The Dream is over, but I don't want to wake up...Sailing into a New Year

I think it is wrong to take so long to tell us about your trip. :)

Cool to board on your birthday and glad you got the quick bacon dip in. I won't tell anyone!!!!

I'm still reading - I check everyday for updates. Please keep posting.

Thanks for hanging in. Lot's of great stuff to share about the cruise.

I'm still with you! Better hurry up though... we leave in 36 days!!

Oh I'm pacing myself and when you guys board I'll post it all...lol...:rotfl2:

Glad I'm not the only one who checks daily for any updates! :)

I think it is wrong to take so long to tell us about your trip. :)

Cool to board on your birthday and glad you got the quick bacon dip in. I won't tell anyone!!!!

I will remember that when you start. In all seriousness you and I need to get together and try to plan a cruise together with your family and mine. Have you done Alaska? Or that huge mammoth ship?...what is it called Oasis of the Sea or something like that. Let's do it!! and the bacon is my treat. :idea:

Welcome aboard Mateys. The Captain has sent me to meet you. He says that it is about time you boarded the Dream. He would have greeted you himself but his mustache is a mess without his favorite comb. Atleast his hat was found.....It was pinned to the wall between rooms 11014 1nd 11016 on deck 11....and there was a note. The note said.....Dear Captain, Here is your hat....It's not my size and besides it smells like a codfish.The Captain will meet you for Dinner later...if he can get his mustache under control

Ok so when I was originally planning this trip I had thought of just getting and inside stateroom with the magic window, but upon further research, I found a video on Yutube of room 5022 and I absolutely fell in love with the idea of having that room. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcI-5aSfYds

Well after contacting my favorite TA and finding out that 1. It was available and 2. It was only 400$ difference between Cat.11B and Cat.8A. In addition at that time the yen rate was strong against the dollar so I mailed her and booked that room as fast as my fingers would type. 702 days before the sailing date I had my dream room on the Dream.

Maybe you can understand a little bit better now why as we approached our room I began to tear up. I had taught alot of extra hours and lessons to get us into this room and aboard this particular cruise. A New Year's cruise is not cheap and I am a teacher. Teachers don't make that much. My wife looked at me and laughed as my tears flowed. Our marriage is kind of backwards. I am the emotional one. Where as sometimes I think I need to check for a pulse to see if her heart is even beating. :confused3

When we entered the room we saw the bed and the bedroom section. I love how the room was divided and it really felt like a suite. The windows are huge and offer incredible views throughout the trip.
On the bed was our Castaway club bag. Inside was a whiteboard, but no snacks. I was surprised as Ib thought I would get atleast a rice crispy treat. More on the bag later.
In the living room area of the room was all the special stuff I ordered....The bonvoyage champagne....touch of romance package( bathrobe, chocolates), our Palo tickets and Castaway Cay excursion tickets.Oh and the beer mug I had ordered my wife before leaving for a present....Hey...wait a minute....whose birthday was it?? I'm used to it...she is spoiled and I'm not to put it simple.

Just look at that amazing window...and I had two.

After that I hung up the magnets and my Fish extender outside my door. A great BIG thanks to the Zell family for those.

Then it was off to meet or friends, eat, and hopefully meet up with my Fish extender group, but that will have to wait for the next update.:bitelip:

Hey, that FE looks so familiar!:thumbsup2 I never saw the magnets Drew was working on for you...I like them...lets hope he actually gets around to making some for us too! I'm just gald we got another update. :goodvibes

Hey, that FE looks so familiar!:thumbsup2 I never saw the magnets Drew was working on for you...I like them...lets hope he actually gets around to making some for us too! I'm just gald we got another update. :goodvibes

The FE now hangs in my office. With the new promotion and now managing the whole Kanagawa area it's going to come in handy formy daily notes. Those are the first day magnets... We actually had a few to change out on other days.

Hey what do u think of Drew and I trying to plan a joint cruise? Maybe 2015 or 2016???

I LOVE your door magnets. I went crazy with mine but your custom designs are awesome! Who did them for you? We booked category 8D before and are planning next years cruise. We were going to do 8D again. Does the 8A have a split bath or only one bathroom? Is there a pull down Murphy bed? Cannot wait for the next update!

I LOVE your door magnets. I went crazy with mine but your custom designs are awesome! Who did them for you? We booked category 8D before and are planning next years cruise. We were going to do 8D again. Does the 8A have a split bath or only one bathroom? Is there a pull down Murphy bed? Cannot wait for the next update!

No split bath or Murphy bed... It's a huge room but could only sleep 3. It was perfect for us though and if I'm on the Dream or Fantasy I guarantee I'll be in this room or atleast one similar.

We had a magnet making party before the trip. Mr Zell sent me all but the Goofy ears and we printed them out at my house before leaving Japan

Loving your TR so far! Can't wait to hear how you enjoyed the Dream. We love her! :thumbsup2

YAY! Can't wait to read- so excited you are doing a TR! :wave2:

The FE now hangs in my office. With the new promotion and now managing the whole Kanagawa area it's going to come in handy formy daily notes. Those are the first day magnets... We actually had a few to change out on other days.

Hey what do u think of Drew and I trying to plan a joint cruise? Maybe 2015 or 2016???

I love that you have your FE hanging up in your office! What a great reminder of your cruise. I think a joint cruise would be a blast. We will have to talk about dates!

Now, on with your report!:)

So after checking out our perfect room we were headed to watch our friends board the Dream. On the way out we met Giovanny...our room steward. More on him later, but I will say he made the cruise extra special and in the end got a BIG tip for it.
So we made it up or down in our case and t wasn't long before we saw Hidemi,Maki,Tomo and Shuichi crossing the gangplank. It was funny as they crossed they stopped just short of the door to take pictures. The crew was waiting ...we were waiting. I was thinking hurry up I'm hungry.

Finally we get up to Cabanas and it's about 1:30. Now I have about 30 minutes to eat before my FE group meet up. I haven't had a chance to remember where the meeting is and my phones internet reception isn't working. Oh well I grab my first plate and fill it with shrimp...throw on a few crab. Then I get a bowl put in some Mac and Cheese and chicken strip.
The shrimp was heaven. I would eat alot more thrughout the trip.

I then get a drink and sit and relax.

Wife's plate looks similiar and her with a drink.

There was a beautiful rainbow off the back of the ship. I thought it would be a good sign for things to come, but as you will soon see in this case rainbow actually meant rain coming. Anyway we are not there yet.

It was 2:00 so I ran down to where I thought my group was meeting. I checked Pink, I checked the other bar nearby, but no one was there. I then went back up to eat more shrimp....I was disappointed. I had worked hard on my FEgifts and hope to meet everyone. More on the FE exchange later. Anyway about 2:15 I remembered where the meeting was. It was midship....but by the time I got there the DVC meeting was going on. :confused3
Oh well I did it again....missed meeting people I had been talking with and planning to meet for months. I am really sorry about that and do regret it.

Ok sorry for such a short update, but we are getting there...although slowly.

I think I know who committed the crime...but as I'm only allowed one guess I'm going to keep reading clues. :)

Hopefully you didn't stress about missing the FE meeting...I'm a firm believer in not stressing on DCL!!!

Keep up the good (uh....but...uh...slowwwww!!!) work!

DZ

Ok where were we?? Oh yeah I had just eaten enough shrimp to start turning into one.:cloud9: In fact I went back for more. I wasn't such a big fan of the crab claws but the shrimp was GREAT!! In Japan shrimp is expensive....why I don't know considering Japan is nothing more than a big island.
Back on track: The others in our group wanted to see their rooms and drop off the bags. I wanted to see these new magical portholes so off we all went to deck 7. Maki's room's porthole had a view of where the ship had been and Hidemi's had a view of where the ship was going. So if you stood in the hall with both doors open you could see the front and the back of the Dream. I thought it was really cool. Oh I skipped a part....at first one of the rooms windows wasn't working. Then I found the button on the wall beside the bed to turn it on. We stayed a few minutes looking for characters, but one never came. I meant to get back over there and look again at some point during the cruise, but never really did. This would be something else tha I had meant to do, but just forgot. I also didn't get any pictures of their room. I will say that I was glad to be in my room after looking at the size difference. Having said that though....if it meant I could take another cruise sooner I would stay in an inside room.

Kiyomi and I left and we all set a time to meet for the Sail Away party. At this time the party was still scheduled for poolside outdoors on Deck 11. I told the group to meet on Deck 12 as I felt the view would be better.
What to do now? We had some time before the lifeboat drill. Our meeting was in the Walt Disney theater. Our friends were also in the Walt Disney theater, but they were in the balcony area.
Anyhow.....we needed to drop by the room and check on something. Hidemi and Maki had both recieved a card with a time for Palos brunch. Neither of them actually had reservations, but I did and I didn't remember seeing a card with my reservation information. Of course me being me I went into panic.
Well to make a long story short the card was on the desk. I felt relief, but then I knew I needed to go and double check the others situation to make sure they didn't get charged. I also wanted to double check and make sure everyone had gotten all of their on board credit. Off to guest services we went.
Just as we were leaving the room we got the bad news....
Due to inclement weather the Sailing Away Party would be moving to the lobby atrium.
These were words I did not want to hear as I had built up the sailing away party and hearing the horn blowing to everyone. Oh well I couldn't control everything I suppose.

Down at guest services I got verything checked and straightened out. No problem with Palos....No problem with OBC. Then we saw a princess in the lobby. Or Kiyomi had spotted her while I was at the desk. Now Kiyomi went and talked with her, because there was no line or other people and she was just standing by the Christmas tree. Kiyomi told her all about our friend Hidemi and how much she loved princesses. After I finished I heard all about their conversation. so I quickly called Hidemi's room on the phone near the guest service desk and told Hidemi that a princess was in the lobby and no one was waiting...Lucky chance!!
Then I went over to meet this princess. She was fantastic and right in character. At first she thought that I was the friend that my wife was speaking of and was surprised when I said that Kiyomi was my wife. She then went on talking about her prince. Then we posed for some pictures.

Here I present* Tiana ...a true southern princess

Well after our Royal meeting we started to see crew members walking around preparing for the Lifeboat drill. So off we went to our drill area. What I thought was cool was to get to our area they were directing us down stairs that were usually used for crew only. Though that area is drab and all white, it was still cool to see a little behind the scenes. the life boat drill was nothing special except my wife being told to turn off the video camera...politely...everything went off without a hitch. They told us to report here if the ship was in distress. I was thinking...nope...haven't you seen Titanic? The water comes in from the lower decks....I'm personally headed to the upper decks not going down. ...or heading for the nearest lifeboat. :scared1: Actually I pay close attention to safety briefings...both on ships and on planes...it's just me.

Ok it was over....now let the fun begin. We went to the atrium for the Sail Away party. We looked and looked for the others....Oh no...I forgot that they may have not caught the announcement about the change, but can't they see the rain outside??? Oh no what do I do????:scared1:

What?!?!? You left us hanging again?!? I want to know what happens! I LOVE the sound of Disney's ship horns!!! Tried to get my husband to download it on my phone but not compatible. It's on his phone & whenever I call him it rings the horns (when you wish upon a star).

What?!?!? You left us hanging again?!? I want to know what happens! I LOVE the sound of Disney's ship horns!!! Tried to get my husband to download it on my phone but not compatible. It's on his phone & whenever I call him it rings the horns (when you wish upon a star).

It's called building suspense. Lol

We have quite the suspenseful TR going here, don't we Wally...I don't know if I can take the short updates...I just think you are trying to get back at Drew for taking so long. ;) I just want to hear more!

Aaaaah U two must be married... Just like in my marriage it's always the husbands fault. :rotfl2:

Ok where was I? Oh yeah I was looking for my group. Shortly before things started I noticed 4 or 5 Japanese people standing in the very front near the stairs. Bad part...they were not from my group. Even worse...they were standing in front of small children who couldn't see. For anyone reading this that was on the ship....That group of Japanese with the cameras who were ALWAYS at the front of partys on the deck and including this party in the atrium...I DO NOT know these people. My friends have better manners and would never block a child's view. Well when I saw it I told Kiyomi about it....she was embarassed that Japanese would do that. I told her to wait near the elevator just a minute and I would be right back. I walked up to the group and said in perfect and clear Japanese....Englsih translation:" Excuse me, but do you realize how rude it is to block a child's view? Would you please either sit down , let the children in front or move to the back?"

I think I shocked them by speaking fluent Japanese. They sat down and let small kids in the front.
Me speaking Japanese to passengers I didn't know would become a frequent occurence this cruise as you will see. The ship was full of Japanese tourists. I credit this to the fact that there have been several specials on TV here in Japan recently about Disney Cruises.

Anyway just as Lesley our Cruise director came out and started the party, Kiyomi and I moved one deck up for a better view.

Lesley was a wonderful Cruise Director and everytime I saw her she was full of excitement.

One deck up we spotted our friends finally.

Overall the SailAway Party was fun, but I felt it was short and lacked something not being on the open deck. I enjoyed the one on the Wonder back in 2007 alot more. I don't blame DCL for this as they can't control the weather. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

***I had to review the video to remind myself of what happened next. we have alot more video than pictures. The reason behind this is that Kiyomi was in charge of video and I was in charge of camera.****

After the party we met up with everyone. We had a quick update that indeed they had gone outside to Deck 12, but seeing no one was there they finally asked a crew member and were directed to the right area. Looking out the window we saw that the rain had stopped....of course. So we headed to the upper decks. The decks were indeed wet, but we were able to watch the ship sail out of port from the front on Deck 13. After that we went back to the EYE scream station where we got icecream and a few of the group filled up and bought their beer mugs. I will say that the three who had the beer mugs definitely got their moneys worth before the end of the cruise.
The Captain ran through the horns. Kiyomi kept asking me..."What song is that?"
Seeing as the entertainment for the evening was a ventriloquist/comedian we decided to skip that and explore the ship a little. I might have enjoyed seeing the show, but was sure comedy would be over everyone elses head. Comedy and jokes do not translate well at all.
While looking around I noticed that the aquaduck had no line....I didn't pay attention to as why not. Kiyomi and I decided we would go change into our bathing suits and give it a try. The others decided to go back to their rooms and unpack a little. So off to our room we went.
How was the aquaduck? well I will tell you next update....I need to frustrate you a little more. Actually it's just late here and I'm sleepy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter