The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant....

No, it is one of the laws concerning the line of succession that is currently under scrutiny and will likely change, but as for now it stands. It is not so much that they are not allowed to marry a Roman Catholic, it is that they would abdicate their place in the line of Succession should they do so.

The Act of Settlement (1701) laid down that only Protestant heirs of Princess Sophia, granddaughter of James I, may succeed to the British throne. Neither Roman Catholics, nor those who marry a Roman Catholic, nor those born out of wedlock, may remain in the line of succession. Under current common law the crown is passed on by male primogeniture under which younger sons succeed before their elder sisters.

Because the monarch is the head of the Church of England, and how that schism evolved, it is not likely to change any time soon.

When I was in high school, my best friend and I had quite the argument about this. She was absolutely convinced that Queen Elizabeth was still running the country - like how you think a queen would run a country - and that the Prime Minister was head of the church. There was nothing I could say or do to convince her otherwise. We asked our history teacher. We asked our British foreign exchange student. We consulted the internet. No matter what everyone told her, she was absolutely convinced that the Queen was 100% in charge, Parliament did not exist, and that the Prime Minister got his name because he was the minister in charge.:rotfl2:

I know she converted to the Church of England before they married. Not sure if she was Roman Catholic before or not, but she converted from something.

Not converted she went through the confirmation. She had been baptised church of england but not confirmed. The catholic rule was because of James II.

It's in the process of being changed right now.

I think the monarch can have a Roman Catholic spouse, but I don't think they themselves can be Catholic.

From Wikipedia:

Restrictions by gender and religionSee also: 2011 proposals to change the rules of royal succession in the Commonwealth realms
Succession is currently governed by male-preference cognatic primogeniture, under which sons inherit before daughters, and elder children inherit before younger ones of the same gender. However, on Friday 28 October 2011, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, announced at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth that all 16 Commonwealth realms, including the United Kingdom, had unanimously agreed to abolish the gender-preference rule.[88] They also agreed that future monarchs should no longer be prohibited from marrying a Catholic – a law which dates from the Act of Settlement 1701, following the Glorious Revolution of 1688. However, since the monarch is also the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, the law which prohibits a Roman Catholic from acceding to the throne – which originated as a result of the English and Scots' distrust of Roman Catholicism during the late 17th century – would remain.

Only individuals who are Protestants may inherit the Crown. Roman Catholics and spouses of Roman Catholics are prohibited from succeeding.[89][90][91] An individual thus disabled from inheriting the Crown is deemed "naturally dead" for succession purposes, and the disqualification does not extend to the individual's legitimate descendants.

I think the monarch can have a Roman Catholic spouse, but I don't think they themselves can be Catholic.

From Wikipedia:

Restrictions by gender and religionSee also: 2011 proposals to change the rules of royal succession in the Commonwealth realms
Succession is currently governed by male-preference cognatic primogeniture, under which sons inherit before daughters, and elder children inherit before younger ones of the same gender. However, on Friday 28 October 2011, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, announced at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth that all 16 Commonwealth realms, including the United Kingdom, had unanimously agreed to abolish the gender-preference rule.[88] They also agreed that future monarchs should no longer be prohibited from marrying a Catholic – a law which dates from the Act of Settlement 1701, following the Glorious Revolution of 1688. However, since the monarch is also the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, the law which prohibits a Roman Catholic from acceding to the throne – which originated as a result of the English and Scots' distrust of Roman Catholicism during the late 17th century – would remain.

Only individuals who are Protestants may inherit the Crown. Roman Catholics and spouses of Roman Catholics are prohibited from succeeding.[89][90][91] An individual thus disabled from inheriting the Crown is deemed "naturally dead" for succession purposes, and the disqualification does not extend to the individual's legitimate descendants.

Actually, from what you quoted, they cannot have a Roman Catholic spouse. I know that this was raised again when the male preference was raised, but it was not approved.

When I was in high school, my best friend and I had quite the argument about this. She was absolutely convinced that Queen Elizabeth was still running the country - like how you think a queen would run a country - and that the Prime Minister was head of the church. There was nothing I could say or do to convince her otherwise. We asked our history teacher. We asked our British foreign exchange student. We consulted the internet. No matter what everyone told her, she was absolutely convinced that the Queen was 100% in charge, Parliament did not exist, and that the Prime Minister got his name because he was the minister in charge.:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2

In theory, the Queen still has constitutional powers, but they'd vanish in an instant if she tried to exercise them. At most they are safeguards. If an unsavoury person ends up as Prime Minister, we could legally get rid of them by asking the Queen to sack them. Nice and tidy.

As for the Catholic thing, laws are going through that are aimed at reforming the Monarchy. Catholics are no longer frowned upon and daughters can ascend to power as equally and easily as a son might.

They cannot have a RC spouse. That is why Prince Michael gave up his place in line. Like he was even close to the front of the line. :rolleyes:

Might be of interest...

All Commonwealth realms have agreed to press ahead with a bill ending discrimination against women in the succession to the British throne.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the government would now introduce the Succession to the Crown Bill in the House of Commons as soon as possible.

It means the first child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will become monarch, whether a boy or a girl.

It will also end the ban on anyone in the line of succession marrying a Roman Catholic.

The legislation was agreed in principle at the Commonwealth heads of government meeting in Perth, Australia in October 2011.

~ BBC News

Actually, from what you quoted, they cannot have a Roman Catholic spouse. I know that this was raised again when the male preference was raised, but it was not approved.

That's not how I am reading it:

They also agreed that future monarchs should no longer be prohibited from marrying a Catholic – a law which dates from the Act of Settlement 1701, following the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

That's not how I am reading it:

The second piece you quoted is recent. It's what is in process of being changed. Until the UK and all 16 Commonwealth members pass the legislation it still stands. Not sure what's so confusing? :confused3

The Queen's oldest grandson Peter Phillips married a Canadian girl couple years ago. She was Catholic and converted.

I am so glad for Kate! The whole country has been waiting for this news since their wedding. I am dreading though seeing headlines like:

KATE STAYS FASHIONABLE EVEN WHEN PREGNANT

Everyday for the next nine months! I'm glad she's having a baby but the media is now focusing on her even more than they were. I do feel sorry for her sometimes, she is a little like a show pony... People are always watching her, more than they ever watched William or Harry.

From reading this thread, you guys are really interested in the royal family lol. No, she is no longer called Kate Middleton, but the media and public still call her that and will do for the unforeseeable future. This happens in the UK too, and no one here really calls her the Duchess of Cambridge very often.

And as for the fact that many of you think Kate's achievements are not very good and she is not necessarily deserving, none of us can really make a judgement because we do not know her personally. However I do think now, as William's wife she is working extremely hard. Her life is filled up with obligations and schedules Monday to Sunday. She has given up so much to marry into the royal family.

If you want to moan about someone royal it should be Beatrice and Eugenie. They do NO royal duties or service and get many royal perks. They have just been ordered to pay £20,000 rent a year for their home in an expensive part of London (their father is footing the bill... And I wonder where he got his money from ;) ) yet average rent for a property of that size and in that area typically costs £100,000 to £150,000 in rent a year. Ugh.

In stark contrast, Kate is IMHO fully worthy of the perks she now receives since she is working flat out and no longer has any privacy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

meggiebeth said:
I am so glad for Kate! The whole country has been waiting for this news since their wedding. I am dreading though seeing headlines like:

KATE STAYS FASHIONABLE EVEN WHEN PREGNANT

Everyday for the next nine months! I'm glad she's having a baby but the media is now focusing on her even more than they were. I do feel sorry for her sometimes, she is a little like a show pony... People are always watching her, more than they ever watched William or Harry.

From reading this thread, you guys are really interested in the royal family lol. No, she is no longer called Kate Middleton, but the media and public still call her that and will do for the unforeseeable future. This happens in the UK too, and no one here really calls her the Duchess of Cambridge very often.

And as for the fact that many of you think Kate's achievements are not very good and she is not necessarily deserving, none of us can really make a judgement because we do not know her personally. However I do think now, as William's wife she is working extremely hard. Her life is filled up with obligations and schedules Monday to Sunday. She has given up so much to marry into the royal family.

If you want to moan about someone royal it should be Beatrice and Eugenie. They do NO royal duties or service and get many royal perks. They have just been ordered to pay £20,000 rent a year for their home in an expensive part of London (their father is footing the bill... And I wonder where he got his money from ;) ) yet average rent for a property of that size and in that area typically costs £100,000 to £150,000 in rent a year. Ugh.

In stark contrast, Kate is IMHO fully worthy of the perks she now receives since she is working flat out and no longer has any privacy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I wouldn't say many of us don't think her achievements are not much. It's just one or two. ;)

I wouldn't say many of us don't think her achievements are not much. It's just one or two. ;)

And really, it isn't about what she has accomplished in her 20+ years. It is about the fact that William fell in love with her. :)

I watched the royal wedding online, when William and Catherine where in the carriage on the way back to the palace someone (claiming to be american but no proof of that) wrote on the daily mail comments that they hoped Catherine would be shot in the head and bleed to death over William. According to the royal gossip forum the only reason that William married was because he was either
1 blackmailed into it, one theory is that he slept with her brother
2 he is a drug addicted moron who fell for her
3 he is insane and needs to be forcibly committed and divorced and given a proper wife. When I say proper virginal is the main point they had a bride lined up for him a miss mystery

Does anyone believe KM knows about "MM" because I certainly do! She knew PW was waiting for "MM" and should have stepped aside and away from PW and told him to pursue the woman of his love. Any woman of honour would have. I remember on the other thread people asking why PW was so happy horsing around with his cousins during the years 2008-2010, and maybe it was because he was waiting for "MM"? Maybe he doesn't realise "MM" is a very distant cousin and if he did he would have found her so much easier instead of him waiting for "MM" during that time period? He must have been waiting for "MM" for years now and he wouldn't have been the only one doing so. I am so curious to know what finally broke PW to make him propose to KM... I have my theories... Does anyone believe he wasn't only pressurised with the press but also pursued relentlessly by many and others behind the scenes in ways that have not been mentioned widely if at all in the press and done so because PW was waiting for "MM" and it didn't fit in with certain individuals plans to force, bully, harass, impose, etc, him to marry KM? (IMO, of course, of course...)

And yes, Kuei Fei, PW was definitely wrong to insult all Christians with that filthy mockery in Westminster Abbey with the gutter sl!t but maybe this is the end of a union between the Crown and The Church of England? Also, too many people wish to see an end to the monarchy in England... this is definitely a conspiracy with too many people failing to do their jobs they get PAID to do! Including the Metropolitan Police. Seriously, stalk another statesman in the open and go to jail, be put in a 50-50 hold, the authorities will mandatorily and by right of law place a restraining order upon you but NOT in England?? This is the future sovereign for crying out loud!

If dumb Willy was preparing to kick her to the curb, she and the Midds one upped him and the royals. He should've ignored her like he seemed to have done during the Jubilee and Olympics. He should've known that she'd play the pregnancy card. The only way for him to get out from under this is if 1. She has a misscarrage or 2. He actually growles a pair and not let the Midds dictate and rule the roost. He'd play up the lie that they're both down to earth people and live modestly. Unfortunately I can only see the first option to be his way out. He strikes me as a stupid moody man who has tantrum but let others control and walk over him. The Midds play this fool boy/man like a fiddle whilst he thinks he's in control.

They have accused her of being a sl*t, a prostitute called her family the middletrashes its utterly insane.

I watched the royal wedding online, when William and Catherine where in the carriage on the way back to the palace someone (claiming to be american but no proof of that) wrote on the daily mail comments that they hoped Catherine would be shot in the head and bleed to death over William. According to the royal gossip forum the only reason that William married was because he was either
3 he is insane and needs to be forcibly committed and divorced and given a proper wife. When I say proper virginal is the main point they had a bride lined up for him a miss mystery

Does anyone believe KM knows about "MM" because I certainly do! She knew PW was waiting for "MM" and should have stepped aside and away from PW and told him to pursue the woman of his love. Any woman of honour would have. I remember on the other thread people asking why PW was so happy horsing around with his cousins during the years 2008-2010, and maybe it was because he was waiting for "MM"? Maybe he doesn't realise "MM" is a very distant cousin and if he did he would have found her so much easier instead of him waiting for "MM" during that time period? He must have been waiting for "MM" for years now and he wouldn't have been the only one doing so. I am so curious to know what finally broke PW to make him propose to KM... I have my theories... Does anyone believe he wasn't only pressurised with the press but also pursued relentlessly by many and others behind the scenes in ways that have not been mentioned widely if at all in the press and done so because PW was waiting for "MM" and it didn't fit in with certain individuals plans to force, bully, harass, impose, etc, him to marry KM? (IMO, of course, of course...)

And yes, Kuei Fei, PW was definitely wrong to insult all Christians with that filthy mockery in Westminster Abbey with the gutter sl!t but maybe this is the end of a union between the Crown and The Church of England? Also, too many people wish to see an end to the monarchy in England... this is definitely a conspiracy with too many people failing to do their jobs they get PAID to do! Including the Metropolitan Police. Seriously, stalk another statesman in the open and go to jail, be put in a 50-50 hold, the authorities will mandatorily and by right of law place a restraining order upon you but NOT in England?? This is the future sovereign for crying out loud!

If dumb Willy was preparing to kick her to the curb, she and the Midds one upped him and the royals. He should've ignored her like he seemed to have done during the Jubilee and Olympics. He should've known that she'd play the pregnancy card. The only way for him to get out from under this is if 1. She has a misscarrage or 2. He actually growles a pair and not let the Midds dictate and rule the roost. He'd play up the lie that they're both down to earth people and live modestly. Unfortunately I can only see the first option to be his way out. He strikes me as a stupid moody man who has tantrum but let others control and walk over him. The Midds play this fool boy/man like a fiddle whilst he thinks he's in control.

They have accused her of being a sl*t, a prostitute called her family the middletrashes its utterly insane.

OK, thoroughly confused now.

What of the above is you speaking and what is you quoting someone else?
If you are quoting somone else, who are you quoting?

ford family

I don't even understand most of this rant but to the bolded, the heck with that. Who doesn't want to be a princess? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter