummus, yummy specialty drinks, sliders, etc. Since we have no dinner plans that night, we are then going back to hang around at the Poly. Campfire, swim, movie on the beach, Trader Sam's - we'll see where the spirit takes us, but regardless, our "rebel snacks" will likely tide us over until the next morning.

After everyone raves about the Star Wars Fireworks "Symphony in the Stars" show, we may head back to DHS on Saturday evening, just to watch them. We have an ADR at Le Cellier late Saturday afternoon, so we could hoof it over to Hollywood Studios after we're done with Epcot.

Cheers! And May the 4th Be With You!

Joining in too! Your ADRs look amazing! Can't wait to read all about your Star Wars weekend experience and am especially excited about your ADR reports :hyper: Have a blast!!

Joining! We will arriving as you leave and doing so many of the same things so really looking forward to picking up any tips. It will be our 2nd SWW but feel much more prepared this time, we were part of the ridiculousness of trying to get a Rebel Hangar ADR yesterday so really interested to hear about that. Have fun!

Joining! We will arriving as you leave and doing so many of the same things so really looking forward to picking up any tips. It will be our 2nd SWW but feel much more prepared this time, we were part of the ridiculousness of trying to get a Rebel Hangar ADR yesterday so really interested to hear about that. Have fun!

So excited for your upcoming trip! I'll do my best to get at least something posted as soon as we get back - but I probably won't be fast enough to help you before you leave. :( Fingers crossed that others will be doing some live reporting that will help you out. It always takes a few days to regroup, get through some piles that have built up at work, etc. Coming back from vacation is so hard!!! Hope you have a wonderful time! What day are you going to the Rebel Hangar?

We have ADRs for Rebel Hangar for the four of us on 5/24 and then a second on 5/29 just for my husband and his cousin as they are making a repeat trip to SWW whilst we shop before flying home. If we don't like it on 5/24 we can always cancel. We are doing Boathouse on 5/27 and I am really hoping that lives up to expectations too! I hope you have a wonderful vacation

Hi everyone! We have been back for a week now, and I'm still digging through "must dos" at work, and busy after-hours projects (i.e. laundry and end-of-school-year commitments). Hopefully next week I'll be able to buckle down and start my report. Some quick thoughts:

- It was very hot in Orlando. Packed plenty of shirts, but I could have used 2-3 more pairs of everything else. Hot, sticky, and sweaty nearly every day. About 10 degrees too warm for me - in the low to mid- 90s.
- Absolute highlight of the trip was the Chef's Table at Victoria & Albert's. Our 13-year old son said the same. So that's a ringing endorsement! Best. Meal. Ever.
- Star Wars stuff was awesome. The Rebel Hangar was fun. We had the first reservation time on the first day, and it was exciting to be there.
- Spoiler Alert - no Boathouse meal for us. We were just too darned stuffed. Dining with an Imagineer was a 4-course lunch, and although dinner was scheduled 5 hours after it ended, we just couldn't "stomach" another big meal. LOL! Next time!
- Hubby thought Galactic Gathering was cool, and as an ultimate Star Wars fan, he was glad he did it. However, he doesn't feel he would want to do it again. Lots of scalpers there cleaning (as in, sweeping an entire shelf's worth with their arms into their bags) items off the shelves. It was to be expected, I suppose, but really wasn't in the "spirit" of what the event was about. Getting a couple of extra things to pay for the price of your admission through re-selling is okay - but the amount of blatant profit-making piggy-ness that goes on is disgusting to me.
- We were worried about whether we'd use Memory-Maker enough to make it worth the cost, but it was not time-consuming at all to stop for photos, and it was fun. Worth the money. The download process is a bit time consuming, because of all the "stickers" and "borders" you can add and then re-download. All I can say is that I'm glad we have a month to get it done!
- I am an uber-planner, and really enjoyed FastPass+. Worked well for us.
- BOG Breakfast was very good. Your $20 buys you a nice hearty breakfast, coffee or tea to go from the coffee bar on the way out, and a nice front-of-the-line pass for 7DMT. Well worth it in our opinion.
- Polynesian (first stay) was beautiful. Our favorite resort. We love Grand Floridian, but we felt we were always walking quite a ways at the GF to get anywhere. Not sure if Club Level was REALLY worth it for us. My hubby disagrees, and really liked having the convenience of the lounge. I'll have to think on that some more. We saw Wishes so often and perfectly from either the lounge or our room that we cancelled our FastPass to see wishes from the hub, and I don't feel we missed anything.
- We ate everything we wanted to try from the Outdoor Kitchens at the Flower & Garden Festival during a single lunchtime. We just tried one of everything on our list and split it between the three of us. It was all good food, but we didn't need two days to sample it all.
- After such an active vacation, I am looking forward to our 7-night DCL cruise next year. Utterly and completely different kind of relaxing vacation, and I'm already counting down. I'd like to think that if Walt was still alive, he'd feel the same about his company's cruise line. :)

Wow, sounds awesome!! Who knew about the front of the line 7DMT with BOG breakfast...that's awesome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter