The Fairmont in San Francisco?

KarenB

<font color=green>Goes to the mall and sniffs Yank
We are heading to CA next summer and making plans. Has anyone stayed to The Fairmont in San Francisco on points? We want to make this area our "base" and take time to explore the city and day trips to surrounding areas.

If there is a better place to stay on points please chime in! We will have our DSs with us, ages 21 and 20.

Thanks,
Karen

We will be staying there in August so I can let you know later. It looks like a great hotel and we are very excited about celebrating our anniversary there. Our 21 yr old son however will not be going with us. We are looking forward to another great DVC trip!

We will be staying there in August so I can let you know later. It looks like a great hotel and we are very excited about celebrating our anniversary there. Our 21 yr old son however will not be going with us. We are looking forward to another great DVC trip!

Please let me know how it was!! Have a wonderful time!

It's a beautiful hotel, the original of the Fairmont chain, built just over 100 years ago. Make sure you visit the Tonga Room, one of the earliest surviving tiki bars. Current owners of the hotel are planning some renovations and have not said if they are keeping the Tonga Room or not, which has caused a group of locals to stage 'Save the Tonga Room' drink-ins. :drinking:

We're staying there the end of August and our DS is staying there 10 days before us!! I'll let you all know what we think.

It is a beautiful hotel! Everyone should stay there at least once in their life time! It is recognized as the "White House of the West" Every President since William Taft has stayed at the Fairmont, along with other Dignitaries of the world.

1. Parking is quite expensive with added fees $57.00 per night! Does not include tips because you must valet park.

2.The nice thing the four lines of the cable cars intersect near the Fairmont on Nob Hill. Cost to use the cable cars is $5.00 one way, or $11.00 all day per person. Be warned-they are very crowed! Cable cars do go to Embarcadero ( near the Wharf.)

3. We used taxis back and forth to Macy's ( Union Square $5.00 each way not including tip.) We drove to the de Young Museum but had a hard time parking because the garage was full.

4. Although the Tonga Room is very unique, with silk leis ( I think) and the rain storms!The worst regret was purchasing the happy hour in the Tonga Room! $9.50 per person and you must buy one drink. Our tab came to $65.00 for three people and three drinks! The egg rolls were greasy and so-so!I can make my own so maybe we are picky. We were not impressed, and would never do it again! I am so glad we did not decide to eat dinner there. Everyone is different and some people really like it! Here is a link to OpenTable you can research restaurants and make ressies on line.

http://www.opentable.com/
However, the food at the Laurel Court ( in the lobby) looked good! We ordered room service from the Laurel Court and it was good! Just sandwiches, but they were good!

5. We ate at the Cheesecake Factory ( my daughter choice) in Macy's...it was good (not gourmet good, but fresh, good) and inexpensive! I would eat there again!
If you go to the bottom floor ( Cellar) in Macy's lots of little food CS restaurants ( very inexpensive.) Wolf Gang Pucks CS, Boudin's, sushi, etc.

6. Go to the Top of The Mark ( next door at the Mark Hopkins) and have a drink...breathtaking, not to be missed!

7. Alcatraz is a very neat, a fun not to be missed trip! Here is the official link! Purchase your tickets days if not weeks ahead of time, or you will miss out!
http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

8. Pier 39 has may little shops and restaurants! I buy my Ecco sandals and purses there on Pier 39. Great Purse shop!

Here is a pic of the Fairmont!
More in my Trip Report!
0712091131.jpg

Trip Report of The Fairmont!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32696892&posted=1#post32696892

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter