The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingSpeedy said:
As long as he's wearing slacks and a jacket, be it a tuxedo, suit, or separates like khakis and a blazer, there won't be a problem. Ties are optional.

TDC Nala said:
He should wear slacks and a jacket. The jacket is mandatory, ties are optional.

Chef's Table in just over a week!!

Right. His is pretty straightforward. Mine is what I'm having issues with.:)

I usually just go with a little black dress variation - something with room to breathe so I am comfortable after all those courses! I have seen other women in similar dresses, nice pantsuits, more cocktail dress kind of attire... I always bring a wrap or nicer cardigan in case it is chilly, though I think they also have some there for a pinch.

For women, a nice dress or pants suit. Black is always good, or a cocktail dress. Some like to do it up more and wear floor length dresses. As far as shoes, I would'nt wear poolside flipflops, nice sandals should be OK.

I'll be in black pants, sparkly top with a matching jacket and black pumps.

olive said:
I usually just go with a little black dress variation - something with room to breathe so I am comfortable after all those courses! I have seen other women in similar dresses, nice pantsuits, more cocktail dress kind of attire... I always bring a wrap or nicer cardigan in case it is chilly, though I think they also have some there for a pinch.
I heard that too. Pashmina shawls, I think.
I have a lbd .. but its poor length. Have two cocktail y dresses, but they are bright red. More holiday party type..

TDC Nala said:
For women, a nice dress or pants suit. Black is always good, or a cocktail dress. Some like to do it up more and wear floor length dresses. As far as shoes, I would'nt wear poolside flipflops, nice sandals should be OK.

I'll be in black pants, sparkly top with a matching jacket and black pumps.
Oooo.

Thanks for the suggestions!

t_daniels said:
Curious, for a V&A newbie, my husbands attire is pretty straightforward...but I'm having a hard time defining evening. In theory, its easy. Practice, not so much. There's not a thread somewhere hiding on it, is there?

I'm weird, and read this as defining evening attire for YOU! Just in case - a nice sparkly (or non-sparkly, I just love sparkle!) cocktail dress with a shawl with some snazzy heels would work just as well as a nice pantsuit or even a longer evening gown (as in sweeping the floor.) My personal rule for places like this is that whatever I'm wearing can't come from Target or Ross, so that usually necessitates a shopping trip . :P

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards!

Partridge said:
I'm weird, and read this as defining evening attire for YOU! Just in case - a nice sparkly (or non-sparkly, I just love sparkle!) cocktail dress with a shawl with some snazzy heels would work just as well as a nice pantsuit or even a longer evening gown (as in sweeping the floor.) My personal rule for places like this is that whatever I'm wearing can't come from Target or Ross, so that usually necessitates a shopping trip . :P

You aren't weird. You're exactly right.:)

And yeah. Me too. Haha. I have mostly casual ish dresses. Three nicer ones that might work. We will see.

I'll be going to CT with TDC Nala next week. I'm bringing both a cocktail dress and a more formal gown. I'll rely on V&A to provide one of their amazing shawls. I go overboard tho, I LOVE to dress up (makes up for scrubs that I wear normally)

JenKatt said:
I'll be going to CT with TDC Nala next week. I'm bringing both a cocktail dress and a more formal gown. I'll rely on V&A to provide one of their amazing shawls. I go overboard tho, I LOVE to dress up (makes up for scrubs that I wear normally)

Do you ask, or are they offered?

Las Vegas as well (although the stars weren't reviewed this past year), but yeah, that's what I thought too. I just don't think they have gotten there yet unlike AAA.

The Las Vegas guide was actually discontinued when the recession hit, but I'm with you...I wish that it was more widespread as I've found it to be more reliable or at least a better judge than AAA. Based on my experiences, V&A would be good for at least two, and would have a good case for a third star:thumbsup2

On another note...can't wait for our first visit to the Queen Victoria room in a few weeks! :cool1:

The Las Vegas guide was actually discontinued when the recession hit, but I'm with you...I wish that it was more widespread as I've found it to be more reliable or at least a better judge than AAA. Based on my experiences, V&A would be good for at least two, and would have a good case for a third star:thumbsup2

On another note...can't wait for our first visit to the Queen Victoria room in a few weeks! :cool1:

Wow, I didn't realize it had been that long! Well, Michelin should definitely get back on that, and expand!

Good to know you think it would be 2-3 Michelin star worthy though! While we've gone to some Michelin places in Vegas and soon in Chicago, we have yet to go to V&A's and are really hoping it lives up to our other experiences!

From my limited experience, I would also give V&A at least 2 Michelin stars. Good to know about the reasons of why it probably doesn't have any.

It's hard to believe that a week ago tonight my wife and I ate at the Chef's Table. The pictures are at the link below if anyone wants to look. I'll focus on a few things that may have been different than normal nights.

My wife doesn't like game meat, so there were two substitutions that Chef Aimee (Scott was off that night) made for her. First, instead of the cold smoked lamb, she had cold smoked shrimp. Actually, the lamb was accidentally brought out for her at first, but once Aimee saw it, it was instantly taken away and the correct shrimp was brought out. Since Aimee, herself, doesn't like the taste of lamb, she is especially sympathetic to others that don't like lamb. Anyway, I tried some of the shrimp and thought it tasted almost better than the lamb. I would definitely recommend having one person get lamb and one get shrimp and sharing. Similarly, while I had some elk, my wife got the veal. Again, try to get both and share.

Regarding the add-ons, we got two of them. The first was some white truffle, which I probably didn't really appreciate. I know it's extremely rare and only available a few months out of the year, but I'm not very experienced in truffles, so I got it more to say that I had tried it than to actually enjoy it. The second add-on was worth every penny - we both got the wagyu beef. It's impossible to describe, and saying it's the best beef I've ever had just doesn't do it justice. If it's available, seriously consider getting it.

I've seen a lot of talk about the wine in this thread. My wife and I both got it. We are certainly no experts on wine, but you can judge from my name that I live in a part of the country where it is very easy to get a very good bottle of wine. Overall, the wine was good but not great. But that's okay, since I was going for great food and not great wine. Yes, there is a lot of wine, but it's not a college frat party where someone is making you drink all of it. I think I only finished two of the wine pairings. If you are uncomfortable not finishing all of the wine, then maybe you should think twice. I saved the extra room for the food, and I made the right decision for myself. Drink responsibly and don't drive impaired.

There was one thing that happened that may have been unique for our visit. About halfway through, we saw our server standing on a ladder in the kitchen and doing something with the clock. Apparently, the clock had stopped working and that was causing problems since certain dishes need to have things done at certain times. Another clock was found elsewhere in the resort and hung on the wall as a quick replacement. It made for an interesting conversation when he brought the next course to our table.

Overall, it was easily the best meal I have ever had. Aimee ran a great kitchen that night, and it also seemed that all of the chefs were having a good time laughing and talking with each other and not just doing their job.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106097539418998487934/albums/5817735622399545313

It's hard to believe that a week ago tonight my wife and I ate at the Chef's Table. The pictures are at the link below if anyone wants to look. I'll focus on a few things that may have been different than normal nights.

My wife doesn't like game meat, so there were two substitutions that Chef Aimee (Scott was off that night) made for her. First, instead of the cold smoked lamb, she had cold smoked shrimp. Actually, the lamb was accidentally brought out for her at first, but once Aimee saw it, it was instantly taken away and the correct shrimp was brought out. Since Aimee, herself, doesn't like the taste of lamb, she is especially sympathetic to others that don't like lamb. Anyway, I tried some of the shrimp and thought it tasted almost better than the lamb. I would definitely recommend having one person get lamb and one get shrimp and sharing. Similarly, while I had some elk, my wife got the veal. Again, try to get both and share.

Regarding the add-ons, we got two of them. The first was some white truffle, which I probably didn't really appreciate. I know it's extremely rare and only available a few months out of the year, but I'm not very experienced in truffles, so I got it more to say that I had tried it than to actually enjoy it. The second add-on was worth every penny - we both got the wagyu beef. It's impossible to describe, and saying it's the best beef I've ever had just doesn't do it justice. If it's available, seriously consider getting it.

I've seen a lot of talk about the wine in this thread. My wife and I both got it. We are certainly no experts on wine, but you can judge from my name that I live in a part of the country where it is very easy to get a very good bottle of wine. Overall, the wine was good but not great. But that's okay, since I was going for great food and not great wine. Yes, there is a lot of wine, but it's not a college frat party where someone is making you drink all of it. I think I only finished two of the wine pairings. If you are uncomfortable not finishing all of the wine, then maybe you should think twice. I saved the extra room for the food, and I made the right decision for myself. Drink responsibly and don't drive impaired.

There was one thing that happened that may have been unique for our visit. About halfway through, we saw our server standing on a ladder in the kitchen and doing something with the clock. Apparently, the clock had stopped working and that was causing problems since certain dishes need to have things done at certain times. Another clock was found elsewhere in the resort and hung on the wall as a quick replacement. It made for an interesting conversation when he brought the next course to our table.

Overall, it was easily the best meal I have ever had. Aimee ran a great kitchen that night, and it also seemed that all of the chefs were having a good time laughing and talking with each other and not just doing their job.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, have to agree with everyone else's disappointment in the lack of US cities that Michelin has chosen to explore. And it will be a long time before central Florida joins that group, if ever.

I also agree that I've been more impressed by some Michelin 2 stars than some AAA Five Diamond restaurants that I've visited. There's one place close to where we live that has only been consistent in its inconsistency - definitely a shame when you're spending so much.

Can't wait to be back at V&A for New Year's Eve this year - less than a month away! I'll try to keep my head on and remember to come back and post photos here :faint:

t_daniels said:
You aren't weird. You're exactly right.:)

And yeah. Me too. Haha. I have mostly casual ish dresses. Three nicer ones that might work. We will see.

Validation!! :) If you look at pictures of dining reports and see what some people are wearing, that should give you an indication of if anything you have is appropriate or not. Remember, every dress is only niceish until you add accessories. ;)

thanks for the review and the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter