The flying dutchman

jbugeye22

Earning My Ears
We sailed on the Dream from Jan 27-31. When we went to Castaway Cay we did not see the Flying Dutchman. Is it no longer there? What happened to it. My kids were very anxious to see it and disappointed when we could not find it. Does anyone know what happened?

It was a movie prop and wasn't built to be outside for that long. It rotted and they tore it down and towed it away.:(

When we were on the Wonder this January, our concierge told us that the salt water had gotten the best of it.....so it was removed. :-(

We sailed on the Dream from Jan 27-31. When we went to Castaway Cay we did not see the Flying Dutchman. Is it no longer there? What happened to it. My kids were very anxious to see it and disappointed when we could not find it. Does anyone know what happened?

It's been gone for about 2 years now. They started dismantling it sometime after Oct 2010.

It was just built as a stage set (for a movie). It wasn't designed to withstand sea, sand, salt, and wind. It just wore down and was unsafe.

Ok, thanks guys! Before we left we watched a video on the Disney Cruise Line and they talked about the Dutchman. It got my kids excited because they LOVE the movies......Guess it was an older video :)

This is the last we saw of the Flying Dutchman back on 10/22/10.

IMG_3390_zpsf26ed0ae.jpg

Thanks for that picture! Its a shame they don't make a replica. One that can stand the elements....

This is the last we saw of the Flying Dutchman back on 10/22/10.

IMG_3390_zpsf26ed0ae.jpg

We were at CC about 3 weeks after this photo ( week b4 Thanksgiving ) and there was a backhoe digging into it from the bulkhead...filling up dumpsters. It was pretty unceremonious. Our trip had a double dip on CC, so we got to see it twice. I will say, they didnt seem to be in a big hurry getting rid of her.

Thanks for that picture! Its a shame they don't make a replica. One that can stand the elements....

It would be cool if they did something like that. The Dutchman really did add to the atmosphere when you got off the ship. Maybe in the future they could build a "Pirate Bay"?

pirate:

AFAIK Disney can only develop a certain amount of the island for use.
The rest has to be left to be as is for environmental reasons, but it would be cool!

itdoesntsmell said:
AFAIK Disney can only develop a certain amount of the island for use.
The rest has to be left to be as is for environmental reasons, but it would be cool!

I think that's Disneys choice not a law/ rule.

You are probably right truck1.

I thought i had read they were resricted on development on a post about the lease on the island but maybe I read it wrong.

I agree. We cruised on the 10/30/10 sailing that year. It was looking pretty sad by then. I wish they would make something that could last.
I think it really added something special there. Now it looks so bare & boring.

I am sorry to be the rotten apple but I am thrilled its gone. It was a movie prop from what I consider one of the worst movies ever made. I am so glad that reminder of a horrible movie is long gone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Another vote for bringing back the Flying Dutchman.pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter