The Drive, the Dream and DVC - A March 2011 Birthday Surprise TR(NEW 11/9 p. 32 END)

They live in a small town in the SW part of the state, about an hour and a half from Sioux Falls, SD. I guess the closest decent sized town to them is Marshall. I hope the weather is nice too! I've gotten used to warmer weather already here, it's been in the 80s for most of the past 2 weeks. :yay:

Well thats good, I hope.....

Also, I forgot to mention before, my youngest son is a catcher and he LOVES Joe Mauer! He would be quite jealous of Sarah's jersey.

Ah, Marshall! I have a friend from law school from that neck of the woods. I was born and lived in New Ulm until I was 9.

We could manage to find him a Mauer jersey if you want. We have partial season tickets and get a discount on stuff at the pro shop. Something to think about. Although you can find Mauer jerseys at every Target store around here too.
Was it you that has a son that's a big Percy Harvin fan? I remember someone talking about him in a past TR. I'm so confused with people lately!:confused3

I found a couple more pictures from our drive down that were in my phone.
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Okay, so we are driving in the rain toward Port Canaveral!!!
We cross the bridge and are looking a bit to the left and what do we see????

IMG_0247.png

Can you make it out?

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Is it there??
IMG_0251.jpg

I think I see the stacks!

IMG_0254.jpg

Oh yeah!! That's her all right!!

IMG_0255.jpg

We are almost there!!!!

We drive around to the port and are directed by some staff to the drop off location by the terminal. We show our ids and are waved along.
Dave drops us off on the curb and after I determine we have the right luggage (remember I packed the cruise bags separately) we put the luggage tags on them (3 bags) for our stateroom, leave them with a porter (and tip him) and the girls and I head into the terminal. Dave goes to park the car and he has to meet us later.
We go through a metal detector and scanner for our carry on bags just like at the airport. Then it's up the escalator!! At the top is a big model of the cruise ship and either Mickey or Minnie posing for pictures. We don't wait in line for that, but head right to the check in for Castaway Club members! Oh yeah, we're special!!! Us and a gazillion others - it just means we have been on a Disney Cruise before and there is a separate line for us! :laughing:
I check us in after waiting maybe for one person! It took all of about 9 minutes. They gave us our boarding pass # (9) and our Silver Castaway Club lanyards (we now have two sets!). On DCL you are a silver member until you have cruised more than 5 times. Then you move up to gold (and get gold lanyards for another 5 cruises!). Someday we would love to be Platinum members!!! I think that's for over 10 cruises.

So we decide we'll go get the kids all checked in for the Oceaneer's Club/Lab while we wait. We keep an eye out for Dave, who has to join the big long line of people at security who just got off a DCL bus! We find out much later that one of the families in line by him is a DISer who is part of our fish extender exchange group and we'd see them a lot!!!
He finally gets up to us and the kids' club line is not moving at all. But, they call our boarding number, so we are heading on board!!!

They scan your KTTW card and you have to have your picture taken (we did it at check in, but Dave didn't). This way they know you are the person on the card every time you get on and off the ship.
DSCN2979.jpg

Not the best picture, but these are hanging all along the way in.

First order of business:
The boarding picture!
Of course, I don't have this picture in digital form so you'll have to believe me when I say it is a good picture of all of us! :laughing: Then it's up the gangplank we go!
DSCN2980.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

Too bad her eyes were closed!!

Look what else is in port nearby!!
DSCN2982.jpg

When you board a Disney Cruise ship, they ask your last name and the CM announces - please welcome the ***** family! And they all clap and cheer. So of course I gave them my best parade wave! :wave2:

Our rooms weren't ready (not til at least 1) so we headed up to Cabanas for lunch. Cabanas is set up as a multi-station buffet, but when you go up there, they ask how many in your party and find a table for you. It's a little nicer than getting in line and wandering around aimlessly with a huge tray of food and kids trailing behind, all of you lugging carry on bags! Of course, every time you go to a meal, there is a CM handing out hand wipes. No germs will be spread in these restaurants!!!

So the food - there was a station with seafood - crab legs, shrimp and oysters!, meats - carved hot meats, all the side dishes in the world, salad bar, kids food, and OH the desserts!!!! Holy Cow!!! I'm not sure I even saw it all! Everything we had was really good - but I did not take pictures of the food at this meal.

Here's some shots around Cabanas (when it was empty later!)
DSCN3010.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

HUGE mosaic!! Very cool!

DSCN3012.jpg

DSCN3013.jpg

There seems to be a lot of Finding Nemo type stuff and decor on this ship. Not that I mind!
DSCN3219.jpg

DSCN3218.jpg

DSCN3217.jpg

So by the time we finished pigging out (I think we each had about 5 desserts!), our room was ready. We went down to deck 9 and found our stateroom - 9102. You really had to press down hard on the door handle to get it open, and then we got our first glimpse of our Deluxe Family Stateroom - with Verandah!!!!
OH MY GOSH!! It was just beautiful!!!
Somehow I neglected to take any picture of my room number, the door, the fish extender, or the door covered with magnets that we used to decorate!!! We even got two Welcome Home DVC Member magnets from DCL!! We did not use DVC points for the cruise.
Anyway - our stateroom has a split bath, the first one has the sink and toilet. The second has a sink and bath/shower.
Then there's the queen size bed, a separator curtain, and a couch that folds into the lower bunk and the pull down upper bunk. On the right was a HUGE long, desk/dresser.
Room pictures in next post (I'm worried there will be too many in this one)

DSCN3072.jpg

DSCN3071.jpg

There was a new towel friend each night!

DSCN3073-1.jpg

The bunk beds - I think we were just got back from dinner and kids' club time.

lounging
DSCN3018.jpg

DSCN3017.jpg

a very comfy bed and pillows!
DSCN3015.jpg

Looking out from the verandah
DSCN3014.jpg

looking in from the verandah
DSCN2984.jpg

hanging out on the verandah ( I love saying verandah!)
DSCN2983.jpg

After we checked out our room we went to the DVC Member meeting. We met Sarah's email buddy Chloe and her family there. They had been exchanging emails, (thanks to their DISer moms) and Chloe was nice enough to help us keep the trip a surprise. They talked about their common interests and love of Disney. Chloe told Sarah that she hoped they could go to Disney at the same time someday and meet. So we told Sarah that Chloe was on the same cruise that morning and she spent a lot of time looking for her! She spotted her at the member gathering. What a nice family!! They gave away a bunch of prizes and I won a bag. Plus they gave us all lanyards (I've got quite a collection now) and hats. Then on the way out, another reusable tote bag.
Then we went to a shopping presentation. Hoping to win more prizes, but we were shut out. Chloe's family was there too, so Sarah was happy!
Next it was time for the lifeboat drill. We had to find our muster station and line up. Very close together. So of course, we started chatting with our "neighbors". I don't know exactly how it started, I think Sarah asked me if they were DISers. So I asked. Turns out, they WERE! In fact, they were part of our FE group! Jodywgirl! Ken, JoAnn and their daughter Mikaila (sp?). They would turn out to be another family we bumped into often on this trip! Remember that family that Dave was in the security line with? Turns out it was them!!!

So by the time all that was done, the kids wanted to go see the kids' clubs. It was an open family time and we got their wrist bands. They have an electronic scanning device on them (yes it can get wet). So they scan the kids in and out and check them against our KTTW cards. Plus we have to use a password. Quite secure.
Wow, that place is amazing!!! We ended up staying in there so long we missed the first 1/2 of the sail away party and missed meeting up with our FE group!
We were supposed to meet our FE group at 4 at the Wavebands bar, but by the time we got up there, they were gone - all at the party. So we made our way down to watch the end of the dancing fun.

Oceaneers' Club/Lab
DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2995.jpg

Lots of stuff from Andy's Room in Toy Story!
DSCN2996.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

DSCN2998.jpg

DSCN3000.jpg

DSCN3001.jpg

Sarah's "look like Mike" with one eye!

Only Disney could have a kids' area with so much cool stuff. There were tables that were giant ipads to play games on, a light up dance floor, craft rooms, games, video games, a place you can "drive" the ship, it was just ridiculous!

Sail Away Party (not too many pictures since we missed most of it!)
DSCN3002.jpg

DSCN3003.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

lots of people around
DSCN3006.jpg

It was funny - they did at least one of the exact same dances on this ship as on the Wonder - Hey Baby. So the girls and I did the dance with them!!

The show on our first night was The Golden Mickeys. We'd seen it before on the Wonder, but I read they changed some and added some things from some newer movies, so we decided we'd see it. We had late dining (at 8:30), so our showtime was 6:15. Prior to the show, we delivered some of our FE gifts.

The show, shopping and dinner at Artist's Palette coming up next...

Yes, I will be doing a TR. I am doing a dining review first (link in my signature so this is what a dream taste like).
I love your first day. Seeing the ship as we were driving in was so awesome too. I was amazed by the size.
you room looks like it might be a little bigger than ours. We were on deck 7. I loved the verandah too. I can't imagine sailing without one now. We didn;t make it to the kids clubs much. Well only once. Claire was too worried we would do something fun without her. I hope next time (and yes there WILL be a next time) she will lighten up and go more often. She did have fun, but was just worried that we were having more fun than her. :laughing:
I think we had a shortened sail away party as it was raining and they did it indoors. But it was still a lot of fun. We enjoyed Golden Mickeys. I think it was my favorite of the 3 shows.

I can't wait to hear more.

I'm thinking that's just what our stateroom is going to look like! Thanks for the preview!

Have I missed a picture of your FE?
I know it's late, maybe I've forgotten...

I'd like to go on the ship just to see this. Very cool! ::yes::

I'm glad your room had and outside space. I would never, ever, ever be able to stay in a room that was totally closed in with no outside 'escape'. :eek: Looks very nice, and I know all the people who have already scheduled cruises are very excited about seeing what they are in for. :cool1:

WOW!!! The kids club totally rocks!!! :banana:

And what a huge room you got... I've never stayed in a room with a Veranda... After seeing your room, I'm thinking a Veranda is the only way to go!!! :thumbsup2

Love the updates so far... And can't wait to read more!!! popcorn::

Subbing! I love seeing the pics from the Disney Dream, how cool! And I love the pillowcases and the fish extender, so cute!! :goodvibes

Hi everyone!!
Love your trip report!! What a great surprise. We are taking our three kids on the Dream in August and I was wondering about check-in. I am nervous that the birth certificates won't be enough but now I don't know if I have enough time to get them passports. I think you have to send in their birth cert. with the application and what if i didn't get them back in time?? Any suggestions? Thank you

Hi everyone!!
Love your trip report!! What a great surprise. We are taking our three kids on the Dream in August and I was wondering about check-in. I am nervous that the birth certificates won't be enough but now I don't know if I have enough time to get them passports. I think you have to send in their birth cert. with the application and what if i didn't get them back in time?? Any suggestions? Thank you

You have plenty of time to get passports if you sail in Aug. But do it soon as the price is going up again soon. I think you need to allow at least 30 days, more is better, but they told me they are processing them in about 2 weeks right now. We did sail with Birth Certificates though becuase basically my DH was too cheap to buy the passports. We had absolutely NO problmes at all. But I would still recommend getting them.

Wow, what a great post on the Dream!!!

Love the verandah room! It looks so big. I think you helped me decide for our cruise next year! :thumbsup2

Good to know that they seat you at Cabanas. That makes it easier then having to worry about getting a table with food in hand. I love the theme of that restaurant. I have to ask--Did the birds say Mine?

Wow, you got on board quick? I have read something about checking in beforehand. Did you do that or how does that all work?

The kids club looks fabulous. I am planning a trip for next year as it would be DS last chance to go there due to age requirement.

Awesome update! :thumbsup2 :surfweb:Can't wait to read more.

Erika

You have plenty of time to get passports if you sail in Aug. But do it soon as the price is going up again soon. I think you need to allow at least 30 days, more is better, but they told me they are processing them in about 2 weeks right now. We did sail with Birth Certificates though becuase basically my DH was too cheap to buy the passports. We had absolutely NO problmes at all. But I would still recommend getting them.

Thanks so much for the info. I will go get their pictures at AAA this weekend for the application.

Reading this trip report I am getting so excited to go!! What time did you get there to check in and what time do they start boarding?? Thanks
p.s. love.love love all the pictures!! I also can't wait to hear about AKV since we just bought points there and will be going April 2012.

Oh wow, that is really, really cool Sheree!!! I love all the photos you took as it feels like we were getting on board with you all. :) Your room is very nice!

Yes, I will be doing a TR. I am doing a dining review first (link in my signature so this is what a dream taste like).
I love your first day. Seeing the ship as we were driving in was so awesome too. I was amazed by the size.
you room looks like it might be a little bigger than ours. We were on deck 7. I loved the verandah too. I can't imagine sailing without one now. We didn;t make it to the kids clubs much. Well only once. Claire was too worried we would do something fun without her. I hope next time (and yes there WILL be a next time) she will lighten up and go more often. She did have fun, but was just worried that we were having more fun than her. :laughing:
I think we had a shortened sail away party as it was raining and they did it indoors. But it was still a lot of fun. We enjoyed Golden Mickeys. I think it was my favorite of the 3 shows.

I can't wait to hear more.
I really loved the verandah, but just last night I told Dave that if I could go on a longer cruise, I'd sacrifice the verandah! I agree with Claire - you don't want to miss out on anything! Lucky for our kids, the only thing we did while they were in the club was eat at Palo or just wander the ship and take pictures!
I have visited your Dining reviews! YUMMY!!!

I'm thinking that's just what our stateroom is going to look like! Thanks for the preview!

Have I missed a picture of your FE?
I know it's late, maybe I've forgotten...

I'm happy to give you a preview! I hope you love it!
The FE picture is right around where I posted the video - p. 4, post 55.

I'd like to go on the ship just to see this. Very cool! ::yes::

I'm glad your room had and outside space. I would never, ever, ever be able to stay in a room that was totally closed in with no outside 'escape'. :eek: Looks very nice, and I know all the people who have already scheduled cruises are very excited about seeing what they are in for. :cool1:
There are other big beautiful mosaics around the ship too. I'll have more pictures!
Oh, it was really nice to be able to open that door and smell the sea air and look at the ports. But if I could go on a longer cruise, I'd forego the verandah (ow) and save the money!

WOW!!! The kids club totally rocks!!! :banana:

And what a huge room you got... I've never stayed in a room with a Veranda... After seeing your room, I'm thinking a Veranda is the only way to go!!! :thumbsup2

Love the updates so far... And can't wait to read more!!! popcorn::
Oh, definitely. Disney knows how to do the kids' clubs! I would have liked to spend some time in there too! That verandah - ahhhh!

Love the update!!! Very cool pictures!!!
Thanks! There's plenty more where those came from!!

Subbing! I love seeing the pics from the Disney Dream, how cool! And I love the pillowcases and the fish extender, so cute!! :goodvibes
Hi!! Oh, there is so much cool stuff on that ship! I wish I could take credit for the pillowcases and fish extender, but someone with more talent and a fancy sewing machine from Etsy made them! I think they're so cute too! I have the FE hanging up so I can see it everyday! I should use it to put things in for the girls that I find around the house so they go grab their stuff to put away.

Hi everyone!!
:welcome: Thanks!
What she said! :)
We had gotten passports for all of us a couple years back for our first cruise. It's nice to have, but for kids they only last 5 years, so it's an added expense. We're hoping to use them one more time to go to Europe next March before they expire in July 2012. I like having it so I can leave the birth certificates at home where they belong. But it is unnerving to have to mail them in. I wish you could just take it to an office personally.

Wow, what a great post on the Dream!!!

Love the verandah room! It looks so big. I think you helped me decide for our cruise next year! :thumbsup2

Good to know that they seat you at Cabanas. That makes it easier then having to worry about getting a table with food in hand. I love the theme of that restaurant. I have to ask--Did the birds say Mine?

Wow, you got on board quick? I have read something about checking in beforehand. Did you do that or how does that all work?

The kids club looks fabulous. I am planning a trip for next year as it would be DS last chance to go there due to age requirement.

Awesome update! :thumbsup2 :surfweb:Can't wait to read more.

Erika

Yeah, we didn't stand around too long. I think if (when) we go again, I won't be in a hurry to even get to the port before noon. Then you can just walk right on after the mad rush! We did do the online check in and it does save time. They generally ask that everyone does that, and it is really quick when you check in at the port. You show them your IDs (passports for us), give them a signed contract (you won't sue, accept risks, terms etc) and smile for the little web camera. Then you get your boarding pass and that's it! Very slick!

Cabanas was nicely organized. They had staff milling about clearing tables and telling the host/hostess when they had space. No, the birds didn't say "mine" although that would have been funny!! it was a nice theme and although crowded, and some of the seating was tight (the chairs should NOT have arms!), it was pretty relaxed.
The kids club - your son may age out of that but there is a tween club area too. I didn't see it up close, but it's a little more loose in terms of restriction. I think you can give your child freedom to come and go if you choose.
I haven't even mentioned the wave phones yet! I'll have to remember that in the next update! It's the new way to keep in touch with the clubs, your family etc. There are two in the room.

Thanks so much for the info. I will go get their pictures at AAA this weekend for the application.
See, if you get passports now, you can do more international traveling since they will already be done and paid for!! Good luck! I know they are faster than when they first changed all those travel rules a couple years ago. I don't think there's as much a backlog.

Reading this trip report I am getting so excited to go!! What time did you get there to check in and what time do they start boarding?? Thanks
p.s. love.love love all the pictures!! I also can't wait to hear about AKV since we just bought points there and will be going April 2012.

We arrived at the port a little before noon I think. They start the boarding somewhere around noon, 12:30. It all depends. So it doesn't necessarily pay to get there too early. You can sign up for the kids' club on line (which we did), but you still have to go get wristbands either at the port or on the ship. I suppose that would kill some time. The rooms aren't ready until 1:30, so you have to carry your bags (carry on) with you to lunch. I'm tempted to go really late, go straight to the room, and then go get food, but I don't know how late they keep the lunch buffet open for sure. I'm sure it says on my navigators; I'll check when I'm home.
Pictures - thank you. I thought I took some of pretty much everything, but there is so much I missed. I guess I have to go back! :laughing:
AKV - LOVE it LOVE it!!! I will have lots of info on that as well, but it will be a while.

Oh wow, that is really, really cool Sheree!!! I love all the photos you took as it feels like we were getting on board with you all. :) Your room is very nice!

Thanks! I wish you guys had been getting on board with us! Can you imagine how much fun we'd all have? The room was really quite awesome! I have been so spoiled!

Great pictures! I really want to do a Disney cruise sometime...maybe next year?? They will be sailing out of NYC next year, so it's always an option. :goodvibes Flights from Buffalo to NYC are super cheap and an 8-night cruise to the Bahamas would sure be nice. :thumbsup2

Ah, Marshall! I have a friend from law school from that neck of the woods. I was born and lived in New Ulm until I was 9.

We could manage to find him a Mauer jersey if you want. We have partial season tickets and get a discount on stuff at the pro shop. Something to think about. Although you can find Mauer jerseys at every Target store around here too.
Was it you that has a son that's a big Percy Harvin fan? I remember someone talking about him in a past TR. I'm so confused with people lately!:confused3

Nope that one wasn't me! We're Adrian Peterson fans though since he went to school at my alma mater :thumbsup2

I might get him a Mauer jersey for his birthday, but that isn't until September. I'll let you know if I have trouble finding one. Thanks for the offer!

I loved this latest update!! I'm getting so excited to go on the Dream myself! We have a Deluxe Family Stateroom w/ Verandah as well so you gave me a nice preview of what we'll have. It looks like a great room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter