The final countdown is over - we're here!

We were up at 7am today and went to Bob Evans for breakfast. The service was excellent, as it usually is there, but our regular waitress Sandra has transferred to another branch.

Spent the morning at Premium outlets and bought a DKNY dress for myself and a few baby clothes for my new great niece. I'd been hoping to find some Kiehl's products at good prices as in previous years but there were no real bargains this time.

This afternoon we went to DTD and rode on Characters in Flight after a 'light snack' in Ghirardelli. After wandering around for a while we left and went to the Boardwalk for another wander around.

Dinner tonight was at Texas Roadhouse and we were able to get a table within ten minutes of arrival. The staff are all very enthusiastic and service was excellent.

Tomorrow we are going to Lake Dora for 'Planes, Trains And BBQs'!

The weather is good. Pretty hot.. Mid 90s F.

Those Potatoes with cheese & bacon look delicious. Still not made it to the new Teaxas Roadhouse I keep getting vouchers for $5, $10 or Bogof at Logans. Hope we will get there in August.

Texas Roadhouse was one of our favourites last year. We will definitely be going back at least once in November.

Those 'light snacks' at Ghirardellis look delicious :thumbsup2

Enjoying your trip report thanks for taking the time to do it. Have a fantastic holiday. :goodvibes

I am so in awe of those people that do live TRs ..... I always go with good intentions but never seem to be able to manage it ........... thank you for taking the time and have a great day :goodvibes

I am so in awe of those people that do live TRs

They can be quite time consuming, I often stay up late to finish them off but the feedback you get from doing one makes you feel others are part of your holiday, if people appreciate what you are doing it makes it more than worth the time we spend doing them.

They can be quite time consuming, I often stay up late to finish them off but the feedback you get from doing one makes you feel others are part of your holiday, if people appreciate what you are doing it makes it more than worth the time we spend doing them.

Well after that comment Wayne I will go with serious intent to try again. We are going on safari to Africa this year so there will be fantastic pics (I hope) but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to do a TR for that here but next Oct when we go to WDW I'll have another go :goodvibes

Well after that comment Wayne I will go with serious intent to try again. We are going on safari to Africa this year so there will be fantastic pics (I hope) but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to do a TR for that here but next Oct when we go to WDW I'll have another go :goodvibes

Even if you don't do a live TR, please consider doing a TR when you get back. I love to read Trip Reports and, sometimes, with all the live TRs on here, the Trip Reports board gets a little neglected. It would be a shame for those who put so much effort in after their trip not to get the readers they deserve too :goodvibes

Sorry, Julie, for hijacking your trippy a bit :wave2:

Even if you don't do a live TR, please consider doing a TR when you get back. I love to read Trip Reports and, sometimes, with all the live TRs on here, the Trip Reports board gets a little neglected. It would be a shame for those who put so much effort in after their trip not to get the readers they deserve too :goodvibes

Sorry, Julie, for hijacking your trippy a bit :wave2:

No problem.

I enjoy doing the report and they are good to look back on as you often forget some of the things that you did.

Just having coffee and the setting off to Wooton Park on Lake Dora. There should be lots to see there. It’s The Seaplane capital of America.

There are air displays., classic cars,train rides and a barbecue

Had a really fun day in Tavares.

Arrived at Wooten Park around 10am and parked up in the multi-storey carpark before finding somewhere to have breakfast. We had hot ham and cheese sandwiches and coffee at The Bakery and enjoyed a great view of the lake as the flying display started.

Afterwards we strolled around the various stands and were amazed by the seriousness of the barbecue competition. There were teams proudly displaying their awards and clearly there to win.

Another attraction was the 'robbery train ride' so webought tickets for the 1.30 train. It was a fullsize old steam train and there were various characters in period dress mingling with the passengers. Part way through the journey we were boarded by a gang of robbers who were out to steal a box of money off the train. Of course the good guys won and the robbers were either shot or captured. It was good fun and everyone enjoyed it.

Later we took part in the People's Choice barbecue tasting which involved tasting 16 different samples and selecting our favourite.

There are regular events at Lake Dora and we think they are really well organised and good fun.

We ate dinner at Manny's which was as popular and as good as ever.

Saw lots of bikers on Harley Davidsons today. Mostof them must be over 50. Intriguing to know how the company plans to attract younger customers as the current ones get too old to ride.

Tomorrow we are going over to the Space Coast. We have seats on a Dolfuntours boat trip and then plan to go to Port Canaveral.

Sounds like a great day.
Is there a specific site you goto to find these events, looked on the Mount Dora chamber of commerce site and a few more but couldn't see this weekends event (only just woke up though, I might have missed it)

That sounded like a fun filled day out :thumbsup2

Sounds like a great day.
Is there a specific site you goto to find these events, looked on the Mount Dora chamber of commerce site and a few more but couldn't see this weekends event (only just woke up though, I might have missed it)
Wayne, I don't know where Julie found out about that event but it is listed here
There were a couple of shows I was hoping to catch later this year but I heard the military jets have been grounded because of budget cuts. Hopefully, they'll be back in the air for Cocoa Beach in October

That sounded like a fun filled day out :thumbsup2

Wayne, I don't know where Julie found out about that event but it is listed here
There were a couple of shows I was hoping to catch later this year but I heard the military jets have been grounded because of budget cuts. Hopefully, they'll be back in the air for Cocoa Beach in October

Thank you, now I have woke up I have found this site also http://www.tavares.org/facilities.aspx?RID=13&Page=detail

We really enjoy these events. It's a real taste of smalltown America and definitely not aimed at the tourist. The Antique Boat Festival in March is fantastic fun too.
So many events on this weekend that we were spoilt for choice. Celebration Pie Festival is on too. The bikers are here for the Leesburg Bikefest. 300000 bikers! According to an article I read last night!

Off. Out no. Will try to post some photos later.

Some photos from yesterday......

I think I forgot to mention that there were some great classic cars to see too at the event in Tavares.

The 'robbery' train

Dinner at Manny's

The huuuge appetiser (free for signing up to emails)

Apologies for having to split my report into separate updates. The internet connection here in the townhouse went down earlier so I don't want to risk losing everything I key in.

We went to Denny's for breakfast this morning. It was very busy but service was good and we had the Blueberry Pancake breakfast. They had a number of bacon 'specials' advertised - including the 'New - Salted Caramel Brownie Sundae with Bacon' and the 'New - Maple Bacon Milk Shake'!!!! We decided to give them a miss for today.

After breakfast and filling up with petrol (sorry - gas) we drove out to Melbourne to join the Dolfun tour. Frustratingly the directions we had got from the website turned out to be out of date, and the boat now sailed from a different marina. Luckily we managed to get to the correct place with about ten minutes to spare. We've noticed tonight that the website has been updated now.

The weather changed for the worse as we were about to set sail and it was raining as we left the marina. Luckily all the seating was inside and undercover. It wasn't too long before we saw dolphins and we managed to see plenty during the two hour trip. The captain gave us an entertaining and informative commentary about the local wildlife and also about the various expensive properties along the waterfront.

Once back on dry land we drove to Port Canaveral and went to Millikins Reef to watch the cruise ships leave and to hear the live music. The service there wasn't as good today as it's been previously. Our waitress explained that several of the staff hadn't turned in today due to hangovers from last night.

We ate tonight at the Sweet Tomatoes on the 192. It's excellent value and this particular branch seemed a little less hectic than the others we've eaten at.

DH and I are doing a tandem parasail at Sammy Duvall's by the Contemporary tomorrow morning. Starting to feel a little nervous, as I'm not good at heights! Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter