The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! You guys are "awesome". :thumbsup2

Cathie - I meet with the trainer three days a week. She encourages three but practically demands at least two to see steady improvement.

Go Christy go!!!! You are the very definition of awesome!!

We have employee evaluation torture, too. For a long time we had twice yearly evaluations in which everyone had to evaluate everyone else. When we topped 50 employees it was taking many hours just to write the evaluations, which we were required to do on our own time. It became so horrible that the management finally started randomly assigning each person a smaller group to do. It still doesn't make any sense, as really managers should be managing all the time, and as Lauren said, and just dealing with stuff as it happens.

I have to catch up on podcasts, and look forward to seeing Jack!

In home news, I'm going down to California next week to start looking at assisted living places with my mom. Unfortunately her health has been ever more precarious. I really want her here in Seattle, but her health insurance coverage where she is is completely fantastic. She has an amazing team of doctors and pays $15.00 a month with no deductibles, percentage pays, billing or issues. If she comes up here, our options are much more limited and expensive, and she is worried about changing doctors. Her cardiologist is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with, so we're going to have her stay in the Bay Area for now.

I am having a super sad time right now because my kitty Simon, the best kitty in the universe, is gravely ill with a bone marrow problem and I am facing letting go in the next few days. He's been the best cat ever for all of our 16 years together and I can't bear to see him suffer. We have been trying some therapy, but he is not responding. It's incredibly hard to be a vet and not be able to save my own boy.

Excellent Christy!

Heather, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and Simon.:grouphug:

My brother had to let his furry friend, a doberman named Legend, go this week.

It's never easy for anyone. He tries to pretend he's tough and can handle it, but it's tearing him up.

My heart goes out to anyone that has to deal with it.

Go Christy go!!!! You are the very definition of awesome!!

We have employee evaluation torture, too. For a long time we had twice yearly evaluations in which everyone had to evaluate everyone else. When we topped 50 employees it was taking many hours just to write the evaluations, which we were required to do on our own time. It became so horrible that the management finally started randomly assigning each person a smaller group to do. It still doesn't make any sense, as really managers should be managing all the time, and as Lauren said, and just dealing with stuff as it happens.

I have to catch up on podcasts, and look forward to seeing Jack!

In home news, I'm going down to California next week to start looking at assisted living places with my mom. Unfortunately her health has been ever more precarious. I really want her here in Seattle, but her health insurance coverage where she is is completely fantastic. She has an amazing team of doctors and pays $15.00 a month with no deductibles, percentage pays, billing or issues. If she comes up here, our options are much more limited and expensive, and she is worried about changing doctors. Her cardiologist is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with, so we're going to have her stay in the Bay Area for now.

I am having a super sad time right now because my kitty Simon, the best kitty in the universe, is gravely ill with a bone marrow problem and I am facing letting go in the next few days. He's been the best cat ever for all of our 16 years together and I can't bear to see him suffer. We have been trying some therapy, but he is not responding. It's incredibly hard to be a vet and not be able to save my own boy.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and Simon. They are both in my thoughts!:grouphug: I hope all goes well with finding your mom a great assisted living facility!

Excellent Christy!

Heather, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and Simon.:grouphug:

My brother had to let his furry friend, a doberman named Legend, go this week.

It's never easy for anyone. He tries to pretend he's tough and can handle it, but it's tearing him up.

My heart goes out to anyone that has to deal with it.
Heather,

I'm really sorry about your Mom and Simon. I hope you find a great place for your Mom to live. So glad she has such great doctors.

Kevin,

Condolences to your brother. That is so very hard.
Cathie

Thank you for your love and support.

Sweet Simon passed away gently in my arms last night. Of course today is unbearable, but I know that the memories of sixteen years of kitty perfection will keep him ever close in my heart.

I'm so so sorry to hear about Simon's illness and passing.

He was blessed to have a "parent" like you.

I know how precious those 16 years of memories will be in the years to come

{hugs}

We're so sorry about Simon's passing.

He was lucky to have you love him so much.

I hope his peaceful passing was a comfort. For a couple of years after my Mr Pooh kitty passed, I dreamt about him. It was hard to believe that he was gone, so he inhabited my dreams.

Hugs from Cathie and Jack

We seem to have all had a rash of bad news lately! Maybe a little sweetness will help us get going in a positiive direction again. :grouphug: So this layout took five months to get done. But better late than never! How my sister looks that good after just having had a baby I will never know. She says it's the good drugs! :goodvibes

Enjoy!

CharlotteDay1WEB_zps9e6625ae.jpg

We seem to have all had a rash of bad news lately! Maybe a little sweetness will help us get going in a positiive direction again. :grouphug: So this layout took five months to get done. But better late than never! How my sister looks that good after just having had a baby I will never know. She says it's the good drugs! :goodvibes

Enjoy!

CharlotteDay1WEB_zps9e6625ae.jpg
So right--- we do need good news. Too much sadness going around.

Thanks for providing a diversion. Charlotte is beautiful. Just like her Mom and Auntie.

Enjoy!

What a beautiful page for three lovely ladies, and it totally cheers me up!!

The long lost friends week page is awesome too.

Great pages, Lauren! The limited time magic thing has been kind of "meh" to me...but the lost friends was a great idea. I would have liked to see some of those characters.

Any one else having mixed feelings today?

on the one hand, it would have been nice had ABD managed to arrange for conclave while we were there,
ss-130312-electing-pope-10.ss_full.jpg

when the crowds looked more or less like the above.

On the other hand, with crowds like these,
gss-130313-new-pope-07.grid-12x3.jpg

it would be less crowded to be at the Magic Kingdom on Christmas morning.

:wave2:

Any one else having mixed feelings today?

on the one hand, it would have been nice had ABD managed to arrange for conclave while we were there,
ss-130312-electing-pope-10.ss_full.jpg

when the crowds looked more or less like the above.

On the other hand, with crowds like these,
gss-130313-new-pope-07.grid-12x3.jpg

it would be less crowded to be at the Magic Kingdom on Christmas morning.
:wave2:

Jack, been thinking about that glorious day we all had in Vatican City. We were so lucky to see the Pope that day. I can't wait to go back to see the new Papa

I feel like we're all obliged to go back now, and meet the new pope. :thumbsup2

I've been posting about too many sad things recently, so to emphasize the bright side I thought I would share a story about a major fun moment to kind of balance things out.

In the area of happy happy joy joy, the Moisture Festival starts next week, and my band is the pit band for the whole first week of shows. It will be four weeks of vaudeville and variety acts, a different show every night, and friends visiting from all over the world. I can't wait to dress up and play with my great band mates.

My band mates recently turned out to help me storm the stage during a show by my great friends Leftover Salmon at the fantastic Neptune Theater. Leftover Salmon describes their music as Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass, and they have an enthusiastic following from my generation on down to the 20 somethings. Their sound arises from a marriage of rock and roll and bluegrass and the band and my best friends here in Seattle have an endless history of fabulous pranks played on one another, starting way back in 1993. No matter what happens it is always a completely magical moment.

My friend Rhonda engineered the logistics. We have arrived into the Salmon's shows in many ways. We've done the Cancan, stolen their mascot (a Major McCheese from a McDonald's playground), and donned animal costumes. This time we decided a little marching band (it was near Mardi Gras) would be the perfect thing. I got the band together based only on my enthusiastic promise of a really great moment in time. Rhonda contacted the owner of the theater to see if he would allow us to stage a little event during the show. It turned out he was a total fan of Moisture Festival, so he enthusiastically supported our moment. He comped us into the show and the stage manager went way out of her way to help us. She had a super busy job already, but let us look around and make a plan and then got her security people to assist us. They even did their best to give us a dressing room of sorts that was not in the backstage area where we might run into the band. It was a funky closet almost completely filled with a leaking ice machine and boxes and other stuff, but it totally fit the spirit of our secret endeavor. We wanted to be a surprise, so we were always on the lookout for anyone who might give us away.

The venue was a cool space, an old fancy movie theater converted to a theater/club. There was an aisle up the left side of the theater that had a rickety set of stairs up to the stage. We decided to start playing during the applause between the third or fourth song of the first set, march up the aisle and on to the stage. We'd finish playing our tune (Second Line), Rhonda would make an announcement, and then we would play off with another song. The band arrived little by little, our drummer first in a fine jacket and carrying a marching snare drum. By the time everyone had arrived and been checked in we also had two trombones, a clarinet, two saxes and two trumpets. We told everyone the plan, got their stuff put away, and congregated in the balcony of the theater to wait for the start of the show. One of our members almost gave us away, arriving with his trombone in hand, playing. We jumped him and took away his horn. Along the way we got the report that our friend Vince, the lead singer in the band, asked another friend if we were there, and looked really disappointed when she said she thought Rhonda was maybe out of town for the weekend.

We were a fantastic flat out surprise when we appeared from the audience. The Salmons started playing along, and I got to have five minutes of rock star fame, which as it turns out is just about right in the bucket list department. The crowd really did go crazy. It was massive blazing fun. It is why guerilla band is one of my favorite things. Vince did what he usually does and made up some verses on the spot about the moment. My fellow bandies left pretty quickly after the gig, but Rhonda and I stayed and danced and partied like we were 20 until 2 am. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2F8akt6kwI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter