The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has really been helpful. Just so I have it straight...

The main dining room has a fixed price menu that starts at $125. It goes up from there with the upgrades. When you make an ADR they discuss your likes and dislikes. This part worries me. I don't like duck, lamb, escargot, ostrich, etc. Will I look like an idiot?! Lol is there a TR somewhere with the choices? Do they have three choices per course when you arrive and then they let you pick?

We dined at V&A in December the day after our wedding and it was fantastic. The most amazing dining experience I have ever experienced and I cant wait to go back in 2011. Yes my wife and I made a pact that we would eat there for our anniversary every other year;)

The main dining room has a fixed price menu that starts at $125. It goes up from there with the upgrades. When you make an ADR they discuss your likes and dislikes. This part worries me. I don't like duck, lamb, escargot, ostrich, etc. Will I look like an idiot?! Lol is there a TR somewhere with the choices? Do they have three choices per course when you arrive and then they let you pick?

I'm like you, there are lots of things I do not like, but there are lots of things I'm allergic to as well.

They will let you order pretty much anything you want. They will let you substitute other courses for the ones you don't want. They also have a vegetarian menu. If you want you can select one course vegetarian, or all your courses.

It's not when you make the ADR. They call about 10 days before your reservation, both to confirm your reservation and to get your likes/dislikes. Yes, you can tell them that you don't like certain things, as many as you wish. I'm sure they've heard it all. But realize that the particular dish you don't like would only be one choice of the three. When we were there, for each of the courses, there was at least one "normal" choice, like beef or chicken or "usual" fish. There are 6 courses, plus dessert. There is also a vegetarian menu from which you can choose. And yes, you order one option for each of the courses when you're there.

There's nowhere that you could have the "choices" since everyone's menu
is personalized. My d's was different than mine. Even our "amuse bouche", served before the first course, was different - mine was lobster 4 ways, but d doesn't like shellfish, so she had beef, I believe. But everything was delicious.

I'm sure they'd accomodate your request, but considering the quality of the food, you'd really be ruining excellent cuts of meat by asking for it to be cooked anywhere past medium/medium rare. Also, Kobe/Wagyu should never be cooked past med rare. The fat melts away and the meat is very dry (I learned the hard way when I overcooked a piece at home).

Thanks for the info, but I really can not tollorate meat that is still red, I would rather skip the course (I have tried it in the past and I know it makes me gag!), my DH and friends whom I would be eating with would eat their meat this way though. My DH and friends would order the Kobe and apreciate this, but I know for my palate I would not enjoy it cooked as it is intended. Perhaps I should send my DH and friends to eat at V&A without me. Although this makes me quite sad, I know I would adore the ambiance of the restaurant.

I do not think you have to send your party to V&A without you only because you do not wish to eat meat that is not well done. You should not have any problem ordering meat cooked however you wish, and then you don't have to spend the upcharge for the kobe or waygu. In fact you would not need to order red meat at all if you do not wish to.

Thanks for the info, I really would like to dine at V&A with my DH and friends, I know I would love it. Maybe they could order the expensive cuts of meat and enjoy them, then I could stick to the regular menu, order it well cooked and bring the cost of the meal down!! lol

They will not even bat an eye to cook your food as you like it. And I'm sure they'll do a magnificent job - there's no way they would "ruin" the meat for you. Regular chefs, maybe; V&A chefs will know exactly how to do it and do it well.

Kind of bummed, any suggestions?

My mom has a reservation for her and a friend at V & A's coming up for her birthday. She told me she didn't get the wine pairing because her friend didn't want to do it. So I was going to get it for her as a birthday surprise. I called and they said they couldn't do it in advance, that it is only done at the time of the dinner and paid for at that time.

It seems dumb that Disney doesn't want the $! I know she won't get it for herself.

I take it you are not going to be there and you want to add the wine pairing to your mother's selections and pay for it yourself before she even gets there.

That is correct that you cannot do that. V&A does not accept advance payment.

Buy her a gift card in the amount of the wine pairing and surprise her with it before she leaves (if you will not be on the trip with her). She still has the option to use the gift card for something else though. It sounds as though she does not want the pairing if her friend doesn't want it.

I was just going to post the same exact thing as TDC Nala. Get her a gift card (you can get them at WDW or The Disney Store) for the price and have her use it for the wine pairing. Get creative with the card and a cute saying about it.

I'm sure there are reasons why they cant do it, but it seems to me that taking payment for the wine pairing upcharge in advance shouldnt be that difficult for a 5 diamond restaurant. Perhaps its the hotel manager in me coming out, but if I was a manager for V&A I'd find a way to make it happen.... Sorry to hear they are making you jump through hoops on it....

Are the reservations at set times? For example, they only seat at 6 and 9pm. Or can you pick the time of your arrival?

They usually have two seatings, an early and late seating, with about a 15 minute leeway on either side.

Seating at Victoria & Albert's varies throughout the year:

September to June - 5:45-6:30 pm and 9:00-9:45 pm
July to August - 7:00-7:45 pm

This is a great idea!

We will be dining at V&A for the first time in September and we are very much looking forward to it.

When I called to make my ADR I was asked about allergies but not preferences. As my DDad is allergic to white fish I'm guessing they will change the fish course for him. I explained that he can eat tuna, salmon (red flesh fish) and shellfish (lobster, crab and shrimp) so that should work out. Also, my DDad and I are allergic to blue cheese, or any cheese with a mould vein. They made sure to carefully note the allergies.

As far as preferences go I really can't think of anything that I'd *hate* to see on my plate. Sure I wouldn't exactly *love* brussel sprouts :lmao: but I wouldn't go so far as to forbid their presence at my dinner ;)

When I called to make my ADR I asked about the TIW discount and the woman knew nothing about it! I asked her to check and she was able to confirm that TIW *CAN* be applied to main dining room meals, including wine pairings.

I'm sure there are reasons why they cant do it, but it seems to me that taking payment for the wine pairing upcharge in advance shouldnt be that difficult for a 5 diamond restaurant. Perhaps its the hotel manager in me coming out, but if I was a manager for V&A I'd find a way to make it happen.... Sorry to hear they are making you jump through hoops on it....
If I were to guess, I'd say that they don't do it because too many people change their minds based on how they're feeling that day. I know I initially thought that I wanted the pairing, but decided against it because of a small headache that night.

It's a lot of wine and a lot of money, and I'd bet that they'd get a lot of angry guests changing their minds and wanting refunds for the pairing if they've prepaid.

I've been on the fence about booking this for myself and DH for our next trip. My question is....when the bill comes do you honestly feel that it was worth what you are paying? It sounds like for most people, the answer is "yes." :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!